Did the backer at least get his $500 back before Obsidian caved to terrorists?

Didn't even put it in the patch notes, how cowardly.

https://twitter.com/ExcaliburLost/status/584074243048112128

Cant EDIT: I'm not censoring folks. As long as your post doesn't break guidelines, they'll be approved, heated or not. ...But let's keep this to one thread. New threads on the subject will be locked or merged with one thread.

• Like 8

Allegations are being made online that Obsidian went ahead and removed the $500 backer's memorial w/o mentioning it in the patch notes.

Please see: https://twitter.com/ExcaliburLost/status/584074243048112128

Again, this is just an allegation. Could Obsidian please confirm?!

I certainly don't want to jump the gun - but if true - it is a very sad day for creative freedom and content.. and likely the last I'll be enjoying Obsidian titles. 

• Like 12

His memorial was probably one of the cleverest ones included in the game. A pity, if true. He should get more than a refund... he should get free Obsidian games for the rest of his life if this is how he is being treated.

• Like 13

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

If this is indeed true i am utterly disappointed.

Censoring something that is not even offensive to begin with just because a handful of internet trolls decided to make a rant about it, is not the way to go.

To shaft a 500$ backer who created a poem which was actually funny and fitted perfectly into this game's fantasy setting is mind boggling.

Edited by Isi1dur
  • Like 24

Like others have said, I hope that customer gets a refund.

Even if the backer was ok with it, and got a refund. It WON'T be ok with Obsidian's customers.

Will I have to worry about the color purple being triggering and removed in a future game? Will Obsidian honor future backer goals? Will Obsidian even approach mature topics in the future for fear of offending people?

• Like 15

DocDoomII, on 03 Apr 2015 - 2:09 PM, said:

These kind of drama moments are so fun to watch :popcorn:

Most likely it's just an error. Someone was editing text entries and deleted one by mistake.

They just happened to delete the one that was causing all the controversy? I have a bridge to sell you, just north of Defiance Bay. Top condition.

But seriously, Sawyer, STOP LISTENING TO NUTCASES ON TWITTER.

• Like 3

Even if the backer was ok with it, and got a refund. It WON'T be ok with Obsidian's customers.

Will I have to worry about the color purple being triggering and removed in a future game? Will Obsidian honor future backer goals? Will Obsidian even approach mature topics in the future for fear of offending people?

Imo, Obs has the right to add or subtract anything they feel is in their best business interests. :shrugz:

The "offending" memorial should have been addressed when it was submitted, not down the road when everyone craps themselves.

• Like 6

Well - There's goes Obsidian integrity. Not because of transphobic issues - But pitiful "media" attention by a few angry and confused people.

I guess this is why the writing in Pillars feels out of place - There's no soul or wit in it.

• Like 4

If this is true, I will do my best - however small of an effect that will have - to undermine everything Obsidian does, forever, at least financially. Because this is just unacceptable on so many different levels it's crazy. Caving to the frivolous demands of lunatics that have turned the act of being offended into a for-profit artform is just.. wow.

Not only was there nothing remotely offensive with it, and not only were the accusations levvied by complete and utter lunatics without even a peg-leg to stand on, and not only was it unacceptable to remove it after someone paid $500 for it, but it was genuinely one of the more appropriate memorials by far. In a sea of piss and vomit, it stood out as a funny quib that'd fit on any tombstone of old.

I hate the memorials, I really do, but if they were to be removed, it would be for the betterment of the game. This has nothing to do with making the game better. This has to do with insane people with insane agendas, pushing their insanity onto others.

• Like 21

t50aJUd.jpg

If this is correct then Obsidian chose to cave to some hateful extremists on twitter and went about it in the most underhanded way possible.

Very disappointed if this turns out to be true.

Another win for thinkskinned dramaqueens and censorship.

I feel bad for the 500$ backer.

• Like 2

Bloody disgusting. So they caved in to demands of a fraking lunatic SJW ..It's a disaster marketing wise coz lunatics are just a loud minority..And make no mistake. This joke was not "transphobic" in the slightest, it was actually ridiculing the one who commited suicide.

Suddenly I don't even feel like playing today... And I'm sure as hell won't be backing another Obsidian project.

What a shame.

• Like 8

These kind of drama moments are so fun to watch :popcorn:

Most likely it's just an error. Someone was editing text entries and deleted one by mistake.

An error that conveniently, out of all the memorials, deletes the one that a small but very loud number of people have been railing against because of percieved, phantom transphobia?

Not impossible, but a long shot away from probable.

• Like 3

Imo, Obs has the right to add or subtract anything they feel is in their best business interests. :shrugz:

The "offending" memorial should have been addressed when it was submitted, not down the road when everyone craps themselves.

Well ya, they have that right, but consumers have the right to take issue with a backer based reward getting removed after the fact. It calls into question trusting them with backer rewards in the future.

How chicken ****.  Very disappointed.

What about murdered kids?  Do you think that might offend people?  Because I guarantee you it does. Lets go ahead and remove some quests and edit the story because some people might post about it on twitter. Where does this end?  Answer: It does not.  

• Like 10

Am I able to get a refund for my $250 tier? I'm happy to mail the physical items back. I backed this to support you guys making the game you wanted to make without interference, and this is going against that to me.

• Like 9