I feel bad for the non-steam people

Would it hurt to post the patch a as a standalone download on their website like was commonplace back in the day before a million online retailers popped up each with their own download manager?

So very much this.

Better times...

It sucks to have to wait a couple more days, be it really isn't the end of the world. It's incredible the amount of butthurt that's swirling around on the GOG PoE forum over this though.

If I don't have my GoG patch today, I kill a kitty. 

With a pumice stone.

I've all the week end.

Thing is, it's no secret that patching on Steam is much easier for the devs to deliver, so if you've bought from GOG, at least, you're delusional if you think you're going to get patches as quick as Steam users.

I had no idea that GoG would take an extra half a week to deliver the patch. How would I have known?
Because it always happens with GOG? If it's your first new game from them, then I sympathize.

I have it on GOG and I don't feel bad, this is exactly what I expected and agreed to. I'm more surprised to see someone actually bought Pillars on Origin. :p

I bought Witcher 2 on GOG a few years ago and didn't have to wait weeks for a patch, CDP released that on their website for everyone to download. I preordered TW3 on GOG for that reason and don't expect any patch delays either.

People are "butthurt" because these days you just get shafted when you decide to support devs by buying their product. Buggy, unfinished releases, followed by weeks and months of paid beta. Meanwhile pirates are laughing their asses off and are no doubt already enjoying the patched game.

It's a very poor show! The GoG version is entirely DRM free and installs just like any other DRM free product ever made: as a bunch of files in a folder. There is absolutely no reason at all why Obsidian couldn't have made the patch available as a separate download. They have web servers, they could host it.

Pathetic!

Oh poor us....feel sorry for us....*plays saaaaaad violi*...oh wait...I godamn hate Steam with a passion....

You ever thought us GoG users chose GoG for a reason huh?  Why feel sorry for us?

Im curious as to why you hate steam so much care to elaborate, personally I dont buy from GoG simply because my credit card cant be used on foreign websites, I actually like GoG a lot

Thing is, it's no secret that patching on Steam is much easier for the devs to deliver, so if you've bought from GOG, at least, you're delusional if you think you're going to get patches as quick as Steam users.

I had no idea that GoG would take an extra half a week to deliver the patch. How would I have known?
Because it always happens with GOG? If it's your first new game from them, then I sympathize.

I have it on GOG and I don't feel bad, this is exactly what I expected and agreed to. I'm more surprised to see someone actually bought Pillars on Origin. :p

I bought Witcher 2 on GOG a few years ago and didn't have to wait weeks for a patch, CDP released that on their website for everyone to download. I preordered TW3 on GOG for that reason and don't expect any patch delays either.

People are "butthurt" because these days you just get shafted when you decide to support devs by buying their product. Buggy, unfinished releases, followed by weeks and months of paid beta. Meanwhile pirates are laughing their asses off and are no doubt already enjoying the patched game.

There's a reason for that; GOG and the developers of The Witcher belong to the same company; CD Projekt. The Witcher patches will never be delayed on GOG, because they aren't released until they have gone through the GOG process to begin with. It's the default vendor platform for The Witcher.

So.. yeah, that's why your limited experience does not match with everyone elses. The issue simply do not apply to The Witcher.

t50aJUd.jpg

You ever thought us GoG users chose GoG for a reason huh?  Why feel sorry for us?

For good old games?  Absolutely!  For first run games?  Not so much.  There's been too many examples of recent games on there that either don't work properly or don't work the same as the "real game".  Divinity for example was one where multiplayer wasn't going to work since GoG had a different EXE at one point.  Totally pushed me away from buying from them.

For $2 games from 30 years ago that don't run on Windows 7, GoG is great.  For brand new games... nope.  Maybe in 30 years?

Yeah, there's no way this was meant as a troll thread to stir up a bunch of crap, I'm sure :getlost:

I can still play games I bought in the 1970's, 80's, and 90's.  I can do that because there were no DRM servers to be taken offline when the companies behind them faded into history or were bought up by larger, less friendly companies, leaving "promises" not worth the paper they were printed on.  If gamers aren't willing to deal with even the smallest inconvenience to support a world where you don't have continuously ask permission to use things you've paid for, I fear for the future of PC gaming.

The short-sighted outlook ("but I want it now!") does not always produce the best long term results.

• Like 4

There's a reason for that; GOG and the developers of The Witcher belong to the same company; CD Projekt. The Witcher patches will never be delayed on GOG, because they aren't released until they have gone through the GOG process to begin with. It's the default vendor platform for The Witcher.

So.. yeah, that's why your limited experience does not match with everyone elses. The issue simply do not apply to The Witcher.

No offense mate but you're talking out of your ass. The patch went up on CDP's website, GOG wasn't even involved. They also released a patch to remove DRM from the retail version - much to the dismay of their publisher and at no small financial loss for themselves. This is why CDP are bros and the only company deserving of any preorder money. But I digress. You live, learn.

I think they should have been more upfront about the possibility of patch delays for non-steam versions. This is a big enough piece of informtion to influence whether or  not people would choose gog or steam for their backer keys.

1. Some people have tight schedules and can only play weekends for example. Since this happens to be a holiday weekend, there is a possibility that gog won't even patch the game till tuesday. So some people might have to wait till next weekend before they get the chance to play the patched version of the game.

2.Obsidian could have factored this in and at least host the patch on their backer portal to help equalize things for those backers who chose non-steam versions and drm free disks.

Edited by poetic obsidian
  • Like 1

Oh poor us....feel sorry for us....*plays saaaaaad violi*...oh wait...I godamn hate Steam with a passion....

While yes, us GOG-users chose GOG for a reason, I don't think that reason was "I enjoy late patching". I support GOG with a vengeance and hate DRM with an undying passion, but let's not pretend it doesn't come with issues, m'kay? We accept those issues, but it is entirely alright to feel sorry for us based on it. I don't regret getting it on GOG, but even I feel sorry for us in this.

t50aJUd.jpg

Oh no, I won't be able to play a patched PoE. I guess I'll have to stare vacantly or indignantly at my computer screen rather than play the myriad of other games I own...

I prefer to stare vacantly and indignantly.  Takes a bit of practice, but once you've got the hang of it, it really gets that sense of entitlement rolling really well.

• Like 2

No offense mate but you're talking out of your ass. The patch went up on CDP's website, GOG wasn't even involved. They also released a patch to remove DRM from the retail version - much to the dismay of their publisher and at no small financial loss for themselves. This is why CDP are bros and the only company deserving of any preorder money. But I digress. You live, learn.

I still remember The Witcher 2 auto updater was ass, and most of the times couldn't find the patches, or couldn't finish installing them.

Im curious as to why you hate steam so much care to elaborate, personally I dont buy from GoG simply because my credit card cant be used on foreign websites, I actually like GoG a lot

Speaking for myself, I don't hate Steam, but DRM needs to die.

Here's a real life example: Apple, to their credit, stopped allowing DRM in the iTunes store as soon as they had enough customers to make that demand. People who have iTunes music from before that, have some of their collection under DRM and and newer titles not under DRM. There are other online music services and there are other online backup services. If you take your iTunes music collection and put it on one of those other services (e.g., Google Play), only your non-DRM titles will go to the new service. The DRM titles stay at iTunes until the end of time (or until the end of Apple or until you forget what happened to some of your music etc.). The same is true of DRM games.

If you decide to use a new service for your game library (or to keep them locally or do whatever you want to do with them) DRM-free games are the only ones you can do that with - it's almost like they're your property. You get do whatever you can legally do with them. DRM restricts you from doing things that you are legally entitled to do. That is all DRM does as far as I can tell.

• Like 2

I feel bad for people with Steam installed on their pc.

wait dont you need steam to play nearly half the major PC releases now days? why the hate?

You kinda do... and that's why the hate.

It's not a future many of us want, having a single company controlling most PC gaming with everything else marginalized, having updates applied whether we want them or not, having to constantly get permission to play games we paid for, DOS attacks make the servers inaccessible (*cough*xbox/playstation), facing the risk that they'll go bust or get bought out without un-DRMing everything...

Can't speak for anybody else, but I'll happily forgo playing half the games on the market to avoid that future for PC gaming, because I want to act in everybody's interest, not just my own.  I don't want PCs to become a locked down nightmare.  I think there's something bigger involved than whether I get to play AAA game #930143.

Think of it like an RPG plot.  There's always something bigger and more important than your character.  There's decisions to be made that affect the future.

*Edit* typos.

Edited by demeisen
  • Like 2

Not to mention that Steam is full of **** now thanks to greenlight and early access.

You want to be on my PC, stealing my system resources to monitor my activity and act as a DRM?

At lest make the effort to regulate things a bit and kick in the ass shady developers. And for the love of everything unholy, make greenlight disappear.

Edited by DocDoomII
  • Like 1