The missing ending

Thaos kills the Watcher. This is really something that's missing right now and it's more a suggestion than anything.

Dying on the last fight against Thaos shouldn't just pop up the usual "you died" / load option but instead give a proper ending and what would be the consequences of that. Failure should be an option at this point and being able to accept that you failed would be kinda cool. Maybe just for this fight, change the reload UI to include something like "Accept death" or whatever.

It's too late for PoE, but think about it for whatever comes after that.

• Like 1

There's something sort of like this: you can get a bad end by jumping into the pit without having the favor of any of the gods. You end up impaled on a stalagmite.

• Like 5

"Of all the kids in The Breakfast Club, Ally Sheedy would be the first one to sense Cthulhu's coming." -Patton Oswalt 

Well, after banging my heads against Thaos and his goons for 20 tries with my level 9-10 team on PotD (somewhat smooth run so far, only 5 reloads total), just decided to consider this 50 hours playthrough a failure, instead of loading back an old save and start grinding side quests for levels and whatnot. Some kind of closure if you fail that fight would have been nice is all, especially if there are for other situations.

Ah well, new character, new story I guess...

Edited by mutonizer

There's something sort of like this: you can get a bad end by jumping into the pit without having the favor of any of the gods. You end up impaled on a stalagmite.

Please tell me that your little ending slide thing just shows you impaled on one with a text caption reading:

"Great job. Idiot."

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Please tell me that your little ending slide thing just shows you impaled on one with a text caption reading:

"Great job. Idiot."

It's pretty close to that. You get to see a slide of the spikes at the bottom of the pit and the accompanying text is open to interpretation.

Edited by Logos

"Of all the kids in The Breakfast Club, Ally Sheedy would be the first one to sense Cthulhu's coming." -Patton Oswalt 

Also, an 'expose gods as frauds' option.  Since that is the fulcrum of the entire game...

How do you envision that though? Some weirdo emerges from a dungeon and just starts telling everyone that gods are a manmade fiction? I'm sure that any living world has plenty of heretics telling all sorts of things that seem absurd to the people. The gods are patently real with all the divine attributes. Ramblings of a watcher can't possibly be persuasive (as far as anyone's concerned you've gone insane from all the whispers down there in that dungeon). So first of all you have to do something with the souls. Whether you pursue the goal of exposing the truth in one fashion or another is its own separate story which I can hardly see being successful.

Also, an 'expose gods as frauds' option.  Since that is the fulcrum of the entire game...

The gods are patently real with all the divine attributes. 

Are they? You 'talk' to 'something' in the place they are created, but then again, you talk to all sorts of dead people. Or possibly hallucinations. Or both.  The Skaenites are blatantly using animancy to pursue their little plot, the godhammer seemed far more dependent on the people creating it than Magran.  Was Waedwen really possessed by Eothas or just a watcher/cipher/animancer who stumbled on a ridiculous source of power? (like another soul trap?)

Obviously this isn't something that would happen immediately, but it could involve spreading the idea through...say... that secret society that blindly obeys without needing to know anything at all.  It obviously wouldn't resolve instantaneously at the end of the game, but something that could start in the ending sequence. It was your past life's obsession, to the point that it was supposedly destroying your mind in the present incarnation.  Giving it a good hard think and doing something with that seed is definitely something a rational being could pursue.  Instead we're presented with various options that show the people of the Dyrwood bowing and scraping in their ignorant adoration of the supposed gods even more. 

• Like 1

The gods are patently real with all the divine attributes. 

Obviously this isn't something that would happen immediately, but it could involve spreading the idea. <snip>  Instead we're presented with various options that show the people of the Dyrwood bowing and scraping in their ignorant adoration of the supposed gods even more. 

Well, yeah, my point was more that it can't happen with the ending slides or as the machine option, and whatever the Watcher's actions, for the time being Dyrwood is certain that animancy is evil (is it possible to get any alternative ending in regard to it at all? I figure Sanitarium is always burned down during riots and the people always connect the dots between the riots and the ending of the Legacy). But the very last two slides are: All that remained was what to make of the answer. But at the moment there was little to be done, and the matter would have to wait. A long journey loomed ahead.