When there's a chance it will hurt Obsidian's image. As has always been the case. This is a business decision, that's how business work.

Obsidian is not part of your wierd outrage vs. outrage trip.

By caving to a very small group of professionally offended people, they piss off even more people.  The perpetually outraged people that started this will still be outraged, because that is their default position.  By caving, they anger a new set of people.   In what universe does this make business sense?

• Like 6

The thing that pisses me off the most is that PoE STILL has major bugs even after this patch.

I want you to tell me with a straight face this was more important than every single bug in the game. Make video telling me this with a straight face Sawyer!

• Like 2
Never negotiate. You will only encourage more acts of terror.

I'm looking forwars to a petition requiring Obsidian to have at least five rapes that serve no purpose to the story per game for the requisite "edgyness."

You wanna boycott, I wanna know what the demands are, and how you'll know Obsidian has fulfilled them.

Edited by Arouet

Wait, so the occasions when the violent rape text is mandatory to sit through to progress the game are okay but a bit of a silly poem isn't?

*takes notes*

Don't forget dead baby jokes are ok as well!

Edited by mindswayer
  • Like 3

I hate Unity.

Wait, so the occasions when the violent rape text is mandatory to sit through to progress the game are okay but a bit of a silly poem isn't?

*takes notes*

This is something I don't understand either. This game has no lack of dark content. Yet an optional text on a wall in a relatively obscure area is the only thing that was found to be offensive?

• Like 9

Firstly I'm of the understanding that referring to a trans woman as 'really a man' is 100% not cool.

Secondly I'm a backer and I thought the joke was kind of ****ty. It's a small thing, as people have pointed out, so it should not be a big deal to remove it or replace it. 

I really don't understand why people are getting so butthurt about this, it's sad.  

Whether it is ****ty or not is a matter of opinion. Whatever your feelings might be toward it, it doesn't give you the right to demand it removed. And people are getting so butthurt because there's a group of people on the internet right now, which thinks that their feelings are a perfectly fine excuse to go and bully everyone to remove everything they don't agree with. Surely, you can see why not a lot of people appreciate this?

It's interesting to note that as soon as Josh saw it he referred to it as something at least he didn't want in the game. 

So who is making unreasonable demands of the developers creative freedom?

My personal feelings is that this is just such a small thing that I really don't see the fuss either way but it's easy for me to say that I guess. I've read that 1 in 12 transexual women (using the term to disinguish) are murdered, 1 in 8 if you are a woman of colour. Imagine if someone came and told you those odds. So I don't know, I'm torn. Maybe we shouldn't let small things slide, maybe this is a fuss over nothing. Frankly I'd rather Obsidian just continue to make great games. I've defended the game everywhere I've seen this written about, maybe that's what we all should be focusing on, helping the game do well.  

Those statistics are bogus.  Nowhere near the actual numbers.  Just like many other shocking bogus statistics people use to try and support their position.  Transsexual individuals do have a higher murder rate than the general population but transsexuals individuals are also more likely to be involved in prostitution, and prostitutes have a higher murder rate than the general population.

That isn't even relevant, because this limerick in no way encourages people to go murder transsexuals.  It is only one possible interpretation that the original epitaph was even talking about a transsexual.  Besides a person has every right to be offended if they have found that a transsexual has slept with them without disclosing the fact that they were transsexual.  The majority of the male population would have a problem with that.  To claim that it is a transphobic or bigoted position to feel that way is not correct.

This epitaph was not getting anybody killed.  It was not hateful, intolerant, bigoted, advocating for discrimination, or otherwise abusive or demeaning.  I could see how a transperson might be annoyed or mildly offended at seeing that joke yet again (it is one of the more common representations of transsexual people in media) but at the same time you have a segment of the transsexual community who feel that it is perfectly acceptable to sleep with someone or have a romantic relationship with them without disclosing that they are transsexuals.  It is a thing that happens and it is entirely acceptable to make jokes about it or comment about it.  People being mildly offended over a joke, especially when most of the people being offended are being offended for ideological reasons instead of genuinely feeling hurt by it, is not a good enough reason to exclude it.

