I feel bad for the non-steam people

Not to mention that Steam is full of **** now thanks to greenlight and early access.

You want to be on my PC, stealing my system resources to monitor my activity and act as a DRM?

At lest make the effort to regulate things a bit and kick in the ass shady developers. And for the love of everything unholy, make greenlight disappear.

ok ive got to agree there greenlight/early access can be a bit shady but its not like you have to buy and of the unfinished junk

Oh poor us....feel sorry for us....*plays saaaaaad violi*...oh wait...I godamn hate Steam with a passion....

You ever thought us GoG users chose GoG for a reason huh?  Why feel sorry for us?

Im curious as to why you hate steam so much care to elaborate, personally I dont buy from GoG simply because my credit card cant be used on foreign websites, I actually like GoG a lot

Speaking for myself, I don't hate Steam, but DRM needs to die.

Here's a real life example: Apple, to their credit, stopped allowing DRM in the iTunes store as soon as they had enough customers to make that demand. 

Well, no. Apple got rid of music DRM when they noticed their customers moving business to Amazon who never had it.

This isn't about DRM, this is about GOG's service not being remotely as mature as Steam. We'd all prefer DRM-free but, right now, if you select GOG you're doing so with the knowledge that DRM-free means you're giving up some features. One of those being expeditious patching.

I like GOG. I have many games on GOG. When the PoE expansion comes out, I'll probably buy another copy on GOG. But, right now, with patches coming out probably weekly, I don't want this game on GOG.

I for one don't - Steam definitely should have the same amount of QA testing that other platforms offer. All it takes is a few bad appls and you've got an entire market of people infected with something.

But Valve don't respond well to people trying to help them improve things - A dev injected code into a Steam news update a while back in an attempt to whistleblow (it was harmless and purely to show the problem). He was banned - permanently last I heard.

A developer.

What bugs me the most, is that in July I paid almost 2 times more for the game then what someone a week ago could pay for it on steam.  I thought this would give me perks, like the DRM free CD, a way to patch it, and some how I would be more valuable to the obsidian folks than someone that picked up the game right after release, and did not spend the time and money to help back the game early on.

And there are a lot of people who are waiting for the patch that paid a lot more, and have waited and followed longer than I have...it's bad to shaft the backers that helped you fund the game well before release. :/  And really if I bought the game on GoG last week I'd deal with it and be a lot more patient, but there should be an alternate download, at least for the backers.

Giving up expeditious patching?  rofl...scuse me a second while I compose myself...

*Seconds later*...

we're not all obsessed about the latest patches you know?  Suppose you let windows update whenever it likes too huh?  I'll patch it when I choose to...in no rush, game works fine for me.  No immediate I need it now patch service from GoG really...well...quite frankly I couldn't care less.

Now excuse me while I get my popcorn ready to laugh my ass off at the (probably coming soon), the patch broke my game threads ;)

• Like 1

Giving up expeditious patching?  rofl...scuse me a second while I compose myself...

*Seconds later*...

we're not all obsessed about the latest patches you know?  Suppose you let windows update whenever it likes too huh?  I'll patch it when I choose to...in no rush, game works fine for me.  No immediate I need it now patch service from GoG really...well...quite frankly I couldn't care less.

Now excuse me while I get my popcorn ready to laugh my ass off at the (probably coming soon), the patch broke my game threads ;)

that's not a bad attitude, but what about the people that cannot continue their playthrough because of on of the gamebreaking prepatch bugs? (in my case: raedric's hold crash)

i just don't get why the obsidian devs don't simply release a stand-alone installer for the update... i couldn't care less about the GoG QA, the Obsidian guys know their game and the engine much better anyway

Well, no. Apple got rid of music DRM when they noticed their customers moving business to Amazon who never had it.

Ok, sure, Apple knew they had competition and acted accordingly. Having enough market share allowed them to negotiate successfully.

This isn't about DRM, this is about GOG's service not being remotely as mature as Steam. We'd all prefer DRM-free but, right now, if you select GOG you're doing so with the knowledge that DRM-free means you're giving up some features. One of those being expeditious patching.

I like GOG. I have many games on GOG. When the PoE expansion comes out, I'll probably buy another copy on GOG. But, right now, with patches coming out probably weekly, I don't want this game on GOG.

This is entirely about DRM. If you choose Steam when Gog is an option you are telling Steam, loud and clear, that the features are more important to you than DRM. That's fine, maybe the features are more important to you and nobody is calling you a bad person for doing that (or, at least, I'm not).

If Gog improves their service and keeps out DRM, it will be a no brainer to choose Gog. Likewise, if Steam starts feeling the competition from Gog (or someone else) they will most likely drop the DRM and they will become the obvious choice if they still have an advantage in their feature set. That's a reason to choose Gog when there is an option even though they aren't as far along with their feature set.

Obviously, YMMV and you should do whatever works for you. For me, DRM needs to die ASAP and throwing money at something means it never dies.

• Like 2

that's not a bad attitude, but what about the people that cannot continue their playthrough because of on of the gamebreaking prepatch bugs? (in my case: raedric's hold crash)

i just don't get why the obsidian devs don't simply release a stand-alone installer for the update... i couldn't care less about the GoG QA, the Obsidian guys know their game and the engine much better anyway

Possibly because dev resources are not infinite and they have more critical things to deal with.

They've said from the beginning that there will be a stand-alone patching process for physical disc backers. Hardly surprising that that system is not in place yet given no discs have been sent out. Can that system be used by GOG people eventually? Maybe, but I don't think they should be falling all over themselves to cater to people who made a conscious decision to use a service with glacial patch verification.

