I'm going to editorialize for just a moment. First of all, I don't see every post. If you report something from a member who doesn't need approval, I'm more likely to see it. ...But I think it's important to be charitable with one another. Only report things that rise to a reportable offense. That line will differ between members, but there is a line. The upshot, however, is that I mostly see posts by new (or newly posting) members of the forum. When I've gone through quickly, I've seen that most of the posts are actually pretty respectful even if clearly typed with some heat and passion. Fair enough.

Remember, after this game is done, we're going to have more games and hopefully a lot more from Obsidian. The person fighting on the 'other side' right now might very well be the person backing your side in the next big fight. Don't let this become an all out war. If you get to where you're seeing red, take a break. Look at other threads. Play the game. Talk to the spouse. Play with the kids. Have a bite to eat (or a beer if you're of age and so inclined). Then, when you're not so heavily invested, come back and rejoin the discussion.

Anyhow, I was originally surprised at how rancorous people were on this issue, but now I'm surprised that it has really actually remained pretty civil all things considered. Congrats, Obsidz forumites! Good for you!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'm schizophrenic. I have very high odds of dying and early death due to suicide...or being murdered by a cop.

There's a lot of jokes in PoE about hearing voices and such. Do I find it offensive? Yes. Do I bitch and whine about being discriminated against because of some jokes in a video game?

Not so much.

This over and over again - The game is filled with so many topics and situations that anyone can find offensive. If the developers can ignore their actual  customers and cave over a simple joke, just wait and see now that people can smell the blood and start complaining over everything from infanticide to making fun of real medical conditions like schizophrenia.

• Like 6

I'm not sure wether to laugh or cry when I see people using the "SJW" acronym. For one, it only shows how fast people are to grab on to propaganda. Secondly, it makes me wonder if they ever consider how much ****tier their lives would be without this horrible horrible concept known as social justice.

"Social Justice" began as the name of an anti-semite publication in the 1920s US. Coming from a family with no shortage of Jewish ancestors, I can say my life would be a lot better without it.

Never negotiate. You will only encourage more acts of terror.

I'm afraid this may just be something you have to accept when buying a game made by people from California.

The idea that radical gender identity activists can be extremists just doesn't register on their radar, at all. They automatically have credibility.

Edited by Infinitron
  • Like 13

They removed it AFTER someone complained. They removed ORIGINAL content in order to appease one hateful individual.

What next? Is someone gonna take offence to Durance's hilarious and often "inappropriate" dialogue and demand the removal of that?

Where does it end?

It's their game they could have decided to keep it in but they didn't

Stop being so offended about nothing :p

But seriously I'm sick of the firestorm that builds up over these things from either side. 

Edited by Moonlight Butterfly

There are backers that were in favor of this, who wanted this. What makes your demands more important than theirs? And how is what they're doing censorship but what you're threatening not?

Funny thing is no 'SJWs' called for a boycott. Just you. They wanted to talk to the devs, and they did.

Wrong: Feminist Frequency member called for such a boycott.  But hey... have fun we now life in a world in which people can censor and mute other people through twitter because they do not like things.

And you know what. It is really funny that a pizzeria in Indiana who got threaten by these people know has raised almost 1 million to support them. Talk about backlash.

• Like 6

Wait, so the occasions when the violent rape text is mandatory to sit through to progress the game are okay but a bit of a silly poem isn't?

*takes notes*

This is something I don't understand either. This game has no lack of dark content. Yet an optional text on a wall in a relatively obscure area is the only thing that was found to be offensive?

These are people that wants to win a fight. The original reason no longer means anything to them. All that matters to them is winning for the sake of winning. Edited by SnarkyArky
  • Like 4

I'm going to editorialize for just a moment. First of all, I don't see every post. If you report something from a member who doesn't need approval, I'm more likely to see it. ...But I think it's important to be charitable with one another. Only report things that rise to a reportable offense. That line will differ between members, but there is a line. The upshot, however, is that I mostly see posts by new (or newly posting) members of the forum. When I've gone through quickly, I've seen that most of the posts are actually pretty respectful even if clearly typed with some heat and passion. Fair enough.

