Nice move, Obsidian. Now my SJW-y acquaintances hate you for letting him play victim in the new epitaph, while the whiners who always cry "censorship" when someone bursts their comfortable little bubble of privilege hate you for changing the original.

Personally, I think this whole thing could've been avoided with tighter control over backer material. Maybe then my eyes wouldn't bleed when reading the backer NPC stories either!

Seriously though, I don't get those who have sworn off Obsidian games forever because of this thing. What are you gonna play now? Bioware games? Elder Scrolls? It's not like Obsidian has, like, any competitors at what they do.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid
  • Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I think some people may be confusing an expression of frustration and anger with, y'know, actual serious genocidal wishes, hmm?

Are you telling me that was a joke, and as such, not meant to be taken seriously...?

You know what that sounds exactly like?

• Like 3

Yeah, it's too bad Obsidian has that Paizo contract. They had a sure buy from me before all this popped up. You know it would have been cool if it was Firedorn's idea to change things, but now Obsidian caved to a rabid sjw, who blatantly says killallmen on her social media, and censored a funny, not transphobic in any way limerick. Doesn't even matter that Firedorn got to write something new. Obsidian will see no more of my dollars.

I know what Brian Fargo would do. He'd just laugh at that heinous person on twitter, and kept working hard on patches. Not these lot , apparently.

• Like 4

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

If you think calling someone a tranny and misgendering them is ok then that's I need to know about this outrage.

If you call me a CIS I also know what I need to know about you.  And yes this word is being used more and more like a slur. 

CIS is indeed a slur and I reject that term

• Like 2

@Obsidian How many angry tweets are needed to have other dialogue in the game changed? I figured since you caved in once you will do so again and I'm just curious about the exact numbers of tweets needed

• Like 12

Wait, so the occasions when the violent rape text is mandatory to sit through to progress the game are okay but a bit of a silly poem isn't?

*takes notes*

This is something I don't understand either. This game has no lack of dark content. Yet an optional text on a wall in a relatively obscure area is the only thing that was found to be offensive?

Personal. Agenda. Crusade.

Gather enough people to your political party, and make a cause for it, and rally for it under your banner, and you'll see lots of establishments shake their boots. One ant is not much, many ants are a pest.

• Like 3

I think some people may be confusing an expression of frustration and anger with, y'know, actual serious genocidal wishes, hmm?

Considering a joke that isn't even directly transphobic is apparently endorsing the murder of transsexuals, I think actively stating you want to kill all men is certainly endorsing genocide.

When someone constantly makes those sort of statements unprompted, I think it's safe to say it's not just "a joke" or "an expression of frustration" anymore.

• Like 1

Censorship BE GONE mod

Two versions, one restores original limerick, 2nd version adds both. Requires Bester's excellent IE mod 4.6.

http://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/mods/28/?

I love how this mod gives the option to keep both as I like the new one but do want it uncensored. As far as I'm concerned, in my game, this backer gets two entries for the price of his troubles.

Excellent mod.

• Like 4

So the person who said Tr,... is not angry and frustrated? 

also Why I always have the feeling you are Brianna Wu?....

Edited by Darji
  • Like 1

Just tell me, what's next? If there's an insult against a blonde person in the game, is Obsidian going to cave in again when a certain blonde person gets offended and launches a hate campaign on Twitter? Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for my ****ing signed collector's edition I paid almost three hundred dollars for, which is nowhere to be seen. Maybe you should set your priorities straight, Obsidian, and maybe, just *maybe*, you should not be ****ing cowards who cave in to demands of extremists.

• Like 9

Nice move, Obsidian. Now my SJW-y acquaintances hate you for letting him play victim in the new epitaph, while the whiners who always cry "censorship" when someone bursts their comfortable little bubble of privilege hate you for changing the original.

Personally, I think this whole thing could've been avoided with tighter control over backer material. Maybe then my eyes wouldn't bleed when reading the backer NPC stories either!

Seriously though, I don't get those who have sworn off Obsidian games forever because of this thing. What are you gonna play now? Bioware games? Elder Scrolls? It's not like Obsidian has, like, any competitors at what they do.

I think you forgot Larian and inExile.... ;-)

• Like 1

I know what Brian Fargo would do. He'd just laugh at that heinous person on twitter, and kept working hard on patches. Not these lot , apparently.

Dude needs to keep working on that balance patch. That game LUUUURVS its' assault rifles. There have been charts and everything.

