Prisoner Escapes

Cronstintein

Question

I'm not sure this is technically a bug but these guys break out almost immediately.  Before I could even make it back to the castle they escape! Gimme a freaking break, do I have a prison or what?  Really pissing me off tbh, from now on it's death for everyone.  At least that way I get the loot from their corpse (which I SHOULD be getting when imprisoning them!!!!!!)

Frustrated!

22 answers to this question

I'm sure it is but I think it's an annoying design flaw that I can spend resources on a prison that basically does nothing for me but cost me items.

If you need 30+ security to be able to use the prison then it should have more prerequisites (walls, etc..) or have a warning in the text.

This is really irritating. I had 2 prisoners and both of then escaped. The stronghold is like the whole game. Nothing makes sense. You don't know what has on effect on what, nothing makes sense. Why bother? The game would have been much better off wothout the stronghold or in this case the prison...

• Like 1

I agree completely.  The stronghold has potential that ends up unrealized.  And the prison is a particularly frustrating element:  it sounds really cool.  Then you catch someone and it feels even cooler!  Then they immediately escape and the house of cards falls in pile of annoyance.

I've only had one escape ever. As ForgottenSpork asked above, what's you're security? If it's 10 then it probably makes sense that your prisoners are escaping. If it's 30, then yeah, the devs should probably take a look.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Lack of guards because you have ****ty security. You're not interested in troubleshooting, you just want to whine. Got it.

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

That sounds suspect. Again, I've never had an escape. Could be a bug.

Lack of guards because you have ****ty security. You're not interested in troubleshooting, you just want to whine. Got it.

Oh you just want to be a douche. Got it.

What exactly is the game-play/enjoyment benefit of having prisoners randomly escape with no player interaction?

Either have it be an event or just remove it.  As it is now is just lame.

Edited by Cronstintein

lol.

The bellyaching forum is about 3 up from this one. This forum is for people with actual bugs. Run along now.

Not sure how 'balancing' escapes is of any use. So they'd escape a week later, or two. How nice. What should be done about it, is build a side-quest for some people you can imprison. To make the whole prison thing rewarding enough to have and maintain. Maybe a prisoner would know a secret or two that they are willing to share for their freedom after a week of flogging. Who knows... But no. That would be interesting. And therefore it has no place in PoE. Could be that some players miss that 'content'.

For me: I had 2 escapes in act 3. Security was at ~42. It was annoying, but realizing that all I could do was maybe release them for a pittance if and when a relative would show up, I did not find it in myself to care too much.

Not sure how 'balancing' escapes is of any use. So they'd escape a week later, or two. How nice. What should be done about it, is build a side-quest for some people you can imprison. To make the whole prison thing rewarding enough to have and maintain. Maybe a prisoner would know a secret or two that they are willing to share for their freedom after a week of flogging. Who knows... But no. That would be interesting. And therefore it has no place in PoE. Could be that some players miss that 'content'.

For me: I had 2 escapes in act 3. Security was at ~42. It was annoying, but realizing that all I could do was maybe release them for a pittance if and when a relative would show up, I did not find it in myself to care too much.

We use the term "balance" very broadly. For instance, balancing a quest can range from just adjusting the experience reward all the way to removing or adding entire characters from the quest line.

In this case, there are a few things lacking from the prison that you have all helped point out, so we would like to change it to make it feel better. This is a difficult task, especially due to it already being a part of people's games as it is now. This means that if we are able to make changes, it will take time and can be restricted based on the core functionality that is already in place. But rest assured, this issue is known to the team. Thanks again for your help, everyone!

Just to pile on - I have 22 prestige and 40 security  + 8 guards  (+ a 5/5 visitor) - when so 27/45, when they leave, I have a prison break  (have reloaded 10 times and although the prisoner escaping changes,  there is always a break...)

Is this working as intended? Cause no matter what i do my prisoners always seem to escape. Do you even get anything special for keeping prisoners? Do any quests involve having prisoners?

^no quests - you can sell them to slavers or animancers.  (Random stronghold 'event' - "An animancer has arrived seeking subjects for his experiments").  I've heard you can get ransom offers from family (but I've never encountered that).

In my first game, I took one prisoner (a bad wizard guy) and nobody offered to ransom him.  I was playing a good guy so I didn't sell him to the slaver or animancer who offered.

In my next game, I was playing a cruel guy.  The prisoner I took escaped before I could even make it back to the stronghold (and I didn't leave it more than a day) so no fun there either.

I went back to talk to the prison guard and he didn't even comment (so I killed him :p )

IMO Obs need to fix it so that even reasonable security = no breaks.  There can be assaults to rescue rich/influential prisoners - 'auto-resolve' might result in prisoner escaping, but not auto-breaks.

I also like the idea of prisoners offering up info for their freedom - maybe for the expansion?

You should also get their gear (maybe sent to treasury chest) when you take them prisoner.

This could be a fun mechanic.  As it stands, it's a bit random in execution.

Edited by Silent Winter
  • Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

It's bad because killing them on the spot literally gives you better loot most of the time. If it doesn't you have a high chance of them escaping a few days later while you wait for that animancer and slaver to offer you 200-1.2k copper.

At least killing them gives me the satisfaction knowing they aren't alive and I have their drops.

Is this working as intended? Cause no matter what i do my prisoners always seem to escape. Do you even get anything special for keeping prisoners? Do any quests involve having prisoners?

^no quests - you can sell them to slavers or animancers.  (Random stronghold 'event' - "An animancer has arrived seeking subjects for his experiments").  I've heard you can get ransom offers from family (but I've never encountered that).

In my first game, I took one prisoner (a bad wizard guy) and nobody offered to ransom him.  I was playing a good guy so I didn't sell him to the slaver or animancer who offered.

In my next game, I was playing a cruel guy.  The prisoner I took escaped before I could even make it back to the stronghold (and I didn't leave it more than a day) so no fun there either.

I went back to talk to the prison guard and he didn't even comment (so I killed him :p )

IMO Obs need to fix it so that even reasonable security = no breaks.  There can be assaults to rescue rich/influential prisoners - 'auto-resolve' might result in prisoner escaping, but not auto-breaks.

I also like the idea of prisoners offering up info for their freedom - maybe for the expansion?

You should also get their gear (maybe sent to treasury chest) when you take them prisoner.

This could be a fun mechanic.  As it stands, it's a bit random in execution.

Cheers for the info.

They should add an option so that you can turn off escapes. It'd solve alot of hassle