Limerick edit thread 2

Oh I am not feeling like a winner her. I feel like the loser.  because I lost a fantastic developer which games I adored and loved

Seems like you're missing out because of a stupid joke. Is that really a good choice? I understand that people are upset (OK, I actually don't, because I thought the joke was in bad taste as well, so good riddance!) but it seems like you're ruining your own gaming.

There's a full game to enjoy and as far as I can tell, it doesn't have any sort of political agenda.

Oh I also thought the joke was stupid but again this is not about the joke. It is for me about Censorship.  And no it is not a good choice. ts a ****ing awful choice. But  as I said before artistic freedom is more important to me...

And As I said before I can not even bring up to play the game anymore because I am so dissapointed in Obsidian. Is it stupid of course it is.  But I can not help it at all this is how I feel. It is not rational it is emotional. 

Obsidian got away with this IMO. Look what Dota 2 fans did when Valve didn't release a Halloween patch last year - they destroyed the game Metacritic rating (from 9 to 2) , and spammed facebook accounts of Volvo and Obama (yeah)

This is exactly why I don't identify myself as a gamer. That's pathetic.

I just think a little more communication from Obsidian now would do worlds to calm this stuff down.

I know, Josh Sawyer never pays any attention to me either. It's very depressing.

Yeah  this person thanked him personally on twitter for listening to him/her... Josh youre a wuss and even though I've thought youre a stand up guy and developer, now I can tell youre a wimp. You will never stand toe to toe developer-wise with the likes of Brian Fargo etc. Such people would never care for such petty whiners on the internet, and instead would work hard on the patches and real important stuff (and not indulging some LGTB whiner)

But maybe Josh thinks the important thing in this patch was to indulge random whiners ?

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

"All that matters is whether or not the backer got burned (so to speak) by Obsidian. If Obsidian made the change with the backer's approval; then they did nothing wrong. Period."

You keep thinking that if the backer had said no Obsidian would have just shrugged their shoulders in moved on. Are you really that naive?

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'm using the ACLU's explanation of censorship. If you have a problem with their "ignorance", I suggest you contact one of the biggest free speech advocacy groups and inform them how they are wrong.

Their definition, as written, is ridiculous. It implies that any kind of advocacy is an attempt at censorship.

"Censorship [...] happens whenever some people succeed in imposing their personal political [...] values on others."

So voting is an attempt at censorship?

Take it up with them then, preferably in a manner where you don't employ selective editing. As a privileged cislord, I will continue to consider the ACLU's opinion on what constitutes censorship as more authoritative than Serdan from the Obsidian Forums.

Please refrain from using the term "cis" its extremely offensive

I'm sorry m'genderneutral pronoun. I'll make sure to check my privilege before I offend anyone else.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Obsidian got away with this IMO. Look what Dota 2 fans did when Valve didn't release a Halloween patch last year - they destroyed the game Metacritic rating (from 9 to 2) , and spammed facebook accounts of Volvo and Obama (yeah)

This is exactly why I don't identify myself as a gamer. That's pathetic.

You have a responsibility as a developer

And if you got your game through KICKSTARTER (i.e. other people's money) they you have even MORE responsibility to NOT LISTEN to some random whiner who didn't even back the game

• Like 2

~ Kaine

My character, a woman of colour was just assaulted by an npc. When did you stop beating your wife, Obisidian? This vile mysoginistic, racist violence that you shamelessly promote and profit off must end. If you don't patch out this clear ethical breech I guess we know your stance on domestic violence is 'pro' right?

• Like 2

Could someone explain (to a non-native speaker) why the original limerick was considered offensive? If i understood it correctly, not the transgender guy was killed, but the joke is actually on the idiot that couldn't deal with accidentially ****ing a guy and then he killed himself. So the joke isn't anti-transgender imo, more like anti-'straight guys with extremely insecure self-image'.

People in English native land don't have hardships so they occupt themselves by making them up.

Well, we have those non-problems in europe too ;). Just wasn't sure why transgender people would be offended, doesn't seem like a hate speech or ahate-joke (if thats the correct word)

actually most transgender folks were not offended but on vocal one was and obsidian caved

ye its pathetic. Now they're even lying how "that escaped voting initially".  Yeah right ! Feargus Ive grown up on your games and adore them, but don't insult my intelligence!

Edited by Luj1
  • Like 1

~ Kaine

The outcome of this issue was going to be a determining factor as to whether or not I continue to support this dev.

Unfortunately, from now on I will no longer be purchasing any products from Obsidian. 

I enjoyed New Vegas and Kotor 2 immensly and hope that you change your ways in the future so that maybe I can support you again.

Could someone explain (to a non-native speaker) why the original limerick was considered offensive? If i understood it correctly, not the transgender guy was killed, but the joke is actually on the idiot that couldn't deal with accidentially ****ing a guy and then he killed himself. So the joke isn't anti-transgender imo, more like anti-'straight guys with extremely insecure self-image'.

There is no transgender mentioned in the original poem.

