The combat system is terrible...

I like the combat pretty much just the way it is.

It's probably micro-managing, but when I'm controlling a party, I expect to have to tell them all what to do each turn. I like that much better than the "set and forget" way, which I find about as "immersive" as auto-resolve.

To me POE is better than DAO in terms of combat

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

:w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:    :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:   

I'd agree, the combat is better, and I have 100's (literally) of hours is DA:O.

Truly, as others have said, this game wasn't made for you. The things you complain about are features that fans like others and myself want. We WANT the combat like this. We grew up on and enjoyed games like Baldurs gate. If they changed the combat it'd no longer be the spiritual successor to the CRPG's we know and love. There are plenty of other games out there, go play one and have fun. Obsidian won't be changing the combat for you, as the majority of us love it. 

• Like 2

:w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:    :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:   

Translation = "What I like is good, what you like is stupid."

Go home little children.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

;DDDDDDDDDDDDDD 

• Like 1

Well, that's why you need to pay attention to the tutorial. Can't believe you missed the fun button, it's right next to the awesome button. And get some glasses.

The only thing i welcome are AI tactics scripts, big maps and romance. Really hope this will make into PoE2.

The combat system is great, the spell system can use some small tweaks though. 

I would suggest making a select  few Wizard/Druid/Priest spells from Teir1/2/3 very slowly become per encounter as you level up (beginning at level 2).  Not the big and powerful ones, rather the minor ones. For example, the small buffs, the weapon conjures, minor-heals, minor-missiles, small radius casts.

More or less to alleviate tedium for those specced to be more pure casters, before late game level 9 and 11.

Edited by Parsong
  • Like 1

I would suggest making a select  few Wizard/Druid/Priest spells from Teir1/2 (and a few from T3) slowly become per encounter as you level up.  Not the big and powerful ones, rather the minor ones. For example, the small buffs, the weapon conjures, minor-heals, minor-missiles, small radius casts.

at lvl 9 your T1 spells become aviable per encouter, at lvl 11 your T2 spells also become aviable per encounter (easy to miss, since there is no UI indicator for this).

Edit: missed the second part of your post somehow, sorry

The only thing i welcome are AI tactics scripts, big maps and romance. Really hope this will make into PoE2.

Sure, there are plenty of possible changes (including those) i would welcome. But the OP confused his personal preference with universal truth, and acted so extremely entitled, i just had to bite original.gif

Edited by pstone

Please learn how to play the game and secondly you sound like trolling. You are complaining a game that is advertised as RTwP has paused.  Just like complaining a shooting game has so many shooting.

I hope devs don't take this to heart. Because of people like you is what Dragon Age Inquisition is what we get.

Yeah, well you are wrong too, because i never complained about DA:O which is the best of those series, BUT here is the thing fanboy, DA:O has NONE of this problems that POE has.

There you are, P:E brings back game design from before DA:O. Before the games before DA:O, actually (NWN, NWN2). A lof of us felt that fantasy RPG design had gone on the wrong track with all the features you like -- no FF, aggro mechanics, cooldowns instead of per-rest spells etc. -- and wanted the old-school style games back.

Fortunately for you, there are many cRPG's made with the mechanics you like so you have lots of choice for games to play. We would very much like to keep this little retro niche we've carved ourselves with Obsidian's help though.

I believe that if you took a deep breath, studied the systems a bit, asked around about how the game is supposed to be played, and practiced a little, you too could learn to enjoy it though.

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I would suggest making a select  few Wizard/Druid/Priest spells from Teir1/2 (and a few from T3) slowly become per encounter as you level up.  Not the big and powerful ones, rather the minor ones. For example, the small buffs, the weapon conjures, minor-heals, minor-missiles, small radius casts.

at lvl 9 your T1 spells becompe per encouter, at lvl 11 your T2 spells also become per encounter.

I know, and that is (IMO) the totally wrong way to have done it.  It should have been a slow progression starting at low level.  

Would simply be more fun.

• Like 1

Please learn how to play the game and secondly you sound like trolling. You are complaining a game that is advertised as RTwP has paused.  Just like complaining a shooting game has so many shooting.

I hope devs don't take this to heart. Because of people like you is what Dragon Age Inquisition is what we get.

Yeah, well you are wrong too, because i never complained about DA:O which is the best of those series, BUT here is the thing fanboy, DA:O has NONE of this problems that POE has.

Fortunately for you, there are many cRPG's made with the mechanics you like so you have lots of choice for games to play. We would very much like to keep this little retro niche we've carved ourselves with Obsidian's help though.

Oh, please god. I've missed these games so much. So, so much. I don't care if a millions games of that other style are made, played, and enjoyed by the masses....I just want to be able to play these ones.

:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

;DDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Man, you're killin' it with the retorts, really got us IE fans on the ropes...

• Like 2

While the game is undoubtedly flawed, the original poster is hardly qualified to judge.  This game is designed around the likes of Baldur's Gate and other pen & paper adaptions.  I expect that Obsidian would continue to rebalance the game, especially if expansions and sequels are released for the same ruleset.

Combat system is terrible because Hard difficulty isn't very hard and gets steadily easier as the game goes on. Not for any of the reasons you bring up. Just get your whining ass to defiance bay do all the side quests and from that point on you can let a cat walking across your keyboard control the combat.

It is great. I'm enjoying it way more than I expected from the BB.

either you havent played very far into the game or you enjoy steamrolling. Generally I find your posts to be pretty well written but this statement makes me wonder what game you are talking about.

The combat in this Mario game is horrible. Having to jump all the time gets really boring. Why can't I kick the enemies, or shoot them with a TEC-9? Throwing flaming flower buds, whaaaat? I was loving the game's story, and Mario's relationship with his estranged brother Luigi, but this repetitive combat system is just ruining the game for me. 7/10, would not play again. 

• Like 2

I only agree with the view problem. Sometimes the fight is happening beneath doors or trees and its very hard to see. Also, I think that even kwoning that fighters and other classes can engage more than one enemy, some kind of aggro skill would be welcome. Enemies usually keep attacking the char they attacked first until one of them died, we should have a way to change this.