Limerick edit thread 2

Yeah and now people expressing their opinions about Obsidian carving in. I know its an endless circle and Developer will never win. 

Prove that they caved in.

Put up or shut up.

It's really not such a difficult concept.

You will never ba able to prove this- This is ridiculous. However...

Obsidian makes games and even controlled backer content and helped them with writing as well.

Games gets released

Some crazy person saw some messages that did upset her even though the meaning is not even clear

She calls Obsidian out, she calls for a boycott.

a Week or so later Obsidian removed the content with some PR messages behind it.

Yeah the chances that they carved in is pretty high for me. 

I'm not sure it counts as "caving" if you immediately agree with what is proposed and promise to change it. Generally to cave in there has to be a disagreement in the first place.

The only reason it took a week is because that's when they released their first major patch.

BTW as the 'SJW' y'all seem to dislike the most, I'm ok with violence, rape, and even transphobia in an RPG.

But not as a cheap joke. And not in a way that makes no effort to see things from the victim's eyes.

Imagine a world where our demands to do **** well are accommodated. The horror!

Yeah and this has not even to do anything with this at all. Some person misunderstand some joke and was offended. I can also be misunderstand something and be offended. Does this gives you the right to force censorship? No it does not.

Most people interpreted it as making fun of the guy who died nothing else. 

It's preposterous to see how some individuals are seeing merely two sides SJW and anti-SJW/Gamergate. I only know of Gamergate because I saw the name being tossed around a lot by SJW's. I have no idea what it was about and I do not care.

What I care about are games. Good games. The fact that Obsidian thought a harmless joke warranted removal because a special individual felt offended is appalling. An offense even more imaginary considering she misread the joke completely.

I'm not anti-SJW, Gamergate or anti-gamergate or whatever it is the kids call it these days. I am against unneccessary censorship, I am against limiting artistic freedom, I am against enabling idiots for the sake of appeasing them.

I merely want to play a game with a compelling storyline and interesting characters without worrying whether or not someone is trying to drive their political agendas down my throat. This person was an idiot and should have been ignored. The fact that she's openly gloating and taunting because she "won" further signifies her idiocy. Furthermore, I feel bad for the backer who supplied the harmless joke. There was nothing wrong with it, my friend, and in all of this you've handled the situation more gracefully than any of us. Hope you're doing all right.

BTW as the 'SJW' y'all seem to dislike the most, I'm ok with violence, rape, and even transphobia in an RPG.

But not as a cheap joke. And not in a way that makes no effort to see things from the victim's eyes.

Could you just explain to me how it WAS actually transphobic.

When I read the memorial long before this controversy I read the limerick as the character getting drunk and waking up in bed the next day with a man. Hell it could be read as him sleeping with a drag queen and many draq queens consider themselves to be men. To call the limerick transphobic is nothing more than a grand exaggeration. I mean what's next, will you be protesting Austin Powers?

Yeah and now people expressing their opinions about Obsidian carving in. I know its an endless circle and Developer will never win. 

Put up or shut up.

Obsidian makes games and even controlled backer content and helped them with writing as well.

Games gets released

Some crazy person saw some messages that did upset her even though the meaning is not even clear

a Week or so later Obsidian removed the content with some PR messages behind it.

They did what they should have done in the first place and rejected the content. That's not caving; it's doing the right thing.

You may realize this one day. God, I hope so.

If the death of freedom looks like a bunch of nerds weeping over the loss of bad video game dialogue, then I welcome it with open arms.

Because it's hilarious.

(Also, kill all men)

Thanks for proving that people like yourself exist beyond one individual on Twitter.

It would be controversial to assert that this existed if you didn't actually prove it. 

• Like 1

BTW a few people tried to use Erika's deadname. It's not actually Eric. That's pretty lazy of you.

If you're going to be a bigot and blow your whole case to hell put some more effort into it,

deadname?
Name before she transitioned. Gets hurled at transfolk a lot.

Wouldn't it be Birthname? As in the one his parents gave him?

It's also considered rude not to use the preferred pronoun. The name her parents gave her.

Yet the cheap joke had nothing to do with transgender. 

Edited by ChipMHazard

Put up or shut up.

Games gets released

They did what they should have done in the first place and rejected the content. That's not caving; it's doing the right thing.

Again why? Wen even trans people think it was not transophobic at all. I also can misunderstand bamby and the get offended by it. 

Also I agree. Dont caller her He or it. Call er "cry baby" for example this is gender neutral and everyone is fine. 

Edited by Darji

Its one of the wittiest joke in the game, and they removed it to indulge a hysterical LGTB internet warrior. Meanwhile 77.000 backers can suck it

• Like 1

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

I'm guessing trans people have their own lingo to describe their unique challenges and experiences.

