The combat system is terrible...

-Micromanage everything... sounds like FUN(sarcasm), seriously why no any kind of AI even the stupidiest AI of DA:I would have been welcome...

-Friendly fire and no option to turn it off, i think what hurts more the wizards or any kind of AoE spell is the fact that you cant use them, the enemies always surround your party leaving all enemies and allies clustered in one place... and that makes cipher an other classes with only FOE AOE more usefull...

-You cant see **** when everyone gathers together you cant tell what the hell is happening and because of the way the game is designed you cant obviously turn the camera or something.

-Spell limits is THE MOST STUPID THING I HAVE SEEN IN AN RPG EVER, you have all this spells with your priest BUT GUESS WHAT? you are going to save the uses for the spells that restore endurance only because thats the thing some spells ARE more usefull than others AND you WILL be saving the spell uses for those not for the other spells...

-As far as i can tell there is no aggro mechanic so good luck trying to make your squishy characters to survive if an enemy randomly decides to attack them.

Is NOT FUN to pause the game over and over and over and over and over AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER because you have to micro manage EVERYTHING it hurts even immersion seriously, the epic music is playing in the background while everything is frozen until you do something and one milisecond later pause again so you can do another thing WTF i cant see myself controlling 6 or 7 dudes this is stupid.

You dont even get exp in battles... so maybe they did that on purpose so you skip the majority of them because they know how crappy the combat is... lol.

A shame because i was really liking the other stuff in the game, the classes (not really the spells i think they are random spells that dont even have some synergy or something just random ideas thrown in there), the story of my character and how you interact with other people and stuff i mean NOTHING MIND BLOWING but it was entertaining and decent, but hell the combat sucks BIG TIME.

Please learn how to play the game and secondly you sound like trolling. You are complaining a game that is advertised as RTwP has paused.  Just like complaining a shooting game has so many shooting.

I hope devs don't take this to heart. Because of people like you is what Dragon Age Inquisition is what we get.

• Like 5

Please learn how to play the game and secondly you sound like trolling. You are complaining a game that is advertised as RTwP has paused.  Just like complaining a shooting game has so many shooting.

I hope devs don't take this to heart. Because of people like you is what Dragon Age Inquisition is what we get.

Yeah, well you are wrong too, because i never complained about DA:O which is the best of those series, BUT here is the thing fanboy, DA:O has NONE of this problems that POE has.

Sounds like this kind of game isn't up your alley, yes.

My most played games are RPG so you are wrong.

Like i said to another person, this ARE PROBLEMS NOT FEATURES.

I didn't say RPGs aren't up your alley. I said this kind of game isn't up your alley. 

I mean, if Obsidian said "OK we have to change the game to fix everything Zherot said", they'd have to make a pretty different game, right? They'd have to rebalance basically the entire thing, too. I think that's a pretty good indication that this game, at least, isn't up your alley.

• Like 9

Sounds like this kind of game isn't up your alley, yes.

Like i said to another person, this ARE PROBLEMS NOT FEATURES.

I didn't say RPGs aren't up your alley. I said this kind of game isn't up your alley. 

I mean, if Obsidian said "OK we have to change the game to fix everything Zherot said", they'd have to make a pretty different game, right? They'd have to rebalance basically the entire thing, too. I think that's a pretty good indication that this game, at least, isn't up your alley.

Didnt you read?, the things im reporting ARE PROBLEMS NOT FEATURES, please dont make me REPEAT MYSELF.

With all due respect, this game was made for people old enough to remember Baldur's Gate.

I don't think you're the target audience.

Yeah, when does those games were released again?...

Its 2015, they should have aleviated those problems, or now its a good thing to have all of this problems again just for the sake of the nostalgia?, seriously, why bring those problems AS A FEATURE, thats stupid.

I don't think its nostalgia, this is the first time a RTwP game actually really gripped me. I'm digging the control I have over all the characters, the battles have a different feel that I'm not used to and tbh I'm enjoying it very much.

Edited by redneckdevil
  • Like 3

-Micromanage everything... sounds like FUN(sarcasm), seriously why no any kind of AI even the stupidiest AI of DA:I would have been welcome...

