Limerick edit thread 2

I have ****ing had it with these SJWs I'm just livid at this point as of late this has been happening more and more developers walking on eggshells to appease a bunch of oversensitive twitter nitwits. Every developer that censors themselves to appease these people are all cowards in my eyes and will never see my money these people do not give a single **** about your games they just want power and they scream "I'm offended" until they get their way.

This whole debacle had already blown over about a day after it started Obsidian could have said nothing but no Obsidian decided to cave to a hateful SJW and her followers instead of listening to their own fans.

I hope your happy with the SJWs Obsidian and thanks for saving me money.

There's no reason to flip out that much, because this kind of action can be expected from ANY company.

It's simple: the CEO and marketing department get paid to ensure that as many costumers see the product as possible and that the game or company does not get negative press. Censoring such snippets is considered the safe option because if left unchecked, you run the risk of people claiming you're homophobes or transphobic or whatever.

The moment this doesn't happen is gonna be the moment a CEO or marketing department starts getting scrutiny, thus the cycle continues.

And that is the problem. A small minority which is most likely not even your real audience  cried about something most of us found ridiculous. They carved in and now they have to live with their actions.  You actually should carve to your paying audience  and not to some extremists. 

Edited by Darji
  • Like 2

I have ****ing had it with these SJWs I'm just livid at this point as of late this has been happening more and more developers walking on eggshells to appease a bunch of oversensitive twitter nitwits. Every developer that censors themselves to appease these people are all cowards in my eyes and will never see my money these people do not give a single **** about your games they just want power and they scream "I'm offended" until they get their way.

This whole debacle had already blown over about a day after it started Obsidian could have said nothing but no Obsidian decided to cave to a hateful SJW and her followers instead of listening to their own fans.

I think it's funny that these people never consider that maybe the people at Obsidian agree with the so-called SJW.

No, it has to be that they are cowards.

I'm deeply saddened by the reaction of the community to this. That's all.

I'm ecstatic about the community's reaction to all of this. It is about time.  It is so nice to see the community standing up for itself and not allowing entryist SJWs who aren't even playing the game or paying for it dictate the content of our games.

• Like 1

Oh god, are these dudes still crying about Obsidian removing the ****ty joke? And crying about us terrible "sjw's" ruining their games. lol

No you are runing our soiceity. And I feel really sad that I have to applaud people who raised almost 1 million $ because they did not want to serve gay couples and then got threaten to death and even had to close their shop because SJW threaten to burn the place down....

And since I am pro gay marriage etc I think that is really really sad....

Edited by Darji

BTW a few people tried to use Erika's deadname. It's not actually Eric. That's pretty lazy of you.

If you're going to be a bigot and blow your whole case to hell put some more effort into it.

Edited by Arouet

Disappointing to say the least.  I hope the backer gets a refund.

I feel like a broken record at this point, but this feels like a giant double standard towards violence in the game.  I am not sure how jokes of this kind are unacceptable, but lynchings and depictions of torture based on ideology are given a pass.  If a joke needs to be censored for society's sake, why is violence different?

Oh ffs.  The violence and dark themes are part of Obsidian's vision for the game and the story it tells.  The joke was not part of their vision and was deemed tasteless after someone complained about it.  Assuming that they would change elements of the actual game under minimal pressure because they decided they didn't want a questionable joke from a backer in it is completely absurd.

Agreed.  People made their case on both sides of the issue.  Obsidian listened and made up its own mind about how best to respond.  Respect their decision and move on.  The prolonged and irrational anti-"SJW" tantrum is effing infantile.

No it is just freedom of speech. And a reaction to their behavior since its getting more and more stupid every day.  And now the line is almost completely crossed for many people. 

Whose behavior?  From where I'm sitting, it seems both "sides" get way out of control and lose all sense of objectivity and rational thought almost every single time.

As for freedom of speech, indeed.  People on both sides exercised their freedom of speech to make their case.  Obsidian was 100% free to react in whatever way it felt best.  That's how freedom of speech and public debate are SUPPOSED to work.

Agreed.  People made their case on both sides of the issue.  Obsidian listened and made up its own mind about how best to respond.  Respect their decision and move on.  The prolonged and irrational anti-"SJW" tantrum is effing infantile.

No it is just freedom of speech. And a reaction to their behavior since its getting more and more stupid every day.  And now the line is almost completely crossed for many people. 

It has nothing to do with freedom of speech. Pillars of Eternity is an owned property of Obsidian Entertainment, a private company, who can do with it whatever they please. Backer content was submitted with the understanding that it would be vetted by that same entity. No speech is being impinged here. You are very confused about what speech you are entitled to if you think otherwise.