If you excluded every joke that caused some offense you had better be prepared to take a whole lot of those backer epitaphs out of the game and not just this one.  I wouldn't be surprised if some people started putting together a list of backer content that could be found objectionable or offensive to someone just to show the irrationality of it all.

Edited by darkpatriot
  • Like 6

The new one pretty much a clever MIDDLE FINGER to those that complained about the original one. I like it.

However, in the future. IGNORE THE CONSOLIDATED OUTRAGE INDUSTRY. You will lose customers otherwise, it is pretty much a guarantee.

• Like 13

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

From the Kickstarter update:

Backer Content
It's come to our attention that a piece of backer-created content has made it into Pillars of Eternity that was not vetted. Once it was brought to our attention, it followed the same vetting process as all of our other content. Prior to release, we worked with many of our backers to iterate on content they asked to be put into the game that didn't strike the right tone.
In the case of this specific content, we checked with the backer who wrote it and asked them about changing it. We respect our backers greatly, and felt it was our duty to include them in the process. They gave us new content which we have used to replace what is in the game. To be clear, we followed the process we would have followed had this content been vetted prior to the release of the product.
We appreciate the faith you have all given us into making Pillars of Eternity the great game that it has become, and we appreciate the strength of conviction all of you bring to every conversation we have together.
Sincerely,
Feargus Urquhart, CEO 
Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.

So this wasn't vetted, but some of the attrotiously written scenes and characters that don't fit the game at all were?

Some vetting process you have there Urquhart.

• Like 4

Backer Content
It's come to our attention that a piece of backer-created content has made it into Pillars of Eternity that was not vetted. Once it was brought to our attention, it followed the same vetting process as all of our other content. Prior to release, we worked with many of our backers to iterate on content they asked to be put into the game that didn't strike the right tone.
In the case of this specific content, we checked with the backer who wrote it and asked them about changing it. We respect our backers greatly, and felt it was our duty to include them in the process. They gave us new content which we have used to replace what is in the game. To be clear, we followed the process we would have followed had this content been vetted prior to the release of the product.
We appreciate the faith you have all given us into making Pillars of Eternity the great game that it has become, and we appreciate the strength of conviction all of you bring to every conversation we have together.
Sincerely,
Feargus Urquhart, CEO 

Congratulations, Obsidian, you've lost a sale.  I used to really like you guys.  You caved to the perpetually offended, and they will now smell blood.  Everything you create from here on out will be done with "Will this incite a twitter mob?  Best leave it out."

You are destroying games.

• Like 4

I'm looking forwars to a petition requiring Obsidian to have at least five rapes that serve no purpose to the story per game for the requisite "edgyness."

Do you even listen to yourself? What the hell does that have to do with the topic at hand?

• Like 3

I hate Unity.

To people wondering why this is seen as a big deal for some people, let me clarify why (At least why it's important for me): 

There now rests a shadow over the developers, watching their every move. They will now have to write content while keeping this ever watchful presence in mind. I feel sad for developers whom get caught up in all of this nonsense since it makes their job needlesly harder. 

How will this affect future content? Will the tone of the game become lighter as a result? Was this a strategic descision to appease one person while hoping that any future content will go unnoticed by similar people?

Edited by ChipMHazard
  • Like 8

The thing a lot of you are missing is that it's a joke about a situation that often ends, not in suicide, but in a woman being murdered. And often times, at least in America, the killer getting away with it. There's serious bigotry involved with the situation, including the very idea that transwomen are men trying to trick you instead of, y'know, women.

Now, the backer probably didn't intend any of that. But that doesn't change the connotations of the joke. It added nothing to the game, makes light of deadly bigotry, and is insulting to a marginalized group. Why defend that?

Then start by being angry at Eric: the man who calls for all men, logically including those like him, to be murdered!

I have no idea who Eric is, but the woman who first brought up this whole thing has indeed joked with "Kill all men." Very clearly joked. Are you seriously using that as an attack? Because that's... pretty darn hilarious, actually.

It's like when I got called a eugenicist for doing a joke bit pretending to be an old-timey scientist. For someone so adamantly defending an offensive piece of humor, you really should pay more attention to what is and isn't serious!

No, sadly the woman who brought up this whole thing wasn't joking. She is a manhater/misandrist. She has verified this as clear as day several times because indeed most peoples initial reaction is "surely this is a joke?".

