Honestly, if you're not transgender then you'll never understand what it's like to live in a society that simultaneously fetishes you and yet hates you and laughs about killing you. The fact that Obsidian listened and modified the joke is a rare concession from a society that loathes us. And it's not like we evil trans feminists are going to root through all your favorite games and maliciously remove everything you like. And if you genuinely feel the game is made less because of this joke's removal, then that says a lot about the kind of person you are. 

So you are just going to ignore the transgender individuals that spoke out to have the joke stay as it was? Do you speak for all other whom are transgender? That's a highly arrogant statement to make.

Also the joke was far too vague to objectively have been about a transgender individual. It only became about that when a clearly crazy person made it about that. That is the important thing to remember. People gave into mob mentality because a single person made a disingenuous and highly self-serving statement. The joke didn't even really matter, since people obviously just bandwagoned without giving it a second thought. That's potentially dangerous for future content. 

Edited by ChipMHazard

Seriously? There is by far bigger problems not only in Western countries but in the entire world. There is people who blow themselves up among civilians for their fantasy god. There is radical racism and misogony among groups and among large percentages of populations of certain countries. But this? This is just an inflated irrelevant piece of nothingness compared to all of that and anything that could ever be truly offensive, insulting or dangerous.

This was clearly not even meant to be an offensive rhyme. Why would you care Obsidian? Just why?

And this is so typical for those ever-offended people in USA that feel entitled to complain on everything they see themselves suppressed by . "Oh look at me, I am looking for reasons to be offended because I am such a victim" COME ON. There is stuff sold in every store that is totally gender-marketed and nobody gives a crap, social norms everywhere nobody gives a crap, homophobia and hate for non-believers in all major religions, and then this? A harmless joke? COME ON REALLY? THIS IS THE PROBLEM? REALLY?

**** off

This is why we can't have nice things. People, really, please focus on real problems and not on imaginary tumblr egocentric paranoia-induced farts like this.

Edited by Kukident
  • Like 11

Honestly, if you're not transgender then you'll never understand what it's like to live in a society that simultaneously fetishes you and yet hates you and laughs about killing you. The fact that Obsidian listened and modified the joke is a rare concession from a society that loathes us. And it's not like we evil trans feminists are going to root through all your favorite games and maliciously remove everything you like. And if you genuinely feel the game is made less because of this joke's removal, then that says a lot about the kind of person you are. 

A perfectly valid statement - Except for one tiny little detail. This was never a limerick aimed at degrading transgendered people, nor does it in any way involve the issue unless you deliberately misread it and act offended by it.

This is something I don't understand either. This game has no lack of dark content. Yet an optional text on a wall in a relatively obscure area is the only thing that was found to be offensive?

There's a difference between the two.

One is used as a story element, discussed by characters ingame, reflected upon so that the player is encouraged to think about it. The other is a few lines of throw-away text that are just there.

There's a big difference.

So when - If the topic of transgenderism comes up and it isn't handled in a way that is acceptable by your opinion? (Opinions are opinions afterall - no matter how wrong. This is not the real world so you can't play the #Ifeeloffended card)

Standards are great - Double standards are doubly so.

Edited by Mansen
  • Like 6

When you rally behind people like #killallmen Eric of course society is going to loathe you.

Your claimed monopoly on suffering is quite frankly bigioted and disgusting to me.

thank you for stating that all transgender people are not extremest nutbags, when will people realize that censorship is wrong

• Like 3

People being upset with the limericks removal just imagine this: The new limerick makes fun of the people complaining about the joke in the first place, from this day to their last day, whenever they play through this game, there will be a piece of text mocking them in the game. Now shill out.

my reaction to all of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXozZ7JhTRs

Hyperbole is hyperbole. Before anyone gets immolated under the fires of the Internet forum court of public opinion, let's consider context and situation?

I don't know nor do I care about this individual nor do I care one way whether Obsidian "caved," let's not make this issue a bigger deal then what it really is?

A joke was made. Somebody got offended. Obsidian looked at it, saw the ambiguously gray area of it, and contacted the backer in question. They agreed to change it and make another joke about it. Nothing unreasonable happened.

Wrong unfortunately.  It should be, "A joke was made, someone got offended. Obsidian laughed and kept working on their patch."

What is unreasonable is that they even looked at it. There was no need, nothing was wrong in the first place.

• Like 3

I feel that humor should in most cases be uncensored

why? because its humor and not meant to be taken seriously

As someone who really likes satire, I must admit that I disagree.

