Limerick edit thread 2

Josh is apparently too busy feeding his morbidly obese cat. :p

Seriously am I the only one that can't get over the size of that thing?

You just made me look up Josh Sawyer's cat on google. Thank you for that.

I think it's very cute, by the way, but I just love all cats.

I think you should look up the definition of censorship. 

You're either dishonest or ignorant.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/censorship

a :  the institution, system, or practice of censoring ...

: a person who examines books, movies, letters, etc., and removes things that are considered to be offensive, immoral, harmful to society, etc.

A person.  Not a government, not a law, a PERSON.

Did a person examine this game?  Yes.

Did they apply pressure, directly, to the developer of said game to remove something they felt was offensive, immoral, or harmful to society?  Yes.

This person is a censor.

They performed censorship by pressuring the developer to remove it.

About to go offensive (trigger warning); if I "pressure" someone into having sex, I'm not a rapist or immoral, right?  After all, they could have said no, they could have resisted, so it's alright, right?

So you can't tell the difference between advocacy and rape. Gotcha.

As someone who lives in a country where censorship is explicitly prohibited by the constitution I just have to point out that a "censor" is historically an official.

Censor: "an official who examines books, plays, news reports, motion pictures, radio and television programs, letters, cablegrams, etc., for the purpose of suppressing parts deemed objectionable on moral, political, military, or other grounds."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/censor?s=t

You can expand the concept, sure, but you have to do it very carefully if you want to claim that censorship is a bad thing in any context.

oh yeah now we are going the not every censorship is bad...

YES EVERY FORM OF CENSORSHIPOT IS BAD....

Its like saying racism against white people is not as bad as racism against black people....

Seriously.. There is no different. There is no good or bad discrimination. there are no differences  at all....

sadly in the mind of most (at least in the media) racism against whites is a myth or even an impossibility

Let's all go to Josh's house and roll his cat around like a ball. I'm sure we won't get scratched or anything.

I suggest bringing your loaded D20's - I have a feeling you're going to need every natural crit you can get.  :bow:  :cat:

I just think a little more communication from Obsidian now would do worlds to calm this stuff down.

I know, Josh Sawyer never pays any attention to me either. It's very depressing.

Josh is apparently too busy feeding his morbidly obese cat. :p

Seriously am I the only one that can't get over the size of that thing?

I missed this how fat is the cat?

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/582200461127634945

It's White Garfield.

You just made me look up Josh Sawyer's cat on google. Thank you for that.

I think it's very cute, by the way, but I just love all cats.

Yeah I'm not dissing it, lotta people have fat cats. It's just I saw it and I was like "WOAH!"

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Ok, so if a heterosexual sleeps with me and ends up horrified that I am a man, that hetero is a homophobic disgusting bigot.

Heterosexual men must be willing to sleep with me without any feeling of disgust from here on forth. 

Its quite the demand isn't it? Domineering imo. Guess I'll just have to suffer with the homophobic transphobic labels....

Because it ain't about outrage, what SJW's want is not what they claim they want. What they want is the knowledge that whenever they cry, companies will spin around their finger so they can feel comfy.

Is is about power, not inclusivity.

Except, you know, that isn't actually borne out by reality.

Is it not? Because I've seen few tweets making a company change content here...

And that, somehow, makes you a mind-reader.

I'm not denying the facts, only what you claim to be the motivations involved.

Could someone explain (to a non-native speaker) why the original limerick was considered offensive? If i understood it correctly, not the transgender guy was killed, but the joke is actually on the idiot that couldn't deal with accidentially ****ing a guy and then he killed himself. So the joke isn't anti-transgender imo, more like anti-'straight guys with extremely insecure self-image'.

There is no transgender mentioned in the original poem.

Yeah i guess transgender was just an assumption. Whatever the reason for the mixup, the joke's on the guy who ended his own life cause couldn't deal with the fact he had sex with a man. I mean, thats sad. If that happpened to me, i'd maybe ask myself if i was BI somehow, or if i should drink less, but i certainly wouldn't kill myself....

Well, I don't like my backer memorial, so I'm asking them to let me change it since it doesn't seem to be such a big deal now. If they really value their backers, they'll let me, right?

Heh, if they won't allow it you could always have someone start a twitter war. That might do it. 

: a person who examines books, movies, letters, etc., and removes things that are considered to be offensive, immoral, harmful to society, etc.

Did they apply pressure, directly, to the developer of said game to remove something they felt was offensive, immoral, or harmful to society?  Yes.

This person is a censor.

About to go offensive (trigger warning); if I "pressure" someone into having sex, I'm not a rapist or immoral, right?  After all, they could have said no, they could have resisted, so it's alright, right?

As someone who lives in a country where censorship is explicitly prohibited by the constitution I just have to point out that a "censor" is historically an official.

Censor: "an official who examines books, plays, news reports, motion pictures, radio and television programs, letters, cablegrams, etc., for the purpose of suppressing parts deemed objectionable on moral, political, military, or other grounds."

You can expand the concept, sure, but you have to do it very carefully if you want to claim that censorship is a bad thing in any context.

Its like saying racism against white people is not as bad as racism against black people....

Seriously.. There is no different. There is no good or bad discrimination. there are no differences  at all....

sadly in the mind of most (at least in the media) racism against whites is a myth or even an impossibility

It depends on if you think discrimination requires power structures reinforcing it to actually have a meaningful effect. But this line of conversation is a little beyond the scope of a thread about a bad poem which got changed to a slightly better poem.

I'm seriously hoping the rest of this thread will be about cats now. It's just far more constructive.

Cats are good. Should I post pictures of my cats? I have a pic of one of my cats sleeping in a sink. It's cute.

• Like 1

What you also all need to understand is:

Have your own personal opinions, fine.  Take a one man war against the twitter moron.  Hell, the whole LGBT crowd for all I care.  Nothing will happen to you.   YOU people are not a company.

Now, for one moment, take your self entitled heads out of your rear ends, and think about what that minority crowd could actually do to a large company.  Imagine you are an integral part of said company...hell even own the company perhaps.  You think Josh has the power to make these decisions alone?  You're idiots if you do.  He is just the public face for this.

Bigger companies than Obsidian have been brought to their knees by smaller groups than this before now.  Do I agree with censorship in any form?  Hell no.  Does it annoy me that these minority groups make us accept what they want, yet insist they do not have to listen to our voice?  Yes it royally pisses me off.

But I'm not a famous name, neither do I have a company to think about or shareholders and directors.

And for the record, all your shouting is actually no different to the twitter moron....YOU want this...and screw everyone else.  Funny old world eh?

Edited by Maviarab

This person is a censor.

It depends on if you think discrimination requires power structures reinforcing it to actually have a meaningful effect. But this line of conversation is a little beyond the scope of a thread about a bad poem which got changed to a slightly better poem.

No just no...

You do not bring people down you lift people up... For ****s sake....

Edited by Darji

Could someone explain (to a non-native speaker) why the original limerick was considered offensive? If i understood it correctly, not the transgender guy was killed, but the joke is actually on the idiot that couldn't deal with accidentially ****ing a guy and then he killed himself. So the joke isn't anti-transgender imo, more like anti-'straight guys with extremely insecure self-image'.

There is no transgender mentioned in the original poem.

Yeah i guess transgender was just an assumption. Whatever the reason for the mixup, the joke's on the guy who ended his own life cause couldn't deal with the fact he had sex with a man. I mean, thats sad. If that happpened to me, i'd maybe ask myself if i was BI somehow, or if i should drink less, but i certainly wouldn't kill myself....

Well, it just states that he ran off a cliff. Not that he did so intentionally. 

A few more thoughts to consider for Obsidian and the community:

What Obsidian invariably did by correcting it, also puts out the strong impression that Obsidian particularly supports LGBT, and that causes things to be even more polarized. It really would have been better if they just left it alone, now they may face an even bigger blow-back from other political spectrums.

Another thing, It's very hypocritical to censor one type of joke over other ones in the game. Is it wrong to even have a transphobic character/thing in a story? It's bloddy fiction. Heck, those old IE games were rife with political incorrect things.... look at Arcanum.... at the very beggining of character creation gender gave you different bonuses, hark! But you know, details like that actually helped with immersion.

I wouldn't even say the joke is transphobic.... I can relate to Firedorns sentiments - if I slept with a tran on accident....  Heck, I reckon 'most' heterosexuals would feel horrified too, lol. I guess our 'niche' sense of reality/humor gets the shovel though right? Well..... that's even more confidence lost in obsidians decision makers.

