Patch 1.03 is Live on Steam

Many thanks to the whole team for the great work on this great title!  :)

Can hardly wait to get my fingers on the update.

So, there isn't any other way for GOG players to get the patch earlier than via GOG itself? (Of course we can't demand this.)

(See: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/75150-p2p-patch-distribution)

Keep up the amazing work.

We are currently working on a standalone patcher and hope to have it complete in the next couple of weeks.

As a GOG owner, I much appreciate all of your team's effort in making such a delivery mechanism possible.

• Raised the bonus for having fewer than six party members from 5% per character under the limit to 10% per character under the limit.

What does this line in the patch notes mean?  What bonus?

Bonus XP if you have less than 6 members in your party.

prior to 1.03 - having three characters = 15% extra XP

post 1.03 - having three characters = 30% extra XP

Seconded on the standalone patch. This release has been the worst experience regarding gamebreaking bugs I've had in many years, coupled with lots of silence from the developers and now even more delays, which is all the more disappointing because I REALLY REALLY REALLY like the game and I'd like to play it if you'd let me!

This is the most solid launch I've seen in a long time. And not one of these bugs left the game unable to be completed, so none of them are in fact, game-breaking. People throw that term around without knowing what it really means. The closest I can see fitting that bill is the double-click equip making it more difficult to fight battles. Game runs smoothly, beautifully, is getting very good support right out the door. I love it and am very appreciative of it.

Edited by NineCoronas
  • Like 7

Hey I updated and went to play, and my custom adventurer cannot open a locked chest despite meeting requirements. There is no interaction with it, but Durance can interact without the required mechanics, it just says he can't do it. Did the patch somehow break custom characters unlocking things?

Bug confirmed. I have only a custom adventurer. He is a rogue who opens locked chests but with the new update I cannot use his ability because when I click on the chest he doesn´t move. The main character and premade companions interact with chests (like always, even if the don't have enough skill) but my custom rogue not :(

Same here,  my rogue hirelings has way better mechanics than the rest of my team!

If you have less than 6 characters in your party, you get a percentile bonus to your XP gain. The percentile bonus has been increased to 10% for each character under the limit. That means if you have 4 characters in your party, you gain +20% XP.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

snip

Guys, come on. You knew the deal going in when you opted for GOG. Their patching process is dog slow. You can't whine about your choice now.

Not really

I'd hazard a guess that more people than not were unfamiliar with differences in the patching processes between the distribution systems

Is it our fault for assuming no difference and not researching it ahead of time? Sure it is

• Like 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

It's a little unfortunate but a couple of days isn't the end of the world, though I would like to know what the exact changes to Companions were so I can manually fix them myself now since they won't be retroactive anyway when we get the patch.

snip

Guys, come on. You knew the deal going in when you opted for GOG. Their patching process is dog slow. You can't whine about your choice now.

Not really

I'd hazard a guess that more people than not were unfamiliar with differences in the patching processes between the distribution systems

Is it our fault for assuming no difference and not researching it ahead of time? Sure it is

There was a thread about it the day before launch asking which people would choose: GoG or Steam. Most went with Steam, largely because of the faster patching.

snip

Not really

There were several "Steam vs GOG" threads here before launch discussing the differences in great detail. In any case, I doubt many who opted for GOG were newbies to the service.

A choice was made. Own that choice and move on.

Many thanks to the whole team for the great work on this great title!  :)

Can hardly wait to get my fingers on the update.

So, there isn't any other way for GOG players to get the patch earlier than via GOG itself? (Of course we can't demand this.)

(See: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/75150-p2p-patch-distribution)

Keep up the amazing work.

We are currently working on a standalone patcher and hope to have it complete in the next couple of weeks.

These are very great news! Thanks for that.

But may it is possible to make an exception for the current update and deliver the changed game files also within the community?

As the GoG version is DRM free, maybe it's sufficient to just overwrite a few files within the install dir without the need of a patching tool?

That would be awsome. It would be a nice easter present for those who planned to play PoE during their holidays. (including me ;))

• Like 2

Companions stats seem unchanged and Itumaak is still straight 10s for me, does it only apply on new game?

Your companions may or may not have been affected, depending on if you loaded a save from their origin map.

I made a point to note down stats before the patch. Both Eder and Kana definitely changed for me.

snip

Not really

Everything else I bought on GOG has been ancient and well through its life cycle.

• Like 3

snip

Not really

Something I will attest to. Pillars of Eternity represents my first "just out the door" purchase made through GOG. Until now I had only purchased nostalgic oddities from them. Curious but altogether blissfully unaware of patching via GOG. No matter. Hopefully the alterations discussed so far will eventually remove this preclusion and we can all play accordingly.

• Like 2

Companions stats seem unchanged and Itumaak is still straight 10s for me, does it only apply on new game?

Your companions may or may not have been affected, depending on if you loaded a save from their origin map.

I made a point to note down stats before the patch. Both Eder and Kana definitely changed for me.

I'm not talking about the attribute bug, the patch notes say under Balance changes (not bugs) that they modified attributes for companions and Itumaak but for me companion and Itumaaks attributes in particular (which seems especially strange since the patch notes mention him in particular) are unchanged.

Seconded on the standalone patch. This release has been the worst experience regarding gamebreaking bugs I've had in many years

Really? You don't play many games.

I specifically chose to get the game on Steam rather than GOG because patches usually arrive on Steam earlier and the updating of the patches usually causes me a lot less headaches as well. While it would be nice to have the game DRM free, which GOG provides, if fast access to patches is a priority, Steam is better.

Edited by Kai

Attribute changes won't be retroactive and it's a different fix to the bugged companion stats issue, they just wanted to make them a little more useful.

But attribute changes are base stats,since base stats are in your save file the game can't affect them unless you start a new game.

The game can only fix how bonuses are calculated and applied, which is why the bugged companion stats (Eder HP and DR etc.) was said to be retroactively fixed.

I know I am losing my vision as I get older, but am failing to find the setting option for:

Added graphics setting to toggle antialiasing levels. This can improve performance on lower end machines when disabled.

There's now a "graphics quality" slider in the Graphics options.

Brandon, please extend my gratitude and kudos to the whole PoE team. The game has barely been out for one week and there's already a patch out. Your dedication and hard work don't go unnoticed and are greatly appreciated :)

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I have a question. If i find a hacked update and install it (i bought on GOG) will there be any consequences? (im not saying ill do it)

Install at your own risk, it may do what you want it to, it may have a virus, it may break your game. There's no rule against modding your game however you like, though, so knock yourself out.