Controversial Limerick Discussion 2

Continued from here:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/74461-controversial-limerick-discussion/

Please keep the discussion to one thread and try to be charitable with one another. No eye gouging!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I have the highest respect for the moderators on these forums. You guys are ten times better than the north korean moderators on the Bioware forum.

• Like 3

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Oh just lock them all immediately for a day. I don't think we're losing anything while the main inquiry is if an an effeminate dev is a sign of a homosexual conspiracy.

I'm going to bed, and tomorrow I'll decide if I want to continue Xenogears or restart with a new char on PoE. You guys have fun. So long as nobody figures out we're using fluoridation to sap and impurify all of your precious bodily fluids, it's all good.

Edited by Arouet
  • Like 1

Funny how you decide to leave right after you let slip that you know Eric enough to know his real name. Did you mention this when you spent the past several threads arguing for his position?

Edited by deuxhero
Never negotiate. You will only encourage more acts of terror.

"I don't think we're losing anything while the main inquiry is if an an effeminate dev is a sign of a homosexual conspiracy."

wut u tlkn' 'bout matey?

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

...that post is only 18% upvoted(meaning it was downvoted through the floor) and every reply with a score higher than 1 is negative towards the OP.

That's not even touching on how one poster = 32K+ subreddit.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

How many people have seen The Hangover 2.  In that movie, Andy from The Office has sex with a trans.  And is upset about it after the fact.  The HORROR!

Is that 'transphobic'?  I say no, but If so, should the film be censored because of that?  I say **** NO!

The limerick that got censored here is more nebulous than that and yet it was cut because a small minority were offended.  Sad.  The offended have a choice.  Don't play.  Don't watch. Don't listen.  Spend your money elsewhere.  I do not have problem with the criticism, I have a problem with Obsidian's knee jerk reaction to it.

Oh just lock them all immediately for a day. I don't think we're losing anything while the main inquiry is if an an effeminate dev is a sign of a homosexual conspiracy.

I'm going to bed, and tomorrow I'll decide if I want to continue Xenogears or restart with a new char on PoE. You guys have fun. So long as nobody figures out we're using fluoridation to sap and impurify all of your precious bodily fluids, it's all good.

this xenogears?

Xenogears_box.jpg

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

Funny how you decide to leave right after you let slip that you know Eric enough to know his real name. Did you mention this when you spent the past several threads arguing for his position?

Her, bigot.

And she posted it. On twitter.

Someday I'm going to meet a slightly intelligent bigot. It has to happen eventually, right?

Edited by Arouet
  • Like 1

I think the act of removing it is likely to bring more attention through the Streisand Effect.

As for the note itself: I know a few trans people and they would have probably snickered at that because it wasn't mean spirited as presented. More than likely the people making the most stink aren't the victims of the perceived offense.

• Like 2

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

Her, bigot.

Someday I'm going to meet a slightly intelligent bigot. It has to happen eventually, right?

You could try looking in a mirror, but you might be dissapointed. 

Sorry, I don't normally resort to jibes like that... 

Edited by ChipMHazard

Her, bigot.

Maybe if you try putting the tiara of social grace +2 on.

Just because someone rolls out a conspiracy thoery doesn't mean you should merely honk with disgust.... can't u just have an open mind? or at least dismiss things politely?

I mean, did I hurt your feelings? it sounds like it.

Edited by Kveldulf

I think the act of removing it is likely to bring more attention through the Streisand Effect.

As for the note itself: I know a few trans people and they would have probably snickered at that because it wasn't mean spirited as presented. More than likely the people making the most stink aren't the victims of the perceived offense.

Especially because I've seen the Kill All men dude's picture. If you just showed that to someone there's no way they'd think he was female.

Not even in a "can't pass" way, there's no sign he's even trying to look female.

Here's some context: http://www.themarysue.com/pillars-of-eternity-joke-removal/

I'm not going to be nice to a man who preeches Kill All Men.

Could have saved us a lot of trouble just saying that you were a transphobe instead of dressing it up in that whole freedom of speech cloak.

Her, bigot.

You could try looking in a mirror, but you might be dissapointed. 

Sorry, I don't normally resort to jibes like that... 

Her, bigot.

Well that turned into ****flinging pretty quickly. How about you both take a nap?

I'm not going to be nice to a man who preeches Kill All Men.

Could have saved us a lot of trouble just saying that you were a transphobe instead of dressing it up in that whole freedom of speech cloak.

Throughout every single thread I never saw you condemn the repeated and serious use of kill all men. At best you merely deflected from it.

Edited by deuxhero
  • Like 1

Her, bigot.

Some people just classify others' gender according to their genitalia. What's wrong with that? Seems the most reasonable way to do it.

On a side note, why haven't the mods closed the thread yet? This is going to turn into another ****ing argument about what trannies should be classified as, instead of talking about videogames.

I hate Unity.

Brief rundown of events

1) Someone posted on Twitter that a particular poem in the game was "transmisogynistic". It was then retweeted by a journalist (?), and Obsidian responded to both that they would look into it.

Now, the person who originally tweeted that complaint consistently comes across as a sociopathic monster in her tweets. So maybe Obsidian should not have treated a tweet from a person like that seriously. On the other hand, Obsidian couldn't necessarily know that this person was like that. 

2) A poll was run on the boards showing that 98% of something like 100 participants wanted to keep this in game.

Now, maybe Obsidian should have paid greater attention to that poll and the scarcity of people who found this offensive, or maybe it was OK that they didn't.

3) Obsidian then changes the limeric, and posts an update saying that the content 'failed their vetting process' and that they have 'worked with many other backers to change ("itinerate") content that didn't fit with the tone of the game', and that they have been supplied with new content by the backer, Firedorn. This is interpreted as that they forced a change, and caved to pressure from a crazy person / a tiny minority with no sense of humor. 

4) The person who originally wrote the poem, Firedorn, says that Obsidian contacted them by email and gave them free choice as to whether to change it. Whilst this is hard to reconcile with Obsidian's update, there's some theories that allow it (their message was meant as marketing to defuse criticism from SJWs).

5) Overall there's nothing really to follow up on - the backer has said he had a free choice, and the replacement poem isn't too bad and pokes fun at the whole deal. Questions that remain aren't large enough to cause a lot of noise over. 

IMO this can be closed. We aren't really getting anywhere new after this.