Limerick edit thread 2

So? What does that have to do with me?

Frankly more people should ask themselves this in this particular situation.  And if they have any answer aside from some variation of "Nothing, really" then they should really reconsider whats going on

• Like 1

Obsidian did not buckle under pressure.  At the time, there really wasnt any pressure.  They, as stated, were going to leave the message in.  But the guy who made the message in question said "Naah, its not worth the PR trouble.  I'll change it to a more tongue-in-cheek joke instead".

uhuh I have a hard time believing that was it.

I would be apt to believe he was pressured or bought out if that were true

re the bolded: Because ableism is totally cool.

You should try some introspection. You have constructed a narrative where the person who complained is crazy and Obs are cowards. The much more likely scenario is that a trans person thought it was in bad taste and advocated for the content to be removed. Obs agreed and did so.

Let's be realistic here.

We are talking about someone who has repeatedly called for the death of half of the population of the planet, including the subset of the population that he either now belongs to or formerly did.

This person is literally crazy.

It doesn't require insanity to actually commit genocide, as demonstrated by history.

Equating mental problems with violence is very ungood. Please just don't do it.

re the bolded: Because ableism is totally cool.

You should try some introspection. You have constructed a narrative where the person who complained is crazy and Obs are cowards. The much more likely scenario is that a trans person thought it was in bad taste and advocated for the content to be removed. Obs agreed and did so.

Let's be realistic here.

We are talking about someone who has repeatedly called for the death of half of the population of the planet, including the subset of the population that he either now belongs to or formerly did.

This person is literally crazy.

It doesn't require insanity to actually commit genocide, as demonstrated by history.

Doubleplus ungood, even.

• Like 1

Obsidian did not buckle under pressure.  At the time, there really wasnt any pressure.  They, as stated, were going to leave the message in.  But the guy who made the message in question said "Naah, its not worth the PR trouble.  I'll change it to a more tongue-in-cheek joke instead".

uhuh I have a hard time believing that was it.

I would be apt to believe he was pressured or bought out if that were true

Have you seen the individual in question?  Taking any of her threats seriously is giving her way too much credit.

"Bought out" by what exactly?  A free redo of his backer's message?  

The sentiment to #killallmen is borne out of the realization that almost all men are actively oppressing women and transpeople for their own personal gain. Telling women and transpeople that they are crazy to use that tag is like telling rape victims that they are crazy to try and fight back against their rapists.

As a rape survivor, I find this sentiment you are espousing to be extremely offensive. Comparing "microaggressions" to RAPE is out of line. There is no excuse for even coming close to this metaphor of yours.

• Like 4

What's the text of the new limerick?

"Here lies Firedorn, a bard, a poet

He was also a card, but most didn't know it

A poem he wrote in jest was misread

They asked for blood, so now he's just dead"

• Like 1

So? What does that have to do with me?

Frankly more people should ask themselves this in this particular situation.  And if they have any answer aside from some variation of "Nothing, really" then they should really reconsider whats going on

People shouldn't have found this [The joke] to be an issue to start with, but that clearly didn't end up being the case. 

Edited by ChipMHazard

They stated that the poem 'failed their vetting process'. Unlike all the other content which had passed their vetting process.

I usually associate a piece of text 'failing the vetting process' with not being allowed.

That is the function of vetting generally. If it fails the vetting, it's not accepted.

"Hey guys, it failed our vetting, but we never had any intention of removing it, it just randomly occurred to us later that we might change it"

So do we have a source for this statement? If so I am not happy but fine with it. 

Why aren't you happy? The backer didn't get screwed. Isn't that what you wanted?

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I'm deeply saddened by the reaction of the community to this. That's all.

Agreed.  People made their case on both sides of the issue.  Obsidian listened and made up its own mind about how best to respond.  Respect their decision and move on.  The prolonged and irrational anti-"SJW" tantrum is effing infantile.

No it is just freedom of speech. And a reaction to their behavior since its getting more and more stupid every day.  And now the line is almost completely crossed for many people. 

Whose behavior?  From where I'm sitting, it seems both "sides" get way out of control and lose all sense of objectivity and rational thought almost every single time.

As for freedom of speech, indeed.  People on both sides exercised their freedom of speech to make their case.  Obsidian was 100% free to react in whatever way it felt best.  That's how freedom of speech and public debate are SUPPOSED to work.

Freedom of speech is great.... but it doesn't escape blow back. Obsidian may have thought of its best interests, but the ultimate message after all of this is, it buckled under pressure by a fringe group and backed down. This looks bad to the rest of the community; worse than keeping it. If someone thought it tasteless in Obsidian, that's a reflection of their development, which also means confidence diminished by those who actually thought the joke amusing.... which it sounds like the majority of its fanbase.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!  Rule 2:  Forums are not a representative sampling methodology.

