"Honestly, I don't understand at all how we can have a game with stillborns being a central subject, with a town full of corpses hanging from a tree, how you murder people left right and center. What about the sanitarium? Isn't that "triggering" to someone?"

Don't forget spousal abuse, rape, racism, calling women 'fire whores' and a whole other nasty/non PC stuff. IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE.

• Like 9

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Unfortunately there's evidence to suggest it wasn't their own decision but one that caved to coercion. 

Like Sawyer essentially reacting "thanks for calling attention to this, we can't catch everything" to the original tweet? Because that doesn't exactly read like someone being coerced to me.

• Like 2

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Down with censorship in any form

Let freedom live again

Trans people should be able to speak their minds even if offenceive

Bigots should be allowed to speak their minds even if their word offend

Gays should be allowed to speak their minds even if some find it offensive

Indeed all should be allowed to speak their minds no matter what they content of their statements

Let the freedom of speech live, in the true sense not just the legal

Can game designers change something about their game if they want as well?  Or is that not covered?

not if a backer paid $500 for it

Even if they asked said backer and said backer said it was okay to change it? 

the backer caved to them, what would they have done if the backer had said no?

we can only speculate but the point is on person on twitter should not have the power to change a game and to make some backer change his original text, it was a funny well written poem 

• Like 1

A few people on a forum does not a **** storm make. Most people don't give a crap, and are actually just playing the game.

Forums very rarely reflect reality.

You abstain from being heard by choice, but even going by your post, here is the thing: it works both ways (and dare I say, goes in double for Twitter).

As far as the limerick I'm in the "don't care" corner, and you're absolutely right. Like forums, Twitter is an echo chamber in which the most extreme and loud voices are magnified and doesn't in any way represent the reality of any situation.

I'm betting the majority of people playing Pillars right now either A) don't know about the offending limerick or it's hilarious replacement, or B) don't care. the ones who do are here (or are on twitter).

Not to say that having your voice heard isn't a good thing, mind you, but the Devs are smart enough to know what way the wind really blows.

Honestly, I don't understand at all how we can have a game with stillborns being a central subject, with a town full of corpses hanging from a tree, how you murder people left right and center. What about the sanitarium? Isn't that "triggering" to someone?

And the one they find offensive is a limerick. Which they then censor.  What if I complained about the story about the lesbians on religious grounds because I find that offensive? Hey what about the sanitarium? That's triggering to me, it's stigmatising mental illness etc etc. Please remove it! You could go all day.

Come on.

When the hell will people finally understand that it's not the choice, but the handling of the subject matter that counts?

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Let freedom live again

Indeed all should be allowed to speak their minds no matter what they content of their statements

Can game designers change something about their game if they want as well?  Or is that not covered?

This point is very true and part of the reason people should calm down.

Unfortunately there's evidence to suggest it wasn't their own decision but one that caved to coercion. No definitive proof mind you, but highly suggested and a very logical conclusion, thus people are up in arms demanding answers....

I see zero evidence. Just because someone made a stink doesn't prove that it was fear of that person (a terrifying, big bad Twitter person, oh no!) that resulted in the change. The only thing that's a given is that the Twitter person brought it to their attention.

It's circumstantial evidence. Don't get me wrong, never said it was evidence, merely that all signs point to and heavily suggest it's a result of pressure or maintaining company image, not one of their personal opinion. You're right, don't get me wrong, but it looks ugly in that this is exactly the kind of pressure that's been applied to game devs for months now, and also for whatever reason Obsidian chose to announce the why's of their decision after people discovered the change, rather than in advance.

I wish they'd've just done it in advance, as that would've stomped out any accusations Obsidian is handling this dishonestly or in a shady way and I doubt we'd've seen this reaction....

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Let freedom live again

not if a backer paid $500 for it

Even if they asked said backer and said backer said it was okay to change it? 

the backer caved to them, what would they have done if the backer had said no?

we can only speculate but the point is on person on twitter should not have the power to change a game and to make some backer change his original text, it was a funny well written poem 

Guessing something sensible like a refund. I can't imagine this was the only piece of objectionable backer content created out of 70000 people.

Like Sawyer essentially reacting "thanks for calling attention to this, we can't catch everything" to the original tweet? Because that doesn't exactly read like someone being coerced to me.

Being coerced rarely does - There's this thing called "public image". It kind of puts a damper on what you can reasonably tell the public regardless of what your opinions and feelings are on a matter. If you don't know already, you could look up the whole Fez drama a year? ago. Massive mental breakdown of an Indie dev on Twitter. It was pretty ugly.

While an extreme case it paints a pretty good picture that you sometimes have to "play along" publicly and appease everyone. Put on that corporate mask.

• Like 3

They already said that the issue will be addressed in the next community update. Which I suppose means blog entry.

They already posted the update on the Kickstarter page - It frankly reads like the word of a politicial. I'm sure you can find a quote of the entire thing here.

Seems good to me. It's pr speech just because some idiot blew it out of proportion, and now Obsidian feels like they need to cover their ass.

That standard procedure.

I'm OK with it.

Thread pruned. Also, forum post-count has been reached so I'm going to close this thread.

If another is created for more discussion of this topic, I hope it shall continue in a more constructive manner than this incarnation had, or it may end up closed as well.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts