Update 93: Patch 1.03 - Important Community Fixes

If you really need to have the limerick restored, there's a mod on the nexus that does just that.  

Goes both ways.

I wasn't offended by the limerick. But when someone else said they were, I thought to myself "Oh, they're offended. I personally am not, but I can't discount their personal views on the subject. So the poem in question should probably be changed." I'm a member of the majority who joins with the minority to make the change happen without having any personal stake. There are a lot of us, we just don't tend to be as loudmouthed as the regressives/reactionaries.

And actually minorities get rights all the time in democracies? Gay folks make up ten percent of the population but Indiana is facing nationwide boycotts over recent legislation. The US Supreme Court has made a number of rulings re: minority rights, even when a majority opposed what they did, which is how you got integrated schools and interracial marriage in the US thirty to forty years before it had popular approval.

And you know who has the right to censor what's in Obsidian's video game? Obsidian. And they did. You lose. Neener neener.

You're contradicting yourself again with reality. You made the boss analogy, I simply enlightened you as to how it was wrong.

If you change something said in jest because it's "offensive", where does it end? Who decides what is okay and what isn't? You? If so, why are you suddenly speaking for me and in effect taking away my liberties of reading the joke. Why do I, as an adult, need another adult to run in front of me waving their hands telling me that what I'm about to read or watch is so offensive that I'm not allowed to even judge it for myself? That's what you're doing and advocating right now.

The infantilization of the LGB and transgendered community in particular is disgusting to me. Why are you treating them like children who don't have the common sense to just, skip past reading something that offends them? Why do they need you to defend them when they aren't asking for it, and frankly, don't need it.

Obsidian decides because it's their game.

And yes, different types of content are held to different standards. This is not controversial.

Edit: And you don't have a "right" to read or watch anything. Obsidian can produce whatever content they desire and decided that this content was not appropriate for their game. They didn't take away your right to read it, and insisting they keep it tramples on THEIR rights to decide what is in their game,

Your rights end where they intrude on the rights of another.

This is your third contradiction, so technically, you're out. You can keep going if you want though.

Obsidian did decide. It was in the original game. It wasn't removed until the fake PC hate pandering victimized ragestorm on Twitter, that you self-admittedly are directly contributing to, made it something it wasn't. Obsidian did produce what they desired, and they forced to change it by people like you who feel that your being offended outweighs every other person's right to even BE offended if they so choose wish. You've taken that ability from people to decide for themselves. I know that you're having trouble comprehending this but how isn't that considered the definition of censorship?

Obsidian just said, in a post from their CEO today, that they were unhappy with the content and asked the backer to change it. So if you're accusing them of lying, more power to ya.

And let's say, for the sake of argument, that they liked it at first but changed their mind when they were criticized. That's still Obsidian making the decision.

And I have a hard time calling it censorship unless Obsidian's hand was forced, and I see no evidence of that. They seemed to take the criticism to heart immediately and took steps to correct the issue with their very first patch.

Edit: And none of you are in a position to say what her motivations were for complaining. And it hardly matters either way, since there appear to be plenty of people who agree with her regardless. And if she really was looking for attention and this bothers you, I'm sure she's really hurting now that a bunch of nerds decided to go to war over the issue.

You're wrong and here's why. A business, who was practically bankrupt and brought out of the fires by Kickstarter, being threatened with financial ramifications because of a joke in their game leaves them little recourse except to censor the joke in question. They had a choice, and that choice was summarily taken from them by people like you. Her motivations are easily deciphered from her twitter posts, this is the person you're defending.

2k5C7dV.png

• Like 6

All in all, there's 2 things i commend in this patch:

- Bugs fixed

- Firedorn for being smarter than the people that wanted to crucify him, Obsidian and everyone in support of both of them. The new joke works wonders on the situation.

I still think the removal was dumb and the epitaph changing right will eventually be requested by more people, since the reason for the change was arbitrary and people would be right to think that the way it was handled was unusual and the right was given in a kinda arbitrary way.

And yeah, i am a "new user" on the forum, but i can print some proofs i backed the game if you don't want to take my word seriously because of my post count.

You know you got forum badges, right? :yes:

I got excited when I heard the joke was replaced. then I saw what replaced it.

A straight up mocking of the trans women, including myself, who were upset about the joke.

Obsidian, your vetting process sucks. You almost got another purchase out of me but I guess not. Instead I'm just very disappointed.

Answer me this, my child: why would you buy a second copy of the game if you already own it? If it's to "show support" it doesn't work and inflates the game sales cound without increasing the number of players, it if is for a friend, why not let your friend DECIDE if (s)he wants the game or not based on the game and not if you liked how it already removed the content you wanted removed?

• Like 1

I wonder how many people, who're super outraged by this piece of censorship are actually as active in the fight against censorship in general and in their everyday life.
Because their struggle against that problem can't possibly limited to an RPG or the internet. That would be just sad then. Or trolling.

Hmmm ... lot s of noises for nothing ... No offense, but as one voice over would have said : " You must gather your neurones before venturing forth" ...  -_-

before venturing forth...you must gather your party before venturing forth...you must gather your party before venturing forth...you must gather your party before venturing forth ... you must gather your party 

I wonder how many people, who're super outraged by this piece of censorship are actually as active in the fight against censorship in general and in their everyday life.

Because their struggle against that problem can't possibly limited to an RPG or the internet. That would be just sad then. Or trolling.

Being adamantly set against censorship goes with my profession, thank you very much.