-Friendly fire and no option to turn it off, i think what hurts more the wizards or any kind of AoE spell is the fact that you cant use them, the enemies always surround your party leaving all enemies and allies clustered in one place... and that makes cipher an other classes with only FOE AOE more usefull...

-You cant see **** when everyone gathers together you cant tell what the hell is happening and because of the way the game is designed you cant obviously turn the camera or something.

-Spell limits is THE MOST STUPID THING I HAVE SEEN IN AN RPG EVER, you have all this spells with your priest BUT GUESS WHAT? you are going to save the uses for the spells that restore endurance only because thats the thing some spells ARE more usefull than others AND you WILL be saving the spell uses for those not for the other spells...

-As far as i can tell there is no aggro mechanic so good luck trying to make your squishy characters to survive if an enemy randomly decides to attack them.

Is NOT FUN to pause the game over and over and over and over and over AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER because you have to micro manage EVERYTHING it hurts even immersion seriously, the epic music is playing in the background while everything is frozen until you do something and one milisecond later pause again so you can do another thing WTF i cant see myself controlling 6 or 7 dudes this is stupid.

You dont even get exp in battles... so maybe they did that on purpose so you skip the majority of them because they know how crappy the combat is... lol.

A shame because i was really liking the other stuff in the game, the classes (not really the spells i think they are random spells that dont even have some synergy or something just random ideas thrown in there), the story of my character and how you interact with other people and stuff i mean NOTHING MIND BLOWING but it was entertaining and decent, but hell the combat sucks BIG TIME.

This is why you should read reviews before buying games...

• Like 1

I agree with you.  I like this game a lot except for it's combat system.   In ways it's similar to Dragon Age Origins, but without the tactics system. I'm going to try the game again tonight.

Edited by luzarius
  • Like 1

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

I love this game.  To me it is BG3, a game I have been waiting for since 2001's Throne of Bhaal.

That said, the combat, for me, is a weakness.  No scripts/AI means you have to pause non stop to be successful, at least on Hard.  I prefer turn based combat systems in general and I think, especially in the absence of party AI, that a turn based combat system would actually flow more smoothly than the existing system.

Indoor combat where there is a choke point is especially painful.  The pathfinding is abysmal and even if you place your tanks at what appears to be a choke point on the map, there is no guarantee that actually works out.

• Like 1

The combat system isn't terrible. I think that's overreacting a little, but it was my first reaction too.

It's just perhaps over-engineered (thanks Josh :/).

It will take some time to get used to it, but I've learned to enjoy it.

Now I'm only having trouble with memorizing what each condition does, seeing how there is so many of them, and each boasts 4-5 combat effects (thanks Josh).

So the combat system could have been simpler, but its still fun, and it certainly isn't terrible.

Edited by Luj1
  • Like 1

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

With all due respect, this game was made for people old enough to remember Baldur's Gate.

I don't think you're the target audience.

Yeah, when does those games were released again?...

Its 2015, they should have aleviated those problems, or now its a good thing to have all of this problems again just for the sake of the nostalgia?, seriously, why bring those problems AS A FEATURE, thats stupid.

1. Some people see features where you see flaws.

2. The games development was funded by those same people.

3. This game just isn't for you and it is probably best if you find another.

• Like 6

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

Yeah, well you are wrong too, because i never complained about DA:O which is the best of those series, BUT here is the thing fanboy, DA:O has NONE of this problems that POE has.

Let me know what i'm wrong at? Just because you have different preferences and you call other games that don't suit what you want as problems? To me POE is better than DAO in terms of combat. I completed DAO too and i would say i'm glad this game is much different than DAO or to be EXACT, not copying DAO at all.

Edited by Archaven
  • Like 1

A lot of the combat mechanics are terrible but what you just described is your own ignorance...clearly you had no idea what kind of game you bought...your fault.

He is just making a thread about devs not making a game HE wants. Glad devs made a game that majority of people want.

A lot of the combat mechanics are terrible but what you just described is your own ignorance...clearly you had no idea what kind of game you bought...your fault.

He is just making a thread about devs not making a game HE wants. Glad devs made a game that majority of people want.

Well if by majority you mean a couple yes men from the SA forums then yea :)

But seriously they made the TYPE of game most of us wanted....just it got all JEed up.