The "majority of its fanbase" is quietly enjoying the game and ignoring this nonsense entirely.

Thats just a deflection - as the ratio is probably still the same. Plus, I was making a point that there are consequences to freedom of speech, and in this case, is going against its own internal humor methodology as well as the demograph the joke was intended to entertain.

It's just someone screaming on twitter. She jokes about violence as an outlet for her own perceived powerlessness. Impotent rage, it's not just for men anymore!

You're right she might be totally mentally health and behave like an ass on twitter(this isn't insulting this is apt), further it's not nice to associate acting in such a disgraceful manner on one of the world's stupidest websites with mental health issues.

This issue is funny because you have two sides. One is happy for getting their PR hamster pellet and greedily devouring it, the other is mad that their PR pellet got taken and having a fit. Both sides are ridiculous and blowing something pretty harmless out of proportion.

I'm deeply saddened by the reaction of the community to this. That's all.

Agreed.  People made their case on both sides of the issue.  Obsidian listened and made up its own mind about how best to respond.  Respect their decision and move on.  The prolonged and irrational anti-"SJW" tantrum is effing infantile.

No it is just freedom of speech. And a reaction to their behavior since its getting more and more stupid every day.  And now the line is almost completely crossed for many people. 

Whose behavior?  From where I'm sitting, it seems both "sides" get way out of control and lose all sense of objectivity and rational thought almost every single time.

As for freedom of speech, indeed.  People on both sides exercised their freedom of speech to make their case.  Obsidian was 100% free to react in whatever way it felt best.  That's how freedom of speech and public debate are SUPPOSED to work.

Freedom of speech is great.... but it doesn't escape blow back. Obsidian may have thought of its best interests, but the ultimate message after all of this is, it buckled under pressure by a fringe group and backed down. This looks bad to the rest of the community; worse than keeping it. If someone thought it tasteless in Obsidian, that's a reflection of their development, which also means confidence diminished by those who actually thought the joke amusing.... which it sounds like the majority of its fanbase.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!  Rule 2:  Forums are not a representative sampling methodology.

The "majority of its fanbase" is quietly enjoying the game and ignoring this nonsense entirely.

Thats just a deflection - as the ratio is probably still the same. Plus, I was making a point that there are consequences to freedom of speech, and in this case, is going against its own internal humor methodology as well as the demograph the joke was intended to entertain.

No, studies have shown that forum dwellers are, in fact, not representative and tend to exhibits some distinctly similar trends and traits, which also shows they're a subset unrepresentative of the whole.  It's not a deflection, it's the reality...and I say that as someone who likes forum dwelling from time to time.  Just because something is getting said or talked about the loudest, doesn't mean it's what most people are saying or talking about.

What's the text of the new limerick?

"Here lies Firedorn, a bard, a poet

He was also a card, but most didn't know it

A poem he wrote in jest was misread

They asked for blood, so now he's just dead"

Haha how is anyone upset with this? It's a pretty perfect follow up poem.

So do we have a source for this statement? If so I am not happy but fine with it. 

Why aren't you happy? The backer didn't get screwed. Isn't that what you wanted?

I am not happy that he changed it but since he was not really under pressure i am totally fine with it. Also I am glad to hear Obsidian left him with the choice. So yeah  I fine with this decision. 

• Like 1

You like Fire Emblem 8?

Casual scum.

To some extent. I like nearly all the Fire Emblem games. 8 has it's strengths, but as I said it's not one of the better ones. Too open, not linear enough. Grinding is too viable.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

So apparently the backer is fine with things the way they are. Fine. This is the last I'll mention it. But I'll be taking a good hard look at who's involved with any future projects Obsidian may or may not produce. Some people, who I was very unsure of to begin with, have lost any trust I had in them previously because of their actions during this whole fiasco. And if they're involved, well, I can't be sure my money's actually going towards a good project that's going to be what it's supposed to be or not. 

To the Devs, you got a traitor in your midst, selling you out to a bunch of moral reactionaries who don't care about your game or your product, who don't buy or play video games, and who only want to see the world turn into a dark, unfun, politically correct nightmare of their own design. Think long and hard about who directs your projects from now on, or you might find that it's more than just a 100%, completely innocent (if tasteless/tacky) joke that gets cut to appease the nutjobs on Tumblr/Twitter.

Edited by DragonDai
  • Like 1

Is anyone else on KiA trying to get the marching army called off with the new account by Firedorn himself? Lolololololl :p

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?