Limerick edit thread 2

I don't think Obsidian cared all that much but were obviously concerned PR wise, but they probably underestimated the support in the gaming community as well as the sensitivity at the moment in the industry when it comes to censorship in light of the gamergate controversy. It was all done amicably, but sadly a shirt storm has ensued anyway and no one has come out looking particularly good apart from the backer and his classy reply to it. 

So do we have a source for this statement? If so I am not happy but fine with it. 

Why aren't you happy? The backer didn't get screwed. Isn't that what you wanted?

Frankly, I thought he was pretty brilliant about it.  His changes were mature in that he made sure to tell everyone that he was only joking and meant no harm, thereby acknowledging that he understood people took offense, but he also lightly chastised everyone folks for overreacting a bit, cuz hey, there's a right way and a wrong way to provide criticism...and overall the act of changing it at all was a nice gesture to try to keep the peace.  Win win for him.  People should move on.

• Like 2

Haha how is anyone upset with this? It's a pretty perfect follow up poem.

It claims that the original text was "misread", when most of us understood its hateful message just fine. The author is just trying to cover up his transgressions, and Obsidian is giving him a platform to do so.

The right thing to do would be to pull the text, pay the backer his money back, and make a very clear statement: "we do not want and we do not need customers like you".

What's the text of the new limerick?

"Here lies Firedorn, a bard, a poet

He was also a card, but most didn't know it

A poem he wrote in jest was misread

They asked for blood, so now he's just dead"

I can't complain overly much, then.  Would have been better on Obsidian's part to do nothing in my eyes, but this is probably the best realistic outcome.

Edited by Zanos

Even if the backer asked for it to be changed, this is still true

Reminder that this got priority over literally ever single bug that's still in the game.

Haha, Jesus Christ. This is really an asspull and you guys know it. Let me guess you are the guys who got upset about Lil' XT because you thought you'd have a new dungeon if he wasn't put in?

Edited by Worm

"If Firedorn is OK with it, I'm OK with it."

He really had no choice. They were gonna change it anyways. This was a way for him to still get his limerick in and still get a nice lashing on those who hate him. But, trust me, even if they told Firedorn that it was his choice it really wasn't. It was never his choice.

• Like 2

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

And you know what? The bull**** in the PR line Obsidian put out STILL loses me as a fan. They didn't say the backer wanted it changed, they said THEY wanted to change it.

Either Firedorn didn't really have a choice, or Obsidian straight up lied to the people funding it.

Edited by deuxhero
Never negotiate. You will only encourage more acts of terror.

He really had no choice. They were gonna change it anyways. This was a way for him to still get his limerick in and still get a nice lashing on those who hate him. But, trust me, even if they told Firedorn that it was his choice it really wasn't. It was never his choice.

This may or may not be the truth. We don't have any way to know for sure. We can either take the Backer at his word and call it a day until Obsidian asks for more money for something else, or we can fight a lost cause in the name of someone who isn't interested in fight anymore. This one's done, for now, but again, next time Obsidian comes calling for cash, well, I got a loooooooooong memory...

"A poem he wrote in jest was misread

They asked for blood, so now he's just dead"

I like how the autor of the limmerick continues to troll the angry mob :devil:

That's what I've been saying from the start. Obsidian did not "cave under the pressure", they gave Firedorn all the freedom he wanted to handle that so called crisis.

• Like 1

And you know what? The bull**** in the PR line Obsidian put out STILL loses me as a fan. They didn't say the backer wanted it changed, they said THEY wanted to change it.

Are they OK with lying to people funding them?

The backer himself has clarified the situation, and while I'm not happy with them even having to do this in the first place - they allowed him to make a joke at the expense of the perma offended people which was even funnier than the other one.

I'm deeply saddened by the reaction of the community to this. That's all.

Agreed.  People made their case on both sides of the issue.  Obsidian listened and made up its own mind about how best to respond.  Respect their decision and move on.  The prolonged and irrational anti-"SJW" tantrum is effing infantile.

No it is just freedom of speech. And a reaction to their behavior since its getting more and more stupid every day.  And now the line is almost completely crossed for many people. 

Whose behavior?  From where I'm sitting, it seems both "sides" get way out of control and lose all sense of objectivity and rational thought almost every single time.

As for freedom of speech, indeed.  People on both sides exercised their freedom of speech to make their case.  Obsidian was 100% free to react in whatever way it felt best.  That's how freedom of speech and public debate are SUPPOSED to work.

