In retrospect, this is getting a bit silly

Obsidian didn't remove the backer entry, the developers contacted the backer who made it and he or she agreed to submit a different limerick, which mocks the people who wanted it removed. In this regard they aren't disrespecting the backer's wishes, because he or she paid for the tier and agreed to do it. I, personally, would have just ignored the tweet altogether, but at the same time I don't own or run a business.

You can argue that it's a slippery slope, and Obsidian will make more major changes to avoid offending people in the future, but this is a game where you can kill children, where kids with animal souls in them become ravenous undead, where genocide is seen with regularity, where a woman gets raped, and so on. I'm having difficulty seeing the developers do a complete 180 from this just because a backer agreed to change a poem, especially since virtually none of the backer content has any major effect on the main campaign and could be completely ignored altogether. This applies to the memorial itself, which actually has several immersion-breaking entries that the player needs to go deliberately out of the way to find.

You can argue that it was a waste of time and a distraction from the patch, but really how long does emailing a backer take? I've seen some of the developers on here at 2 o' clock in the morning, discussing bugs on the forums. It's not like they all gathered in a conference room and had an 8 hour debate about the issue; they were probably more focused on fixing bugs.

In the end of the day all I'm concerned about is the games. While I would have preferred for Obsidian to just ignore random people on the internet I'm not distrubed by this either, because I can't see how this will significantly affect content now or in the near future and this was ultimately something the backer consented to. I'm not really concerned about people on Twitter feeling victorious or "winning", because the politics don't really concern me and come off as petty. It's like boycotting Larian because they changed some character art; it didn't really impact the game, so I don't see why I should be upset by it aside from purely political motivations.

Edited by YourVoiceisAmbrosia
  • Like 3

Nice move, Obsidian. Now my SJW-y acquaintances hate you for letting him play victim in the new epitaph, while the whiners who always cry "censorship" when someone bursts their comfortable little bubble of privilege hate you for changing the original.

Personally, I think this whole thing could've been avoided with tighter control over backer material. Maybe then my eyes wouldn't bleed when reading the backer NPC stories either!

Seriously though, I don't get those who have sworn off Obsidian games forever because of this thing. What are you gonna play now? Bioware games? Elder Scrolls? It's not like Obsidian has, like, any competitors at what they do.

I think you forgot Larian and inExile.... ;-)

Right. Larian. Masters of intricate storytelling. [/sarcasm]

As for InXile, I'd rather wait and see how they fare with Torment before saying anything about them being a possible competitor. Found WL2 dreadfully dull, but then again, I find anything post-apocalyptic dreadfully dull.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I will remember this Situation and i will think twice before i back another Project by Obsidian, caving in to Hatemongers is the wrong way. Remember who in the end PAID for this game, it was not the acid spewers.

• Like 2

If you think calling someone a tranny and misgendering them is ok then that's I need to know about this outrage.

While tranny is generally, but not always, used as a slur misgendering someone (especially since from their point of view they are not misgendering someone but correctly identifying their gender) is not a hateful bigoted act.

Not everyone agrees with transpeople about what gender they are.  Many feel they are in fact their biological sex and not the one they transitioned to.  This is not intolerant or hateful.  People will often extend the courtesy of referring to a transexual as the gender they would prefer even if they do not agree that they are their transitioned sex, but it is a courtesy.  They are under no obligation to alter how they feel about it and they are not being insulting if they choose not to extend that courtesy.

Actually, that's incredibly insulting.  If you make an honest mistake about someone's gender, then hopefully that person will show a little patience, but if you know how they identify and you refuse to go with that self-identification, you are being an absolute ass.

I feel better now that everyone's true motives are coming out now.

Me too freedom of speech goes always both ways. Again Indiana Pizzeria.  And the sad thing is I do not even have anything against homosexuals since I am for equality... I just applaud the backlash people who have threaten these people get...

Thank you SJW you made me feel dirty....

• Like 2

Obsidian didn't remove the backer entry, the developers contacted the backer who made it and he or she agreed to submit a different limerick, which mocks the people who wanted it removed. In this regard they aren't disrespecting the backer's wishes, because he or she paid for the tier and agreed to do it. I, personally, would have just ignored the tweet altogether, but at the same time I don't own or run a business.