Remember, after this game is done, we're going to have more games and hopefully a lot more from Obsidian. The person fighting on the 'other side' right now might very well be the person backing your side in the next big fight. Don't let this become an all out war. If you get to where you're seeing red, take a break. Look at other threads. Play the game. Talk to the spouse. Play with the kids. Have a bite to eat (or a beer if you're of age and so inclined). Then, when you're not so heavily invested, come back and rejoin the discussion.

Anyhow, I was originally surprised at how rancorous people were on this issue, but now I'm surprised that it has really actually remained pretty civil all things considered. Congrats, Obsidz forumites! Good for you!

I hate to say this but it really doesn't make me want to play the game I backed anymore. Or any of them. 

• Like 5

My God. You all sound like some snobbish customer who indignantly declares they'll never, ever support Starbucks because someone forgot to put whipped cream in their drink -- as if their lack of support or immature foot stomping should be noted around the world despite the fact that it's nonsensical garbage.

Get over it and stop acting like entitled brats. The poem was transphobic. It was homophobic. And you're right -- it wasn't a "big deal." So why can't it just be changed? It doesn't affect you. It doesn't affect the integrity of the game. There wasn't a drop in the game's quality. This wasn't a hurried patch that tarnished the balance or awkwardly rewrote the story. It was a poem that was offensive towards a group that has been systematically put down and explicitly targeted by cruelty and inhumane acts. Something tells me -- maybe the fact that everyone here has a brash, unfounded sense of entitlement and outright pathetic propensity to think their hateful white male agenda is more important than others' safety and comfort -- that this change isn't going to influence your life or your decisions in any particular way. But the poem's hurtful message -- purposeful or not -- certainly could have its affect on a young trans person or someone struggling with any degree of fluidity in their gender or sexuality. On a Leelah Alcorn whose life is surrounded by hate directed at trans and gay people.

Is it small? Yes. But people have every right to be upset about the message the poem conveyed. 

And Jesus Christ, it's a goddamn limerick. The fact that you're up in arms about preserving a few transphobic lines is very telling of the gaming community's propensity for things like the miserably hateful storm that is #gamergate.

If you want to protest something, get off your high horse and find something to protest for that matters. You know -- like fighting for the human rights of people who are treated like subhuman trash by our society.

Edited by Lasci
  • Like 4

I'm not sure wether to laugh or cry when I see people using the "SJW" acronym. For one, it only shows how fast people are to grab on to propaganda. Secondly, it makes me wonder if they ever consider how much ****tier their lives would be without this horrible horrible concept known as social justice.

"Social Justice" began as the name of an anti-semite publication in the 1920s US. Coming from a family with no shortage of Jewish ancestors, I can say my life would be a lot better without it.

Yeah,,, I think you need to look a bit farther back. And I doubt the term SJWs suggests they're readers of that particular publication.

So I'm torn on the issue but I also wanna put in my input. This turned into a giant ass wall no one will probably read, but I wanna post it all the same:

I'm torn because it's no secret I'm a GamerGate supporter. Yes, let's not deny the elephant in the room: this is GamerGate vs. SJWs, the same story we've heard for 8 months. (really that long now? Jesus) However, I also think that GamerGate must reflect on itself and realize that threatening Obsidian for caving makes the non-censorship side just as ridiculous and childish as those who demanded it's removal and freaked out. It's also simple fact that we do not fully know Obsidian's motivations here. We do not know if the limerick was something Obsidian overlooked while processing backer reward submissions and only later realized they take offense to it personally of their own accord, or if this is something truly sparked by the tweets. I sympathize with people's desires to put two and two together, but it's somewhat unfair to do so. This would be different if the limerick were something directly spouted from Durance or another Pillars character, making it painfully clear an Obsidian employee wrote it, but unfortunately it's skewed here. I'd urge people to calm the hell down and wait to hear Obsidian out, which is exactly what I've been doing.....not that it helps. There's an angry mob forming essentially, and any posts I've made on a certain subreddit discussing this matter just get downvoted to oblivion for even suggesting people put the pitchforks down and wait on a comment....something for which I'm quite disappointed in Gamergate aswell.

