The poem was transphobic. It was homophobic.

No it wasn't.  Assuming you even interpret the epitaph that way there is nothing transphobic or homophobic about not wanting to sleep with a transsexual or homosexual and feeling shamed if you did so unknowingly.

People keep repeating this so many times as if it were true.  Something about repeating a lie enough times and people will believe it.  That is why it is important that someone challenge you and tell you: "No, that is not true."

• Like 10

I'm not sure wether to laugh or cry when I see people using the "SJW" acronym. For one, it only shows how fast people are to grab on to propaganda. Secondly, it makes me wonder if they ever consider how much ****tier their lives would be without this horrible horrible concept known as social justice.

"Social Justice" began as the name of an anti-semite publication in the 1920s US. Coming from a family with no shortage of Jewish ancestors, I can say my life would be a lot better without it.

That's a bald faced lie. It was first used by a Jesuit during the 1848 revolutions.

And it's not the only bald faced lie being thrown around in this thread.

So it's actually associated with the violent and chaotic "reign of terror" where people were murdered daily for mere association, birth or opinion? Much better!

That's the French Revolution. Lol.

Thats apparantly the person that started this entire SJW rant so yes you are agreeing with it if you wanted the limerick removed.

See, if you agree with someone on one thing you must, therefore, agree with them on everything. That's just how things work, apparently.

Thats apparantly the person that started this entire SJW rant so yes you are agreeing with it if you wanted the limerick removed.

See, if you agree with someone on one thing you must, therefore, agree with them on everything. That's just how things work, apparently.

Except that is not at all what I said.

• Like 2

Yay, caving in to the demands of those that most likely didn't even buy the game.

Oh it's much worse. It's caving in to the demands of a twitter tranny who likes to to tweet disgusting genocidal fantasies. Yet zealously expects others to live by a strict moral standard he would never, not even for a split second, apply to himself. I mean the thought would just never register.

Totes not rabidly transphobic.

Actual bigots: go ahead and admit it like this guy has so we can move on with the substance.

I'm not sure wether to laugh or cry when I see people using the "SJW" acronym. For one, it only shows how fast people are to grab on to propaganda. Secondly, it makes me wonder if they ever consider how much ****tier their lives would be without this horrible horrible concept known as social justice.

"Social Justice" began as the name of an anti-semite publication in the 1920s US. Coming from a family with no shortage of Jewish ancestors, I can say my life would be a lot better without it.

That's a bald faced lie. It was first used by a Jesuit during the 1848 revolutions.

And it's not the only bald faced lie being thrown around in this thread.

So it's actually associated with the violent and chaotic "reign of terror" where people were murdered daily for mere association, birth or opinion? Much better!

That's the French Revolution. Lol.

Never negotiate. You will only encourage more acts of terror.

I actually don't care either way, to be honest. I do care that the backer update was a bunch of rubbish. If this one piece of backer content made it in without being vetted, then has Obsidian gone through and vetted every other piece since then? Why was it put in without being vetted? How poorly are things run at Obsidian? Obviously there is a lot of content, but I would imagine that the backer content would all be checked before being put in. If not, I wonder what other offensive things have made it past them. I expect them to treat those who are offended by other things the same as they have those who raged on twitter.

I also don't like that they made the change in an update but didn't put it into the patch notes.

Yay, caving in to the demands of those that most likely didn't even buy the game.

Oh it's much worse. It's caving in to the demands of a twitter tranny who likes to to tweet disgusting genocidal fantasies. Yet zealously expects others to live by a strict moral standard he would never, not even for a split second, apply to himself. I mean the thought would just never register.

Actual bigots: go ahead and admit it like this guy has so we can move on with the substance.

Oh wai

Oh wait people are now actually mad for censorship and now insulting the person responsible for it? Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah Indiana pizzeria.  Have fun. because this **** goes always both ways. So yeah live with the criticism you get now because of it.  Insn't your way of thinking great? 

