We will be addressing this in a backer update.

We did not remove the backer's memorial. It is now in Woodend Plains (adding and removing entries can cause the memorials to change locations). We worked in concert with the backer on the issue.

Again, when the update goes out you will have a full explanation of the situation.

Yeah, but who contacted who? Was the backer who said "alright guys, I'll change it" or was it Obsidian who contacted him asking him to submit another tombstone text?

To be honest, even though I'm no one here other than a fan, I'd actually like to see proof of these communications at this point.

How am I supposed to back a kickstarter project in the future when you guys just decided to change a backer-submitted text because one guy complained on twitter? Is that really how it's supposed to go?

• Like 5

I hate Unity.

Firstly I'm of the understanding that referring to a trans woman as 'really a man' is 100% not cool.

Wait what? Trans woman? Is it a woman? What Is a "trans woman" ?

• Like 1

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

Still, it is somewhat disappointing that Obsidian listned to some internet trolls who porbably not going to play PoE anyway, instead of people who actually care about them and their work. Even if it wasn't outright removed, it still kinda sucks in my opinion.

Just to check: You have fully realized that the new joke makes fun of the outrage/sjw's, right?

• Like 2

Would have donated to the next Kickstarter, but now I'm going to actively try to stop people from doing it. Why the ever loving hell would ANYONE spend hundreds of dollars a year in advance, on a product nobody can be certain of the quality of, if all it takes is a man who clearly and visibly advocates genocide complaining to change their promised reward?

The most outraging thing about this however is that PoE is far, FAR from bug free. THIS is what gets priority? The complaints of a man that's offended that men exist?

Goodbye Obsidian, I have actively defended you in the past, but not anymore. Better hope the crazy dudes were well worth it (protip: They won't be).

(You've also done jack **** to protect "trans" individuals either Sawyer: You've just reinforced to everyone who saw you put Eric, who proudly chanted "kill all men" not merely once, but DOZENS of times even reafirming this desire while he was being highlighted by you, on a pedastool. You've done exactly what I would do if I wanted to dedicate time to inspiring hatred of those people!)

Edited by deuxhero
  • Like 3
Never negotiate. You will only encourage more acts of terror.

Firstly I'm of the understanding that referring to a trans woman as 'really a man' is 100% not cool.

Secondly I'm a backer and I thought the joke was kind of ****ty. It's a small thing, as people have pointed out, so it should not be a big deal to remove it or replace it. 

I really don't understand why people are getting so butthurt about this, it's sad.  

Whether it is ****ty or not is a matter of opinion. Whatever your feelings might be toward it, it doesn't give you the right to demand it removed. And people are getting so butthurt because there's a group of people on the internet right now, which thinks that their feelings are a perfectly fine excuse to go and bully everyone to remove everything they don't agree with. Surely, you can see why not a lot of people appreciate this?

Even if the backer was ok with it, and got a refund. It WON'T be ok with Obsidian's customers.

Will I have to worry about the color purple being triggering and removed in a future game? Will Obsidian honor future backer goals? Will Obsidian even approach mature topics in the future for fear of offending people?

Imo, Obs has the right to add or subtract anything they feel is in their best business interests. :shrugz:

The "offending" memorial should have been addressed when it was submitted, not down the road when everyone craps themselves.

Agreed. Ultimately it is up to them. 

I am going to wait until we get some offcial word about the reasoning behind this removal before I pass my personal judgment on Obsidian.

If it does turn out that they removed this one memorial without giving a very compelling reason for doing so, then I will have to see it as giving into social media bullying. It would sadly set a precedent where one person can fan a controversy and have the developers give in to whatever demand they put forth Which means that backer items aren't safe from being removed i.e. censored. 

If it turns out that Obsidian forgot to go over [some of] the backer items before putting them in and the item in question, hopefully along with others in order to show consistency, simply didn't adhere to a set of rules they had in place beforehand -  Then ok.

At this point in time it does seem like Obsidian simply choose to give in so that the nutters would get off their back. But we'll see what they have to say about this.  

Compromising artistic freedom for whiny LGTB lobbies. GJ obsidian

Not even have the balls to put it in patch notes, pathetic

FARGO would have never done this !!! That's a real old school developer!

• Like 7

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

Still, it is somewhat disappointing that Obsidian listned to some internet trolls who porbably not going to play PoE anyway, instead of people who actually care about them and their work. Even if it wasn't outright removed, it still kinda sucks in my opinion.

A statement like this makes silly assumptions. I'm glad they changed it and even have no real "issue" with the slightly mocking memorial. I'm playing the crap out of this game. Steer away from this pseudo-"No True Scotsman" stuff. Doesn't really help 

Just my opinion, but I think it depends on the conversation between Obsidian and the backer. If the backer contacted Obsidian and suggested that it be changed, that's their decision and I'm okay with that. If Obsidian contacted the backer and asked if they were willing to change it, then I'm okay with that as well (still the backers decision). But if Obsidian told them they had to change it, with no choice from the backer, then I don't like that one bit.

• Like 1

Just to check: You have fully realized that the new joke makes fun of the outrage/sjw's, right?

But the original was still removed. So who's really laughing? :) I would've preferred the original to stay as it was.

Good work, Obsidian. Reading the outrage from these basement-dwellers shows you made the right decision.

Their pseudo-integrity is always a shield for their hate.

I find the term "basement-dwellers" offensive. I dont have a basement. Obsidian please remove this disgusting attack on harmless, subterranean denizens. They shouldnt be attacked for their alternate, sun fearing lifestyle.

• Like 5

Even if the backer was ok with it, and got a refund. It WON'T be ok with Obsidian's customers.

Will I have to worry about the color purple being triggering and removed in a future game? Will Obsidian honor future backer goals? Will Obsidian even approach mature topics in the future for fear of offending people?

Imo, Obs has the right to add or subtract anything they feel is in their best business interests. :shrugz:

The "offending" memorial should have been addressed when it was submitted, not down the road when everyone craps themselves.

Agreed. Ultimately it is up to them. 

I am going to wait until we get some offcial word about the reasoning behind this removal before I pass my personal judgment on Obsidian.

If it does turn out that they removed this one memorial without giving a very compelling reason for doing so, then I will have to see it as giving into social media bullying. It would sadly set a precedent where one person can fan a controversy and have the developers give in to whatever demand they put forth Which means that backer items aren't safe from being removed i.e. censored. 

If it turns out that Obsidian forgot to go over [some of] the backer items before putting them in and the item in question, hopefully along with others in order to show consistency, simply didn't adhere to a set of rules they had in place beforehand -  Then ok.

At this point in time it does seem like Obsidian simply choose to give in so that the nutters would get off their back. But we'll see what they have to say about this.  

It wasn't removed. It was changed.

1428095795392.jpg

Now whether the backer contacted them and requested it to be changed, or Obsidian pressured the backer we don't know, but the backer's entry wasn't actually removed.

Can someone provide or point me to a Reader's Digest version summary of this apparent controversy?

My immediate and admittedly uninformed opinion is that removing something this bit of poetry(?) for fear of giving offense is probably an overreaction and that the reaction to this overreaction is probably a mindbogglingly over-the-top overreaction. But like I said, I'm not very well informed about the topic and would like to get up to speed.