Update 93: Patch 1.03 - Important Community Fixes

but here, asking women about stories of workplace harassment would provide a basically endless supply of anecdotes that would leave you despairing for humanity.  Most of the time, only the most severe cases are ever reported, but there are countless more that people just bear because they don't want to deal with the trouble of complaining about.

Because women *never* do any kind of harassment at work. My mother was bullied for years in her workplace, where there are only women. I guess she was mobbed by dwarves, fairies or invisible male ghosts? And do you think men report bullying done to them? Nope, they don't - mostly because they're met with laughter - like my female collegue did to me once. Literally laughed in my face (I guess depression is a laughing matter!). No wonder men die by suicide almost 5 times as often as women.

Are men met with laughter or are they afraid they'll be met with laughter?  Either way, I used sexual harassment of women as an example because it's pervasive, and so possibly easier to identify with.  But people are absolutely harassed for all sorts of reasons, men and women alike.  I definitely didn't mean to imply that that wasn't the case.

That said, as a victim of harassment yourself I'm sure you can identify with how someone might feel when encountering a joke like this.  One that implies that sex with someone like them is so horrible, so shameful, that the only recourse for someone that discovers they've done this is suicide.  But it's a joke so no harm done, just get over it right?  And maybe it is just a joke, but it's also one more joke amid a sea of similar crap from a thousand different sources and damnit but this is a game it should be something you can enjoy and not be reminded of your daily struggle for acceptance.  This is a complex issue, but ultimately, if someone finds out they've been a jerk to me, even unintentionally, one would hope I'd get an apology.  It's core to the nature of living with people.

• Like 2

*sigh*

So what you are saying is that if a guy sleeps with a woman, and later that guy finds out she is trans and he is upset by this, that woman is a rapist?

^This is why Obsidian changed the poem. They do not want to re-enforce that type of bigoted thinking. 

If that trans woman took advantage of a straight man who was too drunk to consent, then yes. She was a rapist. Just as I wrote earlier.

How do you know what exactly happened just from 4 verses? Was the straight man too intoxicated to give consent or not? Was the trans woman the active party? Did she stop when he said no or not? Did he said no or not? Please answer those questions exactly. Until then, we shall leave the matter of who is the bigot here unresolved, shall we?

You are convoluting the issue by introducing drugs. No one said anything about drugs. Please stop deflecting and examine what is happening.

What you mean is. Please stop mentioning alternate theories, and only discuss the one I want to be talked about, in the way I want to be talked about.

The Limerick if 4 lines long. You have 0 way of determining whether the person Firedorn slept was a transperson, someone using an illusion spell, someone using mind control/domination someone magically shapechanged, someone doing this with the intent of specifically ****ing with firedorns head, whether either side was intoxicated or under the influence and thus unable to give consent, whether rape was involved, etc etc etc. There is simply not enough information contained within. 

Firedorn discovering his paramour was a man, could have been through him waking up from his drunken stupor, or the person could have told him, or a magic spell could have expired. There is simply not enough in 4 lines to come to any conclusion. There is 1 Person who knows what the actual backstory is. That is Firedorn. He has said it had nothing to do with trans people and I believe him. If you believe his Take That at the SJWs calling for a change proves he is a transhating bigot, you still don't get it. If i wrote something that nothing to do with an entire group, and a bunch of people got all pissed over nothing, I might be a little salty too.

This whole thing happened because some people saw, came up with their own backstory, and went rabid.

• Like 2

Nah dude, its nothing like that, Obsidian jumped the shark but what is done is done. I'll just try to get my money back and move on with life, twas a great experience thou, but somehow now, the game feels like the game is garroted (dont even know if this word exist in your language, sorry) for me.

Hey, it's your money. If an enormous sprawling RPG, the product of years of work, is soiled forever for you and every product of the company that made it tainted from here on out because one piece of dialogue was changed to something more PC, then go ahead and seek a refund and move on with your life Obsidian-free. 

I just reserve the right to think of this as utterly ridiculous. 