You can argue that it's a slippery slope, and Obsidian will make more major changes to avoid offending people in the future, but this is a game where you can kill children, where kids with animal souls in them become ravenous undead, where genocide is seen with regularity, where a woman gets raped, and so on. I'm having difficulty seeing the developers do a complete 180 from this just because a backer agreed to change a poem, especially since virtually none of the backer content has any major effect on the main campaign and could be completely ignored altogether. This applies to the memorial itself, which actually has several immersion-breaking entries that the player needs to go deliberately out of the way to find.

You can argue that it was a waste of time and a distraction from the patch, but really how long does emailing a backer take? I've seen some of the developers on here at 2 o' clock in the morning, discussing bugs on the forums. It's not like they all gathered in a conference room and had an 8 hour debate about the issue; they were probably more focused on fixing bugs.

In the end of the day all I'm concerned about is the games. While I would have preferred for Obsidian to just ignore random people on the internet I'm not distrubed by this either, because I can't see how this will significantly affect content now or in the near future and this was ultimately something the backer consented to. I'm not really concerned about people on Twitter feeling victorious or "winning", because the politics don't really concern me and come off as petty.

Agreed.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I think some people may be confusing an expression of frustration and anger with, y'know, actual serious genocidal wishes, hmm?

So the person who said Tr,... is not angry and frustrated? 

also Why I always have the feeling you are Brianna Wu?....

I have no idea who that is, but given that you're the one making the comparison, I think I'll view it as a likely compliment.

I'm sure they are angry and frustrated.  The difference is in the amount of power that the respective people's negative opinions have to contribute to genuine harm for their target group members' lives. 

I once had a post,

at the start of this thread

But obsidian's integrity,

it was found to be dead

Now I must try my best,

to remember the rest
Of the Poem I made,

that the mods forbade

---

There once was a rock, that somehow got singed

By someone from, the internet fringe

She even said, "all men should be dead"

So the next time obisidian finds themselves in a pinch

Remember those cowards, don't deserve an inch.

• Like 10

I think some people may be confusing an expression of frustration and anger with, y'know, actual serious genocidal wishes, hmm?

Are you telling me that was a joke, and as such, not meant to be taken seriously...?

You know what that sounds exactly like?

A joke?  No.

The poem itself is also a joke. Either you consider both serious or both are jokes.

Nice move, Obsidian. Now my SJW-y acquaintances hate you for letting him play victim in the new epitaph, while the whiners who always cry "censorship" when someone bursts their comfortable little bubble of privilege hate you for changing the original.

Personally, I think this whole thing could've been avoided with tighter control over backer material. Maybe then my eyes wouldn't bleed when reading the backer NPC stories either!

Seriously though, I don't get those who have sworn off Obsidian games forever because of this thing. What are you gonna play now? Bioware games? Elder Scrolls? It's not like Obsidian has, like, any competitors at what they do.

Larian? Haven't you heard, they caved to SJW censorship too. The early concept art for the two Original Sin main characters had him in sensible armour and her in cleavage-y boobplate. When people complained about this, the art was changed so that both characters wore sensible armour. Or as sensible as armour ever gets in Larian games.

All those spikes, man.

Edited by WotanAnubis
  • Like 1

In the end of the day all I'm concerned about is the games. While I would have preferred for Obsidian to just ignore random people on the internet I'm not distrubed by this either, because I can't see how this will significantly affect content now or in the near future and this was ultimately something the backer consented to. I'm not really concerned about people on Twitter feeling victorious or "winning", because the politics don't really concern me and come off as petty.

Where does it stop? Now that they know Obsidian will cave when confronted, what will they want when they come for the mile? Obsidian already gave them the inch. 

That is the problem. You say you are worried about the games. This WILL affect the games. 

• Like 5

Very dissapointed Obs.

All this over ONE lunatic. I feel tempted to falseflag about everything remotely ofensive.

People being upset with the limericks removal just imagine this: The new limerick makes fun of the people complaining about the joke in the first place, from this day to their last day, whenever they play through this game, there will be a piece of text mocking them in the game. Now shill out.

my reaction to all of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXozZ7JhTRs

I'm glad we live in a world were the real Rance doesn't need to worry for sjw BS.

• Like 2

So the person who said Tr,... is not angry and frustrated? 

also Why I always have the feeling you are Brianna Wu?....