Edited by ChipMHazard
  • Like 5

didn't knew if the badges appeared befoe the 5 post aproval.

that being said, even if i wasn't a backer i'd only have the gall of complaining straight about the game in a topic dedicated to the game itself in the developer's forum if i actually bought the game and it brought something different from what's promised or some big annoyance (normally bugs or DLC pratices). I'd also be only expected to be heard when asking for a change if either i already bought the game OR if i commit myself to buy it if what i want changed got changed.

Can't guarantee people who started this mess would put money where their mouth is. 

Edited by Tigranes
language filter
  • Like 4

I live in a country that was plagyed with dictactorship regimes until 1989, i already had to take the effects of a tear gass bomb in a public manifestation (don't recommend it to anyone, but do recommend having some clean cloth and vinegar in your backpack if you're going to the streets to fight for what's right), and today i'm openly against a creepy movement of religious fanatics creating a lobby and even a personal mob/army and twisting the government to pass laws against homossexuals and glorifying christians while forgetting all other religions

thanks for asking.

• Like 5

When I was young we were taught:

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me"

Do they not teach this anymore? People offended by a limerick need to go to the hardware store, buy a bag of cement and harden the  #@*! up.

When will something else be deemed to be offensive to the perpetually offended?

• Like 4

Why the hell is everyone complaining about a stupid line of text and its inclusion of lack of inclucsion. Children all of you. Can we actually talk about the patch ? Can we talk about the borked XP  ? can someone tell me when the patch will launch on GoG ? 

Nope. Bunch of kids whining is what we get.

• Like 1

With caving in to those that want to censor games and sterlise them you've lost a customer.

Let me make this clear I have been playing your games since baldurs gate first came out and this is the last game I will ever get from you guys.

These people don't care about games or the gaming industry, all they care about is pushing their views onto others and censoring and sliencing those that oppose them.

• Like 1

I'm glad the guy who made the joke wasn't forced to change it, and that he got to take a shot at the phony outrage manufacturers, but neverthless Obsidian's evasions here are just sad. The whole bit about the joke being removed because it wasn't "vetted" is just an insult to every thinking person's intelligence. We all know that there would never have been any reason to remove it if a certain self-loathing blue-haired nutjob with a hair-trigger offense mechanism and an over-active imagination hadn't decided to pretend to see "transphobia" in it and have a Twitter freakout session. And while it's good that the poet was consulted and not coerced, there was no reason to dignify the mewlings of a few fringe outrage merchants with attention in the first place. It simply encourages such people, and makes life harder for other developers by doing so.

I also can't help but notice that none of the people "defending" Obsidian's decision are actually defending it. The only responses anyone has made in this thread to the point that this opens the door to anything that offends some fanatic being changed at their demand is that THIS particular case is "no big deal" because the joke was "bad" anyway, where "bad" turns out to mean nothing more than that it offends them or people they sympathize with, or that they personally didn't find it amusing - which rather makes the point rather than rebuts it (and as if the joke were removed for being "bad" rather that offending a loudmouth looking to be offended anyhow).

And in response to the point that the hypersensitive dude pretending to be "offended" is himself a self-loathing, man-hating rageaholic who spouts off about killing all men (or at least heterosexual Caucasian ones not on hormone replacement therapy) with some frequency, the only response has been that their very real man-hating is not a big deal and no reason for marginalization, whereas the the completely imaginary "transphobia" of the poem is. And again, the only "justification" for this is that the people saying it are fellow travelers with the same nutcase's hypocritical ideology and aren't personally bothered by the inconsistency - which again makes the point rather than rebuts it.

• Like 5

Can we actually talk about the patch ?

That's ironic.

The developers (and Josh especially) thought indulging one freak on twitter was more important than fixing bugs i.e. losing energy and time on this nonsense (seeing how they couldn't simply edit the line due to game coding, but needed to replace it)

Edited by Luj1
  • Like 6

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

I like cats with hats. Quick patches for the game is even better, great job.

• Like 1

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

So whom do I contact at Obsidian about getting a refund of my KS pldge? I can't back a company that gives into a vocal minority about their content, especially when Obsidian themselves have created content in games like fallout new vegas with an NCR soldier (I think) joking about how the legion's troops like to have sex with other men just as much as they like to have sex with women.

• Like 2

When I was young we were taught:

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me"

Do they not teach this anymore? People offended by a limerick need to go to the hardware store, buy a bag of cement and harden the  #@*! up.

When will something else be deemed to be offensive to the perpetually offended?

You do realise that scientific study has proven this saying to be woefully inaccurate right ? Words are a powerful thing. They do lasting damage. Largely when someone resorts to hurting someone else with 'sticks and stones' it is after words have hurt them. 

So hopefully no one ever gets taught this this silly misleading rhyme ever again.

Can we actually talk about the patch ?

That's ironic.

The developers (and Josh especially) thought indulging one freak on twitter was more important than fixing bugs i.e. losing energy and time on this nonsense (seeing how they couldn't simply edit the line due to game coding, but needed to replace it)

If you think editing this line or replacing it or whatever it is they did actually took away from the patching then you have no idea. I may not understand the technical side of game development much more than the average chimpanzee but I do understand devotion. Even though I am actually pretty let down by the final release of the game (due to the borked XP and lack of difficulty on hard) I do not FOR ONE SECOND think that Obsidian are just lazing around not giving a crap about the bugs. I would bet my mouse hand these buggers are doing everything they can to fix as much as they can as quickly as they can. /cast putthetrollbackintothecave.

• Like 1