• Like 2

I think the Limerick should have been left in, as there was nothing wrong with it, I do think it was dumb for Obsidian to cave, but that it was a dumb thing for SJWs to give a crap about in the first place. Admittedly, I make a difference between SJWs (WHich i percieve to make issues where there are none and in general be huge nuisances, and normal every day average decent people, who have some of the same ideals, but pick their battles more wisely and tend to not be as vitriolic.

• Like 2

It would've been smarter to let it blow over and ask the backer nothing. Work instead on the patch and deliver it one day earlier.

Edited by Luj1

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

Nah dude, its nothing like that, Obsidian jumped the shark but what is done is done. I'll just try to get my money back and move on with life, twas a great experience thou, but somehow now, the game feels like the game is garroted (dont even know if this word exist in your language, sorry) for me.

Hey, it's your money. If an enormous sprawling RPG, the product of years of work, is soiled forever for you and every product of the company that made it tainted from here on out because one piece of dialogue was changed to something more PC, then go ahead and seek a refund and move on with your life Obsidian-free. 

Yup.

Junk like this and GG are doing more harm to gaming than what it believes it opposes. I hate how people love to think it is easier to believe that their favorite company has been literally infected with whatever they dislike rather than go "hey, these independent, smart people have values and ideas that don't line up with mine and did something they think is best. I don't agree with it but hey". 

Way to show respect for the thing you like. Way to be a "fan".

Edited by Bryy
  • Like 1

I find it a little distressing that several people view the poem change as "caving" to extremists. I have no doubt that extremists got involved, demanding the poem's removal in hypocritical ways. I think such behavior is reprehensible.

HOWEVER

The behavior of a handful of crazies is not a good basis for action, one way or another. If the worst human being on earth said that Steve Colbert is the devil, this wouldn't be a good reason to not watch Mr. Colbert's show, nor would it be a good reason to watch it. It would be hysterical babbling, nothing more or less, with no moral and no onus on you or me or Obsidian to do anything, in either (or any) direction.

So in looking at Obsidian's decision here, let us look entirely at their actual choice and tune out the extremists completely.

• Like 1

Anyone who believes that Obsidian "caved" to some sort of external pressure on this needs to go have an epiphany or two.

1. The limerick is clearly, unambiguously offensive.  Not only does it suggest that sleeping with a man is an act so disgusting that someone would commit suicide afterwards, it also promotes a stereotype that the transgendered pretend to be cisgendered in order to sleep with cisgendered people.

2. I understand how such a poem can seem innocuous.  Most of us have heard similar (and much, much worse) jokes before, many, many times.  A similar joke even appeared on HBO's Entourage several years ago.  What's the big deal?  Well, the big deal is that most of us aren't really conditioned to notice the deeper implications of these jokes.  I wasn't until fairly recently.  But if you're a transgendered person, the world is already full enough of jokes, comments, assumptions and outright vitriol that all say "You are not welcome here."

3. What do I mean "You are not welcome here?"  Can't anyone who is offended by the poem just ignore it and enjoy the rest of the game?  Ideally, yes.  But probably no, the game would be tainted.  I bet every person reading this can think of at least one thing they really liked which was ruined when the discovered something upsetting about its creator.  And by leaving the poem in, Obsidian would have been implicitly endorsing the sentiment of it.

4. The most likely explanation for what happened here is exactly what Obsidian have said.  When you're working on a project as enormous as PoE, is it that hard to believe that a handful of things slipped through the cracks?  This patch also fixed a major bug that slipped through the cracks, and yet nobody is suggesting that Obsidian released the game like that because they'd already vetted that bug and decided it was okay, until someone on the internet kicked up a fuss about it.  The most likely explanation is that Obsidian were already a company who wouldn't want to say something like what was said in that limerick, and would have changed it before release - if it hadn't slipped through the cracks.

5. As a general rule of thumb: if a joke appeared on Entourage, it was probably lame, cheap, mean-spirited, and offensive.

• Like 6

Thread pruned.

To repeat myself: it's fine to state your opinion re: the tombstone situation, but let's try to stay away from blanket marginalizing of groups/people's mental states in the process. It's neither helpful nor productive.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

That you do, but that kind of thing doesnt make people opinions count less, see the thing that caused all this, per see.

• Like 2

Thread pruned.