But I also would be lying to myself if I denied that seeing this news hurt. I honestly wasn't expecting this, or at least to see it happen like this. If there was a change, I expected we'd see an announcement in advance and not after-the-fact. I mean the replacement limerick is quite good and I actually think this could've been LOADS less painful had an announcement simply been made upfront to highlight it's change and how that happened.

I also have to reflect and realize that....New Vegas was my favorite game of all time, and New Vegas ended with one character: Ulysses. Ulysses is a man written by Obsidian employees and a character who is big on symbolism. He lambasts the Courier for not reading into his own actions enough and understanding the ramnifications they hold. He accuses the Courier of negligence, of acting before realizing what consequences his actions may have.

A part of me has to reflect on that and expect the same from Obsidian. Quite frankly Obsidian, the very people who called for this thing to be removed will do you no favors. This is admittedly a bit of a situation where a group is being lumped into one instead of treated like individuals, but you do realize the very side calling for the limerick to be removed would also be the side that overall (overall being the keyword there since of course individuals will have individual opinions deviating from the norm of the group) voices support for Anita Sarkeesian....yknow, the critic who has a video up criticizing your game (Fallout New Vegas) and merely including it as cannon fodder for her "women as backround decoration" video? .....Blatantly LYING about how women in New Vegas lack depth and how there's no consequence for killing any prostititutes within the game? This is the group you just appealed to. This group (again keyword being group; not all individuals of said group would be guilty of this, but a significant margin would be) seems to wear being offended like a fashion statement, whether warranted or not. You have to ask yourselves what value you expect to come from trying to appeal to them. You think this would stave off criticism in the future? I doubt it...

More importantly I just have to voice how easily it is to slowly go towards censorship when trying to appease people like this. You want an example of how easily I could draw controversy to an element of Pillars? Endulge me in the wall of text below if you would, and I can highlight EXACTLY how that can happen:

You know something within Pillars of Eternity I really, REALLY don't like? That Pallegina is such a weak little nab when it comes to her being an avian godlike, being born different and looking different from others. This hits too close to home with my disability (one leg), except I was born disabled and have no shame in it. I grew up being made fun of for my disability, I grew up getting mocked, harassed or outcasted for it, because unfortunately my mother moved to a very sheltered area where I was the only physically disabled person in a town of 30,000. Everyone was more or less the same, except for me, so the little kids didn't know how to act around me and their parents didn't know any better or know how to teach them respect. I know what it's like to be different. I had to just deal with it.

And I did. Hell, I'm almost happy it happened. I'd exhibited humor and a desire to refine a sense of humor since I could speak or manage a joke and before ever moving to this town, but please, count how many comedians you know who were bullied as children. Being bullied can do wonders for your charm, for your wit and for your ability to speak circles around anyone who wishes to make fun of you, and I'm sure being made fun of refined my ability in such things as well. Surely you know of this Obsidian, what with characters like Caesar and Durance preaching about how conflicts and flames can envoke an inner strength from you? I would never have had this opportunity were I born normally and with two legs instead of one. Aside from that, I have to highlight how I truly see no reason to be ashamed of my leg. I cannot tell you how many times friends or family will email me news about research into prosthetics or the ability to do a limb transplant, and they assume I'm gonna be super happy for that news and say "LOOK, YOU MIGHT BE NORMAL SOMEDAY!!" Why the hell would I want to be? Why would anyone think less of me for missing a limb? The only part about my leg that hurts is that it's made painfully obvious some people do think less of me when they make statements like that (and some other statements with even LESS tact, such as "do you have trouble landing a girlfriend cause of your leg?"). But do I find that warranted? Not at all. Stephen Hawking can't even wipe his own ass, and he's accomplished more in his lifetime than....well hell, you could dare argue he's at the top, with very few people able to compete with him and his accomplishments. It's because we're at a point in society where physical disabilities mean jack. Charles Darwin argued "survival of the fittest," and many people make the mistake of assuming that means fastest, strongest or smartest. No, "fittest" here means those most capable of adapting to their environment. Hawking qualifies as one of the "fittest" because he highlights the truth that these days, intelligence is what you need to survive in this world. Even so, ALL of us qualify as "fit" because all of us are surviving, as society has made doing so quite simple. Even IF you wished to frown upon my disability still.....have you not SEEN the newer prosthetics? A day will come when prosthetics are superior to actual limbs. The athletic prosthetics are already proving this as they regularly become a hot button issue for race events, since there's debate a guy missing two legs but using two athletic prosthetics has an unreasonable advantage vs. a person with two legs.

