1.03: Hotfix for Problem with Adventurer Hall Companions

We have hotfixed the problem with adventurer hall-created companions not being able to unlock doors or chests. This should work correctly now. Without getting into too much detail, it looks like adding and removing a companion in the Stronghold can cause its voice set to be stripped. This was causing a null reference exception when they tried to unlock items.

• Like 19

We have hotfixed the problem with adventurer hall-created companions not being able to unlock doors or chests. This should work correctly now. Without getting into too much detail, it looks like adding and removing a companion in the Stronghold can cause its voice set to be stripped. This was causing a null reference exception when they tried to unlock items.

Thanks for burning the midnight oil on this

Now get some sleep

Free games updated 3/4/21

We should have a Kickstarter to bring back traditional sized hot-fixes!

Then we would need a kickstarter for the Unity engine.

The reason behind the large "hotfixes" and patches (also seen at Wasteland 2) is the Unity engine, which

makes it impossible to do small stuff without having to update everything else.

so go, tell Unity they need a kickstarter for better patching experience.

I doubt they'll listen. ^^

• Like 1

Bros, do you even sleep?

The reason behind the large "hotfixes" and patches (also seen at Wasteland 2) is the Unity engine, which

Hate to be "that guy" - But making patches that only change file DIFFERENCES have been around since the days before the floppy disc. If Obsidian can't be bothered to do that, you're getting those filesizes when changing a few simple text files within a much larger archive.

Replacing files is simpler since you don't have to have an exact version of a file - But since Unity uses really dumb archive formats, (lazy) developers who just want a patch out NOW - NOW just replace files outright.

• Like 2

Hate to be "that guy" - But making patches that only change file DIFFERENCES have been around since the days before the floppy disc. If Obsidian can't be bothered to do that, you're getting those filesizes when changing a few simple text files within a much larger archive.

Replacing files is simpler since you don't have to have an exact version of a file - But since Unity uses really dumb archive formats, (lazy) developers who just want a patch out NOW - NOW just replace files outright.

You're being that guy.

• Like 2

Both of you are pretty clueless about Unity since you are both wrong.

You’re right. That’s what allowed tonurics from inXile Entertainment to build custom patches for Wasteland 2 up to 24 times smaller than the official Steam ones.

More infos about this for the curious ones right there:

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=11081

Early teaser: I’m going to build and publish patches using a similar method for the GOG-provided Linux version of Pillars of Eternity.

More about this should come on the GOG and Obsidian forums in a couple days…

This is not Obsidian -- it's Steam. I just downloaded 1.03 from GOG and it's only 83MB whereas the Steam version (of the patch, not the hotfix) was over 800MB. The upside of Steam is that you get your patches faster. The downside is that the downloads are huge because they're not taking the time to package and test a diff-only version.

• Like 4

This is not Obsidian -- it's Steam. I just downloaded 1.03 from GOG and it's only 83MB whereas the Steam version (of the patch, not the hotfix) was over 800MB. The upside of Steam is that you get your patches faster. The downside is that the downloads are huge because they're not taking the time to package and test a diff-only version.

Steam does do diffs on your game uploads to create the patches, so I'm not sure what's going wrong here. Definitely something for Obsidian to look into though, my ISP won't like me going through 1+GB every couple of days while they do these hotfixes ;)

Maybe I'll try to disable auto update and wait for a few patches at once.

Edited by Faydark