Freedom of speech is great.... but it doesn't escape blow back. Obsidian may have thought of its best interests, but the ultimate message after all of this is, it buckled under pressure by a fringe group and backed down. This looks bad to the rest of the community; worse than keeping it. If someone thought it tasteless in Obsidian, that's a reflection of their development, which also means confidence diminished by those who actually thought the joke amusing.... which it sounds like the majority of its fanbase.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!  Rule 2:  Forums are not a representative sampling methodology.

The "majority of its fanbase" is quietly enjoying the game and ignoring this nonsense entirely.

Thats just a deflection - as the ratio is probably still the same. Plus, I was making a point that there are consequences to freedom of speech, and in this case, is going against its own internal humor methodology as well as the demograph the joke was intended to entertain.

No, studies have shown that forum dwellers are, in fact, not representative and tend to exhibits some distinctly similar trends and traits, which also shows they're a subset unrepresentative of the whole.  It's not a deflection, it's the reality...and I say that as someone who likes forum dwelling from time to time.  Just because something is getting said or talked about the loudest, doesn't mean it's what most people are saying or talking about.

Studies have shown that heterosexual males to be the super majority when it comes to video games. As such we can deduce that most would appreciate the sense of humor portrayed in Firedorns Limerick.

Citation: Me, myself and I. [Empirical POV, educated guess]

• Like 2

I don't see it that way.  That barbed comment applies to both "sides" of this nonsense at different times. 

Well, I respect Firedorn for changing it.

Just too bad it came to that.

Aye, when all is said and done he did what he thought would be best for Obsidian. He took the high road and was still allowed to get them [The twitter whiners] back for having started this whole thing. 

I do not believe that. Firedorn already said that they left him the choice of a change. If they said keep it in I am sure they would have left it in. 

Haha how is anyone upset with this? It's a pretty perfect follow up poem.

It claims that the original text was "misread", when most of us understood its hateful message just fine. The author is just trying to cover up his transgressions, and Obsidian is giving him a platform to do so.

The right thing to do would be to pull the text, pay the backer his money back, and make a very clear statement: "we do not want and we do not need customers like you".

Huh, when'd you become the final arbiter on all written word? Do you really believe that misinterpretation is something you've left behind? Please take the concrete reality of the situation and lodge it, like a wedge, right between both sides of my brain.

The limerick should not be removed, if Obsidian feels intimidated and threatened by some dude in a dress, then all hope in man is lost.

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

You should really read Firedorn's posts on the forum, he clearly says the opposite. But you seem to want to call him a liar now... just like they called him a transgender hater on Twitter.

Are they OK with lying to people funding them?

The backer himself has clarified the situation, and while I'm not happy with them even having to do this in the first place - they allowed him to make a joke at the expense of the perma offended people which was even funnier than the other one.

Read the comment to backers. Either it's a straight up lie or they would have changed it without backer consent if he didn't give it.

Either Firedorn didn't really have a choice, or Obsidian straight up lied to the people funding it.

If it loses you as a fan, then I'd have to say this:  responding to an overreaction by trying to top how much of an overreaction it was with an even bigger overreaction on your part is, by definition, pure and unadulterated derp.

• Like 1

I do not believe that. Firedorn already said that they left him the choice of a change. If they said keep it in I am sure they would have left it in. 

They said that it 'failed their vetting process'. It's hard to interpret that as anything but that it was going to be either changed or removed. 

• Like 1

That's not how Firedorn says it went down. According to him Obsidian said they'd keep it if he wanted them to. All the information we have suggests you are wrong, but please tell me what you see that we don't.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

It pleases me to know all these politically correct pansies are offended. I used to have zero respect for Obsidian, but having the balls to add this limerick to the game earns respect +1.

Edited by luzarius
  • Like 1

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

If it loses you as a fan, then I'd have to say this:  responding to an overreaction by trying to top how much of an overreaction it was with an even bigger overreaction on your part is, by definition, pure and unadulterated derp.

No longer being a fan of a company that lies to me and the people who funded its last project is not "pure and unadulterated derp". It's a very sensible position.

I also mentioned before that the claim EVERY OTHER piece of backer content was vetted is also a bold faced lie 1: this ONE piece wasn't vetted but EVERY other one was 2:they allowed a LOT of poorly written stuff, lore breaking stuff and apparently even some fetish insertion stuff so that's one terrible vetting process.

Edited by deuxhero
  • Like 1