Nerfing: You've GOT to be kidding me - get real Devs

So, I'm fighting 4 feral druids - you know, the ones who can change cast lighting strikes that stun you, do 50 points of damage, have a huge area of effect, and once you are hit w/a bolt and run out of the circle it follows you anyways.

Yet, the devs are going to nerf Slicken (to one target) and Mind Blades (which when my 5th level Cipher cast on them it made a 'dink' sound and didn't work anyways) ......

Are you kidding me?

Do you realize how many average gamers/casual gamers are rage quitting and reloading over and over and over.

I realize there are people who make spreadsheets and other crap to play this game - that is insane to me and any casual gamer who plays to have fun and has to balance it with real life.

Then there is the pride of 4 lions - elder lion and 3 others - who can roar, do 1/3rd of my 76 deflection fighter's health in a hit (1 lion) and get 3 hits in before I can cast one spell....

But, yeah, let's nerf the few available spells/abilities that can at least help a little bit.

I'm starting to get pissed.  

Don't tell me I don't know tactics.  I solo'd the whole first Act with a Cipher to teach myself the game .... I cleared Raedric's Hold by myself on normal with him (I know there are people doing it on PotD and Hard etc..... a few.....).  

I play to have fun.  I play to not have to reload 888888888888888888888 times.  

The number of ways a group of enemies can stunlock/freeze/daze your entire party is legion.  Meanwhile they sport deflection/defenses at level 3 that my 5th levels barely have...... yet, the devs want to nerf more.

I like the game's story, areas etc. but not sure I want to be forced to play a 6 man team (I was using 2-3 characters for the above druids and lions after solo-ing Act 1....) or face imminent destruction b/c the Devs decided to force feed me their concept of team play ......

Successor to the IE games?  Not by a long shot - the freedom in those was phenomenal.  PoE picks a narrow path and says: walk it.  Beginning with forcing me to have a huge party......

I completed BG2 with 3 different classes solo without tons of spam and my first play through, brand new to the game, I played it with a party of 3 and did just fine.

Rant off.

• Like 6

Okay.  Casual gamers were not the target audience for this game, though, and the reviews have all been pretty clear about combat being difficult.  That said, I would not be at all surprised if it was eventually modded to be easier for those who wish for such.

• Like 2

Nerfs to:
Arbalest damage (and arbalest is currently far and away the best ranged weapon)
Mind Blades
Slicken
Chill Fog
Sure-Handed Ila
Beloved Spirits
Brilliant Radiance

Buffs to:
Monk damage
Fast melee weapons
Sabers
Many wizard spell ranges
Curse of Blackened Sight
Goldrot Chew
Rangers (via Bonded Grief being reduced)
Bulwark of the Elements
Heart of Fury
The party (by weakening enemy rogues)

You're right: nerfs 2 stronk.

• Like 12

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

Slicken isn't being nerfed to one target, it's being nerfed to a single shot (as in, doesn't create a persistent AoE).

Also, Mind Blades is OP right now. There's no denying that.

Thirdly, re: solo games - they are buffing solo characters by doubling the XP bonus they'll get. Beyond that, you should keep in mind that the game IS designed primarily around a full party. Solo mode is an edge case with very high difficulty - you may want to tone the difficulty level down to solo the game (and there's nothing wrong with that).

Finally, you might want to modulate your tone. There may be good feedback about the difficulty and encounter design hidden in that post, but it's hard to find underneath the surface, which just comes across as whining.

• Like 13

You can use those "cheap" Druid skills as well. Also, CC the pride of lions.

Oh, but didn't you know slicken according to the OP is the only CC spell.  Nothing else would work in its place.   I love seeing the normies squirm and hope they stick to their guns in not turning this into another faceroll RPG.

So, I'm fighting 4 feral druids - you know, the ones who can change cast lighting strikes that stun you, do 50 points of damage, have a huge area of effect, and once you are hit w/a bolt and run out of the circle it follows you anyways.

Yet, the devs are going to nerf Slicken (to one target) and Mind Blades (which when my 5th level Cipher cast on them it made a 'dink' sound and didn't work anyways) ......

Are you kidding me?

Do you realize how many average gamers/casual gamers are rage quitting and reloading over and over and over.

I realize there are people who make spreadsheets and other crap to play this game - that is insane to me and any casual gamer who plays to have fun and has to balance it with real life.

Then there is the pride of 4 lions - elder lion and 3 others - who can roar, do 1/3rd of my 76 deflection fighter's health in a hit (1 lion) and get 3 hits in before I can cast one spell....

But, yeah, let's nerf the few available spells/abilities that can at least help a little bit.

Don't tell me I don't know tactics.  I solo'd the whole first Act with a Cipher to teach myself the game .... I cleared Raedric's Hold by myself on normal with him (I know there are people doing it on PotD and Hard etc..... a few.....).  

The number of ways a group of enemies can stunlock/freeze/daze your entire party is legion.  Meanwhile they sport deflection/defenses at level 3 that my 5th levels barely have...... yet, the devs want to nerf more.

I like the game's story, areas etc. but not sure I want to be forced to play a 6 man team (I was using 2-3 characters for the above druids and lions after solo-ing Act 1....) or face imminent destruction b/c the Devs decided to force feed me their concept of team play ......

