Update 93: Patch 1.03 - Important Community Fixes

A

?

I think he was drunk.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Either learn about oppression or be ignorant and quiet.

Absolutely. Silencing others is the best course of action for the LGBT community to be liked and accepted. All dissent must be eliminated, no opposing points of view can be made. Discussion is a tool of the evil.

This is exactly the thing that forced me to redefine my worldview two years ago - the surprising amount of intolerance exhibited by those supposedly fighting for tolerance. Because ends don't justify the means. Never.

Guest Slinky

A bit of feedback amongst this maelstrom of hippo dung: A three step slider called graphics quality tells me very little what it does. A slider called anti-aliasing which would show me how much AA is applied in each step would tell me plenty. Just something you might want to have a second look once the high priority stuff is out of the way.

A

?

I think he was drunk.

I regret not being drunk when reading this thread.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Vok, I'd call you a troll, but that would be a compliment. You're ignorant, and loud. Either learn about oppression or be ignorant and quiet.

Of course someone like you would call me a troll. After all defamation is way easier than engaging in a debate. Personally I am great fan of how you did not address any of the points I provided but went straight to trying to silence discourse.

Actually, please do educate me , someone who grew up in a communistic sowjet satellite state on oppression. It will surely involve a lot of laughter about your lack of self-awareness.

Edited by Vok
  • Like 2

Wasn't sure whether this was best in Technical Issues or here, so I did both (a mod can delete one as appropriate). When I try to install the mac patch from GOG I get the message "This patch will not work with your version!" and then the install fails, any ideas?

Here's my specs:

Processor  2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory  8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics  Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB

Software  OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion)

• Like 1

I have a GOG version of the game, and after istalling the patch I noticed one attribute point for character creation is missing.

I used to have 18 points to distribute, now I have 17.

Was this planned , or is it a new bug?

It's 17+1 points to set, 17 from the stats panel +1 selecting the background of your character.

Previously the +1 from culture background was given before selecting any culture, giving you automatically the +1 on resolve of the Aedyr culture.  

CzSyX91.jpg

Anyone who believes that Obsidian "caved" to some sort of external pressure on this needs to go have an epiphany or two.

1. The limerick is clearly, unambiguously offensive.  Not only does it suggest that sleeping with a man is an act so disgusting that someone would commit suicide afterwards, it also promotes a stereotype that the transgendered pretend to be cisgendered in order to sleep with cisgendered people.

2. I understand how such a poem can seem innocuous.  Most of us have heard similar (and much, much worse) jokes before, many, many times.  A similar joke even appeared on HBO's Entourage several years ago.  What's the big deal?  Well, the big deal is that most of us aren't really conditioned to notice the deeper implications of these jokes.  I wasn't until fairly recently.  But if you're a transgendered person, the world is already full enough of jokes, comments, assumptions and outright vitriol that all say "You are not welcome here."

3. What do I mean "You are not welcome here?"  Can't anyone who is offended by the poem just ignore it and enjoy the rest of the game?  Ideally, yes.  But probably no, the game would be tainted.  I bet every person reading this can think of at least one thing they really liked which was ruined when the discovered something upsetting about its creator.  And by leaving the poem in, Obsidian would have been implicitly endorsing the sentiment of it.

4. The most likely explanation for what happened here is exactly what Obsidian have said.  When you're working on a project as enormous as PoE, is it that hard to believe that a handful of things slipped through the cracks?  This patch also fixed a major bug that slipped through the cracks, and yet nobody is suggesting that Obsidian released the game like that because they'd already vetted that bug and decided it was okay, until someone on the internet kicked up a fuss about it.  The most likely explanation is that Obsidian were already a company who wouldn't want to say something like what was said in that limerick, and would have changed it before release - if it hadn't slipped through the cracks.

5. As a general rule of thumb: if a joke appeared on Entourage, it was probably lame, cheap, mean-spirited, and offensive.

Honestly, if you find that limerick to "taint" the game, is that no different, than the people who said the removal of it to some twitter outrage mob?

Also, that is by far one of the least offensive things in the game. You have bodies being hung from trees, mothers being killed because they had hollowborn kids, undead kids being killed (thats what wichts are), among several other things, and yet its a light hearted limerick about some idiot who offed himself after a sexual encounter went awry. I will say yet again, that there is not enough information in the limerick to draw any valid conclusions other than the following: Firedorn was a dude who thought was ana amazing ladies man, and had sex with someone who turned out to be a man. It doesn't state whether the other person was trans, using mind control, using illusions, using shapeshifting, being deceptive, etc. It doesn't say whether Firedorn was drunk, high, drugged, etc. It doesn't say whether the sex was consensual or rape. 