Off topic: There is a workaround for the Raedric's Hold crash - search for it in the tech. support sub-forum if you're interested. It worked for me.

"dev resources", "falling all over themselves" - really?

it would simply be a matter of uploading the (already existing) patch build to MEGA or any other free filehosting service (that's what they're there for after all) and posting a link in this forum

Ok, sure, Apple knew they had competition and acted accordingly. Having enough market share allowed them to negotiate successfully.

This is entirely about DRM. If you choose Steam when Gog is an option you are telling Steam, loud and clear, that the features are more important to you than DRM. That's fine, maybe the features are more important to you and nobody is calling you a bad person for doing that (or, at least, I'm not).

If Gog improves their service and keeps out DRM, it will be a no brainer to choose Gog. Likewise, if Steam starts feeling the competition from Gog (or someone else) they will most likely drop the DRM and they will become the obvious choice if they still have an advantage in their feature set. That's a reason to choose Gog when there is an option even though they aren't as far along with their feature set.

Obviously, YMMV and you should do whatever works for you. For me, DRM needs to die ASAP and throwing money at something means it never dies.

Heh... it's odd that Amazon, with a much smaller market share of digital music buyers at the time, managed to negotiate DRM-free music from the beginning. Apple didn't give a sh*t about DRM until they started losing business. Let's not pretend they didn't have the clout to make it happen from the get-go if they had wanted to.

But, yes... I freely admit I'm in bed with the forces of darkness in this scenario. Sorry, I just don't care enough about DRM to opt for an inferior feature set in cases where one of those features is something I really want.

Anyway, the POINT is... do what you want. Just don't whine about your choice after the fact.

GOG has always been late on patches in comparison to Steam. Hopefully that will change when GOG releases their Galaxy platform. That should give them the same possibilities as Steam (although Valve's numbers of staff might still be an advantage since they still need to verify and test patches not causing any problems on stuff like overlay). 

Give GOG half a year and Galaxy should be ready for release. Then you'll probably see patches roll out faster on GOG. 

GOG is just fine. Waiting two days for a patch is nothing when there are so many other things to do with one's life. I do feel bad about steam-slaves that think prompt patching is crucial to their existence.

I feel bad for the "non-steam" "slaves" who think Steam is any more restrictive than any other measure of DRM in practice.

Heh... it's odd that Amazon, with a much smaller market share of digital music buyers at the time, managed to negotiate DRM-free music from the beginning. Apple didn't give a sh*t about DRM until they started losing business. Let's not pretend they didn't have the clout to make it happen from the get-go if they had wanted to.

Let's not miss the point arguing about who did what and for what reason. The point of that example wasn't why Apple did what they did. The point was what happened to anybody who bought the DRM music (and what will happen in the future to anybody who thinks that they own a DRM game).

...But, yes... I freely admit I'm in bed with the forces of darkness in this scenario.

Not at all. The situation is that you paid for Pillars of Eternity and you can continue to play it for as long as Steam continues to exist and they, or whoever ends up owning them, decides to allow to you to do so (perhaps for a nominal monthly fee or whatever ends up happening).

Of course, should the need arise, you can purchase a non DRM copy at that point so, you don't really lose much (unless you have a lot of games in your Steam library that you want to continue playing).

(Or, maybe you'll get lucky and Gog will win, buy Steam and make deals with all of the game companies allowing them to un-DRM everything.)

Anyway, the POINT is... do what you want. 

Certainly.

Just don't whine about your choice after the fact.

I don't recall whining - perhaps you're thinking of someone else.

Just don't whine about your choice after the fact.

I don't recall whining - perhaps you're thinking of someone else.

That was directed at those actually bitching. Sorry for not making that clear.

Speaking of clear, let's be clear that you don't actually own any software you've ever bought. You have nothing more than a license to use it, DRM or not. The only real difference is lack of DRM makes enforcing a license revocation effectively impossible.

Never buying anything from GOG again. I come to you with my money in good faith, giving up the conveniences of Steam, and this slow ass service is how I'm rewarded. I haven't checked but I wouldn't be surprised if the ****ing pirates manage to make an updated version available faster than the SITE I BOUGHT THE GAME FROM. With service like this you don't deserve to stay in business.

Well, looks like the patch introduced bugs with created hirelings not being able to use the Mechanics skill on locks. Also looks like there's a Concentration bug, which lowers it by 20 points. So yeah, the GOG delay may not be that big a deal after all.

it seems the GoG and Origin folks will have to wait a few more days for the patch

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/75170-patch-103-is-live-on-steam/

You feel bad for non- steam people ? Lol

Don't feel bad for us GoGers

1) The patch may have fixed some bugs, but introduced a hell of a lot new ones. None of my char can lockpick now for example

2) I want to be able to go back and revel in Firedorn Lightbringer tombstone

3) GoG is 1000x a better service than Steam

• Like 1

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

Well, looks like the patch introduced bugs with created hirelings not being able to use the Mechanics skill on locks. Also looks like there's a Concentration bug, which lowers it by 20 points. So yeah, the GOG delay may not be that big a deal after all.

heh so maybe it's better we didnt get the patch :)

Though I hope that when Obisidan fixes the lockpick issue it will be included in patch we dont have to wait again

Join the Orcz and help scribe everything that goes on in the world of Pillars of Eternity!

The Unofficial Pillars of Eternity Wiki