I feel bad for the non-steam people

Well, no. Apple got rid of music DRM when they noticed their customers moving business to Amazon who never had it.

Ok, sure, Apple knew they had competition and acted accordingly. Having enough market share allowed them to negotiate successfully.

This isn't about DRM, this is about GOG's service not being remotely as mature as Steam. We'd all prefer DRM-free but, right now, if you select GOG you're doing so with the knowledge that DRM-free means you're giving up some features. One of those being expeditious patching.

I like GOG. I have many games on GOG. When the PoE expansion comes out, I'll probably buy another copy on GOG. But, right now, with patches coming out probably weekly, I don't want this game on GOG.

This is entirely about DRM. If you choose Steam when Gog is an option you are telling Steam, loud and clear, that the features are more important to you than DRM. That's fine, maybe the features are more important to you and nobody is calling you a bad person for doing that (or, at least, I'm not).

If Gog improves their service and keeps out DRM, it will be a no brainer to choose Gog. Likewise, if Steam starts feeling the competition from Gog (or someone else) they will most likely drop the DRM and they will become the obvious choice if they still have an advantage in their feature set. That's a reason to choose Gog when there is an option even though they aren't as far along with their feature set.

Obviously, YMMV and you should do whatever works for you. For me, DRM needs to die ASAP and throwing money at something means it never dies.

The major issue for me is that steam has sooooo many steam exclusive games so even if you want to go with GoG you cant as long as that remains true steam will be the go to network simply because there is no choice for many games

"dev resources", "falling all over themselves" - really?

it would simply be a matter of uploading the (already existing) patch build to MEGA or any other free filehosting service (that's what they're there for after all) and posting a link in this forum

Ironically, someone already did just that. The patch is 100MB in size and can be copied over the GOG version - with the caveat that it turns your legit DRM-free GOG installation into a cracked Steam installation.

Why can't we get an official download from Obsidian rather than forcing us into potentially illegal territory, possibly compromising our PCs in the process?

• Like 1

Just don't whine about your choice after the fact.

I don't recall whining - perhaps you're thinking of someone else.

That was directed at those actually bitching. Sorry for not making that clear.

No problem.

Speaking of clear, let's be clear that you don't actually own any software you've ever bought. You have nothing more than a license to use it, DRM or not. The only real difference is lack of DRM makes enforcing a license revocation effectively impossible.

I agree. That is the real difference.

Note that a company buying another company at a bankruptcy sale doesn't necessarily need to honor the agreements of the previous license holder. 

Personally, I feel bad for the people who feel bad for the others who don't feel bad for the ones who do feel bad for those who knew somebody who tried to buy the game on the Playstation Network, but failed.

Nobody deserves that.

• Like 3

Speaking of clear, let's be clear that you don't actually own any software you've ever bought. You have nothing more than a license to use it, DRM or not. The only real difference is lack of DRM makes enforcing a license revocation effectively impossible.

I agree. That is the real difference.

Note that a company buying another company at a bankruptcy sale doesn't necessarily need to honor the agreements of the previous license holder. 

The usage agreement is not between the license holder and the distribution platform. It's between the license holder and the user.

Distribution platform agreements are a separate issue, and publisher drama is equally likely to force either GOG or Steam to remove games from availability. This has happened in the past, but I have yet to see either of them pull access to games you've already purchased.

Let's just say that if we're betting on which platform is likely to still be around in 10 years, I'd bet on Valve's deep pockets.

The usage agreement is not between the license holder and the distribution platform. It's between the license holder and the user.

Distribution platform agreements are a separate issue, and publisher drama is equally likely to force either GOG or Steam to remove games from availability. This has happened in the past, but I have yet to see either of them pull access to games you've already purchased.

Agreed. Let's assume for the sake of discussion that neither Steam nor Gog will ever tell you that you magically don't have the rights the games you've purchased nor will a publisher or developer.   

But, if there is nobody paying to keep a license server running, for whatever reason, a DRM game stops working. Suppose, for the sake of argument, that that never happens:

.. Let's just say that if we're betting on which platform is likely to still be around in 10 years, I'd bet on Valve's deep pockets.

