Nerfing: You've GOT to be kidding me - get real Devs

It's pretty funny to see in the same forum page people raging about the game being too hard, and others whining about the game being too easy. Leads me to think that Obsidian did a good job, but it's just impossible to cater to everyone.

Just man up, or lower the difficulty. In easy you can beat most encounters just ordering your dudes to autoattack the enemies without bothering with positioning or casting spells. 

• Like 3

Nothing. There are those of us who are good with strategic combat and those of us who aren't.  The ones crying just aren't, it's like the ugly girl wanting to be pretty, it just won't happen for them unless they go for plastic surgery (mods later to make it easier).  RPG games these days have gotten way to easy for the casual gamers and when they don't the casual gamers ruin it by crying until the devs change it.  Then those of us who like the challenge throw the game away in disgust of how easy it is and not worth playing anymore.  I sure hope they keep the minor difficulty of this game where it is.

There's no pleasing everyone. I grow weary of the 'hardcore' gamers on the upper end of the bell curve constantly whining about games being too easy and then condescending to people that aren't in their group of gaming elites. *shrug* Not that I think the game's too hard mind you. I'm finding Hard mode about right for me, at least.

Note I have no opinion on the Slicken spell or Mind Blades as I've not used either one in my run through the game, but it does seem from what I've read that they need a bit of nerfing.

• Like 1

I'm curious where one could find devs who are more "real" than the people who made this game, seeing as how a lot of them have been in the business of making video games for, what, 15+ years? Never heard of this guy named Tim Cain, OP? Josh Sawyer? Chris Avellone? George Ziets? They helped make these little games you might have heard of like Fallout, Planescape: Torment, Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer.

I might be a little biased since I've literally been playing the games they've made since before I can remember (the first Fallout was a great game for little kids to play, right?) but the devs seem pretty legit to me.

• Like 1

Nerfs to:

Arbalest damage (and arbalest is currently far and away the best ranged weapon)

Mind Blades

Slicken

Chill Fog

Sure-Handed Ila

Beloved Spirits

Brilliant Radiance

Buffs to:

Monk damage

Fast melee weapons

Sabers

Many wizard spell ranges

Curse of Blackened Sight

Goldrot Chew

Rangers (via Bonded Grief being reduced)

Bulwark of the Elements

Heart of Fury

The party (by weakening enemy rogues)

You're right: nerfs 2 stronk.

Beloved Spirits is actually buffed since the core talent doesn't effect foes now. :D

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.

I think the issue is people who PC a Wizard and don't want to just be controlling GM most of the time.  Slicken/Fog where the things that made me use my PC more often than not due to the rest system, especially at level 9.

Oh wells.  Maybe the new spell ranges will change that? (Doubtful). 

I agree. My PC is on auto-attack whole time, while i am controlling G-Milf every combat.

My party level is currently only at 7. I was looking forward level 9 to start using Fog/Slicken more just for the fun of it...

Well what you can do when lead designer hates wizards.

I just do not know... My PC is always Wizard...I feel like completely stopping playing PoE, until some big IE spell mod is created. 

You can use a trainer to give you unlimited camping supplies.

I'm getting increasingly confused reading stuff on the forums - sometimes I feel like I've been playing a different game to everyone else.

I'm by no means a 'hard-core' gamer - wouldn't have a clue how use a spreadsheet to help my gaming- and yet I find the game neither too easy nor too hard. I'm playing on 'normal', and have only collected the companions as I've been going along (so no hired adventurers). Totally failed to notice that Slicken was even useful (see how *hard-core* I am?) and am progressing steadily through Defiance Bay. I don't save-scum, but have only died twice (due to my doing really stupid things, like accidentally trying to tank with Aloth because I had the wrong character selected). Nor do I find combat a breeze - a few I've had to leave and come back later, and there have been many tight calls. And no, I've not got the uber-stat bug on any of my npcs - I checked.

I'm having a great time in combat - what am I doing wrong? ;)

Nothing. There are those of us who are good with strategic combat and those of us who aren't.  The ones crying just aren't, it's like the ugly girl wanting to be pretty, it just won't happen for them unless they go for plastic surgery (mods later to make it easier).  RPG games these days have gotten way to easy for the casual gamers and when they don't the casual gamers ruin it by crying until the devs change it.  Then those of us who like the challenge throw the game away in disgust of how easy it is and not worth playing anymore.  I sure hope they keep the minor difficulty of this game where it is.

Actually, dork, you are the ugly girl.

I play solo or with a small party - it makes the game much harder and I don't save scum either - I use tactics and thought and patience.  It's EASY to make a 5-6 person party and steamroll the game on normal or hard.  EASY.  You don't even have to think.  You just put two tanks in front, then use spells and range and obliterate everything.

If you CAN'T play the game on normal or hard with a party something is seriously wrong with you.

So, join the grown ups in conversation.  Some of us want the freedom to play with small parties without the devs getting butthurt that we aren't using a full party.  Why are they butthurt?  Because they are clearly watching the boards and only nerfing things that help small parties/solo play .... they seem to have a weird hangup with making people have a complete party.... or else.

Get it?  I doubt it.

No one wants a cakewalk.  We just don't understand why the devs insist on people steamrolling on hard with a party but won't let people make smaller groups without nerfing the few things that help.

