Unable to join Animancy hearing, 1.03 patch did not fix

PolyMorphVZ

Question

I had worked myself into a corner by doing quests for both the Dozen and the Knights and so neither would represent me at the Animancy hearing. Once the patch came out, I went around and talked to both the dozen and the knights and the dozen still tell me they won't help me because im a lackey of the knights. When it comes to the knights, I'm able to talk to their commander about the hearing, but my dialog option to request them represent me is just plain missing. I went and killed a few people at the dozen HQ, my journal entries show my ties are broken with the dozen and that other thieving faction, and i still can't actually ask the knights to represent me. I'm wondering if I'm going to have to kill some knights to break my ties with them as well to get lady Webb to represent me. It irks me very much to resort to murdering NPCs to get past this bug that was supposed to be fixed.

Also the limit of a single MB for an upload is a little ridiculous when one of my early saves is 2.5 and all the others are over 3MB. They also arent very compressible. I went ahead and downloaded Winzip proper and only got 5% compression from it. So no, I will not be uploading my save file, if your devs complain, tell them to direct their complains to the forums webmaster.

Also I'm unable to upload my output_log.txt with the message Upload Skipped (Error IO) It looks like my attempt at making this a half decent bug post went to ****.

25 answers to this question

I should have included this. House Doemenel also gives the same response when I do their quests, I'm too buddy buddy with another faction. And Lady Webb doesn't give me the option to go with her. I haven't yet attempted to kill members from the Knights yet because I really liked them. I really don't want murdering NPCs to be a workaround for something that should have been fixed.

Hey PolyMorphVZ,

Could you send me your save file? Would love to take a peak at your quests. 

- Lord Elerond is correct you can try House Doemenel out for an invite or my favorite way is to just waste all three of the houses and make Lady Webb take you. 

Well I signed up for Drop box just to do this.

This save should be me standing in front of whatever his name is in charge of the Knights. Ive killed off the first floor of the Doemenels, and killed a small group of Adventurers in the Adventuer Guild Hall and my journal shows I've broken my ties with both those groups.

I can ask him about the fact that the knights are attending the hearing, but not actually ask for him to represent me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4fmxft6vzvd07i/output_log.txt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iy79l6jvl97rmi2/6044696e6df04611aaa356a3b4cdaaa2%2013166191%20CrucibleKeep.savegame?dl=0

• Like 1

Same here. I think that 800MB Bug"fix" did nothing, just a waste of space and time.

-The Dozen still tells me that they don´t support a "lackey of the knights".
-The Knights told me once they don´t support a friend of the Dozen, now i can´t choose that dialoge option anymore.
-And Doemenel say they have to lay low or something like that.
-And Lady Webb doesn´t give me an option to join the hearing in her name.

Awesome, really awesome. They told us it will be fixed in 1.03, but surprise, it isn´t!!!

Thanks for putting the save game file on dropbox - I downloaded it and tested it.

Here's the skinny:

Since you've already attacked the Dozens and since you had worked for them in Bronze Beneath the Lake, Lady Webb will consider that as having burned the bridges with all three factions. She will get you in. I've loaded your save and talked to Webb. She correctly offers Dunryd Row's support to get you in the hearings.

Patch 1.03 addresses the issue of being able to get Bronze Beneath the Lake and Winds of Steel (they should be mutually exclusive) but a retroactive fix for games where the quests were both acquired/completed is slated for 1.04 instead.

I hope that helps! If there are any issues getting the invite from Lady Webb then, please, let me know and we'll take another look at that save game.

Thanks!

Jorge

• Like 1

Give up? Never 8)

Check my post above. I think you're good to go.

Jorge

Well sadly I'm in the "wait for patch 1.04" to release. How long are we waiting for this? My game is stuck and I cannot progress any further, its very frustrating.

I replied to the thread you posted about the issue you experienced.

Is it the case that you also acquired Winds of Steel from the CK, then?

Also, as I mentioned above, angering the Dozens, in the case you describe (or the C. Knights, if you've got Winds of Steel) will make Lady Webb give you access to the hearings.

But if you don't have Winds of Steel active/completed then, if you don't mind, I'd like to take a look at your save game to see what exactly went wrong.

Thanks!

Jorge

- Lord Elerond is correct you can try House Doemenel out for an invite or my favorite way is to just waste all three of the houses and make Lady Webb take you. 

I tried to figure out how to not have to deal with any of those guys and go with Lady Webb. Should've known wholesale slaughter was the way to go.

So what about those that are stuck here, and don´t want to massacre all factions???????

Since you weren't belligerent enough in your previous posts and also didn't use enough ! and ? you will have to wait.

If you can tune it up by 50% the devs will conjure up a patch just for you.

I don't have the patch yet (waiting on GoG) so I may as well ask now.

I have both quests but only completed Wings of Steel, I only accepted the Dozen quest (by accident to boot, heh).

Does this mean I'm trapped in the loop too? Or do I have to have completed both quests?

Edited by General_Disarray

I don't have the patch yet (waiting on GoG) so I may as well ask now.

I have both quests but only completed Wings of Steel, I only accepted the Dozen quest (by accident to boot, heh).

Does this mean I'm trapped in the loop too? Or do I have to have completed both quests?

There´s a 50/50 chance that you are stuck or not. A few ppl on steamforum told they made quests for all 3 factions, but could attend to the hearing with the help of the faction they had the better reputation.

