Game BSODs on inventory screen

BLAM-O!

Question

As the title says, bringing up the inventory screen results in a BSOD for me. Here is a link to my previous thread:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73526-game-crashesblue-screens-on-inventory-screen/

Since then, I've updated my BIOS, uninstalled and reinstalled the game and my video drivers, messed with various other BIOS settings, and updated the game to the most recent patch. Unfortunately, the crash still happens. In kind of running out of ideas here, which is too bad because this game is amazing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

16 answers to this question

Are you running really hot by chance?  I remember WL2 had a similar issue for folks running on more marginal systems because the paper doll on the inventory screen increased resource usage substantially. 

Not saying that's the actual cause of your problem, but if you're desperate for a fix maybe something to look into. 

Are you running really hot by chance?  I remember WL2 had a similar issue for folks running on more marginal systems because the paper doll on the inventory screen increased resource usage substantially. 

Not saying that's the actual cause of your problem, but if you're desperate for a fix maybe something to look into. 

Good thought, but I don't believe that's the case. The crash happens all the time, whether my computer has been on for hours or if I've just booted it up in the evening. I just bought a new PSU, and the fan on it is working fine. My computer gets good ventilation, and I have a couple of "extra" fans installed. I even have one of those gigantic Zalman fans on my processor. The people I game with complain about how loud my fans are over Skype.  And again, I play a number of games that I would consider to be a bit more graphically intense than PoE, including MechWarrior Online and Heroes of the Storm. I've never had this issue in those games, or any other. 

In addition to the PSU being new, my video card is new as well (Radeon r280). Those two components are the most likely culprits behind BSODs when hardware is to blame, or so I've read, which makes me think that it's not an issue of faulty hardware.  

In addition to the PSU being new, my video card is new as well (Radeon r280). Those two components are the most likely culprits behind BSODs when hardware is to blame, or so I've read, which makes me think that it's not an issue of faulty hardware.  

BSODs can be a bit tricky.

My reccomendation is to get a BSOD viewing tool (e.g. Bluescreenview), which should help you to analyze the error dump. You may especially want to look at the error code and then look it up on the net. Sometimes this already points you into the right direction (e.g. faulty drivers or faulty memory).

If it's the drivers, good luck finding the right one. I once had BSODs due to installing some driver for some relatively minor component and only identified the cause because I remembered that the crashes only started around the time I had done the installation.

If it's probably memory, get e.g. memtest86+, which is also included in many Linux live-CDs and thoroughly test your memory (may take several hours).

Also log your temps while you are playing, just to make sure it's not overheating.

What about other games ? do they work fine for you ?

Also by any chance, is your GPU Gigabyte manufactured ?

I've never had a problem with any other game. My GPU is made by Asus, but my motherboard is a Gigabyte.

BSODs can be a bit tricky.

My reccomendation is to get a BSOD viewing tool (e.g. Bluescreenview), which should help you to analyze the error dump. You may especially want to look at the error code and then look it up on the net. Sometimes this already points you into the right direction (e.g. faulty drivers or faulty memory).

If it's the drivers, good luck finding the right one. I once had BSODs due to installing some driver for some relatively minor component and only identified the cause because I remembered that the crashes only started around the time I had done the installation.

If it's probably memory, get e.g. memtest86+, which is also included in many Linux live-CDs and thoroughly test your memory (may take several hours).

Also log your temps while you are playing, just to make sure it's not overheating.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot later tonight.

Alright, WhoCrashed gave me some good info:

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 4/3/2015 4:50:06 AM GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\040215-18688-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0xB848)

Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8010E6A4E0, 0xFFFFF88002CB1848, 0x0, 0xD)

Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys

product: AMD driver

company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver

Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).

Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Mon 3/30/2015 4:26:39 AM GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\032915-23774-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0xB848)

Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800CE41010, 0xFFFFF88004051848, 0x0, 0xD)

Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).

On Mon 3/30/2015 4:07:04 AM GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\032915-29952-01.dmp

Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA801098B2D0, 0xFFFFF88002C62848, 0x0, 0xD)

On Thu 1/29/2015 4:57:01 AM GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012815-15553-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x2311C)

Bugcheck code: 0xA0000001 (0x5, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)

Error: CUSTOM_ERROR

file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys

product: ATI Radeon Family

description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).

Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. CUSTOM_ERROR

I'll certainly try and Google a fix, but in the meantime, does anybody have a clue what to do with this?

Giving this thread a bump. I've tried a few more things and nothing helps. I ran a GPU test using FurMark, and my GPU capped out at 84 degrees and 50% fan usage. It's showing an idle temp of 37ish. I suppose that's maybe a little hot, but probably not enough to explain the BSODs, especially since they only happen for me in Pillars and only on the inventory screen.

Edited by BLAM-O!

That's not a pattern it's just one other person and BSODs are almost always a Hardware problem, software can't cause it, seems like something on your card is is at fault (or the psu doesn't have enough juice for it) if it's not the fan it could be faulty memory.

Edited by tet666

That's not a pattern it's just one other person and BSODs are almost always a Hardware problem, software can't cause it, seems like something on your card is is at fault (or the psu doesn't have enough juice for it) if it's not the fan it could be faulty memory.

True, pattern was likely not the right word. Anyway, from what I've been able to Google, it seems like it's more likely to be a driver issue than a hardware issue. I play a variety of other games, including Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, and Mechwarrior Online, none of which cause me any problems at all. I don't think that hardware would be the culprit since this issue only happens in one specific instance on one specific game. I could be wrong though.

I'm happy to report that I finally fixed the issue! I completely removed all of my video drivers, and then downloaded drivers directly from ASUS (my video card manufacturer). ASUS technical support told me that those drivers are outdated and that I would be better getting them from AMD, but given that I had already tried using the ones from AMD many times, I ignored technical support and did it anyway. I played all last night and had zero BSODs, or any other problems. 

If any developers read this and would like any more information on my system in order to try and fix whatever problem Pillars has with my particular combination of hardware and drivers, send me a PM and I'll be happy to help.