Limerick edit thread 2

If you think for one second that if he had said no they would have kept it as is you are delusional. The decision was made once Sawyer piped up. The backer had ZERO say. They probably allowed him to do the new limerick so he wouldn't make a stink. I guarantee he had NO say in the matter. NONE.

You can't guarantee anything, but your reasoning seems to be lacking.

If Obsidian was doing this to appease the SJW; then why would they approve this more offensive version where SJW's are insulted in the joke? Also, if they were trying to avoid a stink they wouldn't have done a thing.

Because it ain't about outrage, what SJW's want is not what they claim they want. What they want is the knowledge that whenever they cry, companies will spin around their finger so they can feel comfy.

Is is about power, not inclusivity.

• Like 1

I'm using the ACLU's explanation of censorship. If you have a problem with their "ignorance", I suggest you contact one of the biggest free speech advocacy groups and inform them how they are wrong.

Their definition, as written, is ridiculous. It implies that any kind of advocacy is an attempt at censorship.

"Censorship [...] happens whenever some people succeed in imposing their personal political [...] values on others."

So voting is an attempt at censorship?

This is the greatest fight of our lifetimes. Fifty years from now, your grandkids will ask you about this day, and you'll tell them how you braved the flames of the internet in a stand against censorship.

And they'll look up at you, their eyes brimming with tears, and they'll say "Grandpa, you tell the worst stories."

• Like 4

I'm going to tweet Mr Sawyer about how triggering and offensive the Sanitarium is, as someone who suffered from a mental illness, I can't believe the stigmatisation of mental illness as depicted in this game. And don't get me started on the lynching of those people hanged from trees as a black man!

• Like 1

I also have to say that I think it would've perhaps been a better idea that would please both parties if the limerick were left as it was, then as a show of good faith and to show this isn't about transphobia, plan a transgender character for the next title or expansion or DLC. It'd be quite easy to do with Pillars, for example. Say someone had an awakening where they realized they were the other gender in a past life, and say a successful animancy experiment transferred their soul into a body with the opposite gender. Proceed by treating the character respectfully as Obsidian is well within their capabilities of doing so.

Boom, problem solved.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Because it ain't about outrage, what SJW's want is not what they claim they want. What they want is the knowledge that whenever they cry, companies will spin around their finger so they can feel comfy.

Except, you know, that isn't actually borne out by reality.

This is the greatest fight of our lifetimes. Fifty years from now, your grandkids will ask you about this day, and you'll tell them how you braved the flames of the internet in a stand against censorship.

And they'll look up at you, their eyes brimming with tears, and they'll say "Grandpa, you tell the worst stories."

lol its too bad I wont live to have grandchildren

Fact of a the matter is that Obsidian and Josh fell to some good old fashioned Concern Trolling from people who will never play or buy their games in the first place. They were used in a political stunt, and as much as they are responsible for not realizing it, they aren't the enemy here.

I'm using the ACLU's explanation of censorship. If you have a problem with their "ignorance", I suggest you contact one of the biggest free speech advocacy groups and inform them how they are wrong.

Their definition, as written, is ridiculous. It implies that any kind of advocacy is an attempt at censorship.

"Censorship [...] happens whenever some people succeed in imposing their personal political [...] values on others."

Take it up with them then, preferably in a manner where you don't employ selective editing. As a privileged cislord, I will continue to consider the ACLU's opinion on what constitutes censorship as more authoritative than Serdan from the Obsidian Forums. Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Oh I am not feeling like a winner her. I feel like the loser.  because I lost a fantastic developer which games I adored and loved

Seems like you're missing out because of a stupid joke. Is that really a good choice? I understand that people are upset (OK, I actually don't, because I thought the joke was in bad taste as well, so good riddance!) but it seems like you're ruining your own gaming.

There's a full game to enjoy and as far as I can tell, it doesn't have any sort of political agenda.