Not that I mind the occasional bout of silliness, but we would live in a very sorry world indeed if humour is never meant to be taken seriously.

At the very least, we'll always need a court jester to point and laugh at all of the King's flaws without his head getting chopped off.

• Like 1

If you think calling someone a tranny and misgendering them is ok then that's I need to know about this outrage.

If you call me a CIS I also know what I need to know about you.  And yes this word is being used more and more like a slur. 

• Like 14

"The great thing about Kickstarter is that we can go directly to the people who love to play RPGs as much as we love to make them. Plus, we don’t have to make compromises with a publisher. We make the development decisions, we market the game, and we don't have to answer to anyone but you – our fans."

• Project Eternity kickstarter

Well, I guess there goes your ethics. 

• Like 2

If you think calling someone a tranny and misgendering them is ok then that's I need to know about this outrage.

Its perfectly ok when that individual tranny wants all men rounded up into concentration camps.

• Like 9

Honestly, if you're not transgender then you'll never understand

Exactly the kind of attitude that starts problems like this one. Suuuure

• Like 9

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

People being upset with the limericks removal just imagine this: The new limerick makes fun of the people complaining about the joke in the first place, from this day to their last day, whenever they play through this game, there will be a piece of text mocking them in the game. Now shill out.

my reaction to all of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXozZ7JhTRs

First of all I would be honored if a game of this caliber made fun of me, I am secure enough to deal with it

secondly I find censorship of a $500 backer offensive so should obsidian reverse their editing because im offended? 

• Like 6

I do indeed think words are OK. Human beings are "endowed by their creator" with freedom of speech.

That you don't think words are OK, but genocide *is* is quite disturbing.

• Like 2
Never negotiate. You will only encourage more acts of terror.

While the limerick that the devs have been "encouraged" to change is better in a way, I, for one, am very happy to not have to be exposed to such a crimejoke thanks to the vigilance of well-intentioned people working for the betterment of humanity, one crimejoke at a time.

I feel that humor should in most cases be uncensored

why? because its humor and not meant to be taken seriously

As someone who really likes satire, I must admit that I disagree.

Not that I mind the occasional bout of silliness, but we would live in a very sorry world indeed if humour is never meant to be taken seriously.

At the very least, we'll always need a court jester to point and laugh at all of the King's flaws without his head getting chopped off.

I agree but to live in that world the the king must not take the jester's humor too seriously or he will get all pissy like some folks lol and chop off the jesters head

• Like 2

A joke was made, someone got offended. Obsidian laughed and kept working on their patch.

That Obsidian you're talking about died long ago.

• Like 2

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

Hyperbole is hyperbole. Before anyone gets immolated under the fires of the Internet forum court of public opinion, let's consider context and situation?

I don't know nor do I care about this individual nor do I care one way whether Obsidian "caved," let's not make this issue a bigger deal then what it really is?

A joke was made. Somebody got offended. Obsidian looked at it, saw the ambiguously gray area of it, and contacted the backer in question. They agreed to change it and make another joke about it. Nothing unreasonable happened.

THe problem lies at "Somebody got offended.". Somebody got offended about something that could be interpreted in various ways and that alone was able to change the content of a game. The joke could be interpreted in the following ways:

• The man was drunk and slept with another man by mistake
  • The man was not drunk but was tricked into sleeping with a man
  • The man slept with a trans
  • Some illusion spell or something cast by a mage, I don't know
  • The man was forced to sleep with another man? (Rape)
  • etc
  • etc 2
  • etc 3

Why does a single of these possible interpretations have the ability of erasing the whole thing that started it? As you said, it was ambiguous. If it was ambiguous, it was meant to be vague, you were meant to imagine what happened by yourself. Your imagination and judgement has no right to dictate what should and shouldn't be in a game (unless you're the dev/shareholder/etc).

And there's another thing here: the joke was aimed at the man who killed himself, not at the other person. If the joke had made fun of the other man for being a trans, then it would be transphobic and offensive. But the original joke wasn't.

• Like 11

I think some people may be confusing an expression of frustration and anger with, y'know, actual serious genocidal wishes, hmm?

An expression of frustration and anger he repeated several times and explicitly confirmed he was absolutely serious about?

• Like 3
Never negotiate. You will only encourage more acts of terror.

I think some people may be confusing an expression of frustration and anger with, y'know, actual serious genocidal wishes, hmm?

Not when you can keep finding examples of this same type of speech. 

The Internet keeps all. Nothing is hidden. 

• Like 1