To distract myself from the howling void that is my life, until GOG pushes through patch 1.03, I decided to take a crack at the stats.

I know a lot of people aren't totally happy with their current implementation. While I think they works as-is, I also think they could be better. So here's my ideas. Feel free to post your own, as well.

Fitness
  • + % Melee damage
  • + % Max Health
  • + Fortitude Defense
  • + Deflection Defense
Coordination
  • + Action Speed
  • + Reflex Defense
  • + Deflection Defense
  • - Chance to be interrupted
Perception
  • + Chance to notice objects
  • + % Ranged damage
  • + Chance to interrupt
  • + Reflex Defense
Intellect
  • + % AOE size
  • + % Duration of Effects
  • + Will Defense
Resolve
  • + % Spell power
  • + % Max Endurance
  • + Fortitude Defense
  • + Will Defense

Some things to note:

Constitution and Strength are rolled into Fitness, bringing the total number of stats down to 5. Thematically, I don't think it's worth having them as two different stats. Generally when a character is strong, they are also tough. When they're tough, they're also strong. That said, mechanically, having more Fitness will give you more Health, but will NOT give you more Endurance. For Endurance, you need Resolve. This adds a bit more depth and customization, while forcing characters who want to be all-around tanky to invest in more stats.

Damage bonuses got split between Fitness (for melee), Perception (for ranged), and Resolve (for spells). I think this makes a lot more sense, thematically, and gives characters more of a sense of specialization.

Chance to notice traps and hidden items is, from what I understand, based on Mechanics skill? I moved it to Perception. It makes little sense, to me, for it to be tied to Mechanics.

I think these stats preserve the goal of having "no wrong choices". Every character can benefit from any stat. A wizard with unusually high Fitness and Perception will fulfill more of a "spellsword" role, using their spells as a compliment to their natural prowess with weaponry. A Fighter with unusually high Intellect and Coordination is going to be focused primarily on crowd controlling the enemy, perhaps less so on tanking blows.

Unfortunately with this setup a melee fighter just needs to stack Fitness and Coordination and he not only gets great deflection but can attack faster and hit harder with each hit with less chance of interruption.

Pretty nice ideas though, could be worth trying when the modding scene kicks up more.

Unfortunately with this setup a melee fighter just needs to stack Fitness and Coordination and he not only gets great deflection but can attack faster and hit harder with each hit with less chance of interruption.

Pretty nice ideas though, could be worth trying when the modding scene kicks up more.

True, but a Fitness+Coordination melee character is going to be a glass cannon in each fight, unless they also invest in Resolve.

Yeah I might see about modding, once the game starts to settle down.