That might be a safe bet but it isn't the bet we're making at all. The bet is whether a game (or large library of games) will continue to run for as long as you want them to under terms you can live with. Suppose Steam and Gog both get bought out by... I don't know... Sony.

Suppose you don't like the terms of your new Sony overlords who, say, want you to keep an active credit card on file and, also say, for the sake of argument, that you don't trust them to guard your information from hackers (for no particular reason, maybe you're just paranoid or something). If you have non-DRM games you take them (or rather, you already have them) and go elsewhere. If you have DRM games, you're pretty much out of luck. It's not the end of the world, but it may be the end of your game library.

• Like 1

Hey, don't be sad. GOG'ers get a couple more days of OP Mind Blades and Chill Fog. I hear a lot of people whining and crying about how their class got nerfed, and the two big bugs in 1.02 are very easily avoidable, so it's all good.

Obviously, YMMV and you should do whatever works for you. For me, DRM needs to die ASAP and throwing money at something means it never dies.

The major issue for me is that steam has sooooo many steam exclusive games so even if you want to go with GoG you cant as long as that remains true steam will be the go to network simply because there is no choice for many games

Sure - there is more to this decision than DRM for a lot of people and, as I make a point of saying whenever this comes up, DRM might not be the most important factor to everyone.

I would point out that if you always bought non-exclusive games from a different source and told Steam you were doing that, it might help DRM go away faster. If everybody did that tomorrow DRM would vanish the day after tomorrow. 

(I assume that DRM will go away eventually when enough people get bitten by it; it's just that sooner would be better).

It's a few days... What's the feel bad about? GOG has to make sure that everything is going to work as intended. 

I still prefer GOG over Steam, especially since I have full control over whether or not I want to install a patch - Since Steam can sometimes be rather fickle when it comes to the "Don't automatically patch this game" option. 

This is just going to give the people without patches waiting for them the chances to read up on the patch before installing it. 

Edited by ChipMHazard

Hey, don't be sad. GOG'ers get a couple more days of OP Mind Blades and Chill Fog.

Bro, the last couple of years GoG has given me several games for FREE.

Fallout 1

Fallout 2

Fallout Tactics

(btw these cannot be bought on GoG anymore)

Torchlight 1

Mount and Blade

Dungeon Keeper 1

Aliens vs. Predator

Beneath a Steel Sky

+ several trash ones (but still)

THANK YOU GOG

Meanwhile, all I got from STEAM and GABEN in 10 YEARS are hemorrhoids

Edited by Luj1
  • Like 1

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

Don't feel sorry, no intention to update. No gamebreaking bugs (for me) & i don't like several changes/nerfs (why nerf the chanter? He had one single medicore chanter-specific talent, now he has one

single talent nobody will take...)

Edited by pstone

Isn't the patch breaking Savegames, Lockpicking and a lot of other stuff?

Lockpicking, apparently yes. Not sure about the rest. Heh think I'll take a pass on this patch until I read some more about and if need be they put out a hotfix. 

Good thing I'm not using Steam :p

Stop going on and on an on...like a damn Ariston washing machine Mansen.

No need for hundreds of back up saves..all the bugs are easily avoidable and worked round.  Not seen any of them myself (before I even knew about them)....which proves not everyone gets them.

You're obsessed dude.....

Just because you haven't seen (daresay noticed) your racials vanish or your NPC companion's stats suddenly skyrocketing for no apparant reason, doesn't mean they aren't happening. Fact remains that you need to make and keep a lot of separate savegames around if you want to complete the game in one go, without running into anything that can set you back noticeably or downright ruin your progression and balance of difficulty.

As for my personal writing habits, I don't see how they're relevant or any of your business, laddo. Don't like it? Don't respond. Pretty simply logic really.

Laddo? lmao....give me a break....

Maybe when you stop spouting the same rinse and repeat stuff in every thread, arguing with everyone who does not agree with you....

Laddo....*reaches for paper bag to stop himself from hyperventilating with all the laughing*

Mansen is not the only one having these bugs. Maybe you need to chill and consider yourself lucky. I needed to edit my saves twice to bypass some of these sh1t

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine