The combat system is terrible...

Haven't tried DA:I, but both DA:O and DA2 combat is terrible because you have infinite everything, and everything regenerates.

And you drink potions to no end.

DA:O is just slightly better because it doesn't aesthetically look like a children copy of a jrpg game.

In PoE I have finished the first chapter (then stopped to wait for a few bugs to be fixed) at hard, and I never used potions (didn't even incur in the stacking stats bug).

So, yeah, you just need to learn to manage your characters.

Of course PoE combat system isn't perfect. I also think there is a problem when you fight beneath trees or behind wall / doors. It's sometimes hard to see who is targeted on close battle fights when you have a fighter, a monk and a rogue in the melee.

Although, many of the problems you point out Zherot are features. In Pen and paper RPG, if you throw a fireball on your friends when they are in the melee, you hit them too. Forget about "modern" Bioware RPGs, that's not what we sign for when we backed the Game. Thanks Obsidian, you fulfilled our expectetions

No it's fun. This place has been too much of an echo chamber, even with the grogs-vs-everyone-else split. It's highly entertaining to see that there really are people here raging over the lack of dumbed-down MMO mechanics. I was starting to think they're a phantom of the collective subconscious. You know, the "they" ruining it for everybody somewhere out there. But gadzooks, they're actually real.

Now all we have to do is gently preach the gospel of Black Isle and His Church Obsidian to these heathens. Once they accept the Truth, the age of Incline will dawn for all.

Then we can go back to eye-gouging over dirty limericks and the removal thereof.

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

-Micromanage everything... sounds like FUN(sarcasm), seriously why no any kind of AI even the stupidiest AI of DA:I would have been welcome...

I have to disagree. Dragon Age: Inquisition is one big mess when it comes to controlling what your companions do. I prefer Pillars of Eternity, because I can at least decide what to do, without bots doing something stupid (like a mage throwing a fireball into my team, not caring for friendly fire in Dragon Age: Inquisition). I wouldn't mind scripts to set behavior of companions myself to automate at least some aspects, but all in all micromanagement is important part of this game. It's same as in turn-based games: you give orders to units and active pause is there to help you with that.

-Friendly fire and no option to turn it off, i think what hurts more the wizards or any kind of AoE spell is the fact that you cant use them, the enemies always surround your party leaving all enemies and allies clustered in one place... and that makes cipher an other classes with only FOE AOE more usefull...

If enemies surround your party you should be able to direct spells in a way that gets at least some of them and that's why some classes are meant for: to tie enemies at the front, to not let them surround you. Once enemies are engaged a mage can run where you want him to.

-Spell limits is THE MOST STUPID THING I HAVE SEEN IN AN RPG EVER, you have all this spells with your priest BUT GUESS WHAT? you are going to save the uses for the spells that restore endurance only because thats the thing some spells ARE more usefull than others AND you WILL be saving the spell uses for those not for the other spells...

You're mixing up two different issues. One is spell limit, he other is their usefulness. Spell limit makes their use more tactical, because you can't spam them each battle. The fact you complain about spells being limited proves you didn't play Infinity Engine games that used DnD system, where limit to spells was standard, so you're most likely not the target audience anyway.

-As far as i can tell there is no aggro mechanic so good luck trying to make your squishy characters to survive if an enemy randomly decides to attack them.

Put warriors (or their equivalent) in front? Besides that there are a couple of abilities and spells that help disengaging (as well as talents, etc.).

Is NOT FUN to pause the game over and over and over and over and over AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER because you have to micro manage EVERYTHING it hurts even immersion seriously, the epic music is playing in the background while everything is frozen until you do something and one milisecond later pause again so you can do another thing WTF i cant see myself controlling 6 or 7 dudes this is stupid.

I don't like micromanagement of multiple units in real time myself, but with active pause it's easy to think of this as a form of turn-based game, because you can always pause and think as long as you want over your next action. I agree game can get too fast and I have to play in slow motion, but if your problem is micromanagement as such, then it's your fault. Nobody hid the fact that game is supposed to be played with active pause (it's even called Real Time with Pause, for a reason).

You dont even get exp in battles... so maybe they did that on purpose so you skip the majority of them because they know how crappy the combat is... lol.

Or this is an RPG. You know, a Role Playing Game? And not a combat game, where you HAVE to kill all your enemies, because reasons? Combat is important - no denying that - but it should not overshadow more important aspects of the game (like role playing).

It's so damn easy to troll you people...

Stop replying to these troll posts.

• Like 3

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

I just wanted to say that moronic DnD combat system almost ruined every Infinity engine game for me back in the day.

I was hoping that Obsidian wouldn't try to imitate that ****ty combat and ruleset in POE, but yeah..

It has been a week since I have touched this game thanks to borefest of combat system (and awful inventory system doesn't help) sucking all joy out of game despite me setting it to Easy (like what I did with Planescape Torment, eventually).

