Call me a nitpicker, but this really breaks immersion for me (pseudo-Middle English)

Interesting take. I have to admit that this level of criticism is probably too technical for the vast majority of games, a huge chunk of whom don't count even standard American English as a primary language. Still, I did get a kick out of the photo. ...But I have to admit that I tend to skim the books rather than read them closely, so not a big deal for me personally.

• Like 5

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

'cant' is also an alternative version of 'chant', in addition to being a term for speaking in general.

'thine hands' does suggest a silent 'h'. some dialects do have this as the standard, and it's become the norm for a lot of words that didn't have it previously ('hero' for one)

sees/seeth and touches/toucheth do indeed appear to be errors.

Edited by waretaringo
  • Like 1

I actually think the example you've posted is really well done.

PoE is not historical fiction, but if it's comparable to any real-world past period, that period would probably be somewhere vaguely nineteenth century-ish, just going by the guns, clothing, transportation, artificial lighting in cities, etc etc.

That's much later than the period where actual Middle English would make sense -- Modern English is considered to begin around the fifteenth century.

What you DID have in later periods was specific religious groups using partly archaic language among themselves. The Quakers, for example, used the archaic "thee" -- but they used it incorrectly by the grammar of the periods when it was standard usage (For example, they would say both "Thee are beautiful" and "I love thee" where Shakesperean English would have "Thou art beautiful" and "I love thee")

This is a pretty good analogue to religious usage among the old-fashioned Eothasians.

Anyway, all of the linguistic references in PoE are altered from their real-world origins. Look at Pallegina's "Valilian" vocabulary -- it's Latin-ish, but not really Italian or Spanish or any other real Romance language. Her "aimico" obviously parallels "amico" or "amigo" but it's not a word that actually exists, for example.

• Like 11

DID YOU KNOW: *Missing String*

Shows that Eothasians are boorish. wink.png

I stumble over errors like these, too, but sadly, I'm not particularly upset about them; they've become too frequent, I fear. "Huh? Writer obviously didn't know what he was doing; let's move on."

Except when it's intentional, but this is even rarer.

Edit: Pallegina's Vailish is a recognisably different language. In this case, it's a set of very specific endings in a completely English poem. I doubt that that's on the same level.

But the explanation with the old-fashioned Eothasians is nice (and probably true).

Edited by Varana
  • Like 1

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

NITPICKER!!!!!!!

(Have you ever considered that maybe it's the people of Eora who have **** grammar?)

Edited by Tartantyco

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Didn't find the book in question. Only remember stumbling upon one instance of ME where the pronouns were used correctly and was pleasantly surprised that at least Obsidian writers had done their research. Apparently not all of them as it turns out.

Edited by vattghern
  • Like 1

My native language is not English, but I strive to write/speak correct British English whenever I communicate with others in this language, just to be respectful with the tongue I'm using, and because I like being correct. As such, I normally take "lessons" on medieval English from media sources like films or video-games, and personally I think what this text is doing here is a disservice to themselves and the English tongue in general.

Many people, like me, might be taking these texts as an example to add to their own knowledge, because it's fair to assume that an English-native staff actually knows how to spell their stuff, especially something that will be seen by everyone across the world. Then you find that this assumption was a wrong one, as the English-native world-wide released product is utilising English wrongly.

It's a minor thing, of course, but if I was in charge of the writing of those lore texts I'd be disappointed, or yelling at the guy that allowed for it to go through in that state.

• Like 1

You're a nitpicker!

And you're quite right, too, that is a funny error. I'd be tweaked by that for just a sec and get over it, but some folks should not respond like that or we'll never have any sort of order to this whole language thing.

• Like 1

Any chance that you're teaching my english class at Niels Brock Business School in Copenhagen? Sarah; Is that you??? 

As far as this Watcher remembers, I am not Sarah, nor am I female in this life. While an English teacher I may be, Copenhagen is not where I am at... in this instance of my soul ;)

• Like 3

See the attached screenshot with the contents of a book I found. Am I the only one whose gears are ground by this kind of ineptitude?

I'm probably one of the biggest proponents for correct grammar and the importance of it on this forum, however it's a game in a fictional world. Who is to that isn't grammatically correct in that world? Who is to say that even if it is grammatically incorrect for that world, that the fictional author of the book didn't fudge it up.

So what? Chalk it up to a grammatically inept monk, priest, historian, or whomever wrote the book, and move on. The contents of no in game book should break your immersion unless it's contents have real world references, references to something that doesn't belong in Eora (ie: book is schematics for the Death Star), or breaks the 4th wall in some manner.

See the attached screenshot with the contents of a book I found. Am I the only one whose gears are ground by this kind of ineptitude?

5udeBhE.jpg

It's written that way because there's a hidden code inside.

I don't want to spoil it for you, so I'll just leave it at that.

• Like 3

5udeBhE.jpg

It's written that way because there's a hidden code inside.

I don't want to spoil it for you, so I'll just leave it at that.

OMG I just unlocked Sheng Long!

• Like 1