Update 93: Patch 1.03 - Important Community Fixes

"Once it was brought to our attention, it followed the same vetting process as all of our other content. Prior to release, we worked with many of our backers to iterate on content they asked to be put into the game that didn't strike the right tone."

So this means that said poem didn't get screened before release, okay... Are we going to be seeing more changes being made to backer content that wasn't checked before release as well or was this really the only one?

What tone are you referring to exactly?

If we happened to miss content, then yes, we will change it if we feel it is necessary.

Like Feargus mentioned in the update, we worked with many backers to revise their content for myriad reasons.

This is an obvious lie though. You changed it because you were pressured by a minority group on Twitter lol. You've alienated the people who saved your company from oblivion by backing this game on Kickstarter to appease the rampant SJW movement demanding anything they find offensive to be censored. The fact that you're lying about it now is even more disgusting and disrespectful. Be honest about it.

I'm not alienated. I <3 you Brandon. You made a great game and you're a very responsive, considerate developer. Keep up the good work!

• Like 2

Hi,

Well... while cats in hats is great and all, I still have that 32 bit transition bug that breaks the game. I simply can't get into the very first town as it keeps crashing to desktop. I hope you're working on fixing this issue?

Thanks,

--Corgano

I just hope and trust guys. I trust in your choices and hope that it was for the best, even if not seems to. Because the people that does this kind of clever game dont just fall in the kind of trap that this media is today.

• Like 1

Note: We currently have an issue with adventurer hall-created companions not being able to lockpick on old saves. We are looking to hotfix it, but if you feel this will affect you, you may want to wait on the hotfix.

Everything else didn't really bother me so far, but this actually does ... :banghead:

• Like 1

This is an obvious lie though. You changed it because you were pressured by a minority group on Twitter lol. You've alienated the people who saved your company from oblivion by backing this game on Kickstarter to appease the rampant SJW movement demanding anything they find offensive to be censored. The fact that you're lying about it now is even more disgusting and disrespectful. Be honest about it.

"So this is how liberty dies, to thunderous applause" has never been more relevant.

Oh god, why did I read this horrible thread? It's nothing but gamergaters and people trying to defend a dumb limerick as artistic integrity.

Are you actually serious? This doesn't at all represent me. My goal in backing this project was not "I want a studio I love to make something that offends SJWs".

And that quote. Jesus Christ man, that quote. You know if the limerick referred to laser guns and sci fi stuff you'd have no problem with it being changed, but the moment someone gets offended, it's the death of liberty to actually listen to them.

This entire situation is still messed up though - who is the change for? It's not for the GGers because apparently the most important thing to them is that this game contains content that offends minorities. It's not for the people who were actually offended because it's obviously a dig against them.

Third time's the charm, right?

Edited by Pyradox
  • Like 1

We released this patch earlier today on Steam. You can start downloading it by quiting out of your Steam client and starting Steam up again. The patch should download at that point. For those of you that have Origin and GOG, we are working with them to patch their platforms as soon as possible. We are hoping for all platforms to be up-to-date within a few days.

This is really disappointing. I chose GOG over Steam as a gut reaction - while I love Steam, any DRM is obstructive, so why not go DRM-free. Had I known that this version of the game wouldn't receive the same support priority as Steam, I simply would have chosen Steam. I think I know why this wouldn't be well-communicated beforehand, but you've left me remorsefully wishing I had redeemed a different version of the game. I know in the grand scheme of things, it's not a major impact. Only 10 hours in, and I already love this game. But this still leaves me feeling disadvantaged. It's a bummer.

Any news on improving patch roll-outs in the future to all platforms simultaneously? Barring that; if Steam will always be treated preferentially, is it not unreasonable to request to transfer my purchase over to that platform? I know that's a troublesome request that's easier to dismiss than fulfill, but what's a fair option, here?

They literally cannot release patches to GOG simultaneously because of how GOG works. They would have to hold back the ready patch from Steam users while GOG does whatever testing they do on their end, which would be silly and difficult to time accurately.

Really this is a complaint you should take up with GOG; Obsidian doesn't have control over their testing/patching framework.

Yes it entirely possible that they just didn't catch it before release, but here's the thing... There is plenty of offensive content in the game: Rape, abortion, lynching etc. So where does the line go? That's what I want to know. Since their game is adult themed it seems like a very odd place to draw said line, which is also why I'm not convinced that this was done willingly to live up to their own standards.