But I digress. The point with the above is that there's a parallel between a character like Pallegina and myself in that we both grew up being made fun of for being different. But that's the only thing we have in common, because while I don't consider my disability an issue despite the amount of people who to this day and to my age group of 26 now continue to think less of me over something so stupid? While I hold my head high, satisfied in knowing that I myself see no logical, objective conceivable reason to frown upon how I am, so I can safely discredit those that do as idiots?

Pallegina cries like a little b****. She complains about being born different, she'll cry about it, she loathes and laments it.  It's PAINFUL for me to listen to this, cause it's such a freaking pity party. It's like omfg suck it up. You have so many other things going for you, yet you let that one aspect of who you are rule you. You show an inability to wear it like a badge of pride and see the good in it and realize it's all quid pro quo with upsides and downsides (ironic since at one point she WILL acknowledge this and say who she is is responsible for her being allowed to do a job she loves); something I figured out in my early teens that she can't figure out as an adult. Pallegina is the type of character that would tearfully ask of God why she was born the way she was...dude if I met God I'd just jokingly ask "so what'd I do to piss you off," moreso in relation to the fact that I was born allergic to morphine and latex alongside a disability that'd demand I have several operations, not so much for the disability itself. It's GARBAGE how she acts, because I cannot feasibly see this happening with someone who grows up being different from birth. Becoming different somewhere down the line, sure, but not coming to terms with it over the course of 20+ years? GTFO.

AND YET....I am wrong in a way. People are amazing in that you can find people of every stripe. Surely someone out there would tell an opposite story, about how they were born different just like Pallegina and they too lament it, and they too have not come to terms with it. And for these reasons, they love the character and connect with it that much better. Her stroy would inspire them....and I WANT it to inspire them. I want anyone to have a chance to feel a connection and feel inspired by a story. Have I ever met such a person that would love how she is in that regard? As I said I could expect this from someone who became different in the middle of their lifetime, (became disabled, victim of one of those acid attack stories that ruined a pretty face, anything that's blatantly obvious from appearance and first glance, really) though I can't think of an example of ever meeting someone who showed these emotions despite being different from birth.

But I am not so arrogant and self-centered as to think this means such people do not exist. I am not so judgemental and shallow so as to think that anyone who grew up different, is exactly my age and doesn't exhibit the strength I do on this specific subject matter is just weaker and inferior to me; dozens of qualities and traits make up a man, and I could surely learn something else from them aswell. I am not so anxiety-ridden and so short on self-esteem that I take Pallegina's story as a personal attack on my person and who I am, I just don't like it because pity parties are a big pet peeve of mine and hers makes me groan that much more solely because I feel I relate to her situation.

Despite this, do I think I could drum up controversy if I wanted to? Absolutely. I could easily play the "WTF SAWYER, NOT ALL OF US THAT ARE BORN VISIBLY OR PHYSICALLY DIFFERENT ARE LIKE THAT, WE DON'T RUN AROUND ASKING FOR PITY LIKE YOU SEEM TO THINK WE ALL DO. EVERYONE REBLOG/RETWEET THIS TO GET THEIR ATTENTION AND FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT, HERE'S MY PATREON LINK KTHX."  You don't think that very same SJW crowd would take that bait? I'd ****ing bet my fake leg on it.