"existence of substitutes" is the phrase in economics. I enjoy the kind of games Obsidian makes, but any game of sufficent quality works, especially because I've been learning a new language that gives me acess to 30+ years of games I've never experienced before and have developers who are known to laugh these people instead of enabling them.

(not to mention Larian, Warhorse and any smaller kickstarter games exist anyways)

Edited by deuxhero
  • Like 2
Never negotiate. You will only encourage more acts of terror.

Are you telling me that was a joke, and as such, not meant to be taken seriously...?

You know what that sounds exactly like?

A joke?  No.

If you think calling someone a tranny and misgendering them is ok then that's I need to know about this outrage.

While tranny is generally, but not always, used as a slur misgendering someone (especially since from their point of view they are not misgendering someone but correctly identifying their gender) is not a hateful bigoted act.

Not everyone agrees with transpeople about what gender they are.  Many feel they are in fact their biological sex and not the one they transitioned to.  This is not intolerant or hateful.  People will often extend the courtesy of referring to a transexual as the gender they would prefer even if they do not agree that they are their transitioned sex, but it is a courtesy.  They are under no obligation to alter how they feel about it and they are not being insulting if they choose not to extend that courtesy.  A transexual person if free to take offense if this happens, and many will, but they have no reasonable expectation to be able to dictate another person's opinion on this matter.

Being offended is not some trump card that means you get to win an argument or force someone else to change what they believe.

I think some people may be confusing a lighthearted joke with, y'know, actual serious hatred and oppression of transsexual people, hmm?

Edited by darkpatriot
  • Like 3

The dramatics in this thread are amazing.  Obsidian makes a decision about a single piece of fluff and so many people are going to never enjoy Obsidian's work again.  Grab the fainting couches.

The fact this was a backer reward and was initially approved means the guy who submitted it should absolutely get a new memorial or his money back.  There's no question about that.  But we don't know what their plans are in that regard, so maybe ease off the gas a little and give them a chance to make changes or say they gave him the money before declaring them spineless or Worse Than Hitler or whatever.

The poem- IT'S NOT A LIMERICK!- can be taken as transphobic, but it doesn't seem worth the time to comprehensively explain why.  I'd rather point out that just like freedom of speech specifically refers to the American government not being allowed to tell you what you can or can't say, censorship is government (or whatever power happens to run a given society) telling you what you can or can't say.  Obsidian is a business took some complaints- not all of which came from misandrist nutters, I'm sure- and decided to show a little respect to people who actually end up in situations like the one that poem described.  Whether or not you're happy about it, that's their choice, and the only person who has a real right to be upset is the one who submitted the memorial in the first place.

This does not affect your play experience in any way.  Just keep that in mind when you're groaning about your inability to enjoy the game anymore.  If you've really lost the ability to have fun with the game, that's because of the crap in your head, not Obsidian's choices.

I am really disappointing that Obsidian's only response to this was PR speak on a kickstarter update. Also, this was completely unnecessary as the twitter rage machine had already moved on to other things like the new Daily Show host.

• Like 1

Over thousand games in backlog and growing... I'm not running out of games any time soon. And then there is always classics too to be replayed...

• Like 2

@Obsidian How many angry tweets are needed to have other dialogue in the game changed? I figured since you caved in once you will do so again and I'm just curious about the exact numbers of tweets needed

Just the one, as far as I can tell. But you have the know the secret SJW handshake.

That, or have a convincing enough argument on why the dialogue ought to be changed.

I love this, a man or woman who sees the real issue here

can we bitch about anything enough where you will change it?

Edited by k1rage
  • Like 1

People who are offended by a couple of sentences about sex should get psychological treatment. Apparently they are okay with all the killing, nobody seems to be offended by that. These people can't be sane and should get professional help.

And people must not have the right to be not offended. Think it through what it would mean to society.

• Like 5

Just tell me, what's next? If there's an insult against a blonde person in the game, is Obsidian going to cave in again when a certain blonde person gets offended and launches a hate campaign on Twitter? Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for my ****ing signed collector's edition I paid almost three hundred dollars for, which is nowhere to be seen. Maybe you should set your priorities straight, Obsidian, and maybe, just *maybe*, you should not be ****ing cowards who cave in to demands of extremists.

They didn't. The backer gave consent for it to be changed. Obsidian did nothing wrong.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.