This game lacks content

Hello, sorry for my english in advance...

So this game is better than 90% of rpg for past 10 years.. but still a great disappointment.

I write all this because i hope that someone from devs will read and will find something useful and next games/addons will be better. I reaaaly hope.

The biggest №1 problem of this game is BORING dungeons. In fact theres no dungeons, there`s only monsters.

Let`s compare first dungeon from BG2 and any dungeon in PoE.

Irenicus Dungeon:

Room1: Cutscene with Irenicus, 3 npcs to interact with, you will find strange portal if you go top room and warehouse with traps to the left room.

Room2: Strange machine shoots lightning and spawns mephits

Room3: Crystal room with Genie who wants to ask you a question. multiple solutions

Tunnel with goblins

Room4: Small room with golem, you can gain much info from him and even pretend to be its master

Room5: Laboratory, you can speak with trapped creatures if you got special item and gain some info about the dungeon and its master.

etc... I think you got the main idea. Lots of interactions and actions. Fun? Fun!

Now lets check any PoE dungeon (exept first one... its ok)

Room1: Monsters

Room2: Monsters

Room3: Monsters

etc. 

That endless routes dungeon is a big joke. I expected something like Watcher`s Keep (BG:ToB)

№2 (Most)Quests are too short, plain and do not affect anything. 

Remember all these great quests from BG?: The cult of unseeing eye, Circus quests, Umar Hills quest, Windspear Hill quest, De`arnise Keep quest and much much more....

№3 Pathfinding is terrible.

If you send 4 guys to kill 1 creature, first 2 will attack it and other 2 will stand behind(first 2) and do nothing. Some AI will be great too, because sometimes heroes dont even fight back and just stand.

№4 Players Home is useless.

Sure, we can upgrade something, hire mercenaries... but what for? Theres no quests or interesting events. Planar Spere or De`Arnise Keep were much better in that case.

№5 Those drawn by hand scenes (dont know how to call them) This stuff is great! More please!

№6  More legendary cool-looking equipment and more various monsters please! (Helm of Balduran T_T ) Well, I guess you did not have time for all this stuff... but still...

Tnx for reading, maybe i am wrong, but thats my opinion. GL 

• Like 2

Sounds to me like you haven't even done that many dungeons in the game since they do have puzzles, interaction, dialog and and the like. 

And for all the "greatness" of the starting dungeon in BG2, one of the most popular mods for the game was a mod that allowed you to skip it entirely. Why? Because in the end, it was still an extremely linear dungeon where none of your choices really mattered that much, and it was too long.

And I do remember those quests. They involved starting dialogue, monsters, middle dialogue, monsters, boss, ending dialogue. Pretty much the same as this game. 

• Like 9

Well yeah, PoE is more like BG1, but i hoped it would be better than BG2, thats why...

Sleazebag, 1 interaction per dungeon floor is not enough for the game about dungeons. Irenicus dungeon was only example and its still much more fun than most of PoE dungeons. Too much fighting in PoE, thats what im trying to say. Dungeon in Stormwall Gorgeis ok too, but its too small.

One thing to realize, too, is that (if what i read on the web was close to reality, anyway) Obsidian made this game on something like a $4 million dollar budget.  Compare that to Skyrim, with a $90 million development budget, and I think it's amazing there's as much good content as there is!  To me PoE is a hugely better game, and with 1/22 of the dev budget.

But this is a good sign, because if this game succeeds in a big way, they can probably push the envelope a bit more on the next instalment.  I'm of the opinion that it's better to start semi-modest and move up.  Sometimes if you start too big, it can all fall apart under its own weight.  I'd rather see them put together something solid and fun like PoE, which is their own intellectual property, and not beholden to publishers.  They can expand on this in the future, adding new spells/abilities, new classes, and making new high quality stories all based on this basic system.

I'm kinda psyched about where this could go.  Could be another golden age of RPGs, almost.  I won't call PoE perfect, but it's hit a lot of the right chords, and more notes can be played in the future.

• Like 1

POE is better compared to BG1 in terms of scope. I agree it doesn't come close to BG2. Of course, basically no RPG since has.

• Like 7

POE is better compared to BG1 in terms of scope. I agree it doesn't come close to BG2. Of course, basically no RPG since has.

If history is to repeat itself, i would imagine future titles in the PoE series (if that is what Obsidian will do) will trend more towards the majesty of BG2 in terms of length, depth and amazing content. PoE is great. I only hope that Obsidian uses this momentum to continue developing great worlds.

• Like 1

Bell Puzzle. 'nuff Said.

I had a character with lvl 7 mechanics and found an item that allowed me to bypass the puzzle. I laugh because I read about the puzzle and thought I missed something and returned there to find out what I missed only to find that having a high mechanics score allows you to skip puzzles.

• Like 2

I had a character with lvl 7 mechanics and found an item that allowed me to bypass the puzzle. I laugh because I read about the puzzle and thought I missed something and returned there to find out what I missed only to find that having a high mechanics score allows you to skip puzzles.

Really? My next character is so gonna have High Mechanics

irenicus dungeon was pure art.. the characters, the environment, the strangeness. yes especially this I think, the mysterious, dreamy, hollow strangeness. i really like it when "games" make you go through such surreal dreamlike moments 

I don't know about pure art, Dungeon-Be-Gone is a pretty popular BG2 mod. Then again, people tell me they enjoyed the Fade as well and I'll just never understand.

I'd say the first level of Watcher's Keep is more interesting than the first 9 of Endless Path though.

Edited by PIP-Clownboy
  • Like 1

Bell Puzzle. 'nuff Said.

I didn't even know it was a puzzle I just randomly hit the bells, there was some clue about not hitting the big one first.

• Like 1

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.

Hmm. I feel this game has a good amount of content. As far as dungeons being exciting and coming across more than monsters, I haven't had any complaints. Currently, I'm in some catacombs under a city (trying to be spoiler free here) and came across a couple NCP's that were VERY interesting-especially the undead one (clears throat).

I love the "choose your own adventure" paths you can take with some of the dungeon events.

As far as path finding-I feel this game has WAAAY better path finding than any of the IE games did-at least when adventruing. When it comes to combat, there has been a handful of times I have to manually click on a melee character to have him go around to the other side of the monster so he can attack. I'm sure that can be corrected with a patch.

irenicus dungeon was pure art.. the characters, the environment, the strangeness. yes especially this I think, the mysterious, dreamy, hollow strangeness. i really like it when "games" make you go through such surreal dreamlike moments 

I would say parts of it was indeed AMAZING, but other parts of it was a bit tedious and very very boring on a second playthrough.

If they'd cut some of the non story things in Irenicus dungeon, it would actually have been better imo.

Haven't done that many dungeons here yet, I will admit that the first parts of the endless paths was a bit boring compared to Watchers keep or Durlag's Tower, but I'm not all the way down yet, and maybe it'll have some more interesting interactions further down.

• Like 2

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster . . .

when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you

This game has of order a hundred hours of things to do, which by modern gaming standards is fantastic and well worth the cost. Typical modern AAA games run in the 20 hour range.  This is certainly competitive with a lot of the older games; it doesn't get to the Morrowind level of a few hundred hours, but nothing else does either.

There are enough different approaches that the replay value is clearly going to be high for me.  So, no, I don't get complaints about there not being enough to do.

Skoegul,

Irenicus' dungeon is the most carefully crafted dungeon in the whole BG2. It's the first thing players see in the game and it's extremely important to the plot. You simply can't pick that to represent the overall quality of dungeons in BG2.

In fact, most dungeons in BG2 are absolutely nothing special, just like in Eternity - and I say that as someone who loves BG2.