To repeat myself: it's fine to state your opinion re: the tombstone situation, but let's try to stay away from blanket marginalizing of groups/people's mental states in the process. It's neither helpful nor productive.

as horrible as it might sound, wouldn't it be better to lock it down? new threads will spawn, yes... but this one has derailed.

In-Development: Turn-Based cRPG, late backing OPEN!

realms_beyond_logo_360x90px_transparent_

Are men met with laughter or are they afraid they'll be met with laughter?  Either way, I used sexual harassment of women as an example because it's pervasive, and so possibly easier to identify with.  But people are absolutely harassed for all sorts of reasons, men and women alike.  I definitely didn't mean to imply that that wasn't the case.

That said, as a victim of harassment yourself I'm sure you can identify with how someone might feel when encountering a joke like this.  One that implies that sex with someone like them is so horrible, so shameful, that the only recourse for someone that discovers they've done this is suicide.  But it's a joke so no harm done, just get over it right?  And maybe it is just a joke, but it's also one more joke amid a sea of similar crap from a thousand different sources and damnit but this is a game it should be something you can enjoy and not be reminded of your daily struggle for acceptance.  This is a complex issue, but ultimately, if someone finds out they've been a jerk to me, even unintentionally, one would hope I'd get an apology.  It's core to the nature of living with people.

Men are met with laughter, and then they become afraid when they sense a pattern. All my lifetime experience confirms that. Another anecgdotal example - when I took time off to visit hospital for a magnetic resonance imaging (to exclude a brain tumor, had persistent vertigo later confirmed to be caused by stress), a female office manager joked loudly in the open space about "men being so weak that they go to hospital on a mere whim". How do you think I felt? This kind of shaming is perfectly acceptable in today's society and is rarely, if ever, called upon (she wasn't called upon by any of the 20 people in the room). And I can give many more examples. This is the "empathy gap".

This is keenly illustrated by the fact that the LGBT-worrying lady who started the controversy on Twitter in the first place, advocates killing all men. She tweeted she's not joking, she's all serious. So tell me please - why is this socially unacceptable to make an LGBT person feel offended, yet absolutely acceptable to seriously wish death, rounding in the concentration camps (her words, check her tweets) to me and literally billions of people? Am I to think if Erika and other "LGBT advocates" like her come to power, I'll be dead?

As long as she is excused for daily tweeting of "kill all men" telling at the same time she's serious, I find a hard time to empathise with her plea. I don't support people who threaten me with death. She does the LGBT community the biggest disservice, not some stupid limerick inside a game.

Edit: threat -> threaten, do excuse my English, I'm not a native speaker...

Edited by Azradun
  • Like 1

What is the goal of this discussion? If you participate in it, are you actually trying to dissolve the issue, or are you merely juggling idiosyncrasies, opinions, and ideas back and forth? I mean, there is a difference between seriously examining conflict so as to understand and dissolve it, and being mentally excited by opinionated debates and speculation. I just wish to know where we are going with this because it seems to me that it is not going anywhere at all.

1. The limerick is clearly, unambiguously offensive.  

Backer content has to be approved beforehand, so you're basically saying Obsidian put an offensive text in the game on purpose. Which is beyond ridiculous.

A more realistic explanation is that only a handful of liberal hipsters get offended at a non-issue like this. Appropriately enough, there's now a joke in the game which makes fun of them.

Edited by Luj1
  • Like 3

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

This is keenly illustrated by the fact that the LGBT-worrying lady who started the controversy on Twitter in the first place, advocates killing all men. She tweeted she's not joking, she's all serious. So tell me please - why is this socially unacceptable to make an LGBT person feel offended, yet absolutely acceptable to seriously wish death, rounding in the concentration camps (her words, check her tweets) to me and literally billions of people?

Whether the person who tweeted the original tweet has toxic views of their own is not relevant to this issue.  It is possible for a person to have some entirely reasonable views and some entirely despicable ones.  If this person believes that all men should be killed or put into concentration camps, then that's a toxic viewpoint that I ardently disagree with.

But the point about being inclusive is valid, and one I (and, evidently, Obsidian) already held.  Just because someone who believes that all men should be killed also made this point does not make it invalid.

