Because even many transsexual people thought this is ridiculous.  And I am sorry but there are far fewer nut jobs out there than moderate ones. And these moderate ones are now fighting against censorship.  And thank you for insulting me.

Did they really? Which ones? How many?

We can ask that same question of you. How many? Who?

I wasn't the one making flagrant claims that one side of the discussion was a vast minority. You all sound like children.

"Where's your source?"

"I DON'T KNOW, WHERE'S YOUR SOURCE YOU HYPOCRITE?"

lol.

Edited by Lasci

People are very quick to turn this into a censorship vs. bigotry issue. But here's the thing: if the creators of the game decide that something is in poor taste and want to remove it from their work, that isn't censorship. It's only censorship if they felt forced to do something they wouldn't otherwise have done.

The flawed assumption here is that Obsidian is caving in to pressure somehow. I think it's more likely that they were alerted to content that they didn't care for and wouldn't have chosen to include in the first place had they caught it. The latest update from them suggests as much.

Well said.  I imagine when their attention was brought to the limerick and they thought about how a transgender or homosexual might take it they thought it was something they'd rather not have in their game.  The reactions of people on these forums is downright bizarre to me.  They're acting like actual game content was changed or something.

Because it was actual game content?

Never negotiate. You will only encourage more acts of terror.

I have completely lost interest in playing this game because of this. The whole Pillars of Eternity experience is now tainted with feelings of anger, betrayal, and complete disregard from Obsidian towards those of us who supported it when it was only an idea in a few people's minds. I am hoping I can get my money back and move on to something that I can enjoy being a part of. It is obvious now that this company does not deserve this community of awesome gamers.

• Like 1

Haha for a few days after launch everything was calm and everyone was enjoying Pillars of Eternity.

Until Obsidian opened the Pandora's box by yielding to this individual.

And now they have their hands full.

Guess next time they'll stay out of stuff like this like real game developers?

ALSO.... this person thanked JOSH SAWYER personally on Twitter !!    Rly, Josh ?

For Pillars and Dragon Age Inquisition btw...

Because even many transsexual people thought this is ridiculous.  And I am sorry but there are far fewer nut jobs out there than moderate ones. And these moderate ones are now fighting against censorship.  And thank you for insulting me.

Did they really? Which ones? How many?

We can ask that same question of you. How many? Who?

I wasn't the one making flagrant claims that one side of the discussion was a vast minority. You all sound like children.

"Where's your source?"

"I DON'T KNOW, WHERE'S YOUR SOURCE YOU HYPOCRITE?"

lol.

I was actually pointing out how ridiculous your original post was. Thank you for proving my point with the next. 

• Like 1

Why the **** does this twitter blight of a person have so much more power over the people who funded the game, and its other paying customers?

Welcome to the world of twitter in which even the smallest outrage can  lead to censorship.  And these people know exactly how to do this.  They perfected their game of being professional victims.  You need money? Go make a patreon page and say how much you are being oppressed.

• Like 2

The only people allowed to decide what gender they are are those people themselves. Anyone else's opinion what it ought to be does not enter into it.

Not at all.  The only person allowed to decide a persons opinion's is themselves.  Anyone else's opinion what it ought to be does not enter into it.

A transperson can have the opinion that they are a woman.  What anyone else thinks is not required to have that opinion.  But if another person has the opinion that they are a man then that is also ok.  What anyone else thinks is not required to have that opinion.

Both those individuals are free to have whatever opinion they want.  Neither one is somehow infringing on the rights of the other by having that opinion.

You can identify yourself however you want to but no one is obligated to agree with you.

You're not obligated to refer to a person by their preferred gender, no.  You're just kind of a jerk if you don't.

It comes down to a matter of courtesy.  To call someone by their preferred gender is a courtesy.  It is somewhat presumptuous to assume that people will always be ok with setting aside their own beliefs in order to accommodate you or be polite.  Sometimes a person doesn't want to be polite or sometimes a person feels strongly about their own beliefs that they wish to make a point about it and emphasize their beliefs.  Just because someone doesn't extend a courtesy does not make them a jerk.  It may be kind of jerky depending on the situation but to always expect that courtesy to be extended is somewhat presumptuous and entitled.

Also keep in mind that courtesy is generally a two way street.  So when someone is implying, or outright declaring, that you are bigoted or hateful then I don't think it is rude at all for that you to decide not to extend that courtesy.

Can I say that after something like 60 combined pages of discussion, I still have no f-ing clue about what a limerick is?

It's a type of poem with that specific rhyme scheme he used. Limericks are the ones that are like "There once was a man from nantucket, blah blah blah blah bucket...," then two lines  that don't need to rhyme, followed by the last one rhyming with the first two.

• Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

People are very quick to turn this into a censorship vs. bigotry issue. But here's the thing: if the creators of the game decide that something is in poor taste and want to remove it from their work, that isn't censorship. It's only censorship if they felt forced to do something they wouldn't otherwise have done.

The flawed assumption here is that Obsidian is caving in to pressure somehow. I think it's more likely that they were alerted to content that they didn't care for and wouldn't have chosen to include in the first place had they caught it. The latest update from them suggests as much.

Well said.  I imagine when their attention was brought to the limerick and they thought about how a transgender or homosexual might take it they thought it was something they'd rather not have in their game.  The reactions of people on these forums is downright bizarre to me.  They're acting like actual game content was changed or something.

