Limerick edit thread 2

"We can either take the Backer at his word"

"You should really read Firedorn's posts on the forum, he clearly says the opposite. But you seem to want to call him a liar now... just like they called him a transgender hater on Twitter."

I'm not calling HIM a liar at all. read and understand my post. The target of my accusation is NOT him.

• Like 3

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"If Firedorn is OK with it, I'm OK with it."

He really had no choice. They were gonna change it anyways. This was a way for him to still get his limerick in and still get a nice lashing on those who hate him. But, trust me, even if they told Firedorn that it was his choice it really wasn't. It was never his choice.

That's not how Firedorn says it went down. According to him Obsidian said they'd keep it if he wanted them to. All the information we have suggests you are wrong, but please tell me what you see that we don't.

The information that Obsidian wrote that it 'failed their vetting process' suggests that he's right.

Please refrain from advocating killing all [insert whoever here]. I let one about the elves go because... well... elves don't really exist, but try not to stick a finger in other folks' eyes. I know it's tempting to be mean, but try to treat each other charitably. ...And don't crow about the rise of censorship by advocating, even in jest, killing all [anyone] or you'll be censored. :Cant's one eyebrow raised smile icon:

Did you just negate my entire existence, you racist privileged human? I AM an elf, defined as such in life and you have no right to tell me I'm not. Obsidian, please fire that guy as he promotes genocide of all my kind, I'll be waiting for your public apology over there as well as a +5 DR to all damage type for elves in the next patch.

Save all elves! Kill No One that is an elf! (and dwarves because they're small, therefore insulting to tall elves!)

Cant EDIT: See what I did there, ya rat bastard! <.< (this was NOT written by me)

Edit (by my actual self): Did you just edit my own post your privileged human? :)

Edited by mutonizer
  • Like 4

"A poem he wrote in jest was misread

They asked for blood, so now he's just dead"

I like how the autor of the limmerick continues to troll the angry mob :devil:

That's what I've been saying from the start. Obsidian did not "cave under the pressure", they gave Firedorn all the freedom he wanted to handle that so called crisis.

Meh.  he first line is implicitly an acknowledgement that he recognizes people took offense.  That act of changing it is implicitly a recognition that it was better for everyone to do so.  The second line is barbed, to be sure, but overall it's a polite way of saying "fine, let's move on."

"If Firedorn is OK with it, I'm OK with it."

He really had no choice. They were gonna change it anyways. This was a way for him to still get his limerick in and still get a nice lashing on those who hate him. But, trust me, even if they told Firedorn that it was his choice it really wasn't. It was never his choice.

I do not believe that. Firedorn already said that they left him the choice of a change. If they said keep it in I am sure they would have left it in. 

They said that it 'failed their vetting process'. It's hard to interpret that as anything but that it was going to be either changed or removed. 

Yep. One way or the other, they were going to change it. At least Firedorn cemented it with something clever.

His name will be an internet reference now.... 'He got Firedorned'

• Like 1

And you know what? The bull**** in the PR line Obsidian put out STILL loses me as a fan. They didn't say the backer wanted it changed, they said THEY wanted to change it.

Either Firedorn didn't really have a choice, or Obsidian straight up lied to the people funding it.

If it loses you as a fan, then I'd have to say this:  responding to an overreaction by trying to top how much of an overreaction it was with an even bigger overreaction on your part is, by definition, pure and unadulterated derp.

No longer being a fan of a company that lies to me and the people who funded its last project is not "pure and unadulterated derp". It's a very sensible position.

When did they lie to you or the backers?

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I am sorry but people who use the #killallmen are crazy for me. I can not do anything about it.  I am sorry for that.  And no it does not even matter if she is frustrated or not. #killallmen ist stupid just like #killall feminists would be stupid and crazy no matter what. 

The sentiment to #killallmen is borne out of the realization that almost all men are actively oppressing women and transpeople for their own personal gain. Telling women and transpeople that they are crazy to use that tag is like telling rape victims that they are crazy to try and fight back against their rapists.

You have it backwards, by definition anyone who thinks men in general are oppressing women and transpeople for personal gain is crazy, and the ones saying to kill all the men, especially so.

• Like 1

The information that Obsidian wrote that it 'failed their vetting process' suggests that he's right.

Or it might suggest Obsidian just didn't notice it could be controversial. The current discussion is a PR fail, so their vetting proces failes - no matter what specific opinion you might have on the subject.

And you know what? The bull**** in the PR line Obsidian put out STILL loses me as a fan. They didn't say the backer wanted it changed, they said THEY wanted to change it.

Either Firedorn didn't really have a choice, or Obsidian straight up lied to the people funding it.

If it loses you as a fan, then I'd have to say this:  responding to an overreaction by trying to top how much of an overreaction it was with an even bigger overreaction on your part is, by definition, pure and unadulterated derp.

No longer being a fan of a company that lies to me and the people who funded its last project is not "pure and unadulterated derp". It's a very sensible position.

When did they lie to you or the backers?

1:

Backer Content
It's come to our attention that a piece of backer-created content has made it into Pillars of Eternity that was not vetted. Once it was brought to our attention, it followed the same vetting process as all of our other content. Prior to release, we worked with many of our backers to iterate on content they asked to be put into the game that didn't strike the right tone.
In the case of this specific content, we checked with the backer who wrote it and asked them about changing it. We respect our backers greatly, and felt it was our duty to include them in the process. They gave us new content which we have used to replace what is in the game. To be clear, we followed the process we would have followed had this content been vetted prior to the release of the product.
We appreciate the faith you have all given us into making Pillars of Eternity the great game that it has become, and we appreciate the strength of conviction all of you bring to every conversation we have together.
Sincerely,
Feargus Urquhart, CEO 
Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.

So every single piece of content EXCEPT Firedorn's was vetted? Do you expect me to beleive that?

• Like 1
Never negotiate. You will only encourage more acts of terror.

So do we have a source for this statement? If so I am not happy but fine with it. 

Why aren't you happy? The backer didn't get screwed. Isn't that what you wanted?

I am not happy that he changed it but since he was not really under pressure i am totally fine with it. Also I am glad to hear Obsidian left him with the choice. So yeah  I fine with this decision. 

Same, especially this replacement limerick being a well-deserved mockery.

That said, while I am fine with what was done, I am disappointed that anything was done in the first place (->twitter promises). If a random "I am offended" twitteroo can slap Obsidian into action despite entire outrage being based on a delusion (given how everything about a man Firedorn slept with has been pulled from collective twitter's butt), then what should I expect them to do if eg. Polygon, as competent as usual, declares some future content "literally nazi"? If OE reacts proportionally to the current drama, they will be wiping hard drives while self-flagellating to appease accusers. Also, this "wasn't vetted" explanation smells a bit - if anything, it was vetted all right, but by twitter. With piles of immersion-breaking content appearing on gravestones you'd think either nothing was vetted or there are some interesting priorities for this game, the kind where immersion is secondary to manufactured (as in: "I just need to add non-existing detail of my choosing") offenses.

• Like 1

Whoa, okay. When did you guys start another thread on this? And how did it get to 20 pages while I was out having dinner? 

Look, we're fine with you guys talking about this, or whatever you want to talk about (as long as it's not, I don't know, endorsing piracy). But like with everything else, you don't need to start a new thread every time you think you have something so important to say that you need a new thread, instead of posting like everybody else. :p

Continue here:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/74461-controversial-limerick-discussion/page-26