But I don't do that. Because that would mean that Sawyer's character and his desire to express himself in some way would be completely snuffed out and we'd never hear his/her story. (his/her since author is male, character female)

Stories are like people to me. You're a fool to think that you'll like all people, but that does not mean this world would be a better place if every person you didn't like dropped dead. Just because a person doesn't exhibit value to you does not mean they provide no value for others. Stories are exactly the same, as art imitates life imitates art.

This may be "just a limerick," and you may be thinking people are foolish to read THIS much into it that it got removed. In a way you're right, but again, surely you must've known something like this would happen? These forums fill up and almost crash any time this issue comes up. You can easily check 8chan or KiA and see your names on the front page the moment this issue became a thing.

What's going on is that people are second-guessing. They don't trust that this was your decision and your decision only, and wtf, they have every logical reason to do so, even if they lack sufficient evidence to definitively "convict" you, so to speak.

My advice? Make that announcement and be honest. Be respectful, but be honest. If you want to tell GamerGate you disagree with it? Do so. If you want to tell SJWs to calm the hell down? Do so. I can already hear your marketing director saying "nonononononononono dun do that," but this is the thing: GamerGate's side is not against people having opinions. GamerGate would not be against Obsidian as an entity truly caring about being sensitive to such issues and wanting to remove that stuff out of a personal interest. GamerGate's stake in this is that they feel as though you've caved when you didn't actually want to, and that the decision was cowardly, made solely by some CEO or marketing director who's interest is only in the consumer's money and not actually within integrity of the game; that the company would gladly light a baby on fire tomorrow if it seemed like that's what the people wanted, and can at any time be bought off with the proper amount or the proper pressure applied to make you second-guess if an action, gameplay snippet or message is profitable for the company. But your actual opinion...? That holds value to GamerGate, and I think they could respect it even if it disagreed....so long as it treats them with due respect back, of course.

And if your opinion is that this is stupid and you wish the SJW crowd would back off and stop policing things like this limerick? Say so. Look at the amount of people watching this topic. Look at the OVERWHELMING support for the limerick you're seeing now. These are GamerGaters. They've waited 8 months for a developer to have the balls to make a stand, and it's not happening because any CEO or marketing director is going to suggest a safe, hands-off approach. But these very same people would provide overwhelming support to any company to break this silence and voice support for them. I also would voice doubt that this issue of "transphobia" would escalate any further. I mean ffs, the guy who called it transphobic legit had misandric and neo nazi commentary on his account history, as I recall. You think your names will pop up on national news? You think this story would get that high with someone like that on the other side? Please. And if your worry is that sites like Kotaku are gonna pick up on the story, kindly visit Kotaku and check how many ads there are. It's a ghost town, because no one's reading them anymore.

Even if that doesn't convince you.....wtf guys you're OBSIDIAN!!!! ****ing google "New Vegas feminism," "New Vegas Mormon," "New Vegas LGBT." You'll see nothing but praise from feminists (the ones not after cash anyways), Mormons and gay people alike, all praising the game for presenting such characters as people rather than letting their gender, religion or sexual orientation be their defining characteristic and "personality." The blatantly obvious truth is that YOU GUYS ARE NOT TRANSPHOBIC. You could very easily ignore the complaints of this limerick and then include a transgender NPC in a future DLC or title, and just show them firsthand how humanely you can write minority groups and how respectfully you can treat them. The complaint will not hold weight or damage your image in any way because it's simply not true. It jumps to outrageous conclusions that you guys support transphobia when it's clear that's not the case.

Whatever your choice, whether you feel compelled to respond to me and tell me you think GamerGate is a flawed, reactionary movement that would do the world a favor if it died off, or if you want to let people know you guys didn't actually enjoy removing that limerick...just say so. Because I truly believe that's what people actually want right now: they want transparency and they want honesty, not neccesarily a hivemind adherence to whatever it is we want. We just want to see that companies can think for themselves and that they won't mindlessly sell out to the first potential threat to come along, because unfortunately there's a LOT of threats going around these days and that will quickly end poorly if this is the case.

