Limerick edit thread 2

BTW a few people tried to use Erika's deadname. It's not actually Eric. That's pretty lazy of you.

If you're going to be a bigot and blow your whole case to hell put some more effort into it.

I dont know if you noticed it but they are using it to insult this person because they are upset. Just like she wants to kill all men because she is frustrated and upset.

You think she's a terrible person, and yet it's ok that their actions are morally equivalent.

I'm deeply saddened by the reaction of the community to this. That's all.

Agreed.  People made their case on both sides of the issue.  Obsidian listened and made up its own mind about how best to respond.  Respect their decision and move on.  The prolonged and irrational anti-"SJW" tantrum is effing infantile.

Made up their own minds my ass they wouldn't done anything if it weren't for some twitter **** screaming at them.

So what?  They were 100% free to tell that person to go pound sand OR to think about it and decide they agree.  Nobody forced anyone to do anything.  People expressed their opinions, good or bad, maturely or childishly, and Obsidian made up its mind on how to react.  Period.  You just don't like it because you weren't on the "winning" side this time.  It's hard being on the wrong side of history.  Happens to us all and sucks when it does.

Yeah and now people expressing their opinions about Obsidian carving in. I know its an endless circle and Developer will never win. 

I love how you dudes cry about how us "sjws" don't even play games, and yet the person who brought this up on twitter is playing the game! (And I'm on my second playthrough right now. Love this game so much.)

You're right, I have no interest in playing this game and only shelled out $200 to get a fancy badge on a relatively obscure videogame forum.

Oh, I think you misunderstood me. I was referring to people who say stuff like "sjw's don't even play games" or things like that. 

BTW a few people tried to use Erika's deadname. It's not actually Eric. That's pretty lazy of you.

If you're going to be a bigot and blow your whole case to hell put some more effort into it.

I dont know if you noticed it but they are using it to insult this person because they are upset. Just like she wants to kill all men because she is frustrated and upset. 

That doesn't make it any less rude.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

A few more thoughts to consider for Obsidian and the community:

What Obsidian invariably did by correcting it, also puts out the strong impression that Obsidian particularly supports LGBT, and that causes things to be even more polarized. It really would have been better if they just left it alone, now they may face an even bigger blow-back from other political spectrums.

Another thing, It's very hypocritical to censor one type of joke over other ones in the game. Is it wrong to even have a transphobic character/thing in a story? It's bloddy fiction. Heck, those old IE games were rife with political incorrect things.... look at Arcanum.... at the very beggining of character creation gender gave you different bonuses, hark! But you know, details like that actually helped with immersion.

I wouldn't even say the joke is transphobic.... I can relate to Firedorns sentiments - if I slept with a tran on accident....  Heck, I reckon 'most' heterosexuals would feel horrified too, lol. I guess our 'niche' sense of reality/humor gets the shovel though right? Well..... that's even more confidence lost in obsidians decision makers.

I would rather a game depict real human tendencies than it being super imposed with political feel goodness.

Because a minority has bigger rights than a majority in democracy..... 

1) be a minority

2) ask

3) ask again

4) wait

5) receive

I get the sarcasm. But something on a serious note about that:

a democracy actually fails substantially by itself. the US founders recognized this and extrapolated on this extensively. A republic with a rule of law was the best course to protect.... the minority. The whole thing forgotten in todays age is that real law isn't made from the masses, its found (self evident / natural law ).

^ just something I felt like sharing, as it seems somewhat related

Edited by Kveldulf

If the death of freedom looks like a bunch of nerds weeping over the loss of bad video game dialogue, then I welcome it with open arms.

Because it's hilarious.

Cant EDIT: Even in jest, no kill all [insert group of people here].

• Like 4

A few more thoughts to consider for Obsidian and the community:

What Obsidian invariably did by correcting it, also puts out the strong impression that Obsidian particularly supports LGBT, and that causes things to be even more polarized. It really would have been better if they just left it alone, now they may face an even bigger blow-back from other political spectrums.

Another thing, It's very hypocritical to censor one type of joke over other ones in the game. Is it wrong to even have a transphobic character/thing in a story? It's bloddy fiction. Heck, those old IE games were rife with political incorrect things.... look at Arcanum.... at the very beggining of character creation gender gave you different bonuses, hark! But you know, details like that actually helped with immersion.