Well, this is pretty ridiculous. :banghead:

We've got a game where Obsidian's vetting process for its own content is fine with prostitution, incest, bestiality, rape, and torture, not to mention theft, violence, and mass murder, not to mention the manipulation and destruction of souls, played both for fun and for jokes depending on which in-game character is speaking, because the audience is supposed to be adult enough to deal with adult themes, but they now send out a kickstarter backer message mentioning how the limerick about a man sleeping with a man whom he thought was a woman and rejecting it, was obviously something that couldn't have passed the official vetting process, so now that they have properly vetted it they had to replace it.  :skeptical:

I find it slightly ridiculous to make such a change in a game as a result of somebody looking for things to get outraged by got outraged, since pandering to the easily outraged is an endless task, but on the other hand, if they deem that it is better business to cave in and move on, fine. They are a business first and foremost and it would be even more ridiculous to expect them not to put their business first.

I just wish they wouldn't top their decision by a whopper like stating:

"It has come to our attention that a piece of backer-created content has made it into Pillars of Eternity that was not vetted. Once it was brought to our attention, it followed the same vetting process as all of our other content. Prior to release, we worked with many of our backers to iterate on content they asked to be put into the game that didn't strike the right tone.

In the case of this specific content, we" checked with the backer who wrote it and asked them about changing it. We respect our backers greatly, and felt it was our duty to include them in the process. They gave us new content which we have used to replace what is in the game. To be clear, we followed the process we would have followed had this content been vetted prior to the release of the product.""

THAT is the most ridiculous claim of them all. It may well be true, but, if it is, one has to wonder how Obsidian's own content survived its vetting process... unless its own content was held to a lower standard than their backers, of course. :devil:

Edited by pi2repsion
  • Like 12

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

Okay, taking my own advice and heading out for a hike with the wife.  Before I go, however, I will point out that a post that serves no other purpose than to attack another member will be removed.  Remember, no eye gouging, low blows, or other things.  Fight fair and leave... well... if not friends, then at least not mortal enemies.  :Cant's hopeful icon:

• Like 2

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Honestly, if you're not transgender then you'll never understand what it's like to live in a society that simultaneously fetishes you and yet hates you and laughs about killing you. The fact that Obsidian listened and modified the joke is a rare concession from a society that loathes us. And it's not like we evil trans feminists are going to root through all your favorite games and maliciously remove everything you like. And if you genuinely feel the game is made less because of this joke's removal, then that says a lot about the kind of person you are. 

Honestly, if you're not transgender then you'll never understand what it's like to live in a society that simultaneously fetishes you and yet hates you and laughs about killing you. The fact that Obsidian listened and modified the joke is a rare concession from a society that loathes us. And it's not like we evil trans feminists are going to root through all your favorite games and maliciously remove everything you like. And if you genuinely feel the game is made less because of this joke's removal, then that says a lot about the kind of person you are. 

The joke was not even ****ing transphobic, you were free to interpret it any way you pleased!

• Like 10

Hyperbole is hyperbole. Before anyone gets immolated under the fires of the Internet forum court of public opinion, let's consider context and situation?

I don't know nor do I care about this individual nor do I care one way whether Obsidian "caved," let's not make this issue a bigger deal then what it really is?

A joke was made. Somebody got offended. Obsidian looked at it, saw the ambiguously gray area of it, and contacted the backer in question. They agreed to change it and make another joke about it. Nothing unreasonable happened.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

When you rally behind people like #killallmen Eric of course society is going to loathe you. You claim you're not remove everything you like but you stand with a man (I'm not going to put "wo" there because someone preching genocide doesn't deserve anyone being nice to him) preeching genocide? I'm rather fond of my life (it allows me to enjoy everything I like).

Your claimed monopoly on suffering is quite frankly bigioted and disgusting to me as well.

Edited by deuxhero
  • Like 6
Never negotiate. You will only encourage more acts of terror.

I have news for you. There were also many transgender people who thought that this is ridiculous. But yeah always listen to the crazy ones who are shouting **** like kill all men. 

• Like 11

This is something I don't understand either. This game has no lack of dark content. Yet an optional text on a wall in a relatively obscure area is the only thing that was found to be offensive?

There's a difference between the two.

One is used as a story element, discussed by characters ingame, reflected upon so that the player is encouraged to think about it. The other is a few lines of throw-away text that are just there.

There's a big difference.