Update 93: Patch 1.03 - Important Community Fixes

An ad for a website on a memorial does strike the right tone?

So report it. Whatever you think of this whole episode, it seems pretty obvious that the memorials weren't properly vetted

Edited by Andrew_C

The fixes look great.

Unfortunately, breaking the ability for AH adventurers to pick locks means I can't load it or I'll wreck my game. I hope you can patch that very quickly!

Edit: Done already? Great :thumbsup:

Edited by grumbold99

Guys, on my main game I had this bug where Battle Forge ( the pasive from Fire Godlike race) stacked everytime my toon got under 50% hp without limits resulting on having absurd amounts of deflection.

Thing is bug is apparently fixed but it isnt on my saved game when patch notes says its retroactive. Any thoughts on how I can fix this?

First and foremost, thank you for the patch. I'm really enjoying the game. 

About the censorship, sorry if I'm late to the party, I am disappointed as one of the main reasons why I backed this game was someone talking about being able to have mature content in the game without any worry from unnecessary censorship from the publishers. I believe it was Chris Avellone in the Kick Starter video?

Also, I just received my box of swag, got all my t-shirts etc... and while I'm extremely grateful, I am still disappointed that my special edition box does not have the disc in it... I wanted to keep it unopened. I don't think my disc is in the box... 

Despite these disappointments I am still happy with the outcome and the game. I hope Obsidian learns from these mistakes and makes better decisions in the future. I am still a loyal supporter and only speak highly of the company and Pillars of Eternity.

Again, thanks for putting out a patch so quickly.

• Like 3

I can't hold back, so I'll just say:

1) The backer in question agreed to change his/her contribution.

2) Those of you talking about "caving to SJWs" seem to be under the impression that Obsidian doesn't share their opinion in the first place. It's not "censorship" if Obsidian didn't want something in the game in the first place.

3) Casually mocking transgendered people in a boring, commonplace way is absolutely problematic. The mature themes of the game are not boring or commonplace, and therefore are important to preserve for that reason.

Edited by suejak
  • Like 3

2) Those of you talking about "caving to SJWs" seem to be under the impression that Obsidian doesn't share their opinion in the first place. It's not "censorship" if Obsidian didn't want something in the game in the first place.

3) Casually mocking transgendered people in a boring, commonplace way is absolutely problematic. The mature themes of the game are not boring or commonplace, and therefore are important to preserve for that reason.

1) Should have never been asked in the first place.

2) That's what it is. You contradicted yourself with this because it was in the game originally thus indicating that Obsidian was fine with it and only changed it after the fake outrage.

3) Debating isn't mocking. If someone has a different idea of what is acceptable when it comes to censorship like this it doesn't mean that they're personally attacking or mocking them. Their views maybe, but not their lifestyle or gender choice. Sorry that you misinterpreted it that way.

• Like 6

2) That's what it is. You contradicted yourself with this because it was in the game originally thus indicating that Obsidian was fine with it and only changed it after the fake outrage.

3) Sorry, I misread your third thing. You're still taking the stance that the stone by Firedorn was a mockery of transgendered people? You got that from the context you were given did you? You're wrong. Firedorn himself even says that it wasn't in reference to transgendered.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what this whole backer-content deal is about (although I have a queasy feeling it may have something to do with the recent plague in the Western gaming industry known as SJWs, and the politicization of our last free art form) but I just hope that Obsidian doesn't make me regret paying for the Royal Edition.

Also, Mac patch when! Still waiting on Gog  :disguise:

Edited by Kraxis
  • Like 3

Caving to SJW is sad. I had Pillars on my steam wishlist but now it isn't until this is reversed which will probably be never. Is it petty for me not to buy your game because of this? Sure. There are many other game companies who won't cave to the people looking to be offended.

I agree with you, Obsidian are wimps for doing this (asking Firedorn to change it) and I will never look at them the same way again... Plus blatant PR spins by Feargus (which I worshipped as a Deity during my youth) insult my intelligence as a consumer. But the new joke is even better lol (it makes fun of the twitter crowd) and there is even a mod on nexus which brings the old text back :)

BTW Do you think InXile's Brian Fargo would do the same as Obsidian ? :D

Edited by Luj1
  • Like 2

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

Exactly. This way, its perceived the same as if Obsidian themselves removed it.... which sets a compromising precedent.

• Like 2

~ Kaine

You jumped the shark, Obsidian. You censored your own game at the whims of an internet lynchmob, led by an individual who had repeatedly called for killing all men. 

I'm extremely disappointed. 

This. Loved their work so far, but bending over once to something like this paints a rather terrible future. Good luck trying to keep everyone, even any psycho out there, from feeling offended about anything you do, while I'm going to skeptically wait and see what will be left in your future works.

• Like 3

Hi,

I just installed the patch, but this point doesn't seems to be ingame:

• Modified attributes of companions and Itumaak.

My companions' atributes looks the same before the patch, at least Edér, Durance, Aloth and Kana Rua attributes.

I'm using GOG version, but in Steam are happening as well.

o/

Did you start a new game? Because sadly the changes to the attributes only work if you start a new game. 

Well... That's rubbish :(

https://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?app=core&module=global&section=comments&parentId=179&fromApp=blog-entries&do=findComment&comment_id=1484

"They asked me if I wanted to change in light of what happened," explained the author, 'Firedorn'.

"I chose to change it so that they can concentrate on the game instead of this PR nightmare. They weren't going to change it, they asked ME if I wanted to. I can find another platform to write my controversial crap, and I will."

• Like 4

Exactly. This way, its perceived the same as if Obsidian themselves removed it.... which sets a compromising precedent.

No, it doesn't. It's just a game creator curating his own creation. It's as simple as that.

Make your own game if you want to implement your own topics into it. Being a "backer" is not enough.

Edited by LordCrash
  • Like 1
35167v4.jpg

No, it doesn't.

If it doesn't , then why are there even more whiners on twitter demanding more changes now ? Now they don't like killing kids or hanging women etc.

It would have never happened if just Obsidian had let the initial twitter controversy (stirred by 1 person and several of his followers) blow over.

EDIT: and meanwhile focus on balancing spells/classes and fixing bugs

EDIT 2: and he wasn't curating nada, they asked him to changed, he said himself he would've preferred the first text.

Edited by Luj1
  • Like 5

~ Kaine

Does anyone else spot the irony in some people reacting to Obsidian caving in to people who are too easily offended by irrelevant things by announcing they'll never buy an Obsidian game again until Obsidian changes back a few lines of text? Seriously, how are some of you any better than the SJWs you're whining about? 

Edited by Death Machine Miyagi
  • Like 1

If it doesn't , then why are there even more whiners on twitter demanding more changes now ? Now they don't like killing kids or hanging women etc.

It would have never happened if just Obsidian had let the initial twitter controversy (stirred by 1 person and several of his followers) blow over.

These same people would be now whining in chorus with the #killallmen chick had they not changed that joke. Some people really don't need a reason to whine, ***** and moan. They will do it no matter what, because that's just how they are. Easily offended and with no sense of humor. Do you really think people who like to rage on ******ing twitter of all the things in the world really care if Obsidian actually changed the joke or not? They would do it no matter what, to make themselves feel a bit better about themselves and gain some Twitter followers to brag about.

I seriously doubt Obsidian would change hanged women and babies getting killed, that's part of the game's mature theme. Stupid limerick about a foolish man wasn't.

Hate the living, love the dead.

I am disappointed in you caving into a twitter lynch mob and censoring yourselves. Also this patch has broken my custom character from lock-picking anything. 

There is a hotfix for that.

Hate the living, love the dead.