The line is where the content is made by Obsidian and contains whatever context they deem appropriate. The fact that there is plenty of possibly offensive context in the game is precisely why those complaining about precedents and SJW and Obsidian giving up their artistic integrity are making a mountain out of a molehill. Obsidian changed this because they didn't write it and they didn't feel like defending a joke they didn't make. It's not the themes or the potential controversy that made them change it, but that it wasn't a conscious decision by Obsidian to put it there in the first place. I'm sure they would have removed a similar limerick about someone jumping off a cliff after being raped, but would not remove the current content dealing with rape in the game.

Which would mean that any backer content could be changed because of social outcry? Unless we believe that said joke simply slipped through the cracks and would have been changed if it had been noticed by someone other than the person whom wrote it into the game. 

You're correct that they haven't changed any other offensive content up to this point. My argument being, what if someone starts pressuring them to do so? Will they refuse to change actual content that would take more effort than simply rewriting some text? Will future content be written with this example in mind i.e. Will Obsidian start wondering more about what is socially acceptable and will they cut content in accordance with that? 

Obviously this is entirely a "what if?" scenario. I would very much like further clarification on what exactly the tone of the game is and what consistency we can expect from Obsidian when it comes to this. 

• Like 2

"So this is how liberty dies, to thunderous applause" has never been more relevant.

Oh god, why did I read this horrible thread? It's nothing but gamergaters and people trying to defend a dumb limerick as artistic integrity.

Are you actually serious? This doesn't at all represent me. My goal in backing this project was not "I want a studio I love to make something that offends SJWs".

And that quote. Jesus Christ man, that quote. You know if the limerick referred to laser guns and sci fi stuff you'd have no problem with it being changed, but the moment someone gets offended, it's the death of liberty to actually listen to them.

This entire situation is still messed up though - who is the change for? It's not for the GGers because apparently the most important thing to them is that this game contains content that offends minorities. It's not for the people who were actually offended because it's obviously a dig against them.

YPUNSLU.png

• Like 6

While I enjoy the new poem as well, I do not think the old one should have been removed. I read it and had a far different interpretation than that wicht of a Twitter woman. Hollowborn is what she is. Both poems should be in the game.

Good job on the other parts in the patch though, I look forward to future improvements to this beauty of a game!

• Like 3

YPUNSLU.png

I also bought Pillars of Eternity and support what Obsidian did.

You aren't special because you bought a video game.

I'm not in the pic of backers who made Pillars possible.

Muh feels. :C

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I'm pretty disappointed that Obsidian gave up ground to the internet outrage machine. The limerick was not discriminatory, and the backer should not have been pressured to change it. It's not a huge deal and I get and appreciate that they worked with the backer to come up with something new, but backing down just shows these people that malicious shaming campaigns and intentional misrepresentations of content are a viable way to spread their message of "acceptance".

• Like 6

Maybe I missed something but if the original content has been replaced by this, then this is not censoship at all you people need to read it again. In fact it is more a joke on those who asked for the "offensive" content to be removed. The way I see it the new poem means: "some hysterical people violently asked for a poem wrote as a simple jest to be removed, now because of them the poet is dead".

Edited by Kimuji
  • Like 1

Decent resolution. Good job. Good patch too.

Funny to see all the internet outrage pressuring Obsidian complaining about internet outrage pressuring Obsidian. People's lack of empathy and perspective doesn't really surprise me anymore, but I do find it sad that there's apparently so many of them on these forums.

Someone could always make a mod to put the poem back in, take a screenshot of it, and send it to the person who complained.    :p

Or you could not be a raging ****.

Edited by ImRhoven
  • Like 2

Maybe I missed something but if the original content has been replaced by this, then this is not censoship at all you people need to read it again. In fact it is more a joke on those who asked for the "offensive" content to be removed. The way I see it the new poem means: "some hysterical people violently asked for a poem wrote as a simple jest to be removed, now because of them the poet is dead".

And yet the *effect* of the censorship is done: the "offensive" part is gone.

Do you know how they did it in communist Poland? They removed content, left blank space corresponding to the amount of text removed, and in the middle it wrote: "Removed in accordance of Law Number 12345678" (and the paragraph in question). So what is different here? That a new joke masks the content that is now *gone* from the piece of art?