"All that matters is whether or not the backer got burned (so to speak) by Obsidian. If Obsidian made the change with the backer's approval; then they did nothing wrong. Period."

You keep thinking that if the backer had said no Obsidian would have just shrugged their shoulders in moved on. Are you really that naive?

We'll never know what would have happened. I'll be mad at Obsidian when they actually do something wrong; not when they might do something wrong in what if world.

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Obsidian please remove Pillars from the title because that is phallic misogyny

best post in topic

/thread

~ Kaine

I think you should look up the definition of censorship. 

You're either dishonest or ignorant.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/censorship

a :  the institution, system, or practice of censoring ...

: a person who examines books, movies, letters, etc., and removes things that are considered to be offensive, immoral, harmful to society, etc.

A person.  Not a government, not a law, a PERSON.

Did a person examine this game?  Yes.

Did they apply pressure, directly, to the developer of said game to remove something they felt was offensive, immoral, or harmful to society?  Yes.

This person is a censor.

They performed censorship by pressuring the developer to remove it.

About to go offensive (trigger warning); if I "pressure" someone into having sex, I'm not a rapist or immoral, right?  After all, they could have said no, they could have resisted, so it's alright, right?

So you can't tell the difference between advocacy and rape. Gotcha.

As someone who lives in a country where censorship is explicitly prohibited by the constitution I just have to point out that a "censor" is historically an official.

Censor: "an official who examines books, plays, news reports, motion pictures, radio and television programs, letters, cablegrams, etc., for the purpose of suppressing parts deemed objectionable on moral, political, military, or other grounds."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/censor?s=t

You can expand the concept, sure, but you have to do it very carefully if you want to claim that censorship is a bad thing in any context.

Edited by Serdan

I just think a little more communication from Obsidian now would do worlds to calm this stuff down.

I know, Josh Sawyer never pays any attention to me either. It's very depressing.

Josh is apparently too busy feeding his morbidly obese cat. :p

Seriously am I the only one that can't get over the size of that thing?

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I'm using the ACLU's explanation of censorship. If you have a problem with their "ignorance", I suggest you contact one of the biggest free speech advocacy groups and inform them how they are wrong.

Their definition, as written, is ridiculous. It implies that any kind of advocacy is an attempt at censorship.

"Censorship [...] happens whenever some people succeed in imposing their personal political [...] values on others."

So voting is an attempt at censorship?

Take it up with them then, preferably in a manner where you don't employ selective editing. As a privileged cislord, I will continue to consider the ACLU's opinion on what constitutes censorship as more authoritative than Serdan from the Obsidian Forums.
Please refrain from using the term "cis" its extremely offensive

I'm sorry m'genderneutral pronoun. I'll make sure to check my privilege before I offend anyone else.

you know you can just call me sir lol, or if your feeling really nice your excellence lol

but many folks dont know that cis-gender is an extremely offensive way to refer to someone

Yes.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I think you should look up the definition of censorship. 

You're either dishonest or ignorant.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/censorship

a :  the institution, system, or practice of censoring ...

: a person who examines books, movies, letters, etc., and removes things that are considered to be offensive, immoral, harmful to society, etc.

A person.  Not a government, not a law, a PERSON.

Did a person examine this game?  Yes.

Did they apply pressure, directly, to the developer of said game to remove something they felt was offensive, immoral, or harmful to society?  Yes.

This person is a censor.

They performed censorship by pressuring the developer to remove it.

About to go offensive (trigger warning); if I "pressure" someone into having sex, I'm not a rapist or immoral, right?  After all, they could have said no, they could have resisted, so it's alright, right?

So you can't tell the difference between advocacy and rape. Gotcha.

As someone who lives in a country where censorship is explicitly prohibited by the constitution I just have to point out that a "censor" is historically an official.

Censor: "an official who examines books, plays, news reports, motion pictures, radio and television programs, letters, cablegrams, etc., for the purpose of suppressing parts deemed objectionable on moral, political, military, or other grounds."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/censor?s=t

You can expand the concept, sure, but you have to do it very carefully if you want to claim that censorship is a bad thing in any context.

oh yeah now we are going the not every censorship is bad...

YES EVERY FORM OF CENSORSHIPOT IS BAD....

Its like saying racism against white people is not as bad as racism against black people....

Seriously.. There is no different. There is no good or bad discrimination. there are no differences  at all....

I missed this how fat is the cat?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Well, I don't like my backer memorial, so I'm asking them to let me change it since it doesn't seem to be such a big deal now. If they really value their backers, they'll let me, right?

Ask to change it to something like "murdered over a joke"

Never negotiate. You will only encourage more acts of terror.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7411861/Andet/cat.jpg

Yeah but that cat's big. It's long and fat. Josh's is just round. My uncle owned a huge cat once that weighed a ton, but he had size to match.

Let's all go to Josh's house and roll his cat around like a ball. I'm sure we won't get scratched or anything.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Well, I don't like my backer memorial, so I'm asking them to let me change it since it doesn't seem to be such a big deal now. If they really value their backers, they'll let me, right?

It doesn't hurt to ask?