• Like 2

Obsidian did put in an offensive joke as it was made to be offensive, just not in the way that people misconstrued it. It's also not the only offensive one in the game. Obsidian obviously didn't and still don't care about the jokes being offensive as long as they are within a certain standard, which is why they supposedly vetted memorials before they were put in the game. Obsidian stated that the joke, that did make it through, didn't meet this standard "tone" while other offensive jokes apparently do. 

Is it possible that this one joke made it through their screening process? Yes, but that doesn't mesh with what Firedorn wrote happened: They asked him if he wanted to change it based on the outcry to have it changed.

So what exactly is this tone that Obsidian referred to? Good question and we don't know. From what I can see there is no consistent tone that can be discerned from Obsidian's action.  

• Like 1

What about this bug?

My companion back at the keep ran about 3 adventures, 1 major and 2 minor while I was away. When I got back to the keep I expected the rewards to be stacked in the treasury chest, however all I got was one lousy scroll (assuming it was the reward from the last minor).

This makes me assume that unless you pick up the reward after the adventure is complete they get overwritten in the chest, so you'll be missing out on rewards if you're not heading back after each completion.

I got same problem. Instead one lousy scroll I've got nothing in chest. After couple of adventures ran by my companion my chest is empty. Even if I got message that rewards are waiting in chest in the main hall. Rewards are missing.

And another thing (maybe it's a feature not a bug?)
When I remove companion and join him/her again all stats of this certain companion are reset. No history about the biggest creature he/she killed, how many points overall he/she made etc. before removing him/her from team.

What about this bug?

My companion back at the keep ran about 3 adventures, 1 major and 2 minor while I was away. When I got back to the keep I expected the rewards to be stacked in the treasury chest, however all I got was one lousy scroll (assuming it was the reward from the last minor).

This makes me assume that unless you pick up the reward after the adventure is complete they get overwritten in the chest, so you'll be missing out on rewards if you're not heading back after each completion.

I got same problem. Instead one lousy scroll I've got nothing in chest. After couple of adventures ran by my companion my chest is empty. Even if I got message that rewards are waiting in chest in the main hall. Rewards are missing.

And another thing (maybe it's a feature not a bug?)

When I remove companion and join him/her again all stats of this certain companion are reset. No history about the biggest creature he/she killed, how many points overall he/she made etc. before removing him/her from team.

I've noticed the same thing. The chest or keep mission system is definently very iffy. I also wonder if taxes are supposed to show up in the chest, because I have yet to find any in there. 

*sigh*

So what you are saying is that if a guy sleeps with a woman, and later that guy finds out she is trans and he is upset by this, that woman is a rapist?

^This is why Obsidian changed the poem. They do not want to re-enforce that type of bigoted thinking. 

By the socjus crowd's own definitions it would be rape by deception.

But since the "victim" was a male, who obviously can't be a victim due to his privilege and status as an oppressor, the true victim in the situation turns out to be the person whose feelings were hurt, who clearly did no wrong.

Sorry, try again, it is not rape. You are demonstrating the bigotry that caused Obsidian to change this in the first place.

Also, of course males can be victims. I am unsure what that has to do with anything.

http://www.everydaysexism.com/

Only in the sense that, like every other limerick or joke ever written, it is "clearly, unambiguously" capable of offending someone in the world.

Not in the sense that it's unusually offensive, or that offending someone in particular was the author's motive for writing it.

For example, the lame "tomato crosses the street and becomes ketchup" joke? Clearly and unambiguously offensive to someone who is grieving for a loved one lost in a traffic accident.

Offensiveness is always in the mind of the beholder, and depends on their frame of mind, beliefs, and prior experiences. The question is to what extent do authors have to minimize the chances of such offense taking place? Imo courtesy is a two-way street. People should not be deliberately offensive d*cks in what they say and write, but people who are easily offended on certain topics should also try to avoid them or otherwise deal with them on their own, rather than expecting the whole world to always cater to them and assuming malice if it doesn't.

And the extent to which authors should be expected to not hurt certain feelings, should be tied to how reasonable those feelings are. Consider "offense" that is taken as a result of having internalized conspiracy theories or having developed chip-on-shoulder syndrome from excessive participation in echo chambers like parts of twitter and tumblr.