The character of the person who wrote the complaint doesn't have any relevance regarding whether the joke in the game was okay or not. It wouldn’t make the joke any better or worse if Hitler himself complained about it.

What a shame. I didn't know being close to bankruptcy also took your guts away.... I am not mad, just very disappointed. You gave them the inch Obsidian. Don't come complaining when they come back to take the Mile out of your ass....

• Like 5

Well, I can't say I'm happy it came to this.

All I wanted was a new baldur's gate, with the humor that came with it. But all I can say now is that I am very disappointed.

Where will this culture of outrage and over-thinking end? Hopefully, it will be soon.

Ok since Obsidian removed the context. Anyone up for modding it in again? I really suck at such things but would really appreciate if someone could uncensor this game again. 

• Like 2

Backer Content
Sincerely,
Feargus Urquhart, CEO 

So, nothing new at all? What is even the purpose of that post? Doesn't even give any new info whatsoever.

I hate Unity.

You wanna boycott, I wanna know what the demands are, and how you'll know Obsidian has fulfilled them.

Please seek out a qualified mental health professional.

• Like 2

For Firedorn all the Lads grieve

This Adam woke up next to Eve.

But beneath leaves of Fig,

He found Berries and Twig,

So Himself off a cliff he did heave.

*takes notes*

This is something I don't understand either. This game has no lack of dark content. Yet an optional text on a wall in a relatively obscure area is the only thing that was found to be offensive?

You seem to be operating under the assumption that the people complaining about it have actually played the game.

• Like 9

Backer Content
Sincerely,
Feargus Urquhart, CEO 

Oh no! It's Obsidian! They were the SJWs all along.

Actually, after New Vegas, this doesn't really surprise me. Unfortunately, this does mean Obsidian's reputation for buggy releases get reinforced when their QA department didn't even catch a bit of text.

Change lyrics now.  

Out on the wiley, windy moors
We'd roll and fall in green.
You had a temper like my jealousy:
Too hot, too greedy.
How could you leave me,
When I needed to possess you?
I hated you. I loved you, too.

Bad dreams in the night.
They told me I was going to lose the fight,
Leave behind my wuthering, wuthering
Wuthering Heights.

Heathcliff, it's me--Cathy.
Come home. I'm so cold!
Let me in-a-your window.

Come home. I'm so cold!
Let me in-a-your window.

Ooh, it gets dark! It gets lonely,
On the other side from you.
I pine a lot. I find the lot
Falls through without you.
I'm coming back, love.
Cruel Heathcliff, my one dream,
My only master.

Too long I roam in the night.
I'm coming back to his side, to put it right.
I'm coming home to wuthering, wuthering,
Wuthering Heights,

Come home. I'm so cold!
Let me in-a-your window.

Come home. I'm so cold!
Let me in-a-your window.

Ooh! Let me have it.
Let me grab your soul away.
Ooh! Let me have it.
Let me grab your soul away.
You know it's me--Cathy!

Come home. I'm so cold!
Let me in-a-your window.

Come home. I'm so cold!
Let me in-a-your window.

Come home. I'm so cold!

I'm not sure wether to laugh or cry when I see people using the "SJW" acronym. For one, it only shows how fast people are to grab on to propaganda. Secondly, it makes me wonder if they ever consider how much ****tier their lives would be without this horrible horrible concept known as social justice.

• Like 1

Backer Content
Sincerely,
Feargus Urquhart, CEO 

Oh no! It's Obsidian! They were the SJWs all along.

Actually, after New Vegas, this doesn't really surprise me. Unfortunately, this does mean Obsidian's reputation for buggy releases get reinforced when their QA department didn't even catch a bit of text.

And gives higher priority to changing paid content than actual bugs.

• Like 1

Backer Content
Sincerely,
Feargus Urquhart, CEO 

Wow that reads like any politician covering their failed election promises.

• Like 4

There are backers that were in favor of this, who wanted this. What makes your demands more important than theirs? And how is what they're doing censorship but what you're threatening not?

Funny thing is no 'SJWs' called for a boycott. Just you. They wanted to talk to the devs, and they did.