The man who waits (can't progress main quest)

DRos

Question

I can't progress beyond this quest, got to the point where i was going to "question the animancers about suspicoius activity" downstairs (one was already killed during the necromances quest, moedred i think his name was), but I could only reach one , the door the sanitarium and to one of the animancers (door to Riplys room) are locked and require key. Went back to the statue and he spoke as if I had completed the quest discussing the resolution and the patients i had never met. After that I cant speak to him, and the doors downstairs are still locked. Any workarounds or fixes for this?

was going to provide savegame but looking in %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity\Saves i only found old saves from beta, deleted those and saved again but its not showing up in this folder, using steam.

13 answers to this question

Save game folder should be %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity.

Any chance that the saves are one folder up in the hierarchy that you posted?

Jorge

Hi Oscuro,

I can not find the saves in there, that folder contains 0 files for me (see screenshot) so must be stored somewhere else in my case. Only have one user on the pc and running windows 8.1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0069gmlvjczaof/missingSavegames.png?dl=0 

Replayed everything past woedica temple and did the quest again which worked out fine this time, so not a blocker anymore for my part. But i can still provide that savegame if it helps you identify the issue. Assuming i can find the savegame file that is...

I have the same problem, i accepted the quest from the stone watcher, to find out whats going on downstairs. I went down, then when i saw that the door is open, i left the sanitarium to do sidequests first (i prioritise them before the main quests, because i like to finish them first). When i came back, and talked to the watcher, it was talking to me, like i already explored the area downstairs and found the clues. However i did NOTHING at all beforehand. After this little chat the stone watcher gave me the next quest, to go back down, but now the door is closed, and i dont have the key to open. Plus i cannot talk to the watcher, nothing happens when i try! 

I cant reload to a previous save, because i dont have any form that long before. And even if i have had one i wouldn do it. That would be such a waste... Is there any progress about fixing this? You know its a main quest and a quite gamebreaking one.

I guess that none of the beta testers accepted the quest, talked to the statue, but then instead of actually doing the quest... turned around and left to go do something entirely different.

gotta admit, I can imagine that one slipping through the cracks.

Edited by Ichthyic

Hi,

I got the same problem.

Basicaly the main quest "The man who waits" is broken.

I started the quest directly after the temple of woedeca and I began the quest and talked to the head of the sanitorium (Ethelmore) after that I talked to Audmer about the quest which resulted in the removal of the dialog option about the Assasin guild.

At that stage I stopped with the quest and started to continue with other quests after 14 hours of gameplay I continued with the quest "The man who waits". This resulted in Ethelmore acting like I already finished the Quest and when I ended the dialog the quest in the questlog didn't continue and Ethelmore is not talking to me anymore.

At any state when I go down to lvl 2 both doors are locked.

One workaround I found was to kill the 2 guards in lvl2 after that you get the Key for the main door, but the whole Sanitorium is hostile.

Here is the broken save with the ouput log files on googledrive: .

I tried to reproduce it by loading the 14 hours old save and doing some quests but I didn't find the issue that happened during the 14 hours play.

Yep busted for me also. Everything is normal up until the giant fight starts when you talk to the prisoner. After that I can talk to everyone and they give me quest sounding dialogue but the quest log stays the same.

Kind of a bummer that I keep having to come back to these forums! 

Save files are here: http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/7db8bjWwDXMCIBd9HjzWII0M6CeoiEG1

Hi,

i encounter the same problem with the quest "the man who waits": The door in the sanatorium will not open, alltough i allready talked to the statue, that should let me in. If i talk to the statue again, it asks me, what happened down there. Questlog still says, i have to go there and check for the patients. Really annoying bug ;-)

Here is my savegame:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/ok28vv

Looking forward to a quick solution.

Edited by strohrum@gmx.net

Save game folder should be %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity.

Any chance that the saves are one folder up in the hierarchy that you posted?

Jorge

Hi Oscuro,

I can not find the saves in there, that folder contains 0 files for me (see screenshot) so must be stored somewhere else in my case. Only have one user on the pc and running windows 8.1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0069gmlvjczaof/missingSavegames.png?dl=0 

did you perhaps change your windows svaegame folder location

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/76881-change-saved-games-folder/

?

PIllars of eternty (Hard) 1st playtrough: 155h, 38 m (main Ranger with bear(bow), Eder, Durance(off tank), Hirvais(off tank), Kana(ranged), Aloth/GM)
PIllars of eternty (PtoD) 2nd playtrough: 88h 30 m (main Bleak Walker Paladin, Eder, Barbarian, Monk, Rogue (ranged) Cypher(wand)
(not counting reloads and experimenting)
status i love the game, hate the bugs, and wish for better AI and Pathfinding

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78749-needed-qualyty-of-life-improvements-information-and-transparency/

Yep busted for me also. Everything is normal up until the giant fight starts when you talk to the prisoner. After that I can talk to everyone and they give me quest sounding dialogue but the quest log stays the same.

Kind of a bummer that I keep having to come back to these forums! 

Save files are here: http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/7db8bjWwDXMCIBd9HjzWII0M6CeoiEG1

If anyone knows a work around for this quest I will be just as happy to hear it. My situtation is that after the fight with the prisoners my journal doesn't update anymore and although I can talk to Caedman and the statue as if the quest is progressing nothing happens.

Edit: Argh. I feel like a dunce. I don't think my quest was bugged after all. I believed it wasn't giving me any quest rewards or journal changes when you go upstairs and talk to the statue. It turns out the journal changes, xp awarded after RIGHT AFTER the fight begins so I missed it. So even though dialogue and fighting occurs after you talk to the spirit jumping guy the quest has ended by that point.

Edited by hayt