• Like 4

You jumped the shark, Obsidian. You censored your own game at the whims of an internet lynchmob, led by an individual who had repeatedly called for killing all men. 

I'm extremely disappointed. 

+1

I'm not buying that thing about "no prior vetting" one single bit. Nice try though.

• Like 4

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

CBW3V0iWcAAWeVy.jpg

PERSON NOW BRAGGING ON TWITTER ABOUT OBSIDIAN YIELDING TO HIM.   NICE JOB OBSIDIAN AND JOSH ( I SAID JOSH SAWYER BECAUSE THE PERSON THANKED HIM PERSONALLY ON TWITTER FOR LISTENING TO HIM)

ALSO IM NOT BUYING THIS " NO PRIOR VOTING" RUSE ONE BIT. FEARGUS I ADORE YOUR GAMES SINCE I WAS A KID, DONT INSULT MY INTELLIGENCE

Edited by Luj1
  • Like 13

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

Absolutely disgusting to see Obsidian cave in like this, and spitting in the faces of their backers in the process. The overwhelming majority was in favor of KEEPING IT, as you could see simply by checking the official forums or other places.

If I'm offended by wizards being in the game because mystical things are against my religion, will you also pull them from it?

The vocal population were present in that debate. I, for example, have an opinion regarding the issue, but chose not to share it. I highly doubt the forum objectively represents the 'overwhelming majority'.

In all honestly, the "overwhelming majority" doesn't give a **** about something like that.

I don't know what the fuzz is all about actually. A lot of noise about nothing imho. Nobody doesn't even care about other people's messages on these graves. If you ask me, they are all weird and not worth reading at all. The game would be better without them...

Edited by LordCrash
35167v4.jpg

YPUNSLU.png

You spelled "she" wrong. And last time I saw gators talk about Thompson they were saying how great a guy he really was. I know logically consistent arguments aren't gg's strong suit, but really.

Sincerely, a backer who made Pillars of Eternity possible. Unlike you mr. sockpuppet. 

All these new accounts wihtout backer status coming out of the woodworks suddenly trying to give extra weight to a ****ty position ... typical gg "tactics".

Edited by ImRhoven
  • Like 3

We released this patch earlier today on Steam. You can start downloading it by quiting out of your Steam client and starting Steam up again. The patch should download at that point. For those of you that have Origin and GOG, we are working with them to patch their platforms as soon as possible. We are hoping for all platforms to be up-to-date within a few days.

This is really disappointing. I chose GOG over Steam as a gut reaction - while I love Steam, any DRM is obstructive, so why not go DRM-free. Had I known that this version of the game wouldn't receive the same support priority as Steam, I simply would have chosen Steam. I think I know why this wouldn't be well-communicated beforehand, but you've left me remorsefully wishing I had redeemed a different version of the game. I know in the grand scheme of things, it's not a major impact. Only 10 hours in, and I already love this game. But this still leaves me feeling disadvantaged. It's a bummer.

Any news on improving patch roll-outs in the future to all platforms simultaneously? Barring that; if Steam will always be treated preferentially, is it not unreasonable to request to transfer my purchase over to that platform? I know that's a troublesome request that's easier to dismiss than fulfill, but what's a fair option, here?

The problem is on the end of GoG/Origin not Obsidian. They need to make a patcher over at GoG for you to download separately and Origin also preinspects any patch sent by the developer of their products. With Valve they receive the patch and release what is sent to them as soon as they can.

You chose the platform that uses the longest process so unfortuately you will have to wait for GoG to inspect and create their own patcher for you.

I also bought Pillars of Eternity and support what Obsidian did.

You aren't special because you bought a video game.

What you said is in direct contrast to reality.

"So one thing that, um, I really appreciate about Kickstarter is that its sorta given the game development community, um, more options in terms of what content it can produce. What sort of game ideas you can bring to the table, and the fact that it doesn't really have the publisher model involved but we're actually being financed directly by they players, who, we answer to anyway and I'd rather have them as the bosses. Um, that's sorta been a very new way of doing games that's been very, very exciting." - Chris Avellone, Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter video

• Like 3

Shame on you. You censored your own game because some attention seekers started screaming. I lost  all my respect  for you. As a backer i'm disappointed and angry. No more money from me. Next time go ask your SJW "friends" for money. Shame on you.

• Like 4