I wouldn't even say the joke is transphobic.... I can relate to Firedorns sentiments - if I slept with a tran on accident....  Heck, I reckon 'most' heterosexuals would feel horrified too, lol. I guess our 'niche' sense of reality/humor gets the shovel though right? Well..... that's even more confidence lost in obsidians decision makers.

I would rather a game depict real human tendencies than it being super imposed with political feel goodness.

While I technically agree with some of these arguments this forum already have one active thread on this subject matter. Mods, please close this garbage down.

You think she's a terrible person, and yet it's ok that their actions are morally equivalent.

They are as ok as her saying. I normally need 3 days to kill men. and #lkill all men. As someone said. Don't know if it was you. It is a sign of anger and frustration. And people who insult here reacting the same way she does.  So yeah both are equaly bad.

Yeah and now people expressing their opinions about Obsidian carving in. I know its an endless circle and Developer will never win. 

Prove that they caved in.

Put up or shut up.

It's really not such a difficult concept.

• Like 1

I have this sinking feeling that users such as Namutree, Cyphon, Shake Appeal and some others, along with myself, are sitting here utterly disappointed in the lack of self-awareness shown by people from both sides of this issue.

I just wanna thank those of you who have shown maturity here.

• Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

If the death of freedom looks like a bunch of nerds weeping over the loss of bad video game dialogue, then I welcome it with open arms.

Because it's hilarious.

(Also, kill all men)

Can we ammend this to "manchildren"?

No, there is only one way to be sure. All men must fall. As a man, I must slay my brothers to give rise to the glorious gynocracy!

Let's open a Church of Firedorn.

He can be the God of individualism, free speech, diversity and humor.

Free speech only applies to government action.  Public disagreement and debate is not censorship.  They are, in fact, precisely what free speech is all about.  Free speech has never and will never mean "speech free of any consequences, disagreement or rebuttal."  Someone thinking about criticism and deciding how they feel it would be the best way to respond is also an act of freedom.  Nothing was forced on anyone here.

You fundamentally misunderstand what censorship and free speech are.  They are not solely about the government at all.  Censorship I will give you some examples.

1) A newspaper does not publish cartoons for fear of offending a religion.  That is censorship.  (self censorship) The newspaper was not free to speak for fear of retaliation in various forms.

2) A comedian does not tell a joke for fear of offending a religious minority.  Again self censorship.  The comedian fears his career, his livelihood, the ability to support his family might be placed in jeopardy should he tell the wrong joke.

3) A newspaper editor nixes a story about a local corrupt politician because he fears retribution.  Business license delays, extra inspections from city hall, people parking outside his building getting extra tickets from the police.

4) A video game company removes a joke from its game.  Again self censorship.  The company fears the bad publicity and/or organized boycotts, etc, of falsely being labeled racist, sexist, homotranswimminzphobic.  It fears bad publicity would cause financial damage, their employees would suffer, etc.

It is illegal for the government to engage in this behavior (1st amendment) but not for private citizens or corporations to do so.  It is, however, the same behavior.

Edited by gtr2009
  • Like 1

Can someone please tell me what this joke was that pissed off the LGBT crowd?  I just got into a nasty verbal fight with some of them over on another site.  Was it that bad?

firedorn_ligthbringer.png

Okay, see now that's funny.  If anything the joke is aimed at the Firedorn.

• Like 2

BTW as the 'SJW' y'all seem to dislike the most, I'm ok with violence, rape, and even transphobia in an RPG.

But not as a cheap joke. And not in a way that makes no effort to see things from the victim's eyes.

Imagine a world where our demands to do **** well are accommodated. The horror!

• Like 3

Prove that they caved in.

Put up or shut up.

It's really not such a difficult concept.

You will never ba able to prove this- This is ridiculous. However...

Obsidian makes games and even controlled backer content and helped them with writing as well.

Games gets released

Some crazy person saw some messages that did upset her even though the meaning is not even clear

She calls Obsidian out, she calls for a boycott.

a Week or so later Obsidian removed the content with some PR messages behind it.

Yeah the chances that they carved in is pretty high for me. 

If you're going to be a bigot and blow your whole case to hell put some more effort into it,

deadname?
Name before she transitioned. Gets hurled at transfolk a lot.

Wouldn't it be Birthname? As in the one his parents gave him?