Custom adventurers always 1 lvl lower than you?

So they are forcing us to use story companions ? But I want another fighter

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

Here's the thing, if you rush to the first village and skip a lot of the early content, your adventurer companions, while technically starting at level 1, will actually be just 2000 experience behind your player character. Once you get several levels up it'll actually end up being like a half level difference, and even less than that once you're edging towards endgame.

• Like 4

If you make the adventurers shortly after the leaving the starter dungeon, they shouldn't be more than 1k or so experience behind. Which is one or one and a half quests later on.

Edit: Ninjas are real.

Edited by mazeltov
  • Like 1

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

If you make the adventurers shortly after the leaving the starter dungeon, they shouldn't be more than 1k or so experience behind. Which is one or one and a half quests later on.

Edit: Ninjas are real.

How do you manage 1k behind? Best I've ever done is like 2050ish and that was avoiding all but two encounters in the tutorial dungeon.

How do you manage 1k behind? Best I've ever done is like 2050ish and that was avoiding all but two encounters in the tutorial dungeon.

I haven't done a second playthrough, but the adventurer I picked up in Gilded Vale is still 2k behind, and I had done a few things around Gilded Vale first. Was just shy of level three when I hired him actually.

I figured a pure rush could get lower, but, maybe not.

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

Good advice but Im lvl 5 now (flat level 5, just leveld up)

Should I get an adventurer lvl 4? How big difference is that ?

~ Kaine

Ok I just checked . The difference Is 4k .   Is that a lot ? Is it worth it? I really need another fighter to tank :)

EDIT: Figured that towards the end they can even become the same level?

Edited by Luj1

~ Kaine

One level doesn't mean that much imo. Custom companions make up for it with good stats, good ability selection, and better synergy. If you are a completionist, you will hit the level cap at the beginning of chapter 3, anyway...

Edited by pstone
  • Like 1

One level doesn't mean that much imo. Custom companions make up for it with good stats, good ability selection, and better synergy. If you are a completionist, you will hit the level cap at the beginning of chapter 3, anyway...

nice thanks

~ Kaine

Ok I just checked . The difference Is 4k .   Is that a lot ? Is it worth it? I really need another fighter to tank :)

EDIT: Figured that towards the end they can even become the same level?

A custom team can be made 20 times better than the compainion teams

I mean aside from the companions generally being poorly optimised some build are just so OP that levels dont really matter, for example my 5 chanter 1 druid build could probably handle the quests Im doing now at level 6 without breaking a sweat, i mean i just walked into raedrics keep at level two, went straight from prologue to inn, then from inn to the castle.

(this is in PoTD trial of iron mode, i have yet to come close to dying well i almost died when i was playing with a different build which is why i switched back to 5 chanters (5 because poer level of chant there are 5 different chants so with this build i have all 5 level one chants running all the time and after 12 seconds i get 5 phantoms that absolutely destroy anyone.)

Also the way this build works you jsut have to build your chanters tanky enough to survive the first 12 seconds then it really doesnt matter, before I was just summoning then i went afk, now ive optimised them and made them into ranged archers (ranged because with 5 phantoms they often cant reach the opponent)

Edited by Ceranai
  • Like 2

So you mean I should go for it? :) Ok. I don't think 4k exp is a big difference

I need 1 more fighter. Im gonna go with 20 res 20 per wild orlan

Edited by Luj1

~ Kaine

So you mean I should go for it? :) Ok. I don't think 4k exp is a big difference

I need 1 more fighter. Im gonna go with 20 res 20 per wild orlan

Some of them are not so bad, some of them are garbage, i always make my own, eg 6 moonl godike barbarians, turn auto attack on, go afk, come back and move them to next encounter, 6 moonlike with 18 might and 18 con= 18 heals that will bring everyone still standing back to pretty much full hp, thats 18 heals and high aoe dps.

And yea that wild orlan is never gonna die, problem with orlans is their model is small so its harder to block ai pathing with them means its easier for mobs to get to your back line

Edited by Ceranai
  • Like 1

You've given me nice idea for a next party ! 6 Moon Barbarians it is ! :D

~ Kaine

So far as I can tell, hiring the highest level possible adventurer is always best. Since experience is shared, your lower-level party members will always be behind, and if you get two companions at lvl 2-3, they'll be at most 3-5k XP behind, which is a miniscule difference at level 5-7 and beyond. If you can tank encounters as a Paladin or Fighter, it's easier, but even with a ranged/low Health & Endurance character, it's better to get friends early rather than late, as the differences in XP grow as you progress. As a general rule, since any hired companion will be a full level below your last full level, it's best to hire any companions right after you level up.

So far as I can tell, hiring the highest level possible adventurer is always best. Since experience is shared, your lower-level party members will always be behind, and if you get two companions at lvl 2-3, they'll be at most 3-5k XP behind, which is a miniscule difference at level 5-7 and beyond. If you can tank encounters as a Paladin or Fighter, it's easier, but even with a ranged/low Health & Endurance character, it's better to get friends early rather than late, as the differences in XP grow as you progress. As a general rule, since any hired companion will be a full level below your last full level, it's best to hire any companions right after you level up.

If you can scrape together the money to create all 8 of your adventurers when your main character has 2k experience your party will effectively be the same level forever, even the 3 you keep in the Inn.

Between the preorder ring and the Disappointer, you should have enough money upon first arriving at the town to get all 8 of them, and mix/match the gear you have to outfit them all cheaply.

• Like 1