• Like 1

Anyone who believes that Obsidian "caved" to some sort of external pressure on this needs to go have an epiphany or two.

1. The limerick is clearly, unambiguously offensive.  Not only does it suggest that sleeping with a man is an act so disgusting that someone would commit suicide afterwards, it also promotes a stereotype that the transgendered pretend to be cisgendered in order to sleep with cisgendered people.

2. I understand how such a poem can seem innocuous.  Most of us have heard similar (and much, much worse) jokes before, many, many times.  A similar joke even appeared on HBO's Entourage several years ago.  What's the big deal?  Well, the big deal is that most of us aren't really conditioned to notice the deeper implications of these jokes.  I wasn't until fairly recently.  But if you're a transgendered person, the world is already full enough of jokes, comments, assumptions and outright vitriol that all say "You are not welcome here."

3. What do I mean "You are not welcome here?"  Can't anyone who is offended by the poem just ignore it and enjoy the rest of the game?  Ideally, yes.  But probably no, the game would be tainted.  I bet every person reading this can think of at least one thing they really liked which was ruined when the discovered something upsetting about its creator.  And by leaving the poem in, Obsidian would have been implicitly endorsing the sentiment of it.

4. The most likely explanation for what happened here is exactly what Obsidian have said.  When you're working on a project as enormous as PoE, is it that hard to believe that a handful of things slipped through the cracks?  This patch also fixed a major bug that slipped through the cracks, and yet nobody is suggesting that Obsidian released the game like that because they'd already vetted that bug and decided it was okay, until someone on the internet kicked up a fuss about it.  The most likely explanation is that Obsidian were already a company who wouldn't want to say something like what was said in that limerick, and would have changed it before release - if it hadn't slipped through the cracks.

5. As a general rule of thumb: if a joke appeared on Entourage, it was probably lame, cheap, mean-spirited, and offensive.

I will go out on a limb here and claim that YOU are the one who needs an epiphany or two. You sweep into this thread, probably before even bothering to read through in defense of the poor folks that get OFFENDED and triggered by jokes.

1. The limerick is clearly, unambiguously offensive.

That some great proof you have there. A joke being bad or you not liking a joke does not making it offensive. You pretending that it is a fact, again, does not make it so. In fact, if you actually read through this thread you would have seen the majority of posters are baffled at how much of a sensitive special snowflake you have to be to be offended by it.

Not only does it suggest that sleeping with a man is an act so disgusting that someone would commit suicide afterwards

Clearly we also need to examine jokes about chickens crossing the streets, those are chock-full of animal abuse! But seriously, stop being silly. I know that Social Justice Warriors love to read A LOT into harmless things but you are just being silly now.

that the transgendered pretend to be cisgendered in order to sleep with cisgendered people.

What kind of stereotype is promoted if the very person offended by that tweets to kill all men repeatedly?  Would you agree with me to call this person a bigot? Or will you just shrug it off claiming that the anecdotal evidence we have for the offended person in question to be a nut-job can be ignored?

Which on the other hand would make you a hypocrite. Wow, how is that for an epiphany, bro?

Well, the big deal is that most of us aren't really conditioned to notice the deeper implications of these jokes

So people making any kind of politically incorrect joke turns them into sexist bigot rapists? Maybe there are not "deeper implications". Maybe for people a joke is just a joke, not a sociopolitical statement. But of course that is impossible because for the SocJust-Cult everything has to be political so they can safely feel believe that everything and everyone is out to get them.

Sure wish I had some sort of Grey Eminence like the Patriarchy to blame for all the poor decisions I made in my life! Its not me being dumb its THE MAN holding me back guys, I swear!

But probably no, the game would be tainted.  I bet every person reading this can think of at least one thing they really liked which was ruined when the discovered something upsetting about its creator.

Actually no. Because that's not how any sane person would behave.

Now I know my completely radical ideas may blow your mind, but bear with me:

Just because you like the books of this or that writer, doesn't mean that you have to 100% agree with their political views.

Just because you like this or that actor, doesn't mean you have to vote for the same party, wear the same clothes as him or listen to the same music he likes.

Heck, I probably have a completely different views on politics than most of the Obsidian Devs. Doesn't make me enjoy their writing and the games any less. And why I am salty that they gave in to outrage culture if won't stop me from buying their games in the future, or liking all those Obsidian/Black Isle/Interplay games I already played.