Changing, for example, mind blades has ZERO effect on someone with a party - there are tons of other over powered options to choose from....... but it affects someone solo/small party out of proportion.  Same with nerf to animat horn.  Same with other nerfs that are easily worked around by a party, but not so much a solo/small party.  

Edited by revjwh

To those who don't understand the opening post: take a class in reading comprehension.  The issue is the desire to have the freedom to play with a small (1-3) member party without going insane or having to make spreadsheets/memorize the game..... but rather, use good tactics, patience, resources - these should allow victory since a 4-6 member party can basically walk into a room and win (if you can't you don't know how to play). 

I'm getting increasingly confused reading stuff on the forums - sometimes I feel like I've been playing a different game to everyone else.

I'm by no means a 'hard-core' gamer - wouldn't have a clue how use a spreadsheet to help my gaming- and yet I find the game neither too easy nor too hard. I'm playing on 'normal', and have only collected the companions as I've been going along (so no hired adventurers). Totally failed to notice that Slicken was even useful (see how *hard-core* I am?) and am progressing steadily through Defiance Bay. I don't save-scum, but have only died twice (due to my doing really stupid things, like accidentally trying to tank with Aloth because I had the wrong character selected). Nor do I find combat a breeze - a few I've had to leave and come back later, and there have been many tight calls. And no, I've not got the uber-stat bug on any of my npcs - I checked.

I'm having a great time in combat - what am I doing wrong? ;)

Actually, dork, you are the ugly girl.

That moment when a bunch of greasy neckbeards argue on a forum for a CRPG about which one of them is the pretty girl and which is the ugly girl...

To those who don't understand the opening post: take a class in reading comprehension.  The issue is the desire to have the freedom to play with a small (1-3) member party without going insane or having to make spreadsheets/memorize the game..... but rather, use good tactics, patience, resources - these should allow victory since a 4-6 member party can basically walk into a room and win (if you can't you don't know how to play). 

Are you playing on Easy? Because if you're complaining that the game is too hard and you're NOT playing on the easiest difficulty then you just have brain problems.

I always say that and it drives people like the original poster mad.  You have no business complaining about the difficulty if you're not playing on easy.

Everybody wants to feel like they're an above average player which means that bad players want Hard to be easier so they can play it.

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL8e2ujXe8g

• Like 3

Why would it drive me mad?  Lol, although I liked Dirigibles comment about people arguing about pretty/ugly girl.  

It's not about feeling like an above average player (sigh) it's about having FUN doing it the way you want ..... i.e. if a PARTY can steamroll (which I can easily do with 4-6 characters on hard) then it makes sense that if you take a smaller party and use carefully selected tactics, spells etc. you should be fine .... but in this case, the devs seem to be watching whatever strategies people post in the solo threads and then they nerf it..... we aren't sure why.

Why would it drive me mad?  Lol, although I liked Dirigibles comment about people arguing about pretty/ugly girl.  

It's not about feeling like an above average player (sigh) it's about having FUN doing it the way you want ..... i.e. if a PARTY can steamroll (which I can easily do with 4-6 characters on hard) then it makes sense that if you take a smaller party and use carefully selected tactics, spells etc. you should be fine .... but in this case, the devs seem to be watching whatever strategies people post in the solo threads and then they nerf it..... we aren't sure why.

So I just want to be clear here...

The game is too hard for you, in your chosen playstyle... but you refuse to lower the difficulty.

INSTEAD you want the devs to rebalance the game so that the game will be easier for you, but without you having to change difficulties.

Is that about right?

So I just want to be clear here...

The game is too hard for you, in your chosen playstyle... but you refuse to lower the difficulty.

INSTEAD you want the devs to rebalance the game so that the game will be easier for you, but without you having to change difficulties.

Is that about right?

Nope - totally wrong.

I want to know why the devs are nerfing things that are being discussed in the solo play threads and clearly leaving other things alone that are OP but seem ok to do as long as you are playing a party i.e. playing the way they want you to......

I don't want them to rebalance the game.  I want them to leave it alone.  It's clearly been hard for a lot of people on normal even with a party (I'm not one of them).  So the balance is already there.  What's weird is they clearly are reading the solo threads and then changing strategies/spells/items that work.... people are even joking about it on those threads.

Doesn't make sense.... b/c it's easy to steamroll this game on hard and lower for most of us with a party.  It's like they can't balance party combat so they want to punish people who can play without a large party......

Sigh.  Because easy is a cakewalk with any character.... one, two - doesn't matter it's a cakewalk.

So then people played normal or higher - but suddenly the devs started reading the solo threads and nerfing anything that was helping play on the higher difficulties..... which is weird.

If they were nerfing things across the board it would make sense.  Then, if I choose to play solo, that's my choice and it's obviously much harder now.

But they aren't.  Changing mind blades, or the summon horn, or slicken, or ice fog or any of the other nerfs only primarily affects solo players.... it becomes irrelevant for large party players b/c there are still a ton of other options for people with a party that make them OP.

My opening post was written in frustration and so it doesn't state well that it is only applicable to solo play (or with one other character).  If you don't get it now, I don't know how to explain it any further.  All I know is people are clearly noticing the devs doing it b/c people are joking that we should discuss solo play somewhere other than the forums so the devs can't keep nerfing tactics that only work solo while they seem content to let large parties steamroll the game......