Not only does it suggest that sleeping with a man is an act so disgusting that someone would commit suicide afterwards

No, it suggests that accidentally sleeping with someone contrary to one's sexual preference is awkward. Which is neither bigoted nor "anti inclusive", it's pretty common sense.

Straight cis people should respect LGBT people's identity and sexual preferences, but that does not mean that they should be expected to deny their own sexual preference. Refusing to hire a gay person or voting against gay marriage is intolerant and bigoted; feeling grossed out by the thought of f***ing another man yourself, isn't.

Of course the "protagonist" of the poem completely overreacted to that awkward situation by jumping off a cliff, so ultimately the joke's on him.

it also promotes a stereotype that the transgendered pretend to be cisgendered in order to sleep with cisgendered people.

Even if you interpret the "woman who turned out to be a man" in the limerick as a trans person, despite the fact that this interpretation is not the most obvious in context and that the author has denied it - why does constructing a fictional situation automatically have to mean promoting the idea that all people of some category are always like this?

Which brings me back to the chip-on-shoulder thing. It appears that certain theories about an alleged violent persecution campaign of cis people against trans people, are very popular and strongly believed in the "twitter/tumblr trans community" echo chamber - including the belief that certain stereotypes are actually weapons employed by this campaign to ultimately murder or harm trans people. So of course it's understandable that they would be emotionally triggered when confronted with a fictional situation that could (with a little squinting) be interpreted to reflect one of those stereotypes. It's not political opportunism as some commentators have claimed; those are genuine feelings.

However, people on the outside of that echo chamber do have reason to be reluctant to cater to those feelings, because from the outside those theories seem like conspiracy theories and the resulting feelings rather unreasonable.

The "progressive" forum members seem to want the "outside" majority to blindly accept every whim of the "echo chamber" minority, as a matter of courtesy. I think a more sensible solution would be to expect both parties to meet each other half way.

Don't intentionally propagate stereotypes that you know others are afraid of as part of their belief system (even if you think it's nuts), but also don't go around the world (or Internet) with a chip on your shoulder throwing a tantrum and accusing people of malice whenever you find something that superficially matches a taboo of your echo chamber.

PS: Let me reiterate that I don't think Obsidian did anything wrong here, and that the people who are now calling for boycotts and refunds should calm down and get some perspective. The game was not made worse in any way by this change, and it's silly to fear that the game's mature themes are now at risk of being edited out. Also a change is not self-censorship if it aligns with the company's own values, even if you don't agree with them.

Edited by Ineth
  • Like 4

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

No, it suggests that accidentally sleeping with someone contrary to one's sexual preference is awkward. Which is neither bigoted nor "anti inclusive", it's pretty common sense.

Straight cis people should respect LGBT people's identity and sexual preferences, but that does not mean that they should be expected to deny their own sexual preference. Refusing to hire a gay person or voting against gay marriage is intolerant and bigoted; feeling grossed out by the thought of f***ing another man yourself, isn't.

This. I have worked with gay people in the past, and liked them, but the thought about engaging in a sexual intercourse with them was still revolting to me. I don't have to find everyone sexually attractive! If I talk to an old lady amicably but I'm grossed out at a mere thought of a sexual intercourse with her, I am not a bigot. Same goes with LGBT people. Heck, there are some sexual fetishes acceptable to some, but extremely gross to others. And it's normal, until nobody is forced to do anything they don't like.

I'm sure some women would find me sexually revolting - lesbians for example. So? Must they also be forced to like me in *that* way? Why?

Anyone who believes that Obsidian "caved" to some sort of external pressure on this needs to go have an epiphany or two.

1. The limerick is clearly, unambiguously offensive.  Not only does it suggest that sleeping with a man is an act so disgusting that someone would commit suicide afterwards, it also promotes a stereotype that the transgendered pretend to be cisgendered in order to sleep with cisgendered people.

2. I understand how such a poem can seem innocuous.  Most of us have heard similar (and much, much worse) jokes before, many, many times.  A similar joke even appeared on HBO's Entourage several years ago.  What's the big deal?  Well, the big deal is that most of us aren't really conditioned to notice the deeper implications of these jokes.  I wasn't until fairly recently.  But if you're a transgendered person, the world is already full enough of jokes, comments, assumptions and outright vitriol that all say "You are not welcome here."

3. What do I mean "You are not welcome here?"  Can't anyone who is offended by the poem just ignore it and enjoy the rest of the game?  Ideally, yes.  But probably no, the game would be tainted.  I bet every person reading this can think of at least one thing they really liked which was ruined when the discovered something upsetting about its creator.  And by leaving the poem in, Obsidian would have been implicitly endorsing the sentiment of it.

4. The most likely explanation for what happened here is exactly what Obsidian have said.  When you're working on a project as enormous as PoE, is it that hard to believe that a handful of things slipped through the cracks?  This patch also fixed a major bug that slipped through the cracks, and yet nobody is suggesting that Obsidian released the game like that because they'd already vetted that bug and decided it was okay, until someone on the internet kicked up a fuss about it.  The most likely explanation is that Obsidian were already a company who wouldn't want to say something like what was said in that limerick, and would have changed it before release - if it hadn't slipped through the cracks.

5. As a general rule of thumb: if a joke appeared on Entourage, it was probably lame, cheap, mean-spirited, and offensive.

I will go out on a limb here and claim that YOU are the one who needs an epiphany or two. You sweep into this thread, probably before even bothering to read through in defense of the poor folks that get OFFENDED and triggered by jokes.

That some great proof you have there. A joke being bad or you not liking a joke does not making it offensive. You pretending that it is a fact, again, does not make it so. In fact, if you actually read through this thread you would have seen the majority of posters are baffled at how much of a sensitive special snowflake you have to be to be offended by it.

Not only does it suggest that sleeping with a man is an act so disgusting that someone would commit suicide afterwards

Clearly we also need to examine jokes about chickens crossing the streets, those are chock-full of animal abuse! But seriously, stop being silly. I know that Social Justice Warriors love to read A LOT into harmless things but you are just being silly now.

that the transgendered pretend to be cisgendered in order to sleep with cisgendered people.

What kind of stereotype is promoted if the very person offended by that tweets to kill all men repeatedly?  Would you agree with me to call this person a bigot? Or will you just shrug it off claiming that the anecdotal evidence we have for the offended person in question to be a nut-job can be ignored?

Which on the other hand would make you a hypocrite. Wow, how is that for an epiphany, bro?

Well, the big deal is that most of us aren't really conditioned to notice the deeper implications of these jokes

So people making any kind of politically incorrect joke turns them into sexist bigot rapists? Maybe there are not "deeper implications". Maybe for people a joke is just a joke, not a sociopolitical statement. But of course that is impossible because for the SocJust-Cult everything has to be political so they can safely feel believe that everything and everyone is out to get them.

Sure wish I had some sort of Grey Eminence like the Patriarchy to blame for all the poor decisions I made in my life! Its not me being dumb its THE MAN holding me back guys, I swear!

But probably no, the game would be tainted.  I bet every person reading this can think of at least one thing they really liked which was ruined when the discovered something upsetting about its creator.

Actually no. Because that's not how any sane person would behave.

Now I know my completely radical ideas may blow your mind, but bear with me:

Just because you like the books of this or that writer, doesn't mean that you have to 100% agree with their political views.

Just because you like this or that actor, doesn't mean you have to vote for the same party, wear the same clothes as him or listen to the same music he likes.

Heck, I probably have a completely different views on politics than most of the Obsidian Devs. Doesn't make me enjoy their writing and the games any less. And why I am salty that they gave in to outrage culture if won't stop me from buying their games in the future, or liking all those Obsidian/Black Isle/Interplay games I already played.

How god damn self-righteous do you have to be to condemn this or that as "tainted" because they have a different political opinion than you?

There is a very interesting book that was written by an American author Todd Strasser called "The Wave". I recommend it as a reading material to you, who are so quick to judge people on their personal beliefs while fighting for Social Justice. You actually might experience an epiphany or two while reading it.

As a general rule of thumb: If you think that being offended is some sort of argument to remove or change content in games, books or movies you should first take good look at yourself and ponder if it doesn't reveal more about your issues with yourself. 

• Like 4