How god damn self-righteous do you have to be to condemn this or that as "tainted" because they have a different political opinion than you?

There is a very interesting book that was written by an American author Todd Strasser called "The Wave". I recommend it as a reading material to you, who are so quick to judge people on their personal beliefs while fighting for Social Justice. You actually might experience an epiphany or two while reading it.

As a general rule of thumb: If you think that being offended is some sort of argument to remove or change content in games, books or movies you should first take good look at yourself and ponder if it doesn't reveal more about your issues with yourself. 

QFT

Any idea when the patch will be available for the GOG.com version...still not seeing an update in my accounts page.

The patch is on GOG but the hotfix isn't. For some reason it doesn't show an update notification, but if you go to Pillars of Eternity in your library, the patch is there.

Although this isn't mentioned in the patch notes I have a feeling the maximum zoom in amount has been increased. I actually like it that way.

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Wasn't sure whether this was best in Technical Issues or here, so I did both (a mod can delete one as appropriate). When I try to install the mac patch from GOG I get the message "This patch will not work with your version!" and then the install fails, any ideas?

Here's my specs:

Processor  2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory  8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics  Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB

Software  OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion)

Same here.

One really needs to be a piece of work to get offended at that limerick stone.

• Like 1

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

Obsidian didn't only "cave in" when they changed the epitaph, they immediately shat their pants, without a further thought, when someone, trying to represent a minority got upset about whoknowswhat.

As I read it, the original epitaph had a male character, who was (or was pretending to be) a proud heterosexual, conquering women left and right. Then one night he got effing wasted, and ended up having sex with either a very feminine man, a transvestite man or a transsexual man. This made him feel so confused and ashamed that he ended his own life.

Would the epitaph have been less offensive, if it featured a proud homosexual Dorn Lightbringer, getting wasted and having a sexual intercourse with a very masculine looking woman, and feeling severely confused and ashamed, and finally ending his own life?

This whole situation reminds me of the debacle(both the contemporary and the modern day) around Jonathan Swift's poem, the Lady's Dressing Room. "Feminists" always seem to interpret it as a misogynist text, when in reality, it only mocks the male protagonist for being an ignorant fool, and expecting women to be angels, when in reality they are they are just humans, equal to men.

Edit: Misspelled the name of Swift's poem...

Edited by Ignoramus
  • Like 1

Let's be real for a second:

Obsidian is not going to change their game just because of some tweets, nor some forum posts. It's amazing how, as soon as Obsidian does something you disagree with, they go from Gaming Gods to Spineless Wimps. Everyone loves to throw around the blanket term "artistic vision" until it collides with their beliefs. 

• Like 7

What is the goal of this discussion? If you participate in it, are you actually trying to dissolve the issue, or are you merely juggling idiosyncrasies, opinions, and ideas back and forth? I mean, there is a difference between seriously examining conflict so as to understand and dissolve it, and being mentally excited by opinionated debates and speculation. I just wish to know where we are going with this because it seems to me that it is not going anywhere at all.

These two things are not mutually exclusive, though.

Let's be real for a second:

Obsidian is not going to change their game just because of some tweets, nor some forum posts. It's amazing how, as soon as Obsidian does something you disagree with, they go from Gaming Gods to Spineless Wimps. Everyone loves to throw around the blanket term "artistic vision" until it collides with their beliefs.

Except, to be real for a second, we saw it happen. In real time. And we have also seen, in the very same context, that this did nothing to lessen the perceived insult to the perpetually offended.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Any idea when the patch will be available for the GOG.com version...still not seeing an update in my accounts page.

The patch is on GOG but the hotfix isn't. For some reason it doesn't show an update notification, but if you go to Pillars of Eternity in your library, the patch is there.

Although this isn't mentioned in the patch notes I have a feeling the maximum zoom in amount has been increased. I actually like it that way.

Ah yes thank you I see it now. It doesn't show on the icon for Pillars that there is an update, but after clicking on it I see the patch (but as you said, not the hotfix). What issues exactly does the hotfix correct so I can avoid those until it comes out for GoG.com?

Except, to be real for a second, we saw it happen. In real time. And we have also seen, in the very same context, that this did nothing to lessen the perceived insult to the perpetually offended.

I forget reading the part where Feargus wrote "we changed it because some people on Twitter made a fuss". 

• Like 1