Here's where I'm at:

- I slaughtered House Doemenel earlier because I was getting tired of their assassins

- I'm a Hero to the Knights and an Ally to the Dozens

- I've completed both initial quests for these factions, and accepted the 'Bronze Beneath the Lake' subquest

- Knights wouldn't let me continue in their questline because I had ties to the Dozens

- Knights won't let me attend the animancy hearings because I have ties to the Dozens

What are my options here, and will these change with the next patch? Ideally I'd like to join the hearings as part of the Knights.

Is there going to be a way to drop one of the second faction quests before completing it to enable us to accept a different factions second quest, maybe in 1.04?

I stupidly accepted Bronze Beneath the Lake but I really want to side with the Knights.

Sadly I became victim of this bug too..

During my first playthrough I realized when completing second quest for faction I won't be able to reach other faction merchants. But I didn't progress so far to find this bug.

So I started new game after 1.03 patch.

I did first quest for Dozens (and Bricanta Doemenel) and took first quest for Knights. Everything was going well and I enjoyed three merchants with exclusive gear. And then I took legendary second quest from Dozens.. (I could't get Winds of Steel from Knights after that but I realized it much later in game)

I didn't want to complete it but I wanted to do it and lose it in the end to gain support from Knights. But then I completly abandoned this main quest line for like 20+ hrs.

I came back yesterday most of my side stuff done. And obviously I can't get support from Knights even if I lose reputation with either Doemenel or Dozens.

I can either finish quest "Bronze Beneath the Lake" and have their support during hearing or kill them and have option do have support from Dunryd Row.

But I want to support Knights..

I hope you guys can fix it retroactively and I will be waiting..

Question for developers: Which save I should continue from now to have biggest chance to have it fixed in next patch? Like not completing Dozens quest (don't take weapons from crypt)? Or don't talk to Lady Webb about hearing yet?

Will this be actually patched in 1.04? Because I just checked patch notes and it is not there.

Edited by Entarion

I am experiencing a similar predicament to Entarion. 

When I first came to Defiance Bay a few hours in, I was picking up side quests and completing them as I went along. I never realized that I was locked in to the Dozens as soon as I accepted "Bronze Beneath the Lake". At the time I didn't really grasp that there was a faction conflict; all of the new lore in Defiance Bay was a bit overwhelming to me and it completely flew past me that I was locking in to a faction.

I later did all of the Knights quests, and intended to select them as my faction as soon as I heard about the hearings from Lady Webb.

Since I accepted the quest I've completed over a dozen hour's worth of content. I would really like to join the Knights in the hearings, though Clyver said I'm too close to the Dozens. So as an attempted fix I killed all of the Dozens, thus failing the quest.

Now I can't even talk to Clyver about joining him in the hearings, and since I attacked the Doemenels in Verano's quest, that leaves Webb as my only option.

Is there any way for me to join the Knights of the Crucible in the hearings? I'd rather not load back so long, or join Lady Webb. 

• Like 1

If you want to join the crucible knights and you are beeing rejected by clyver because of accepting the second quest of the dozens, you can just edit the conversation file accordingly :)

Open following file with editor or notepad:
\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\conversations\02_defiance_bay_first_fires\02_cv_clyver_rimgund.conversation

(Make a backup file at this point, just for safety if you screw it up)

Then search for: "n_MercenaryHire_State"
You will find two matches in the file looking like this

<Parameters>
<string>n_MercenaryHire_State</string>
<string>GreaterThan</string>
<string>0</string> 
</Parameters>

Change them both to this:

<Parameters>
<string>n_MercenaryHire_State</string>
<string>GreaterThan</string>
<string>1</string> 
</Parameters>

This will just increase clyvers limit for the variable indicating your progress of the dozens questline. 
(You can increase the limit probably even further if you take a higher number than 1...)

Not real clear that part of the game. I have no problem with killing everything in the game, but will it fix it if i go and depopulate the dozens and the knights i already killed doemenels since they are criminals and i am a paladin.

Should be more clear to begin with and should be reversible up to a point.

I cant even get in to meet lady webb.

• Like 1

i notice all the posts are old, but i finally made it to this point in the game and have had the SAME EXACT ISSUE!!! it's kind of a poor design choice.

i mean, up until Defiance Bay, the world map almost worked in a semi-linear fashion. quest "a" leads to "b" and then "c" and so on...

but then u get to DB, and there's 5 pretty large areas full of quests, i mean you go from having 5 to 10 total quests before u get here, to now receiving like 20, and we're supposed to know how detrimental accepting a quest from the dozens could be?? 

i wanted to back the crucible knights, and now they wont allow me. what makes it worse, i came to talk to clyver once i realized i had to ally myself w/ on of the three groups and since i had their support the highest rating "hero" i think i thought NO PROBLEM. i go there, he turns me down saying i am too friendly w/ the dozens, then i talk to him again and he says, "i wont help you until you talk to "Aranroed"???? i was like WHO TEH FOOK IS ARANROED!?!?!

i look it up and realize hes part of the "WINDS OF STEEL" quests that i DONT HAVE, NOR CAN I GET BECUASE it seems my save is all buggerred up!?!?!?

man it's a mess. its kinda ruined the possibility to enjoy the game now 50+ hours in.....

Quite strange you have encountered this bug. I thought this was fixed a long long time ago.

Anyway, I used solution described above by Powerpaul. It forces "WINDS OF STEEL" conversation to appear with Clyver. I was then able to get support of Crucible Knights at Hearing.