I would rather a game depict real human tendencies than it being super imposed with political feel goodness.

To me if it were an outrage coming from a trans person who didn't joke constantly about committing Genocide on all cis men, I would actually have a completely different view than I have on the issue, and I would support Obsidian more on their decission.

But we are talking about a person whose outrage is clearly not real, and only joy came from "making them having to change it", even if the change is still taking the piss on her, the important sign here is that she demanded, and Obsidian obeyed.

Seriously, I may not be very knowledgeable of how trans people live nowadays, but I don't think the situation has changed a lot from my days at Uni, and dude, they DO need to have thick skin, mostly because the ones that don't end up comitting suicide before their twenties. This kind of joke is really nothing to them.

Amongst other things because it doesn't mention trans people at all, just a man sleeping with another man in drags

Edited by Bayzent

Obsidian got away with this IMO. Look what Dota 2 fans did when Valve didn't release a Halloween patch last year - they destroyed the game Metacritic rating (from 9 to 2) , and spammed facebook accounts of Volvo and Obama (yeah)

This is exactly why I don't identify myself as a gamer. That's pathetic.

You have a responsibility as a developer

And if you got your game through KICKSTARTER (i.e. other people's money) they you have even MORE responsibility to NOT LISTEN to some random whiner who didn't even back the game

Makes no difference.  The only difference between kickstarter and buying in a shop is you gave the money in advance.  Who's money exactly do you think gets things made?   Obviously not the consumer....

this whole ruse about the memorial is a good example how this rotten system we call democracy works

1) be a minority

2) ask

3) ask again

4) wait

5) receive

6) ktnxbye

7) brag about it on twitter

8 )   let Obsidian take all the heat from backers and grab some popcorn

....... while the majority (actual backers who's money made the game possible) can go suck a tail pipe.

Edited by Luj1
  • Like 1

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

Makes no difference.  The only difference between kickstarter and buying in a shop is you gave the money in advance.  Who's money exactly do you think gets things made?   Obviously not the consumer....

I think you're kind of oversimplifying the issue, given that the backers legit saved the company from going bankrupt and are thus responsible for Obsidian still being a thing and Pillars even being made.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Obsidian got away with this IMO. Look what Dota 2 fans did when Valve didn't release a Halloween patch last year - they destroyed the game Metacritic rating (from 9 to 2) , and spammed facebook accounts of Volvo and Obama (yeah)

And if you got your game through KICKSTARTER (i.e. other people's money) they you have even MORE responsibility to NOT LISTEN to some random whiner who didn't even back the game

Kickstarter means you don't have to listen to that WHINING from that WHINER who WHINES about everything!

Except for my whining. My whining is important and should be addressed immediately or I'm gonna start making empty threats about never buying a game from you again!

this whole ruse about the memorial is a good example how this rotten system we call democracy works

1) be a minority

2) ask

3) ask again

4) wait

5) receive

6) ktnxbye

7) brag about it on twitter

8 )   let Obsidian take all the heat from backers and grab some popcorn

....... while the majority (actual backers who's money made the game possible) can go suck a tail pipe.

No one has it as easy as minorities. Lucky Duckies!

Kickstarter means you don't have to listen to that WHINING from that WHINER who WHINES about everything!

Except for my whining. My whining is important and should be addressed immediately or I'm gonna start making empty threats about never buying a game from you again!

OH like the person exactly did which thought this joke was transophobic and also did threat Obsidian with boycott.?  Damm I thought you were on her side...

What you also all need to understand is:

Have your own personal opinions, fine.  Take a one man war against the twitter moron.  Hell, the whole LGBT crowd for all I care.  Nothing will happen to you.   YOU people are not a company.

Now, for one moment, take your self entitled heads out of your rear ends, and think about what that minority crowd could actually do to a large company.  Imagine you are an integral part of said company...hell even own the company perhaps.  You think Josh has the power to make these decisions alone?  You're idiots if you do.  He is just the public face for this.

Bigger companies than Obsidian have been brought to their knees by smaller groups than this before now.  Do I agree with censorship in any form?  Hell no.  Does it annoy me that these minority groups make us accept what they want, yet insist they do not have to listen to our voice?  Yes it royally pisses me off.

But I'm not a famous name, neither do I have a company to think about or shareholders and directors.

im sure the LGBT crowd accounts for a huge amount of their sales lol