Hi I  was wondering if you guys might be able to answer some questions for me regarding the gameplay of PoE? First off:

Can someone explain to me the mages and the grimoires or point me in the direction of a website that explains the mechanics of the system.

and secondly: Can someone explain the NPC's that you can "reach into their soul." For example, is it necassery to read every ones soul, like do they give you quests so far it has just been stories and lore about the world? I am just wondering if I should be talking to all these people or if its okay to skip a few every now and then?

thanks

I don't have time to give a long answer right now, but:

(2) They are flavour. You don't have to read all unless you want to.

Grimoires are how Wizards hold their active spells. When you defeat a wizard, you can check and if there are spells you do not currently know (there'll be a '+' sign) and you can pay to learn them. Each Grimoire allows for four spells of each level to be actively used while equipped. Using a second or third Grimoire with different sets of spells can allow you trade them out either before or during combat to have access much like swapping weapons. There will be a recovery wait if you do switch them out.

Hi I  was wondering if you guys might be able to answer some questions for me regarding the gameplay of PoE? First off:

Can someone explain to me the mages and the grimoires or point me in the direction of a website that explains the mechanics of the system.

and secondly: Can someone explain the NPC's that you can "reach into their soul." For example, is it necassery to read every ones soul, like do they give you quests so far it has just been stories and lore about the world? I am just wondering if I should be talking to all these people or if its okay to skip a few every now and then?

thanks

So mages can learn spells from the grimoires if you open up one from a mage you have killed it will have a little + mark you can click it and it will ask if you want to learn the spell. Mages have two limits a daily amount of spells they can cast per level and the the spells they have selected for that rest. Those are the spells on the right side you can add and remove those spells. The left side are the spells your mage currently knows you can use the arrows to select different level of spell 1-8 I think it is. You left click them to add them to the right side if there is room. If there isn't well just make some by removing a spell. So I think thats about it? You can use more then one Grimoire to create different layouts if you want but it has a cooldown when you switch so I am not sure how useful it really is...  But your spells per rest don't change so if you can normally use 4 level 1 spells and you used 2 and, then switch to another grimorie you can still only use the remaining 2 spells. Hope that helps with that.

On your second question nooooooo they are stories backers created I think and are only loosly part of the story. I would even suggest don't try to read them all you will just tire yourself out of reading if you do. Past that little blurb of flavor text from the yellow name it will not have any other purpose what so ever.

awesome thanks for all the quick responses. I am going to sleep after cracking out on this game for 5 hours straight and I just made it through the copperlane, brackenbury, and first fires beginning quest. there is a lot of content in this game. for the people who have finished how many hours did you put it, im just curious.

but I would like to say that this is a great successor to the baldurs gate serious, im loving it so far. I got my ass kicked in the first few dungeons, I hated those shades, shadows, and phantoms, but now that im getting some good arms and armour I can actually go a few encounters without resting or camping.

thanks for the quick response