PoE won't start at all (Linux)

Soulsuke

Question

As the title says, PoE won't start at all since today.

It has been working flawl-... It had some bugs here and there, but the game has been working acceptably for the past two days. Then today it refuses to start at all. The "Preparing to launch application..." window appears, my Steam status changes to "In Game", then it goes back to "Online" and nothing happens. There isn't a process for PoE running in the background, and restarting Steam won't help, and only PoE is affected by this.

Running the game from terminal (both ./PillarsOfEternity and /path/steam-runtime/run.sh ./PillarsOfEternity) yelds no significant output: 

Set current directory to /home/soulsuke/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Pillars of Eternity
Found path: /home/***/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity
Mono path[0] = '/home/***/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/***/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/***/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity_Data/Mono/etc'

It appears to simply quit returning 0 (as print $? shows), no crash, no failures, it just quits "correctly"... Or so the executable file reports to the OS.

So... My systems' specs: Debian Jessie/Sid running kernel yami 3.16.0-4-amd64, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M with official driver rev 343.36. No significant updates to the system's configuration or to important libraries has occoured in the time between the game was running and since it stopped working.

Also, for the record: http://steamcommunity.com/app/291650/discussions/0/618458030654402222/ 

Attaching a savegame file wouldn't help at all since the game can't even start. As for the player.log file, it doesn't even get created.

If I can be of further assistance, let me know.

2 answers to this question

Soulsuke,

Just for grins I rebooted while having the same issue (Linux Mint 17.1 KDE). Works like a charm now. It must be leaving a stale lockfile somewhere or something in the cache is getting polluted.

FYI, and good luck.

John

That's very strange, I'm running it on pretty much the same without problems, except for me using a different kernel (self-compiled 3.19).

Though, people in the original thread tell that 1.03 fixed it for them - can you confirm that?