Best race for PURE tank - Wild Orlan ? (going pure resolve/perception)

Im not gonna do any fighting, just tank. What you think about

20 Resolve

20 Perception

10 Might

10 Dex

10 Con (seeing how 3% per lvl is not so important for tanks, the base class having more impact on Health)

8 Int

And for Race I was thinking 3 options

1) Wild Orlan - Allows 20 per and 20 res

2) Moon Godlike - pulses that heal Endurance seem VERY nice (but the healed amount depends on Might, mine would be low)

3) Fire Godlike - Sweet damage reduction

What you think? Thanks

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

I definitely consider those tier one options for tanks, but also keep in mind the Coastal Aumaua get bonuses vs Prone and Stun (Devastating in higher difficulties), Mountain Dwarves get bonuses vs Poison and Disease, and the unlikely Wood Elf gets bonus Perception and +5 deflection and Reflex against archers and mages (Which is actually pretty significant if he gets targeted by all the melees and the ranged enemies), while the almost never used Pale Elves get bonus DR against heat and cold damage.

Edited by Infares

20 Resolve

20 Perception

10 Might

10 Dex

10 Con (seeing how 3% per lvl is not so important for tanks, the base class having more impact on Health)

8 Int

2) Moon Godlike - pulses that heal Endurance seem VERY nice (but the healed amount depends on Might, mine would be low)

What you think? Thanks

you are gonna be fine for most fights but any casters that target fortitude or reflexes is gonna hit you relatively hard, deflection is great early game but hwen you start encounteringa wider range of opponents you need resistnaces to everything, i would go moon godlike and put 14 points in con and 12 might, maybe dump dexterity and pump con. These just go so well with moon godlike, you essentially double your hp because you get 3 heals that heal you back to full HP (well the 25% one almost does

• Like 1

20 Resolve

20 Perception

10 Might

10 Dex

8 Int

What you think? Thanks

you are gonna be fine for most fights but any casters that target fortitude or reflexes is gonna hit you relatively hard, deflection is great early game but hwen you start encounteringa wider range of opponents you need resistnaces to everything, i would go moon godlike and put 14 points in con and 12 might, maybe dump dexterity and pump con. These just go so well with moon godlike, you essentially double your hp because you get 3 heals that heal you back to full HP (well the 25% one almost does

Hmmm ok, that's tricky. Btw I will play on normal

So you think Wild Orlan is good for pure Deflection, But Moon godlike better overall (and to support the rest of frontline) ?

Edited by Luj1

~ Kaine

With that much deflection, the moon godlike's passive should almost never come into effect.

But spells that target saves could drop his endurance fast though ?

~ Kaine

He will get shield deflection bonus to reflex, the only problem will be fortitude saves. Just slap a +saves item on it and get the +10 to fort saves and the +10 against stun talents and you should be fine even on PotD.

Instead of 10 mig/con I would go with 3 mig/17 con. If you go chanter you can still use summons and they will deal a lot of damage (especially wurms). And you would get fairly good endurance too.

He will get shield deflection bonus to reflex, the only problem will be fortitude saves. Just slap a +saves item on it and get the +10 to fort saves and the +10 against stun talents and you should be fine even on PotD.

Instead of 10 mig/con I would go with 3 mig/17 con. If you go chanter you can still use summons and they will deal a lot of damage (especially wurms). And you would get fairly good endurance too.

yea the problem is when the rolls fail if he will have a large enough health pool so survive, some of the heavy hitting caster can burst you down in like two spells,n having said that i suspect that is less of a problem with a team and on lower difficulties

Edited by Ceranai

I went Wild Orlan

18 Con

20 Res

20 Per

8 Str

6 Dex

6 Int

In total giving me +12 to all saves (Fort, Ref, Will)

and +20 to Deflection

• Like 1

~ Kaine

It's not really necessary to tank so stack so much defence on tanks really, you're just trading free damage for survivability that isn't really needed. 

Optimized wild orlan tanks basically don't need a shield for the first several hours of the game. <.<

I put some thought into this as I was planning out a solo tanky chanter build and my conclusion was basically the following:

-Either you have sufficient defense and are very rarely hit or you die real fast (this is solo thinking)

-All of the defense based racials are situational: Wild - need a will attack, Elf- need distance, Amaua - only prone, dwarf- only poitson.

In all of the racial cases if you have good enough defenses anyway they don't matter.  For the one with either DT or heal I figured if that is regularly somehow saving your life you are kind of screwed anyway.

So since Wild Orlans get slightly better tanking stats I went with them but I don't think it matters that much.  Whether their racial is actually better is debatable, when it triggers its better.  But in the end you still need really good defense when you are not getting will attacked or whatever.  So in other words you absolutely have to build your tank as if the racials never occur since they are probably not even happening 50% of the time.

It's not really necessary to tank so stack so much defence on tanks really, you're just trading free damage for survivability that isn't really needed. 

So what numbers we talking about?I thought that 18 PER/RES is enough for tank, and leave CON at 10.And rest is spread to all stats.