I'll be patiently awaiting the backer announcement clarifying how and why this move was done, let's hope people can put down the pitchforks until then and hear you guys out.....though let's not kid ourselves, they're not gonna do that. :p

• Like 7

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Yeah not for me though. I was always a supporter of Obsidian games I own Alpha Protocol like 3 times because I thought it was a great but flawed game.  I was already really upset about ubisoft censoring South Park in Germany  but luckily I got hold of the US version and played it through VPN.  Otherwise I would have never bought it.

But know they edited content because of this and this is where I draw a line and I honestly wish I could get a refund´and they delete my game from my Steam account.  I lost every reason to play more of this game because I despise such a thing no matter how small it might be. 

• Like 1

There are backers that were in favor of this, who wanted this. What makes your demands more important than theirs? And how is what they're doing censorship but what you're threatening not?

Funny thing is no 'SJWs' called for a boycott. Just you. They wanted to talk to the devs, and they did.

Wrong: Feminist Frequency member called for such a boycott.  But hey... have fun we now life in a world in which people can censor and mute other people through twitter because they do not like things.

And you know what. It is really funny that a pizzeria in Indiana who got threaten by these people know has raised almost 1 million to support them. Talk about backlash.

If it's true that "we now live in a world in which people can censor and mute other people through twitter" then how is... this... still a thing? Surely the dreaded SJWs would've silenced the whole lot of you by now through their nefarious machinations/prodigious Twitter use.

Yay, caving in to the demands of those that most likely didn't even buy the game.

??? but I bought it a year ago? and I'm sure many other "sjw" people also bought it and maybe even backed it during the original kickstarter campaign. and even more people will buy the game now that they know Obsidian listens to their fans.

"play the game"..

well I had plans getting it, not so much anymore..

They didn't need to talk to the Devs. There was nothing wrong with the content to begin with. So no the Social Warriors started it, as usual...

• Like 1

@Lasci

Did you seriously just call people not choosing their sexual preferences "homophobic"?

THAT is homophobic. 100%. Not even joking.

Why do you feel "trans" inviduals need more protection (from mere words!) than anyone offended by

Some levels depict chamber floors covered in large pools of blood. During the course of the game, players can interact and purchase services from a prostitute—no sexual act is ever depicted. The dialogue can also reference sexual material (e.g., “The prostitute holds her hips, thrusting her chest forward as you come near her” and “But if he spreads a rumor that her lover has just visited a brothel and acquired a pox on his loins, she'll end it on her own.'). The word “f**k” appears in dialogue.

?

Do you think they really are completely and utterly mentally unstable and should be confined to a padded room for their own protection?

Edited by deuxhero
Never negotiate. You will only encourage more acts of terror.

There is fight already going on. And the sides are those for freedom of expression and accountability. And those who want to deliver their narrative and benefit their privileged circles. I know which side I support and it seems that Obsidian choose the wrong side.  It's already long fight and it isn't dying down. They could have let the storm weather over, but now they have to endure the consequences of their actions. I don't believe those people who advocate for censorship will ever join in the fight for good things for industry.

• Like 8

The chasm between Japanese devs and western ones widens every day. Hideki Kamiya would've laughed and blocked this hate-mongering tranny lunatic right away. When SJW went after Hideo Kojima over Quiet he responded with a frankly chilling remark about how they would be ashamed of themselves by the time MGSV came out and said nothing else on the matter. Why do western devs always capitulate right away whenever a professional victim comes screeching to their door?

• Like 12

What a silly argument. There were backers that were and still are against it. Boycotting =/= censorship, although it's often used in an attempt to achieve the same result - Force developers to change their work. 

I highly doubt that is the case since boycotting is something that gets thrown around like mud in these kinds of "debates". 

Edited by ChipMHazard

I can't even begin to describe how dissapointed I am. The person who first brought attention to this "issue" is a hateful individual who cares about nothing but creating hate campaigns. I've said it once, and I'll say it again -- and it really pains me to say it. Obsidian, you have *no ****ing spine*. I'm not going to support your next game in any way.

• Like 5