I have no idea who that is, but given that you're the one making the comparison, I think I'll view it as a likely compliment.

I'm sure they are angry and frustrated.  The difference is in the amount of power that the respective people's negative opinions have to contribute to genuine harm for their target group members' lives. 

I think you would like Brianna Wu pretty much. Just search for her on twitter.

I am sorry but if your life is in danger because of something like that. You have much much bigger problems and you need professional help very very fast.

Larian? Haven't you heard, they caved to SJW censorship too. The early concept art for the two Original Sin main characters had him in sensible armour and her in cleavage-y boobplate. When people complained about this, the art was changed so that both characters worse sensible armour. Or as sensible as armour ever gets in Larian games.

Oh, right, that too. I even remember the artist whining about censorship. It was hilarious. I should toss some money at Larian's next KS, I guess.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Larian? Haven't you heard, they caved to SJW censorship too. The early concept art for the two Original Sin main characters had him in sensible armour and her in cleavage-y boobplate. When people complained about this, the art was changed so that both characters worse sensible armour. Or as sensible as armour ever gets in Larian games.

All those spikes, man.

Interesting, I liked the armor. :-)

That is sad to hear though. Guess it is just inExile....

People are saying he willfully changed the text, but here is the thing - was he even given a choice? I think we all know the answer to that.

And yes, switching the text IS removal of the content. "We didn't remove black people from our game - we just switched them for white guys". Would that fly?

Edited by Fenrir007
  • Like 6

Honestly, the other MUCH darker, content in the base game, makes the removal of original limerick stick out more, and makes it much more idiotic to have done. Why remove a harmless limerick when stuff that some other proffesionally offended person could take much worse offense to, remains in game. We all know this is only the beginning. It wont be long before certain elements are enheartened by their "victory" and try to push it further.

• Like 1

Just tell me, what's next? If there's an insult against a blonde person in the game, is Obsidian going to cave in again when a certain blonde person gets offended and launches a hate campaign on Twitter? Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for my ****ing signed collector's edition I paid almost three hundred dollars for, which is nowhere to be seen. Maybe you should set your priorities straight, Obsidian, and maybe, just *maybe*, you should not be ****ing cowards who cave in to demands of extremists.

They didn't. The backer gave consent for it to be changed. Obsidian did nothing wrong.

Coerced consent is never consent.

"Change it or we'll take out the 500 USD thing you payed for with no compensation" is a hell of an agreement.

• Like 3
Never negotiate. You will only encourage more acts of terror.

Honestly, if you're not transgender then you'll never understand what it's like to live in a society that simultaneously fetishes you and yet hates you and laughs about killing you. The fact that Obsidian listened and modified the joke is a rare concession from a society that loathes us. And it's not like we evil trans feminists are going to root through all your favorite games and maliciously remove everything you like. And if you genuinely feel the game is made less because of this joke's removal, then that says a lot about the kind of person you are. 

Here is where your assumptions are wrong:

I have a trans friend who sent me a text about this whole matter. She is far more livid about Obsidian caving than I am, I am mostly disappointed.

You seem to assume that being trans means you speak for all trans people. Because you have some kind of hivemind? Sorry to break the news to you but trans people are just like everyone else, they come in all manner of personalities. They can be the greatest friends, annoying dramaqueens, the biggest d-bags and everything in between.

Nobody gets a free pass on being a decent human being ever. Not because of your skincolour, your gender, your sexuality or your social status.

The individual behind the twitter account that started all this seems to be quite a petty and spiteful person, regardles of what gender and sexuality she may have.

To say I can't possibly make that conclusion because I'm not a trans myself I find both ridiculous and a tad insulting

• Like 1

I love how you think anyone will take you guys professed motives seriously when your posts lecture about how misgendering is ok.

Like, credibility went all the way out the window there.

I find that attempt at humiliation a tad ironic given your habit with ending all posts with "lol" just a few pages ago.

Credibility? I don't think you had any to begin with - who are you to comment on others lack thereof?

• Like 4

All those spikes, man.

Interesting, I liked the armor. :-)

That is sad to hear though. Guess it is just inExile....

Considering dev overlap and cooperation between Obsidian and InXile, I'd honestly be surprised if they'd have a significantly different company culture over there, come to think of it.

Guess you could always play Shadowrun? Oh wait, they sent GGers away, too. How sad.