• Like 1

No becasue this will not exist anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM-HJT8_esM

• Like 1

I also have to say that I think it would've perhaps been a better idea that would please both parties if the limerick were left as it was, then as a show of good faith and to show this isn't about transphobia, plan a transgender character for the next title or expansion or DLC. It'd be quite easy to do with Pillars, for example. Say someone had an awakening where they realized they were the other gender in a past life, and say a successful animancy experiment transferred their soul into a body with the opposite gender. Proceed by treating the character respectfully as Obsidian is well within their capabilities of doing so.

Boom, problem solved.

There's already a mage companion like that. Aside from the actual soul switching.

I just think a little more communication from Obsidian now would do worlds to calm this stuff down.

Only time can calm this sh1tstorm

Obsidian got away with this IMO. Look what Dota 2 fans did when Valve didn't release a Halloween patch last year - they destroyed the game Metacritic rating (from 9 to 2) , and spammed facebook accounts of Volvo and Obama (yeah)

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

Hehe, well said. I think the problem wasn't one to begin with, but if the devs are more comfortable with the changed version, thats their choice. A game doesn't have to be a platform for controversies the authors don't intend (even if the controversy itself seems ridiculous). A game is no public forum, and if the authors themselves make changes (no external agents), its certainly not censorship...

Except, you know, that isn't actually borne out by reality.

Is it not? Because I've seen few tweets making a company change content here...

We should all work together and write a song to commemorate this fight. Our own Battle Hymn of the Republic, but instead of slavery it's about the sanctity of bad Backer poems.

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of J. Sawyer
He's trampling out the vintage where the grapes of fun are stored

It's a rough start but come on we'll crowdsource this and get a pretty good tune. Something we can proudly sing as we march down the streets rage impotently from behind our computer monitors.

I just think a little more communication from Obsidian now would do worlds to calm this stuff down.

Only time can calm this sh1tstorm

Obsidian got away with this IMO. Look what Dota 2 fans did when Valve didn't release a Halloween patch last year - they destroyed the game Metacritic rating (from 9 to 2) , and spammed facebook accounts of Volvo and Obama (yeah)

Sounds like a sweet party I wish I'd been apart of.

Undeniably stupid, but a sweet party all the same.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Take it up with them then, preferably in a manner where you don't employ selective editing. As a privileged cislord, I will continue to consider the ACLU's opinion on what constitutes censorship as more authoritative than Serdan from the Obsidian Forums.

Please refrain from using the term "cis" its extremely offensive

If you think for one second that if he had said no they would have kept it as is you are delusional. The decision was made once Sawyer piped up. The backer had ZERO say. They probably allowed him to do the new limerick so he wouldn't make a stink. I guarantee he had NO say in the matter. NONE.

You can't guarantee anything, but your reasoning seems to be lacking.

If Obsidian was doing this to appease the SJW; then why would they approve this more offensive version where SJW's are insulted in the joke? Also, if they were trying to avoid a stink they wouldn't have done a thing.

Believe it or not; this isn't about the SJW at all. All that matters is whether or not the backer got burned (so to speak) by Obsidian. If Obsidian made the change with the backer's approval; then they did nothing wrong. Period.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I've seen some people wonder if "censorship" is the right word. I posted in this in a deleted thread so here it is again from another kickstarter came that also came under attack by people with a certian poltical agenda.

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2015/03/divinity-original-sin-dev-talks-boob-plates-sexism-and-moral-outrage/

Thierry: I’ve read comments like that, and I find it remarkable that they dismiss my opinion piece by dissecting my vocabulary and attacking my choice of words. But I will admit that I’ve misused some wording but my intent is still the same.

When you own a pizza place and one day the mob enters your little shack, threatens you by saying if I don’t stop selling pepperoni pizza’s they’ll do anything in their power to make sure you go out of business, then what should we call this? Blackmail? Censorship? Harassment? Extortion? or simply a trade embargo?

In the end the story remains the same, you are forced to rethink your actions and it leaves a shadow hanging over your creations. Every artist deals with criticism differently, I feel that inevitably your next piece will already be affected by it, consciously or unconsciously.

-Divine Divnity Developer.

• Like 1

Boom, problem solved.

Boy the dialogue for that would be funny

'NO, GET YOUR HANDS OFF! I'M A MAN!!!'

Or the quest titles for, 'Manhood' 'Womanhood' 'The Horror!'

;P