I have personality disorder, Aloth offends me.

Remove him or else.

Weren't you one that in earlier topic asked Obsidian to make changes how wizards work because you didn't like how they worked? And now you are offended when somebody else asked them to make changes in their game and they did? I am bit confused why you think that one change is against all the morals and other is just good service.

:blink:

game balance concerns =/= catering to annoying internet SJW fad concerns

Game content is game content regardless of how it is used in the game. If you don't like how gameplay works and want changes it is not any different than not like some writing in game and asking to change it. In both cases you don't like work that Obsidian has put out and want to them change it.

And it was backer of game that asked change in that memorial because she felt that it was offensive towards her.

I just don't see why it needed to be changed in the first place.

What, because a bunch of idiots misread it and complained?

What are we going to change next in the game because Twitter has a bug up it's ass?

• Like 11

Why do u guys ever care the slightest ?

First u complain there are too many backers things in your game and now u complain that Obsidian decided to remove some backer content.

Just ... play your game and chillax .... 8)

Why do people care? Because this reflects poorly upon the integrity of the writers of the story - If they bow down to such a pitiful and fundamentally flawed complaint, there's little hope for any wit and interesting dialogue in the future content (Remember that Expansion they've pledged to do?)

How is this worse? It makes fun of the people that were too offended (misread/they called for blood) and it was most likely submitted by the same backer after they asked him to change it. (Considering its very similiar in style)

I see a game that shows off people hanging from trees, infants being killed because they are "wrong" (infaticide) - making fun of people who have split personalities. And that's just the first couple of minutes of the first proper introduction of the game.

It was a harmless joke that had nothing to do with transphobia in any way. Changing it just proves it was deliberate and that they've bowed to a fundamentally flawed complaint - Which is hilariously ironic given some much more serious complaints people could make about the setting and content...

• Like 7

Do you know for certain that

a) Obsidian, and not the backer, initiated this change?

b) That the backer was not consulted?

Because if you do not know for certain, then this post is just needlessly inflammatory.

Don't even get me started on your use of the word "terrorist"...

• Like 4

What C2B said.

I'm actually okay with the new one. It's sassy.

I'm fine with the new one too especially if it was done by the backer as well.

It's not the problem for me though. The fact that some lunatics on twitter, some of  who advocate all manner of crazy stuff such as killing every man alive, managed to cry loudly enough that Obsidian changed a backers contribution (which wasn't "transphobic" in the least I might add)  THAT is the problem I have and will take away from this.

As an aside, its nice to see my assertion that once the issue came up that some group of people would be disappointed with whatever action Obsidian took is borne out.

Don't Change the Text:

"Obsidian supports hate against people! I'll never buy again!"

Change the Text:

"Obsidian supports twitter mob social justice irrationality! I'll never buy again!"

I admit, most of my sympathy is for the backer who probably didn't realize he'd just walked on a landmine when he wrote that text, and Obsidian who basically can't win in this scenario since everyone is so polarized.

• Like 6

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

To be honest the people screaming censorship and threatening to never buy or back an Obsidian game again are just as extreme and silly as the people who complained in the first place.

The only person who could be legitimately angry about this entire issue is the backer who paid for it. Provided he was involved in the decision who the hell cares? It's between Obsidian and that specific backer, and has no bearing on the games plot.

• Like 3

If this is true, I will do my best - however small of an effect that will have - to undermine everything Obsidian does, forever, at least financially. Because this is just unacceptable on so many different levels it's crazy. Caving to the frivolous demands of lunatics that have turned the act of being offended into a for-profit artform is just.. wow.

I think it's pretty weak of OEI to change it (though I do like the new rhyme) but this quote is just amusing to me (bolded parts for emphasis).

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

It was changed

And this thing went from bad to worse... Oh boy.

Well - I'm grateful I never backed this with more than the minimum required for the basegame. I feel so bad for the people who spent hundreds or more, only to be shat on.

Maybe you should check to see if the backer agreed to the change before you go off the deep end?

If the backer is ok with it, good for him.  Its still not ok with me.

What happened here was that Obsidian allowed a tiny number of twitter losers to edit content in their game.  In *my* game.  This is unacceptable.

This is a big game with a lot of 'mature' themes and a wide range of potentially offensive actions available to the player.  Some people will be offended by one or more of these themes and the actions the player can take, or the actions of others in the story.  So what?  Offended people have a choice.  Buy the game or don't.  Consume the content or don't.  Obsidian is letting the offended make that choice for everyone, and that is wrong.  And ****ing stupid.

Yes, but here's the thing. If the backer requested it to be changed then Obsidian is basically obligated to comply, regardless of the devs' political leanings or views on censorship. He/she paid for the tier and gets to decide what he/she wants to do with it. Yes, it sucks that random people on the internet can sway people's opinions, but from a business perspective Obsidian needs to listen to their backers, and if that's what happened then that's what they did.

If the backer is ok with it, good for him.  Its still not ok with me.

What happened here was that Obsidian allowed a tiny number of twitter losers to edit content in their game.  In *my* game.  This is unacceptable.

This is a big game with a lot of 'mature' themes and a wide range of potentially offensive actions available to the player.  Some people will be offended by one or more of these themes and the actions the player can take, or the actions of others in the story.  So what?  Offended people have a choice.  Buy the game or don't.  Consume the content or don't.  Obsidian is letting the offended make that choice for everyone, and that is wrong.  And ****ing stupid.

It's not *your* game. It's Obsidian's game and they decide what content goes in it. They decided they wanted to remove a transphobic joke, so they did. Get over it. 

You mean he.

Purposely misgendering people is disgusting. 

• Like 1

For now just take it easy and stop pouring foul on the fire. 

The fire needs to burn.  The fire needs to burn hot enough that people don't get away with this again.

Easy there basement dweller.

If this is true, I will do my best - however small of an effect that will have - to undermine everything Obsidian does, forever, at least financially.

And how exactly is this a more reasonable reaction than the one of the people that were offended by the original poem? It's precisely the same kind of reactionist BS. Some people... 

Also, the poem was only altered, not removed (see C2B's post), and it's still pretty funny...

• Like 1

As an aside, its nice to see my assertion that once the issue came up that some group of people would be disappointed with whatever action Obsidian took is borne out.

Don't Change the Text:

"Obsidian supports hate against people! I'll never buy again!"

Change the Text:

"Obsidian supports twitter mob social justice irrationality! I'll never buy again!"

I admit, most of my sympathy is for the backer who probably didn't realize he'd just walked on a landmine when he wrote that text, and Obsidian who basically can't win in this scenario since everyone is so polarized.

Don't know, they could/should have just ignored it.

The attention span of the SJW twitter crowd is really short, they keep finding new things to be triggered by.

Left it as it were and would have been forgotten in 2 weeks tops. Now they'll be another dev that caved to the crazy mob.

• Like 3

I hope that the old poem is someday restored, while being paired with the new one.  Maybe for a GOTY edition of the game?  Hopefully, the SJWs would have abandoned Pillars once they figure out that the game wasn't built for them.  Come on, we got a tree of dead people and infantcide.  This game was not meant to be politically correct.

• Like 1

1. It wasn't removed. It's just now at the very end of the memorials

2. It was changed to a joke about the whole situation (probably by the backer himself)

"Here lies Firedorn, a bard, a poet

He was also a card, but most didn't know it

A poem he wrote in jest was misread

They asked for blood, so now he's just dead"

Which is actually pretty funny, if you think about it. I'm ok with this

• Like 13

They didn't remove the entry, btw. It's at the very end of the backer memorial now.

Is that the new entry or the old one?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands