Steam won't patch the game

fluent

Question

You don't mention if you have tried Verifying integrity - if you havn't already tried it - in the steam client, right click on the game in your library list, select properties in the dropdown list then in the local files tab select Verify integrity of game cache. 

I tried to verify three times already. It verifies fine, but the version is still 1.02.58. No clue how to get this to work. I've restarted Steam several times, restarted my computer, nothing seems to help. 

I've tried to 'get' the patch on two computers now. The second computer had other Steam games in queue, but the Pillars patch didn't pop up. Tried everything I could on that computer that I did on this one and still nothing.

There are several other people claiming to have the same issues on the Steam forums (at least 3 threads that I saw); just hard to find them because of the limerick thread spam.

maybe try refreshing your steam files

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3134-TIAL-4638

otherwise, not sure what is up

Unfortunately that doesn't work. Here's what I posted on the Steam forums earlier:

Originally posted by Khalija:

I have tried:

• Restarting Steam
  • Reinstalling the game three times
  • Verifying integrity
  • Changing download servers
  • Restarted my computer a few times
  • Running Steam as Admin
  • Switching to offline mode and then switching back to online mode
  • Refreshing Steam files
  • Removing every file but ones with "Steam" in them, verifying and redownloading everything

I've also tried a fresh install on another computer; it had other game downloads in the queue but the Pillars patch never came up, nor has it yet. Both computers still have the 1.02.058 version of the game.

Fluent has tried the same things as I have.

Do review copies that were given a week early of release still have access to the patch?  :blink:

Well, I can tell you that mine is a review copy. We should still have access to patches - the codes gave full versions of the game and we even received the Day 1 patch that changed a few things. I had been wondering if this is the cause of my issues, but since we can't purchase the game in the Steam Store because we already own the game, I thought it was something else, especially since many people on the Steam forums have been complaining about download/patch issues.

I have a regular Kickstarter version of the game and am getting a similar issue, tried all the workarounds mentioned and the game simply won't update. I get a download window pop up which says "Ready to launch in approximately: 0 seconds" which eventually changes to "An error occurred while updating Pillars of Eternity (disk read error)". Any help at all would be appreciated, though I totally understand you guys probably can't do anything 'til next week anyways.

The patch won't even show up on my version, though. Steam just doesn't acknowledge that a patch exists for the game. And mine is a review copy as well, but I was under the impression that they have no restrictions. 

Can someone from Obsidian fix this? I am trying to write an article about this game for RPGWatch.com and I can't continue my game because of the game-breaking bugs in version 1.02. Yes, I'm playing a review copy, but I think we should still be getting access to updates all the same. Please let us know, it's been 2 days now and still can't play the patched version. Thanks!

I purchased the Champion Edition upgrade and it still won't patch. :(

Ahh, I was notified of your original message in email and thought the Champ edition would work so I bought it as well. I was confused because it didn't work for me at all and now I see that it didn't work for you, either. ;)

Bumping in case the dev team is in today. We, along with probably every other person with a review copy, is still stuck on version 1.0.2.0508! It seems our game wasn't flagged to receive any patch updates and we need your help!

Edited by Khalija

Sorry, Khalija, for the error! :( I posted that immediately when I saw a 1.3 GB update coming in for the game after I purchased the Champion edition, but later realized that was simply the Champion edition goodies downloading, not the patch. :blink:

Sorry, Khalija, for the error! :( I posted that immediately when I saw a 1.3 GB update coming in for the game after I purchased the Champion edition, but later realized that was simply the Champion edition goodies downloading, not the patch. :blink:

No worries! The game is amazing so I don't mind buying the upgrade one bit. Just wish they would fix our little problem. :)

something else to try

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7241-EYON-2343

not sure if deleting the bob file will do anything? or maybe try and delete most of the steam files apart from the steam exe and the common folder, that will force steam to download all the files, maybe steam is corrupted on your end?

otherwise, maybe try and contact steam?