Its like Orcs in the Elder Scrolls, you see.  Gro- as a prefix for their last name (meaning son of), and Gra-for a female, meaning daughter of.  

Trans Dwemer announced as playable for TES6

• Like 1

BTW a few people tried to use Erika's deadname. It's not actually Eric. That's pretty lazy of you.

If you're going to be a bigot and blow your whole case to hell put some more effort into it,

deadname?
Name before she transitioned. Gets hurled at transfolk a lot.

It's also considered rude not to use the preferred pronoun. The name her parents gave her.

There is no need to afford politeness to people who act grossly offensively and indecently.

Can someone please tell me what this joke was that pissed off the LGBT crowd?  I just got into a nasty verbal fight with some of them over on another site.  Was it that bad?

firedorn_ligthbringer.png

Okay, see now that's funny.  If anything the joke is aimed at the Firedorn.

And because he slept with a man in drags, not a transgendered dude.

Start seeing where are we coming from already?

Read THIS.

"Asked". Meaning "change it or we simply remove it". There was no choice involved for the person.

Actually, there was a choice.  They asked me if I wanted to change in light of what happened.  I chose to change it so that they can concentrate on the game instead of this PR nightmare.  They weren't going to change it, they asked ME if I wanted to.  I can find another platform to write my controversial crap, and I will.  They, on the other hand, did the right thing and allowed me to decide the fate of the epitaph.  I chose to turn into something that made fun of the bitch-bastards that were complaining.

They went above and beyond what I would have expected them to do.

Now that we've got the real facts from Firedorn himself can we move on?

Edited by Kimuji
  • Like 4

Put up or shut up.

Games gets released

To be fair, I don't think the opposition is taking the stance of it not being "the right thing," but rather they're expressing concern of it being the right thing for all the wrong reasons.

I don't think there's been anyone within these threads who has been fervently in support of the limerick as a rule of thumb and a lack of capacity to see why some don't like it, it's been more of a matter of if a joke (very high tendency to offend at LEAST one person) should be subject to censorship and if it's subject to censorship out of standard company policy and views on the matter or out of pure fear of any reprocussions that might result from keeping it.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Again why? Wen even trans people think it was not transophobic at all. I also can misunderstand bamby and the get offended by it.

You don't need to "misunderstand" Bambi to get offended by it. It's an extremely heteronormative movie:

Take Bambi and Faline from Disney’s Bambi of 1942, for example: Faline’s body is identical to Bambi’s except for her more prominent eyelashes. She is a fawn like Bambi, but is given “feminine” eyelashes to show how she is unlike Bambi–i.e., female. This differentiation of female animals from their male counterparts is an industry standard, even when in reality these exaggerated appearances are achieved by humans through makeup. By giving animals these characteristics, the designers seem to think that women naturally have stereotyped appearances of womanhood and inherently look different from stereotypical men.

A lot of mainstream cartoons serve primarily as a means of indoctrinating children.

I'm deeply saddened by the reaction of the community to this. That's all.

Agreed.  People made their case on both sides of the issue.  Obsidian listened and made up its own mind about how best to respond.  Respect their decision and move on.  The prolonged and irrational anti-"SJW" tantrum is effing infantile.

Made up their own minds my ass they wouldn't done anything if it weren't for some twitter **** screaming at them.

So what?  They were 100% free to tell that person to go pound sand OR to think about it and decide they agree.  Nobody forced anyone to do anything.  People expressed their opinions, good or bad, maturely or childishly, and Obsidian made up its mind on how to react.  Period.  You just don't like it because you weren't on the "winning" side this time.  It's hard being on the wrong side of history.  Happens to us all and sucks when it does.

Winning side? Wrong side of history are ****ing kidding me!? I guess being against censorship is bad thing.

Read THIS.

"Asked". Meaning "change it or we simply remove it". There was no choice involved for the person.

Actually, there was a choice.  They asked me if I wanted to change in light of what happened.  I chose to change it so that they can concentrate on the game instead of this PR nightmare.  They weren't going to change it, they asked ME if I wanted to.  I can find another platform to write my controversial crap, and I will.  They, on the other hand, did the right thing and allowed me to decide the fate of the epitaph.  I chose to turn into something that made fun of the bitch-bastards that were complaining.

Sadly that only makes it appear less likely that Obsidian had a standard they wanted to uphold and more likely that it was changed because of the ****storm. 

Read THIS.

THANK YOU for posting this, rather unfortunate it almost got lost in the sea of posts.

I'm gonna see to it that as many people see this as possible.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Put up or shut up.

Games gets released

re the bolded: Because ableism is totally cool.

You should try some introspection. You have constructed a narrative where the person who complained is crazy and Obs are cowards. The much more likely scenario is that a trans person thought it was in bad taste and advocated for the content to be removed. Obs agreed and did so.