Successor to the IE games?  Not by a long shot - the freedom in those was phenomenal.  PoE picks a narrow path and says: walk it.  Beginning with forcing me to have a huge party......

I completed BG2 with 3 different classes solo without tons of spam and my first play through, brand new to the game, I played it with a party of 3 and did just fine.

Rant off.

Ignore them, they don't give xp anyway.

Are you kidding me?

Rant off.

If BG2 had only come out last week you'd be raging on it for the exact same reasons. PoE is not harder than BG ou BG2, not in the slightest.

• Like 1

I'm getting increasingly confused reading stuff on the forums - sometimes I feel like I've been playing a different game to everyone else.

I'm by no means a 'hard-core' gamer - wouldn't have a clue how use a spreadsheet to help my gaming- and yet I find the game neither too easy nor too hard. I'm playing on 'normal', and have only collected the companions as I've been going along (so no hired adventurers). Totally failed to notice that Slicken was even useful (see how *hard-core* I am?) and am progressing steadily through Defiance Bay. I don't save-scum, but have only died twice (due to my doing really stupid things, like accidentally trying to tank with Aloth because I had the wrong character selected). Nor do I find combat a breeze - a few I've had to leave and come back later, and there have been many tight calls. And no, I've not got the uber-stat bug on any of my npcs - I checked.

I'm having a great time in combat - what am I doing wrong? ;)

• Like 13

I'm getting increasingly confused reading stuff on the forums - sometimes I feel like I've been playing a different game to everyone else.

I'm by no means a 'hard-core' gamer - wouldn't have a clue how use a spreadsheet to help my gaming- and yet I find the game neither too easy nor too hard. I'm playing on 'normal', and have only collected the companions as I've been going along (so no hired adventurers). Totally failed to notice that Slicken was even useful (see how *hard-core* I am?) and am progressing steadily through Defiance Bay. I don't save-scum, but have only died twice (due to my doing really stupid things, like accidentally trying to tank with Aloth because I had the wrong character selected). Nor do I find combat a breeze - a few I've had to leave and come back later, and there have been many tight calls. And no, I've not got the uber-stat bug on any of my npcs - I checked.

You sound like me.

There are many types who play these types of games. I've seen some jokingly request that the Game be set to the hardest mode by default. :)

That certainly isn't me. I'm the guy who plays in 'normal' and plays causually. The guy who plays perhaps 2 hours a day, if that, because that's all I have time for between work and other obligations that are more important to me. To me, this game is 'entertainment'. I play for enjoyment.

Oh yes, there is something really, really wrong with us :no:

• Like 2

Nothing. There are those of us who are good with strategic combat and those of us who aren't.  The ones crying just aren't, it's like the ugly girl wanting to be pretty, it just won't happen for them unless they go for plastic surgery (mods later to make it easier).  RPG games these days have gotten way to easy for the casual gamers and when they don't the casual gamers ruin it by crying until the devs change it.  Then those of us who like the challenge throw the game away in disgust of how easy it is and not worth playing anymore.  I sure hope they keep the minor difficulty of this game where it is.

I'm glad that monks are getting a buff, they do seem a bit under whelming in terms of damage, but still, they are an awesome class to play. its all about checks and balances, Im sure the game will be tweaked over the course of many months and more. I'm fine with most of the changes,

Mind Blades ... nooooooo! Don't take away my Mind Blades!

And yes, those druids with the non-stop lightning are nine kinds of obnoxious.

But I'm really not sure how a game could possibly be balanced to allow for a six-person party without making a one-to-three-person party quite difficult -- unless encounters were scaled to party size, which would be super-cheesy and bad.

Obviously Obsidian is going to primarily balance their game for a full-size party, and on the whole people doing solo runs are doing so because they want the extra challenge, no? Seems to me that the players who want to play solo or two-man the game but don't want to be challenged would be a pretty tiny group.

• Like 2

DID YOU KNOW: *Missing String*

"do you realize how many average gamers/casual gamers are rage quitting and reloading over and over and over."

I don't. Can yoy tell me how many, and how you know?

• Like 6

I think the issue is people who Player_Character a Wizard and don't want to just be controlling GM most of the time.  Slicken/Fog where the things that made me use my PC more often than not due to the rest system, especially at level 9.

Oh wells.  Maybe the new spell ranges will change that?  

I would have loved a buff to the book attacks and implements to compensate. 

Edited by Parsong
  • Like 1

I think the issue is people who PC a Wizard and don't want to just be controlling GM most of the time.  Slicken/Fog where the things that made me use my PC more often than not due to the rest system, especially at level 9.

Oh wells.  Maybe the new spell ranges will change that? (Doubtful). 

I agree. My PC is on auto-attack whole time, while i am controlling G-Milf every combat.

My party level is currently only at 7. I was looking forward level 9 to start using Fog/Slicken more just for the fun of it...

Well what you can do when lead designer hates wizards.

I just do not know... My PC is always Wizard...I feel like completely stopping playing PoE, until some big IE spell mod is created. 

Edited by Ondb
  • Like 1