Because it was actual game content?

No it's not. It just random garbage writtend by someone that had 500$ to waste. Him/her and all the others.

• Like 1

How democracy works

1) be in a minority

2) ask

3) receive

• Like 4

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

Can I say that after something like 60 combined pages of discussion, I still have no f-ing clue about what a limerick is?

It's just a form of poetry originating from Ireland, usually with a humorous or vulgar theme.

It has three long lines and two short lines that rhyme. 

The famous "There once was a man from Nantucket..." is a limerick.

• Like 2

It's always bad times when they remove stuff from a game because one or two people are "offended" by it.

Especially something as trivial as this. 

Now Obsidian by bowing to crazy zealots like this, they're just opening themselves up to people complaining even more. Next step - censor Fallout 1 and 2, especially the rape parts.

• Like 5

It's a type of poem with that specific rhyme scheme he used. Limericks are the ones that are like "There once was a man from nantucket, blah blah blah blah bucket...," then two lines  that don't need to rhyme, followed by the last one rhyming with the first two.

I see, thanks.

It's just a form of poetry originating from Ireland, usually with a humorous or vulgar theme.

It has three long lines and two short lines that rhyme. 

The famous "There once was a man from Nantucket..." is a limerick.

I assure you it's not that famous. Edited by DocDoomII

Down with censorship in any form

Let freedom live again

Trans people should be able to speak their minds even if offenceive

Bigots should be allowed to speak their minds even if their word offend

Gays should be allowed to speak their minds even if some find it offensive

Indeed all should be allowed to speak their minds no matter what they content of their statements

Let the freedom of speech live, in the true sense not just the legal

Can game designers change something about their game if they want as well?  Or is that not covered?

• Like 2

Let freedom live again

Indeed all should be allowed to speak their minds no matter what they content of their statements

Can game designers change something about their game if they want as well?  Or is that not covered?

Nope! If game designers want to change something they have to ask us. that's how free speech works, bro.

So, you are saying that ANY group that finds ANYTHING offensive should have their whims attended, despite the fact that this is FICTION?

Are you saying that a fictional character has always to be an upstanding citizen and show acceptable behavior at all times towards any and all groups?

We should abolish military FPS games - war veterans with real, non-twitter induced PSTD may find them triggering.

We should abolish brigh flashing patterns from games. After all, people with epilepsy could suffer from it (the warnings are certainly not enough! People could not read or heed them).

Here is the thing - the minority that YOU have empathy with in detriment of the others do not get to have special treatment and a Rod of Censoring over what is acceptable content. What about the other minorities that might call for a change? Do you also put yourself in their shoes and abide to their claims, no matter what? What if this isnt a minority - should it be shunned because of strange notions of "privilege"?

I subscribe to the radical notion that if you cannot control your emotions, the world shouldn't need to change to comform to your particular reality. Instead, perhaps you should seek treatment and distance yourself from content that goes against your sensibilities, like any mature person would.

I mean, we have artwork in museums and galleries depicting things like rape. Should we tear those down and rip them apart? Should anything that doesn't comform to the dictatorship of the few be branded as degenerate art, and mocked / censored whenever possible? You know which group also did this in the past?

Watch these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bwGsOBTlhE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ3VcbAfd4w

The outrage over this is beyond ridiculous from my perspective.  The joke is clearly offensive to homosexuals and transgenders.  Would the people who are supporting it and saying it shouldn't have been changed have the same attitude if it was a racist joke?

Except it isn't - You've purposely misread it to fit your need to find it offensive.

Man gets drunk - gets into bed with "woman". It isn't "woman" - He panics and hops off an edge, which kills him. In what way does this degrade homosexuality or transgendered people? That's right - it doesn't. Not wanting to sleep with someone is not a crime against gender or sexual orientation.

I have no need to find it offensive.  I find very few things offensive personally, and the joke doesn't move me one way or the other really.  That said, I have this novel ability to put myself in other peoples' shoes and get a sense for what they might be feeling.  It's called empathy.  Imagine being a member of a marginalized and abused group who has heard crap like this your whole life and has faced a lack of acceptance at every turn.  Imagine sitting down to play a computer game that has within it a joke that basically suggests a guy killed himself because he had sex with someone like you.  Given that you have dealt with this kind of crap all your life, how do you not get offended when seeing this?  If the joke was that he accidentally slept with a black girl and then killed himself in shame would that be okay too?  Just think about that for a second.

Edited by Fenrir007
  • Like 2

Let freedom live again

not if a backer paid $500 for it

• Like 1

Let freedom live again

Yes but this game was already released.  And people felt being offended by it. Because when this happens and you change something people will always fight against censorship.  Even if it not was. The possibility that it was is way too high.  And when  you as a developer in this hell hole you will not get out unscratched. And this is happening now. 

Edited by Darji

Let freedom live again

Of course they can. Now the question remains - why did this get through the testing, production and coding of the game completely? All it took was a single person to complain.

No it's not. It just random garbage writtend by someone that had 500$ to waste. Him/her and all the others.

Gee.  Thanks.   I'll try to avoid making that mistake again.

Hope you enjoyed the game!

• Like 1

Let freedom live again

This point is very true and part of the reason people should calm down.

Unfortunately there's evidence to suggest it wasn't their own decision but one that caved to coercion. No definitive proof mind you, but highly suggested and a very logical conclusion, thus people are up in arms demanding answers....

• Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?