Save files don't work

zupapl

Question

21 answers to this question

If you're using Steam, try right-clicking the game in your library and selecting "Verify Integrity of Game Cache". This will make sure you have all the game files and will do a quick check to make sure the file contents match what's on Steam's servers.

Sometimes things get out of whack when games patch on Steam, and this might fix it.

Hi Zupapl,

I have attempted multiple times to reproduce this issue with the save games you uploaded and I am unable to. Could you try reinstalling the game by deleting all local files and re-downloading? 

Thanks!

- Refer to this thread if you are having trouble finding any information I requested http://forums.obsidi...eport-an-issue/

Still, the game is unplayable.

I've actually managed to load the save (before re installation too) but it takes like 3-5 minutes, with game being unresponsive and Windows offering me to shut the program down.

Also a new thing, that I think may be connected - when I've tried to make a new character now, loading portraits took around 30 seconds (every time a changed one), also with Windows offering me to shut the game down.

I didn't have these problems before the update.

EDIT:
I think I might have the same issue as the user from this topic

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/75229-103-loadingsaving-time-so-long/

Edited by zupapl

Are you sure that this isn't something going on with your computer, rather than with the game?  Maybe another program running that is hogging resources, or a virus?  Maybe a hardware problem?  I suggest this because your problem seems to be getting worse but can't be replicated with your saved game.

Edit: It might be helpful if you provide your system specs, as indicated here: MUST READ: How to Report an Issue

Edited by Emptiness

Well, it worked fine before the update so I doubt it is my computers fault.

Lint to DxDiag

http://www.mediafire.com/view/v0qxbdcd9shhblg/DxDiag.txt

Hmm, if we look at it logically we could say:

... your save is working on other, different, computers so the savefile seems not broken - no issue with savegame

So what's left?

(a) it could be an issue with the game itself and its handling of your (obviously really old) hardware, or

(b) a suddenly appeared hard- or software issue within your pc

If it's (a) Obsidian must have changed something important inside the program code, not just content related things, like cpu-, memory- or device-handling. I don't know if this is a plausible scenario, only Obsidian know what they changed.

The second and more likely option is that something's going wrong with your pc. Your hardware is rather old, and perhaps it's also possible to suffer a sudden "injury" of such parts. Perhaps your harddrive has failures, or the ram controller won't work very stable, hard to say at distance. Because you are almost the only one who is hit by such an issue i would strongly recommend to check your hardware first even if you think everything goes right except with PoE. E.g. overheating issues 'cause of dusted fans etc. can also cause such problems.

My PC was cleaned recently from dust and other dirts, I've also changed the ventilator.

System is also almost fresh, maybe 2 months old.

The issue appeared after the update, so I don't think that it is my PC fault, also I'm meeting the requirements for the game.

And I'm not alone, look it up on steam community hub, there are other people with this problem.

EDIT:
I've also scanned for viruses today, de fragmented my system and runned CCleaner, nothing changed.

Edited by zupapl

I can't load my games since update happened.  I either have to run game as admin. I mean every time I start pillar I have to do this if I exit for any reason the load and continue options are greyed out and have to close game and re open as an admin.

This sounds like a file access problem. I'm not sure where save games are kept for Pillars, but if it is in an admin access only location this could happen. Older games used to have the save folder right in the program files with the rest of the game. Now windows restricts access to the program files to admin.

Bump!

Ever since the update came out none of my saved games are showing up!

I have 30+ hours into one character... and another 5 hours into a new one which i started after the initial save game bug.

I have found absolutely no solutions... my save games exist in %user%/MyDocuments/SavedGames/PillarsofEternity

but the actual application doesnt seem to recognize them!

Here are a bunch of save files that are not at all recognized by PoE:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eawads1x7spddml/AADoKvWajpwi7LH9vDRLd3q2a?dl=0

OK now I can't get any of my saves period. Not as admin nor the varieous solutions in the forums have worked. Validating saves thru Steam doesn't work either. I sent a ticket to Paradox with a couple of my saves cause I had no issues sending save files there as oppossed to here where the save files are too big. I'm not very savvy when it comes to computers so I don't know if there is a program(s) that would have let me send my saves here. Now I get to wait atleast 72 to hear back from Paradox. Its really too bad cause I am/was enjoying this game very much.

Still, the game is unplayable.

I've actually managed to load the save (before re installation too) but it takes like 3-5 minutes, with game being unresponsive and Windows offering me to shut the program down.

I may try giving my game 5 min to load it up, ignoring the windows shut down prompt. Won't be trying this tonight though. Don't have the time for that. Don't worry guys, you are not alone in your futile attempts to load up your 30 hour play through. It's just nice not to be alone in this.

I'm having the same issues - Steam loaded the patch yesterday, and now I can't load my saved games. The program freezes whenever I select either "Continue Game" or "Load Game". I did manage to play briefly last night, but it took at least five minutes before the game loaded.

I've attached the output log and my system specs. The save file is too big to attach.

output_log.txt

DxDiag_2015-04-08.txt

My money is on changed save validation code since this area was probably tweaked to retroactively fix save games from initial release. Is there a way to dump debug that will shed some light on the issue? There have been hints that some Linux users are also hitting this issue, which points back to internal save validation code. Maybe its too sensitive and exhausting retries. Only way to know for sure is to get the validater to dump debug and then re-scan the saves directory. See if someone can whip up a way to instrument this area of code and push it as a hot fix so you can debug this.