What I do see is another eruption from the videogame community that has, over the last year or so, revealed itself to be deeply regressive, deeply out of touch, and at times downright hateful. I'm sorry one of my favorite developers has to bear the brunt of another such eruption, but they owe you nothing. If you are offended by this, you are on the wrong side of history. At best, you can hope to look back on this and shake your head at your younger self.

At best.

• Like 5

Might i ask why? It's a lively discussion, some over the top reactions (OMG censorship, never buy again etc.) as always, but no/barely criticism of the LGBT-community, no god invoking bible-belters etc. For a discussion on a message board, it's quite civil imo

Edit: Just saw your response to Darji, and i don't agree. I think a big majority of the posters are quite civil and try to agrument, not just argue. Refreshing, especially compared to flame wars on some FPS or RTS boards, or on YT.

Edited by pstone

Oh god, are these dudes still crying about Obsidian removing the ****ty joke? And crying about us terrible "sjw's" ruining their games. lol

Good job, you got a harmless joke altered by greatly exaggerating what it was. Here's a star.

smiley_face_gold_star_sticker-r4070615a7

It has nothing to do with freedom of speech. Pillars of Eternity is an owned property of Obsidian Entertainment, a private company, who can do with it whatever they please. Backer content was submitted with the understanding that it would be vetted by that same entity. No speech is being impinged here. You are very confused about what speech you are entitled to if you think otherwise.

What I do see is another eruption from the videogame community that has, over the last year or so, revealed itself to be deeply regressive, deeply out of touch, and at times downright hateful. I'm sorry one of my favorite developers has to bear the brunt of another such eruption, but they owe you nothing. If you are offended by this, you are on the wrong side of history. At best, you can hope to look back on this and shake your head at your younger self.

At best.

Hold up lemme get a bunch of dictonary definitions to try to disprove your point.

There's no reason to flip out that much, because this kind of action can be expected from ANY company.

It's simple: the CEO and marketing department get paid to ensure that as many costumers see the product as possible and that the game or company does not get negative press. Censoring such snippets is considered the safe option because if left unchecked, you run the risk of people claiming you're homophobes or transphobic or whatever.

The moment this doesn't happen is gonna be the moment a CEO or marketing department starts getting scrutiny, thus the cycle continues.

And that is the problem. A small minority which is most likely not even your real audience  cried about something most of us found ridiculous. They carved in and now they have to live with their actions.  You actually should carve to your paying audience  and not to some extremists. 

Yep, something should probably be done about it, but at the same time, you can't exactly scream at Obsidian for NOT being bold enough to brave the risky path. You're essentially trying to convict Obsidian for NOT wanting to be apart of your war, your movement and your statement. That's not exactly fair. If you want to do an Occupy Wallstreet movement for example and I don't, then do I deserve conviction of a crime for not taking part...?

Having said that, I do think it's becoming clear that the risky path might not be as risky as once perceived. Who'll pick up on that first is anyone's guess.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

BTW a few people tried to use Erika's deadname. It's not actually Eric. That's pretty lazy of you.

If you're going to be a bigot and blow your whole case to hell put some more effort into it,

deadname?
Name before she transitioned. Gets hurled at transfolk a lot.

If you're going to be a bigot and blow your whole case to hell put some more effort into it.

I dont know if you noticed it but they are using it to insult this person because they are upset. Just like she wants to kill all men because she is frustrated and upset. 

I love how you dudes cry about how us "sjws" don't even play games, and yet the person who brought this up on twitter is playing the game! (And I'm on my second playthrough right now. Love this game so much.)

You're right, I have no interest in playing this game and only shelled out $200 to get a fancy badge on a relatively obscure videogame forum.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Made up their own minds my ass they wouldn't done anything if it weren't for some twitter **** screaming at them.

So what?  They were 100% free to tell that person to go pound sand OR to think about it and decide they agree.  Nobody forced anyone to do anything.  People expressed their opinions, good or bad, maturely or childishly, and Obsidian made up its mind on how to react.  Period.  You just don't like it because you weren't on the "winning" side this time.  It's hard being on the wrong side of history.  Happens to us all and sucks when it does.

If you're going to be a bigot and blow your whole case to hell put some more effort into it,

deadname?
Name before she transitioned. Gets hurled at transfolk a lot.

Ah cool, I'm not up to date on the latest lore.  I stopped playing in 3.5 edition.

You're delusional if you really think the people who tweet about killing all men genuinely desire to do so. 

This makes it ok to spout hate speech...?

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?