I hope a future patch adds VERY EASY difficulty setting where we can just play this game like adventure game. Story story story, nothing else.

While we're at it, throw in some AI for party characters controlled by computer. They stand around staring at walls while the only character engaging in combat is the one controlled by you. Sometimes they decide to attack, but it's usually when they are hit. It's not like the combat is any good already, then you have to manage to moronic team that most of the time wouldn't even help out.

Oh and go and copy everything Divinity: Original Sin did. It has fun combat and I actually enjoyed dying on higher difficult levels in that game (then winning with new strategy of course). POE combat makes me wanna peel my face with a blunt knife, it's THAT bad.

PS: Fanboys circle-jerking in forum over Obsidian is probably the reason why combat is a ****-fest.

Edited by ortucis
  • Like 1

Hey guys, I take it back. I finally got my head around the games combat system. OP, just keep playing and go as slow as possible during combat, treat it like a chess match and you'll start to enjoy it.

Great job Obsidian!

• Like 2

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Hahahahaa....Oh... hahha... I can't....hahha... how is this even a real post? This is hilarious, really? This is real? (talking about original post)

Edited by AstroCat

Home/Gaming PC: I7-9700K@4.9GHz/Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero/EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA /Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/LG 32GK850G 31.5"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound Blaster ZX/Samsung 970 EVO x2, 850 PRO x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR5 - TrackClip Pro

Hey guys, I take it back. I finally got my head around the games combat system. OP, just keep playing and go as slow as possible during combat, treat it like a chess match and you'll start to enjoy it.

Great job Obsidian!

Waitwaitwait

Someone changed their mind?

Shoot, this isn't the Internet. Where am I? Did I make a wrong turn?

• Like 4

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Obvious troll is obvious.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Its funny how all the fanboys always call someone a troll just because we dare to criticize "their presious" whatever it is.

Only fanboys full of nostalgia would call problems features when you could easily make a wonderful game but solving the stupid issues those kind of games had back in the day, there was no need to bring those problems back as if they were features, THATS STUPID, an the only way the devs did that its because all of the stupid feedback they got from FANBOYS which is the cancer in the gaming industry because they DONT THINK, they don use this precious thing called BRAIN and logic or any kind of reasoning, a fanboy always thinks everything is good and therefore everything is perfect so ONLY A FANBOY would think bringing this problems back would be a feature.

Features /= problems.

Edited by Zherot

Its funny how all the fanboys always call someone a troll just because we dare to criticize "their presious" whatever it is.

Only fanboys full of nostalgia would call problems features when you could easily make a wonderful game but solving the stupid issues those kind of games had back in the day, there was no need to bring those problems back as if they were features, THATS STUPID, an the only way the devs did that its because all of the stupid feedback they got from FANBOYS which is the cancer in the gaming industry because they DONT THINK, they don use this precious thing called BRAIN and logic or any kind of reasoning, a fanboy always thinks everything is good and therefore everything is perfect so ONLY A FANBOY would think bringing this problems back would be a feature.

Features /= problems.

The irony is strong in this one.

• Like 3

Features /= problems.

They would not call you a troll if you could voice your opinion in a less aggressive fashion and check what were the stated goals for this game before ranting about them. Obsidian never hid their intentions and all the "issues" you are bringing here were known features before the release of the game. We did not discover them at our first playthrough, because we already knew that it would be like this.

• Like 5

Features /= problems.

Again the whole nostalgia argument is a weak excuse to dismiss people that like more in depth game... Yes in past rpg was more in depth nothing like the streamlined cinematic crap we get now. You call this Stupid i say that is more stupid complain about the nature of a game not clearly developed for your taste. Clearly even in the combat this game need people to apply in a strategic thinking but instead you call this people or who likes a game like this stupid this explains me a lot about your coherence.

Do you have problems with it? well deal with it and go play some triple AAA easy streamlined cinematic crap.

They would not call you a troll if you could voice your opinion in a less aggressive fashion and check what were the stated goals for this game before ranting about them. Obsidian never hid their intentions and all the "issues" you are bringing here were known features before the release of the game. We did not discover them at our first playthrough, because we already knew that it would be like this.

In fact, many of us funded the game explictly FOR those features.

These are not problems, they are features. Features we, the fans of the game, gladly payed for and expected. Next time, go buy another game, one that suits your needs.

This is a game for tactical combat fans, just because you played DAO on easy/normal(still ridiculously easy), doesn't mean tactical games are for you. In DAO one of the main problems was, that there was tactical AI, but you couldn't set it up to behave in a smart fashion (a mod fixed that somewhat).

The fans of this game happen to really enjoy the micromanaging, that is exactly, what we wanted.

May I advise you to play Dragon Age Inquisition instead? That seems to suit you a bit better (eet haz awesum buttens and graephic teets).